Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
I have been lurking this thread for a long time and I just want to say how awesome everyone is! Love the yarns, the finished projects and all of the fun.

I'm a so-so knitter, tend to start things and then wander away. Mostly I just like trying new stitches and playing with new yarn.

I'm in South Korea so I do all of my yarn shopping at the largest fabric market in the world, Dongdaemun Market!!! A couple of links below to entice you. If any of you are ever in my part of the world, I would be honored to take you there.

http://www.jenniepie.com/2010/09/dongdaemun-fabric-district.html

http://blog.korea.net/?p=4190

http://kimchiandchampagne.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/crafters-dreamland/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

gingersmurf posted:

I have been lurking this thread for a long time and I just want to say how awesome everyone is! Love the yarns, the finished projects and all of the fun.

I'm a so-so knitter, tend to start things and then wander away. Mostly I just like trying new stitches and playing with new yarn.

I'm in South Korea so I do all of my yarn shopping at the largest fabric market in the world, Dongdaemun Market!!! A couple of links below to entice you. If any of you are ever in my part of the world, I would be honored to take you there.

http://www.jenniepie.com/2010/09/dongdaemun-fabric-district.html

http://blog.korea.net/?p=4190

http://kimchiandchampagne.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/crafters-dreamland/

Seriously this post could not have come at a better time. I just landed in South Korea a week ago. Do you live in Seoul or do you just travel up there when it's time to shop? If you're in Osan, we really need to get together!

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

Pucklynn posted:

Seriously this post could not have come at a better time. I just landed in South Korea a week ago. Do you live in Seoul or do you just travel up there when it's time to shop? If you're in Osan, we really need to get together!

I'm by Osan air base!! Lotte Castle apartments, to be precise. My email is username at yahoo and I have private messaging on here.

We have a group of knitters that gets together every Wednesday night, 6:30 PM at Coffee Mall off of the Sinjang Shopping Mall - go straight from the Main Gate, go past Popeye's, to the PAT store on the left (big orange sign with rhino logo) and take the alley directly across from the PAT store (the alley is to your right); Coffee Mall is a few doors down on the right. Join us!

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

gingersmurf posted:

I'm by Osan air base!! Lotte Castle apartments, to be precise. My email is username at yahoo and I have private messaging on here.

We have a group of knitters that gets together every Wednesday night, 6:30 PM at Coffee Mall off of the Sinjang Shopping Mall - go straight from the Main Gate, go past Popeye's, to the PAT store on the left (big orange sign with rhino logo) and take the alley directly across from the PAT store (the alley is to your right); Coffee Mall is a few doors down on the right. Join us!

Awesome! :D Of course it's Wednesdays at 6:30-- that's the same time as the group that meets on base, though that's technically a "learn to knit" class. I was planning on co-opting it into a stitch'n'bitch, but if there's already a group I'll come bother you guys instead. :D I have a question about the area, but I'll email that rather than clog up the thread with it.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

Pucklynn posted:

Awesome! :D Of course it's Wednesdays at 6:30-- that's the same time as the group that meets on base, though that's technically a "learn to knit" class. I was planning on co-opting it into a stitch'n'bitch, but if there's already a group I'll come bother you guys instead. :D I have a question about the area, but I'll email that rather than clog up the thread with it.

We are DEFINITELY a "bitch and stitch"!!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
My heart hurts to see pictures of that market and know that I'll never be able to go. That place looks AMAZING.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Unoriginal posted:

My heart hurts to see pictures of that market and know that I'll never be able to go. That place looks AMAZING.

Oh god I know. It's probably for the best, though. I'd spend every penny I had there, and end up stranded in a foreign country with nothing but yarn and fleece to sustain me.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I have a friend who is visiting London soon, and I am hoping there are some English goon knitters who can lend her a hand. I know she will be near this yarn shop, so knowing that, can someone help us figure out where she can buy Socktopus Sokkusu yarn that will be fairly near to her? She has never been to London, so hieing off to parts unknown might be a little tough.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Mizufusion posted:

Oh god I know. It's probably for the best, though. I'd spend every penny I had there, and end up stranded in a foreign country with nothing but yarn and fleece to sustain me.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. :colbert:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Amelia Song posted:

I know she will be near this yarn shop, so knowing that, can someone help us figure out where she can buy Socktopus Sokkusu yarn that will be fairly near to her?

