Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The last two eBay completed listings for used Sprint Gnexes are $301.53 and $285.32. You might be able to do $350 with a high reserve and waiting a while. Or sell locally on CL.

If you purchased it from Best Buy or AmazonWireless beware that might/do have ETFs of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The last two eBay completed listings for used Sprint Gnexes are $301.53 and $285.32. You might be able to do $350 with a high reserve and waiting a while. Or sell locally on CL.

If you purchased it from Best Buy or AmazonWireless beware that might/do have ETFs of their own.
Amazon's 181 day early cancellation penalty doesn't apply to Sprint customers.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00852YV6E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And tried to use it today with my Evo. It acted like it was charging (CM7, battery symbol had the filling up animation, led light came on), but it stayed at 5% for the fifteen minutes or so I was looking at the phone. Then I came back a couple of hours later and my phone was dead, and wouldn't turn on. So I plugged it in to the wall charger, no light. Tried my car charger, nothing. So I grabbed my sister's battery and put it in my phone, and it turns on. It looks like this stupid thing broke my charging port. Somehow the USB connectivity still works - when I plug it into my computer, it recognizes the phone, but it will not charge the battery through USB. Anyone have this happen? I'm taking it to Sprint in the morning anyhow but it's just a weird occurrence.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bobula posted:

So I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00852YV6E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And tried to use it today with my Evo. It acted like it was charging (CM7, battery symbol had the filling up animation, led light came on), but it stayed at 5% for the fifteen minutes or so I was looking at the phone. Then I came back a couple of hours later and my phone was dead, and wouldn't turn on. So I plugged it in to the wall charger, no light. Tried my car charger, nothing. So I grabbed my sister's battery and put it in my phone, and it turns on. It looks like this stupid thing broke my charging port. Somehow the USB connectivity still works - when I plug it into my computer, it recognizes the phone, but it will not charge the battery through USB. Anyone have this happen? I'm taking it to Sprint in the morning anyhow but it's just a weird occurrence.

If your phone battery is very very low, or at zero, it'll take up to half an hour of charging for the light to even come on. It's also possible that your battery got so low that the protection circuit got tripped. Ledge it charging for a few hours, then try charging with another battery.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I haven't seen this mentioned here and I have no idea how reputable OMGDroid is, but do any of our Sprint knowledgeables know if this is a thing?

http://omgdroid.com/sprint-giving-galaxy-nexus-customers-a-free-extended-battery-beginning-819-no-purchase-necessary/ (free official extended battery for Galaxy Nexus, for new and existing customers)

Also is telesales a 24 hour thing, and do these sorts of things start at midnight?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned here and I have no idea how reputable OMGDroid is, but do any of our Sprint knowledgeables know if this is a thing?

http://omgdroid.com/sprint-giving-galaxy-nexus-customers-a-free-extended-battery-beginning-819-no-purchase-necessary/ (free official extended battery for Galaxy Nexus, for new and existing customers)

Also is telesales a 24 hour thing, and do these sorts of things start at midnight?

That's pretty cool, but I have a question. Am I the only Sprint GNex user in the world who is not suffering from poor battery life? It has been at least as good as my two previous android phones.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

As of yesterday we have not received any communication about a program like this. I can do some research when the m back on Monday.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have been out of the Android loop, but is the GNex really that bad on Sprint? I don't plan on getting one, I'm just curious. You can't mess up a Nexus, can you?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nate fisher posted:

I have been out of the Android loop, but is the GNex really that bad on Sprint? I don't plan on getting one, I'm just curious. You can't mess up a Nexus, can you?

I've been perfectly happy with mine, and I don't have battery issues. But I'm still going to get a free extended battery if that offer is for real.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Cyanogen has official nightlies for Sprint Gnex now.

* http://get.cm/?device=toroplus

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

My inlaws bought a couple of LG Vipers 4G LTE. I suggested the SIII or GNex, but it's their money. I love my cheap Diztronics case, but they don't make one for the Viper. Anyone ever had a Viper and, if so, what inexpensive case (ideally tpu) worked well?

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
I've got an OG EVO, and while it's been great for the past couple years, it's time to replace it (again) for failing hardware. I'm thinking I should upgrade to the EVO LTE. Any reason why not? HTC has treated me right so far, but I'm wondering if there's a phone recommended over the LTE.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Money Walrus posted:

I've got an OG EVO, and while it's been great for the past couple years, it's time to replace it (again) for failing hardware. I'm thinking I should upgrade to the EVO LTE. Any reason why not? HTC has treated me right so far, but I'm wondering if there's a phone recommended over the LTE.

I was trying to find a good ExcessBlarg post for you but this is the best I could find:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've posted comparisons between them a few times in the Recommendation thread, but here's the summary.

Unlike past Sprint Samsung devices, the Evo (4G LTE) and S3 are actually very similar internally, both being based on the same Qualcomm S4 (Krait) platform. That said, the S3 has a few hardware bonuses: 2 GB of RAM vs. 1 GB, and a 2100 mAh removable battery vs. 2000 mAh non-removable.

