Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I just talk myself out of every car I see. I need to pick one I like and buy it. As long as it doesn't fail spectacularly I can fix most stuff (with a bit of goon help) but I'm still so leery. I trusted my last old busted DD through and through, but after 9 years of ownership I knew everything that was right and wrong with the car.

Just as a general question, are the head gaskets and TB hard on the NA forrester? I can pull the motor and am not wanting for tools or good help. Should I buy a rough one and fix it up?

First world problemssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
What sort of mileage are people getting out of 2.2l impreza's? As hilarious as my echo is to commute in (it does get 40-44mpg) it doesn't have AC, which sucks in the summer... Which is rapidly coming to a close...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Amandyke posted:

What sort of mileage are people getting out of 2.2l impreza's? As hilarious as my echo is to commute in (it does get 40-44mpg) it doesn't have AC, which sucks in the summer... Which is rapidly coming to a close...
I drive the absolute balls off of mine (visit to the rev limiter a few times a day, never use 5th) so I'm not the best example but I get about 10L/100km (~23mpg). I'm sure if you actually drove it like it wants to be driven ("I'm a slow car! I don't go very fast and people will think you own a lot of labradors!") it would turn in decent fuel economy.

My best tank was ~8.6L/100km IIRC, which is about 27 mpg. That was highway cruising in open loop on fuel economy tires with the wind at my back.

To make things worse, at the moment I've got sensors of unknown reliability, snow tires in the summer, a partially detached front bumper and worn out spark plugs. So this entire post is useless as a basis for comparison to any properly maintained car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 16, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

27 from a 2.2 sounds about right

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

27 from a 2.2 sounds about right

That's terrible. I get 24 - 25 in my STi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I usually hover at 20.3 in my WRX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

If you factor in the increased price for premium gas I pay more per kilometer to run my "daily driver"/"winter beater" Outback Sport than my remapped 25mpg WRX.

The name of this forum isn't Automotive Sound Financial Decisions Grounded In Evidence.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I get around 21.5 on my stock 2011 WRX.

It can go as high as 24 if i shift as soon as I can and stay on the highway.

[edit] but i think the 2011 might be a 2.5 so ill shut up.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 17, 2012

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
I bought a jeep and it died after a week. I'm picking this up next friday.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The name of this forum isn't Automotive Sound Financial Decisions Grounded In Evidence.

My 5k budget would do great things for my STi :v:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

My 5k budget would do great things for my STi :v:

Engine build. Put over 400 to the wheels. Smile a thousand smiles.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My WRX freaked out today and threw a CEL, but it was just for the dumb secondary air pump poo poo that I deleted out of the map I have on there. Reflashed and they went away.

I'm starting to get "that feeling" about this car though. I hope I'm just imagining things. :ohdear:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Followed Cat Terrist's advice and test drove a few WRXs last week.

This one ended up being the best so I put a deposit down. Can not wait to pick it up sometime next week, completely different animal from the auto liberty I used to drive.

I was a fair bit wary of the car at first due to the fact it had some work done and had around 160k kms. However I turned up for the test drive and it was owned by a guy in his early 40s that really passionate about the car and had taken really good care of it, just needs the rear struts replaced and I'm ready for a track day!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Deuce sluice, what year is your WRX? When i get that feeling all i can hear in my brain is wayne and garth yelling "game on!" Unless I'm making a monthly payment. Then, gently caress.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Amandyke posted:

What'd that cost you?

Labor was $500 and I already had the vinyl but I would guess less than 400 in materials, I'll have to see exactly how much was led on the rolls when I go pick them up.

I posted some real pics over in the post your own ride thread after I put it all back together and cleaned it up.

Here is a sample:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My WRX freaked out today and threw a CEL, but it was just for the dumb secondary air pump poo poo that I deleted out of the map I have on there. Reflashed and they went away.
That happened to me today too. I have to remove that stupid airpump and then turn off the codes.

This seems like the cheapest blockoff plate. Cosworth has a super pretty anodized plate set that costs eight billion dollars.

I think the 06-07 airpump just likes to fail all the time. Mine's at 88,000 km.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I have those blockoff plates, I just haven't gone in and pulled the airpump poo poo out yet. I just pulled the fuses and tuned out the CEL's. Or at least, I thought I did, because it came back again. I need to double check the map in AccessTuner to make sure I turned off P1410, but that opens up another can of worms as I'll have to build a Windows VM first.