I have a feeling Socktopus are online only here. They used to have a shop but it closed ages ago. They are still based near Fulham Broadway, maybe your friend could email them and arrange a visit.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Open question, how do you hold your needles as you knit? I only learned how to do stitches from the internet and it occurs to me that I might be holding mine wrong.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I hold mine pretty much like this, but I hold my yarn through my middle finger rather than my pinky. HTH :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm weird and do whatever is comfortable, which means holding my needles Continental, but tension the yarn with my right hand. Also, I knit through the back loop because that made more sense when I was learning.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

teknicolor posted:

I hold mine pretty much like this, but I hold my yarn through my middle finger rather than my pinky. HTH :)

Same as this, only I thread the yarn through index and middle finger. Just sort of let it hang out--I have no good way to describe how I tension it (because I do!) as it's kind of intuitive and built-in at this point. No wrapping around any fingers.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Wedemeyer posted:

Open question, how do you hold your needles as you knit? I only learned how to do stitches from the internet and it occurs to me that I might be holding mine wrong.

There's no such thing as holding them wrong, you just have to hold them whatever way works for you. I knit with the yarn in my right hand and purl with it in my left. If it's a pattern with lots of swapping within a row, I designate alternate rows as left and right based on which stitch they have more of.

How the hell do people in hot places knit? I'm cooking to death this summer but I have this amazing cabled jumper that I really want to get finished for winter. Each row takes 20 minutes to do but I'm just too hot and gross to want to hold a wool blend between my fingers.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

madlilnerd posted:

How the hell do people in hot places knit?

Air conditioning? I live in a hot climate, and it is rare to find people who don't have it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I live in a Victorian mansion block in London. We don't really do air-con. :(

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The fact that I and anyone I know would only be able to wear anything I knit up for about two weeks each year has killed my motivation on more than one project. The actual knitting isn't hard for me, I did an all-wool Doctor Who scarf last summer, but it's the futility that gets me.

For reference my summers are around 40ºC and winters rarely get to or below freezing.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
My New-Englander-but-now-in-Florida friend credits the weather there with her inclination to knit socks. Me, I like sticking to small projects just because they're done sooner, but after spending a couple of farmer's markets this summer with a scarf in-progress draped all over my legs I see the appeal even more. Of course even with small projects that don't cover your lap there's still the nastiness of the yarn sticking to your fingers. Bleagh.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

I knit continental and hold my yarn weaving in between my fingers on my left hand. No wrapping around the pinky. This was how I learned to crochet so it was easiest to keep doing this for when I learned to knit. I also tension the yarn somehow but it's intuitive as well at this point and hard to describe.

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010

Peppercat posted:

I knit continental and hold my yarn weaving in between my fingers on my left hand. No wrapping around the pinky. This was how I learned to crochet so it was easiest to keep doing this for when I learned to knit. I also tension the yarn somehow but it's intuitive as well at this point and hard to describe.

That's exactly how I do it too. The other day I was wondering how I knit so tight when it doesn't look like I'm holding any kind of tension. I've tried wrapping it around my pinky and that just feels so unnatural. Weird!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
My mom took me to a fiber festival today! ("Did they have a bunch of booths selling bran?" asks my sister)

I saw cute alpacas and petted an angora bunny and got some awesome yarn, a big loop of Peruvian tweed alpaca and some merino superwash in an amazing colorway that looks almost like tie-dye. I wanted some yak yarn because it was super soft but it was also super expensive. Next time I'll know to bring more money :)

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Socks are great knitting projects for warm weather areas, and since where I am gets cool at night, light lacy scarves/shoulder coverings are awesome. I also knit dishcloths for gifts or practical use, and a table runner for my coffee table, and I picked up amigurumi knits book for knitting weird little creatures.

I don't think I'll ever have a need for knitting a sweater unless I wanted to be really really really nice to one of my friends who live in Canada.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Dead Cow posted:

Socks are great knitting projects for warm weather areas, and since where I am gets cool at night, light lacy scarves/shoulder coverings are awesome. I also knit dishcloths for gifts or practical use, and a table runner for my coffee table, and I picked up amigurumi knits book for knitting weird little creatures.

I don't think I'll ever have a need for knitting a sweater unless I wanted to be really really really nice to one of my friends who live in Canada.

Yep, I do socks and baby stuff almost exclusively.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I took a break from knitting for a while because of the extreme heat. Even in the air conditioning, my hands got all sweaty and gross trying to knit socks. So I have one completed sock and part of another one waiting to be finished. And at the first hint of cooler weather, I decided I needed to knit a shawl. Oh well, I'll finish that other sock someday, I guess.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
I made a something! Like a big kerchief or small shawl. First time doing picot bind-off and I loved it. Only thing is - gorgeous yarn, super dooper soft but it's a rainbow colors blend and it . . . er . . . it striped itself and looks stupid as poo poo. But still! Soft soft soft so I will cherish it for its comfy warmth.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

gingersmurf posted:

I made a something! Like a big kerchief or small shawl. First time doing picot bind-off and I loved it. Only thing is - gorgeous yarn, super dooper soft but it's a rainbow colors blend and it . . . er . . . it striped itself and looks stupid as poo poo. But still! Soft soft soft so I will cherish it for its comfy warmth.