Otherwise the main hardware difference between the two devices is the Evo's SLCD screen vs the S3's PenTile AMOLED, although they're both "720p".

You can't really go wrong with either device, except that:

CM10 is being worked on the for the Evo 4G LTE. The problem is that while the Sprint S3 has five active device maintainers, there's only one working on the Evo right now. Furthermore, the S3 shares a lot of it's development with the three other US models, with cyanogen himself very active on the GSM ones. And right now, there's fewer S4 One X devices to share development with.

It wasn't mentioned in the post but I believe that the EVO also has multitasking issues that cause apps like Tasker not to work right with a persistent notification because otherwise the app gets killed.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It wasn't mentioned in the post but I believe that the EVO also has multitasking issues that cause apps like Tasker not to work right with a persistent notification because otherwise the app gets killed.

I've read somewhere that if you have root, there's a fairly simple fix for that. I don't have an ICS HTC device, though, so I'm not familiar with the specifics.

I kind of want an S3 right now... Just don't want to spend the money!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

Cyanogen has official nightlies for Sprint Gnex now.

* http://get.cm/?device=toroplus

I wonder if I could get away with a dalvik/cache wipe flashing this from fitsnugly's nightly builds of CM10.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nate fisher posted:

Sprint has really hurt the only feature of the Nexuses, which is fast software updates. Without that there isn't much point in buying one.

At this point Sprint almost seems like a 2nd tier provider, with a crap selection of devices and poor coverage. Thank god Sprint devices can roam onto Verizon, because unless you're one of the lucky few with an upgraded tower that has an actual backhaul done for it, you might as well avoid Sprint entirely for a year or two until all the LTE/backhaul issues are fixed nationwide.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

I wonder if I could get away with a dalvik/cache wipe flashing this from fitsnugly's nightly builds of CM10.
That's what I plan to do. If I'm understanding things correctly, they're the same thing except maybe the boot screen (which is pretty awesome 8-bit-ness)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

That's what I plan to do. If I'm understanding things correctly, they're the same thing except maybe the boot screen (which is pretty awesome 8-bit-ness)

Eh, I didn't like it much but that's a preference thing. I imagine you could pull it out and take it with you.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone planning on picking up a Photon Q tomorrow? I'm considering paying my $80 ETF so I can get rid of this piece of poo poo refurb Evo 3D.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-promo-gets-you-400-store-credit-a-tap-on-the-back-for-switching-from-another-carrier_id33392

Sprint is offering $400 to people moving their family plans of 3 lines or more to Sprint? Anyone have more info on this? I get most of it, but it says you can't use it on a phone with a MIR, but are phones with instant rebates ok? And I'm assuming it ends on the 15th so that you won't be able to use it on the iPhone 5.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone planning on picking up a Photon Q tomorrow? I'm considering paying my $80 ETF so I can get rid of this piece of poo poo refurb Evo 3D.

I'm going to go look at it at least; my upgrade is in September. I want to wait a bit and see how the aftermarket community shakes out (make sure it gets rooted and CM before I get it) first.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Seems partly true: http://shop2.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/OSBrowseAccessoriesDetail?selectedAccessoryID=BXS3780Q

quote:

Buy this phone, enter promo code BATTERY1 at checkout and receive a FREE Galaxy Nexus extended battery and battery door – a $49.99 value! Offer good while supplies last. Shipping fees may apply.
I haven't been able to use the coupon without getting thrown into the phone upgrade page. Guess I'll call telesales later and see what's up. If the initial reports of everyone who wants one getting one were untrue, I wouldn't be surprised.

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!
The website wasn't working for me either. I was able to call telesales and have one shipped for $14 (shipping+tax).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406682257"]
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-promo-gets-you-400-store-credit-a-tap-on-the-back-for-switching-from-another-carrier_id33392

Sprint is offering $400 to people moving their family plans of 3 lines or more to Sprint? Anyone have more info on this? I get most of it, but it says you can't use it on a phone with a MIR, but are phones with instant rebates ok? And I'm assuming it ends on the 15th so that you won't be able to use it on the iPhone 5.

Yes, I can confirm to you that this is legit. I'm pretty sure you can use any type of phone, just that ones with a mail in rebate can't get discounted lower than $50 with $50 back. I'm out of the loop till next week, so I haven't seem updated info specifying the policies.

Stevie Lee posted:

FYI the trade in on your 3D is $75 mood condition, $35 if not. Helps adjust the fee a little bit. I personally would recommend wwiting a week or two and making sure there are no horrible bugs, but that's up to you.

Loucks posted:

My inlaws bought a couple of LG Vipers 4G LTE. I suggested the SIII or GNex, but it's their money. I love my cheap Diztronics case, but they don't make one for the Viper. Anyone ever had a Viper and, if so, what inexpensive case (ideally tpu) worked well?

I know you already warned them, but ill warn you as well, I have had nothing but bad luck from that stupid phone. LG phones in general are just terrible now a days.

The Ballistic cases are nice and come in black and pink. That's what I would recommend case wise.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 19, 2012

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI the trade in on your 3D is $75 mood condition, $35 if not. Helps adjust the fee a little bit. I personally would recommend wwiting a week or two and making sure there are no horrible bugs, but that's up to you.