The plates seem really well made though. gently caress that air pump bullshit - it should have been a recall years ago.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Deuce sluice, what year is your WRX? When i get that feeling all i can hear in my brain is wayne and garth yelling "game on!" Unless I'm making a monthly payment. Then, gently caress.

07. With payments, although I'm getting towards the end.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I got a terrific compliment today in my wrx. Some random stranger drove by and yelled " Drive slower!" at me as my garage door closed. Not my fault he couldn't figure out the speed limit and left a gap plenty large enough for me to pass him. He must just be jealous of my yellow box of fury.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Amandyke posted:

I got a terrific compliment today in my wrx. Some random stranger drove by and yelled " Drive slower!" at me as my garage door closed. Not my fault he couldn't figure out the speed limit and left a gap plenty large enough for me to pass him. He must just be jealous of my yellow box of fury.
I get that all the time driving my outback which is the opposite of fast. short gears and a loud engine make people assume things.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the BE/BH Lancasters? There is a local one for sale that seems quite reasonable. I've read around nasioc, cars101 and the local Subaru forums and no one seems to have much to say about them. It's s 2000 Lancaster H6, auto done 186k Kms. I'm yet to ask about service history or length of ownership. The Air Fuel Ratio Sensor has been replace within the last 6 months, which is apparently a commonly failing item.

My father put 260k kms onto his import GC Impreza so I'm not particularly concerned about the high Kms, pending service history.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Chiwie posted:

Followed Cat Terrist's advice and test drove a few WRXs last week.

This one ended up being the best so I put a deposit down. Can not wait to pick it up sometime next week, completely different animal from the auto liberty I used to drive.

I was a fair bit wary of the car at first due to the fact it had some work done and had around 160k kms. However I turned up for the test drive and it was owned by a guy in his early 40s that really passionate about the car and had taken really good care of it, just needs the rear struts replaced and I'm ready for a track day!

That's plates are definatly familiar. Looks pretty nice - when you get it I'll give you a few Facebook pages that you should join and also have a think about joining http://www.wrx.org.au - we do skidpans, dirt days, track days, cruises etc.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Our '02 Forester generally gets about 24 mixed, 29 straight highway, which is huge improvement over our old '00 Saab 9-3 (plus dropping down to 87 helped a lot)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Anphear posted:

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the BE/BH Lancasters? There is a local one for sale that seems quite reasonable. I've read around nasioc, cars101 and the local Subaru forums and no one seems to have much to say about them. It's s 2000 Lancaster H6, auto done 186k Kms. I'm yet to ask about service history or length of ownership. The Air Fuel Ratio Sensor has been replace within the last 6 months, which is apparently a commonly failing item.
The H6 Outbacks here seem pretty reliable - I haven't heard of any acute issues that show up at higher mileage that doesn't happen to other Subarus (and they do take a higher octane, I think, which can turn some people off). As always, get an inspection if you can.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Holdbrooks posted:

Labor was $500 and I already had the vinyl but I would guess less than 400 in materials, I'll have to see exactly how much was led on the rolls when I go pick them up.

I posted some real pics over in the post your own ride thread after I put it all back together and cleaned it up.

Here is a sample:

Beautiful car.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I posted up a few days ago saying that the stock rear sway on my 2011 STi was hitting the SPT exhaust. Well, the dealer confirmed that something is hosed, said it was likely a WRX cat or axle back got put on, but the part numbers (which would allow them to be sure) are on stickers that are removed at install, apparently.

So now they have to order a new STi SPT cat back and see if its different in any way, which should come in in a week or so, so I have to give up another weekend morning to gently caress with issues on a 9000 mile old 35k dollar car. gently caress that. And what if the exhaust doesn't fix it? Then the whole rear end of the car is hosed? I could see the assembly line people putting the wrong hangers on the exhaust- like if the SPT hangars are supposed to be longer or something. I think it would look bad to have the exhaust tips hanging down further.

The cherry on the top of this bullshit cake is that they are also ordering me a new windshield visor because mine is coming apart. Again, 9000 miles?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I would say it's just the SPT exhaust. I was never very impressed with them. The 2011+ wrx and sti catbacks are the same thing.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Why am I not surprised the dealership morons have no loving idea what they are talking about?

You think it was just manufactured incorrectly?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

How?

