Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Alctel posted:

Finally got my drat camera out

Those are incredible. I love the colors on that cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I still don't have a dedicated macro lens, so have been playing with extension tubes.

Hoverfly by Bryan's Photo Pages, on Flickr

Tiglath III fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 2, 2012

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
D800 + 105mm, poor lighting

Img0069 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

D800 + 13mm extension + 105mm, poor lighting

Img0038 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

more to do, but who needs a microscope!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

fairly pleased with this one.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Amazing, those colours are gorgeous. Did you use a flash?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Alctel posted:

Amazing, those colours are gorgeous. Did you use a flash?

Yeah, you pretty much have to. That is full sun, but if I took a picture like this without flash, it would be completely dark. The only light is coming from the flash. I am shooting at 1/200, f/13, ISO 200.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

GBTB 02-04 by alkanphel, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I bought a set of $12 extension tubes off Amazon. I put them on my 70-200, stopping it down to f/16 using the depth of field preview trick. Then I just zoomed on in to 200mm and manual focused to the mfd and focused on some stuff by moving in and out.

I really would like some sort of flash bracket or something, because holding the camera in one hand and the flash in the other is a huge pain in the rear end and makes it stupidly difficult to capture stuff. Maybe I just need to practice more. Also, maybe a ghetto diffuser would be nice on my flash.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dakana posted:

I bought a set of $12 extension tubes off Amazon. I put them on my 70-200, stopping it down to f/16 using the depth of field preview trick. Then I just zoomed on in to 200mm and manual focused to the mfd and focused on some stuff by moving in and out.

I really would like some sort of flash bracket or something, because holding the camera in one hand and the flash in the other is a huge pain in the rear end and makes it stupidly difficult to capture stuff. Maybe I just need to practice more. Also, maybe a ghetto diffuser would be nice on my flash.

Which tubes did you get? I'm thinking about getting the same for my 70-200.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Which tubes did you get? I'm thinking about getting the same for my 70-200.

I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-EOS-Extension-Close-up/dp/B003Y60DZO/

Honestly, they're perfectly fine for $12. It's all aluminum. The mount isn't terrible, but it isn't the most confidence-inspiring thing in the world. Just make sure your lens is nice and securely mounted, and then keep checking / supporting it for safety to make sure everything stays together nicely.

What you have to understand, though, with these tubes is that since there is no electrical connection, you will be looking through a stopped-down lens. To see what that's like, stop down to f/16 or something high like that and hold down your dof preview button while looking through the viewfinder. Unless you're shooting in good light, you won't really be able to frame and focus.

I also realized that at with the full ~50mm extension tube attached, I can just shoot with the flash mounted on the hotshoe with pretty decent results. The light isn't the greatest, but it's a hell of a lot easier to shoot with since I can use two hands. I really want to shoot in some bright sunlight so I can focus and frame better... maybe get some fill light from it too.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Finally bought a Canon 100 f2.8 macro. Enjoying it so far.

Female Dung Fly by Bryan's Photo Pages, on Flickr

Tiglath III fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 2, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Tiglath III posted:

Finally bought a Canon 100 f2.8 macro. Enjoying it so far.

Is that focus stacked?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Nope, shot settings below. Unsharp mask general settings applied in CS5.

Camera Canon EOS 7D
Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 100 mm
ISO Speed 800

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

dakana posted:

I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-EOS-Extension-Close-up/dp/B003Y60DZO/

Honestly, they're perfectly fine for $12. It's all aluminum. The mount isn't terrible, but it isn't the most confidence-inspiring thing in the world. Just make sure your lens is nice and securely mounted, and then keep checking / supporting it for safety to make sure everything stays together nicely.

What you have to understand, though, with these tubes is that since there is no electrical connection, you will be looking through a stopped-down lens. To see what that's like, stop down to f/16 or something high like that and hold down your dof preview button while looking through the viewfinder. Unless you're shooting in good light, you won't really be able to frame and focus.