Is that in store? The online buyback says $62. Why didn't I get an iPhone...buyback on the 16GB 4S is $200+, while brand new Android phones that came out in the last two months are $125 at best.

And it's in excellent cosmetic condition, I got it as a refurb last month. The charging port is hosed, but I don't know if there's an Evo 3D (or 4G for that matter) in existence without that problem.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

Is that in store? The online buyback says $62. Why didn't I get an iPhone...buyback on the 16GB 4S is $200+, while brand new Android phones that came out in the last two months are $125 at best.

And it's in excellent cosmetic condition, I got it as a refurb last month. The charging port is hosed, but I don't know if there's an Evo 3D (or 4G for that matter) in existence without that problem.

Oh drat, I guess prices went down on it. Whatever it says it what it is in store and online.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Duckman2008 posted:

I know you already warned them, but ill warn you as well, I have had nothing but bad luck from that stupid phone. LG phones in general are just terrible now a days.

The Ballistic cases are nice and come in black and pink. That's what I would recommend case wise.

Thanks, I'll look at those cases. They're not really power users, so as long as the hardware holds up they might be fine. Nothing I can do about it, so might as well hope for the best.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Teflon Bob posted:

The website wasn't working for me either. I was able to call telesales and have one shipped for $14 (shipping+tax).

I did this as well and paid the same amount.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

This seems to be working fine. I think there is still some debugging enabled so things are a bit slower than they should be though, just like the other builds.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Got my battery after around a half hour on the phone. Telesales was slow and noisy, not that I'm complaining.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I had to call twice, first person was clueless. Was able to get one battery for each line though, for a grand total of $12 shipping.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

This seems to be working fine. I think there is still some debugging enabled so things are a bit slower than they should be though, just like the other builds.

That's good to hear. Hopefully they get their feet under themselves soon and start cranking out RC's and stable releases.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My friend's Blackberry Curve is constantly roaming here in Chicago, even though I'm right next to her with a Evo3d with a strong signal. She's taken it to two Sprint stores and has gotten useless answers: one said the antenna was bad, the other said the tower replacement thing meant she would roam a lot. Could this be a PRL issue? If so, how do I fix it, I googled a bit for settings but gave up pretty quick.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mastershakeman posted:

My friend's Blackberry Curve is constantly roaming here in Chicago, even though I'm right next to her with a Evo3d with a strong signal. She's taken it to two Sprint stores and has gotten useless answers: one said the antenna was bad, the other said the tower replacement thing meant she would roam a lot. Could this be a PRL issue? If so, how do I fix it, I googled a bit for settings but gave up pretty quick.

I'd like to know, as I'm going through the same thing (also in Chicago). I disable and re-enable the Mobile Network and that seems to fix it for a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone gotten any MMS messages to work any? I've been having trouble getting MMS on my Nexus S 4G in Omaha, NE for about 3 weeks now.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I roam in Chicago (suburbs) all the time. I have an EVO LTE, and I blame it on NV.

Dropped calls have gotten especially bad. If I'm not stationary, holding a call just simply doesn't happen. I wish I was exaggerating. The official reason supposedly is handoff issues between NV and legacy towers, but I don't know, it can't be THAT bad... Everytime I drop a call, I'll notice that I have 0 bars on my phone, but then immediately after the calls drops it jumps up to 3-4 bars.

I brought this up on S4GRU and the response was that the phone is basically hanging on for dear life to the tower it started the call on and will not hand off. Once the call ends, the phone grabs the nearest tower.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Got 2 batteries for 2 gnex lines from sprint.

The telesales agent didn't seem happy to have to process that order. But after 30 minutes it was all done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Has anyone gotten any MMS messages to work any? I've been having trouble getting MMS on my Nexus S 4G in Omaha, NE for about 3 weeks now.

It's been a while since anyone sent any to me, but I got one through without issue just this past weekend. I've never noticed any issues outside of the usual friend with an iPhone whose messages all come through as MMS for some wild-rear end reason.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kyoceria Rise: slider, 3G only, Android 4.0 ICS. 3.5" screen, 1GHz CPU.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/kyocera-rise-fact-sheet.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I roam in Chicago (suburbs) all the time. I have an EVO LTE, and I blame it on NV.

Dropped calls have gotten especially bad. If I'm not stationary, holding a call just simply doesn't happen. I wish I was exaggerating. The official reason supposedly is handoff issues between NV and legacy towers, but I don't know, it can't be THAT bad... Everytime I drop a call, I'll notice that I have 0 bars on my phone, but then immediately after the calls drops it jumps up to 3-4 bars.

I brought this up on S4GRU and the response was that the phone is basically hanging on for dear life to the tower it started the call on and will not hand off. Once the call ends, the phone grabs the nearest tower.

I've definitely noticed more dropped calls and 0-bar situations around Naperville lately, and roaming. Driving to Indianapolis this past weekend, there were big slots of 65 where there was just zero signal, which struck me as odd, because it's freakin' 65! Big Interstate!

Hopefully just growing pains, I've got almost another year on my contract, but man, this is not helping matters.