If I get more than 20mpg in mixed driving, it is cause for celebration. It does much better on the hwy, particularly with ac off, but mixed driving kills me.
Maybe I should stop driving like a 17 year old, but still.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My 99 RS project car keeps blowing the 10 AMP fuse for the parking lights. Any ideas?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

daslog posted:

My 99 RS project car keeps blowing the 10 AMP fuse for the parking lights. Any ideas?
Put in a bigger fuse until it stops blowing.

Don't do this. Even if it did work for my 99 Contour.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Totally TWISTED posted:

Put in a bigger fuse until it stops blowing.

Don't do this. Even if it did work for my 99 Contour.

I tried a 15 already.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

nm posted:

How?

If I get more than 20mpg in mixed driving, it is cause for celebration. It does much better on the hwy, particularly with ac off, but mixed driving kills me.

Well, at this point all I use the car for is my 48 mile round trip each day during the week. I sit in brutal I-25 rush hour traffic. I used to not run the AC, but since its been 100+ here I do. I don't think it makes much of a difference in stop and go traffic.

Its in "S" mode 99% of the time with some random use of "I" mode. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time i used "S#." I usually have the diff in auto(-) or manual all the way open. Other than that, the car rarely sees full boost. Like almost never. Which sucks.

So If you want to drive your decently fast car slow, you can get pretty decent mileage with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Probably a short in the headlight harness. Assuming you have a poo poo ton of fuses on hand, try removing one of the parking light bulbs and see if it stops blowing fuses to figure out where in the harness it might be.

I think it's routed under the grille behind the bumper so I'd guess it might have gotten damaged when you were dropping or reinstalling the bumper cover. That's assuming they ever worked, considering the apparent intelligence of your car's previous owner.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Probably a short in the headlight harness. Assuming you have a poo poo ton of fuses on hand, try removing one of the parking light bulbs and see if it stops blowing fuses to figure out where in the harness it might be.

I think it's routed under the grille behind the bumper so I'd guess it might have gotten damaged when you were dropping or reinstalling the bumper cover. That's assuming they ever worked, considering the apparent intelligence of your car's previous owner.

Paid :10bux: for a shitload of fuses. Wish me luck

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

nm posted:

How?

With normal driving, I average 25 in my STi, and this last tank I got 27 somehow.

In other news, I forgot how easy Subaru oil changes are; today I changed the oil in the wife's new-to-her '96 Outback 2.5 and it was a 5 minute job. Took longer to get my tools and (unnecessary) jack out than to do the service.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Ok goons, what is the Subaru head gasket danger zone in terms of model years? I have his 1997 legacy sedan for a good price calling my name. The guy says he has never done the head gaskets or timing belt, but at 204k miles I highly doubt he is the first owner.

Seat had some good info about checking the TB, which I will use if i look at the car. What's about the gaskets? Any tell tale signs?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Today I went to RALLY SCHOOL!

Basically got in a newer rally prepped STI and worked on stuff like left foot braking and how to handle loose corners at speed in an AWD vehicle -I'm only used to sliding RWD cars and it took a really long time for me to get used to how applying throttle in a drift would straighten the angle out and not steepen it.

All in all a fun day. The site for the rally school can be found here if anyone is interested.

Bonus pic: They had the racing suit from Button's rookie year in the office!

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

nm posted:

How?

Do you do a lot of short trips? My n/a Impreza only averages about 21/22 combined, but I'm always making short trips and the a/c is always working overtime.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

With normal driving, I average 25 in my STi, and this last tank I got 27 somehow.

In other news, I forgot how easy Subaru oil changes are; today I changed the oil in the wife's new-to-her '96 Outback 2.5 and it was a 5 minute job. Took longer to get my tools and (unnecessary) jack out than to do the service.

Even faster with a Fumoto valve. :)

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 19, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
They're not fast anymore as you have to take the stupid engine cover off. Filter is still in a nice place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Ok goons, what is the Subaru head gasket danger zone in terms of model years? I have his 1997 legacy sedan for a good price calling my name. The guy says he has never done the head gaskets or timing belt, but at 204k miles I highly doubt he is the first owner.

Seat had some good info about checking the TB, which I will use if i look at the car. What's about the gaskets? Any tell tale signs?

If it is a 2.2L they don't fail head gaskets.

97 2.5 would be a DOHC. It should have failed already at 204k. It's either been dealt with, hasn't and never been driven hard, or hasn't failed yet by some blind luck.

If you really want it, negotiate based upon lack of maintenance. Also a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer wouldn't hurt. My friends can identify revised headgaskets, I still can't tell yet.