Bring it to knitting tonight, I want to see it! I'm glad you got that picot binding figured out. :D

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm working on a blanket for my sister right now, using some godawful fuzzy acrylic. It's really ugly, but I think it's the kind of ugly she'd appreciate. The yarn is from a thrift store sweater I'm unraveling, and it's basically three sock-weight, rainbow-colored yarns held together. Some of the colors look really nice together. Most are awful. It's going to be the best blanket ever.

Also, I'm kind of cold and having a warm blanket on my lap is really nice, so I have more incentive to finish it.

The pattern is Ten Stitch Blanket. You can't really see the spiral pattern with this yarn, but I like the construction and it's ridiculously easy. Making the corners is a bit wonky at first, but it's a small price to pay to avoid sewing poo poo together later.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ahh, a while ago I went on a "I'm gonna knit a huge blanket!" kick and that was definitely one of my top ten patterns. It's really neat looking!

Of course I never even ordered yarn for the hypothetical blanket I might knit.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Mizufusion posted:

I'm working on a blanket for my sister right now, using some godawful fuzzy acrylic. It's really ugly, but I think it's the kind of ugly she'd appreciate. The yarn is from a thrift store sweater I'm unraveling, and it's basically three sock-weight, rainbow-colored yarns held together. Some of the colors look really nice together. Most are awful. It's going to be the best blanket ever.

Also, I'm kind of cold and having a warm blanket on my lap is really nice, so I have more incentive to finish it.

The pattern is Ten Stitch Blanket. You can't really see the spiral pattern with this yarn, but I like the construction and it's ridiculously easy. Making the corners is a bit wonky at first, but it's a small price to pay to avoid sewing poo poo together later.

Oh dang, that looks awesome. Right up my alley. Pics when you're done? I like me some frivolously ugly yarn stuff.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I've spent the past several days backreading this thread, and it was worth it for finding out about blocking alone. I've known how to crochet since I was about eleven, but I decided to teach myself how to knit last December. Considering I'm teaching myself off of youtube videos, I don't think I'm doing half bad. My second knitting project ever:

I've been working on this for a friend's housewarming present. Friend moved in to her new place in March. I'm now trying to finish in time for her birthday this fall. I can do it, right?

Also, a friend sent me a drop spindle she wasn't using a couple of weeks ago, so I'm going to try making yarn. My first wool order should get here tomorrow. I'm ridiculously excited.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Mizufusion posted:

I'm doing the ten stitch blanket with leftover sock yarn. It will probably be done in like 2015 depending on how many socks I knit.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I need project advice!

Here is my Peruvian tweed alpaca. Brown and black, worsted, soft as clouds. I want to make a nice scarf or shawl out of it. I have 600 yards.

This is merino superwash, worsted, 350 yards, in a colorway that almost looks tie-dyed. I adore this yarn and want to make something kind of fun out of it but have no ideas except "mittens and hat" which I'd maybe like to get away from.

I welcome any and all ideas! I'm not a great knitter but I can do the basics.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Are you sure you don't want to keep wearing the alpaca as a wig? Because it looks awesome like that. :)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I definitely thought about it :D

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
For the alpaca I'd avoid doing a scarf only because most people find it itchy next to the skin. If you've worn alpaca scarves with no problem, then ignore that! I'd probably use that as an opportunity to learn a new stitch or technique, maybe some long sideways cables for a rectangular shawl/wrap?

I bet the superwash would look nice as a drop stitch scarf http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/drop-stitch-scarf-2.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Weird, all my scarf-making experience has told me that people don't like wool or mohair scarves because they itch but that alpaca is totally fine.

That drop-stitch scarf looks super badass.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I'm making a drop-stitch scarf with some very nice Malabrigo. It feels like kind of a cheap and easy thing to do, but it really shows off the yarn.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

sithwitch13 posted:

Also, a friend sent me a drop spindle she wasn't using a couple of weeks ago, so I'm going to try making yarn. My first wool order should get here tomorrow. I'm ridiculously excited.

That looks great! Also, we have a Spinning Thread so come over and show us your spindle and handspun yarn - we love pictures! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Look Under The Rock posted:

Weird, all my scarf-making experience has told me that people don't like wool or mohair scarves because they itch but that alpaca is totally fine.

That drop-stitch scarf looks super badass.
It all depends on the quality. The average coarse wool isn't going to be nice, but a good merino or cashmere should feel wonderful to anyone who isn't allergic. Similarly, alpaca that's full of guard hairs will drive most people nuts, but good-quality baby alpaca is like putting your face in a heap of amazingly soft bunny butts, except less gross. Just grope what you've got and use common sense, and have the recipient rub their neck with it to be sure.