I also realized that at with the full ~50mm extension tube attached, I can just shoot with the flash mounted on the hotshoe with pretty decent results. The light isn't the greatest, but it's a hell of a lot easier to shoot with since I can use two hands. I really want to shoot in some bright sunlight so I can focus and frame better... maybe get some fill light from it too.

I bought those and a flash bracket/ external flash connector wire thing.

The tubes are fine, looking back on it I sort of wish I spent a bit more and got tubes with electronics to change aperture, but that's around another 75 dollars, and I'm not doing this seriously enough for that.

You can leave the flash on the camera if you're shooting with a lens around 200mm. Wider lenses are likely to cause a shadow though since things will be much closer to the lens.

Also if you're not using a canon flash (assuming due to the tubes you have a canon camera) with a t2/3i or anything like that it won't fire while in live view, which is a bummer as I found that much easier to focus with for this kind of thing.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 24, 2012

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

Ninja Toast! posted:

Also if you're not using a canon flash (assuming due to the tubes you have a canon camera) with a t2/3i or anything like that it won't fire while in live view, which is a bummer as I found that much easier to focus with for this kind of thing.

I use Nissin di866 mk2 on my 550d (t2i) and those tubes and my flash works just fine in live view. Live view is also great, because with flash it simulates exposure, so even when I don't see anything through viewfinder, I can focus with liveview. Although sometimes it is very noisy.

Rovasti fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 24, 2012

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Rovasti posted:

I use Nissin di866 mk2 on my 550d (t2i) and those tubes and my flash works just fine in live view. Live view is also great, because with flash it simulates exposure, so even when I don't see anything through viewfinder, I can focus with liveview. Although sometimes it is very noisy.

Hm, I guess its just flashes that aren't designed for canon. I have a sort of vintage flash I found that works fine not in live view but won't fire in it. I even found mention of this on some website

"In order to get non-Canon or non-Canon compatible flashes to work with Liveview active you have to go into the menu and set Silent Mode to Disable. When you have a Canon flash in the hotshoe, the camera does it automatically. Unfortunately this is not an option on the Digital Rebels"

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I bought some extension tubes today, here is a diablo 3 toy thingy. It's about 4 inches across.

351B2666 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

drat tubes are hard to use, the depth of field is SO SMALL.

351B2689 by francography, on Flickr

Bees are hard to photograph, I missed focus on this one, but it's still neat to see all the hair towards the back of da bee.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

More plant macros

GBTB 02-06 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GBTB 02-07 by alkanphel, on Flickr

GBTB 02-09 by alkanphel, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

somnambulist posted:

drat tubes are hard to use, the depth of field is SO SMALL.

351B2689 by francography, on Flickr

Bees are hard to photograph, I missed focus on this one, but it's still neat to see all the hair towards the back of da bee.

Well that's pretty -- how are you lighting these?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dakana posted:

Well that's pretty -- how are you lighting these?

That's all natural light. ISO 1600 though in shade.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
echoing depth of field is difficult on moving macro targets.

D800+ Nikkor 105mm macro lens + Nikkon ring flash setup.

These were removed and shot indoors against a background, but are free moving.

DSC_0274 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DSC_0282 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

echoing depth of field is difficult on moving macro targets.

D800+ Nikkor 105mm macro lens + Nikkon ring flash setup.

These were removed and shot indoors against a background, but are free moving.

Surely the ring flash is bright enough that you can stop down more than f/4.2 to get more depth of field?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Got my new 50 1.8 today (old one took a dive) and threw it on the extension tubes.

Tomorrow I'll try it reversed as well. That should be pretty fun.

I opted for natural light in these, partially because the sun was going down so quickly and I didn't have a lot of time to shoot.

macro-2 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

macro-3 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

They're softer than I'd like; I needed a faster shutter speed or to use flash again, really.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Made an attempt at focus stacking. I've got some issues with my setup (notably that the fact that I'm using a 50mm prime reversed onto my 18-55 leaves me with such close focus distance that the lens gets in the way of the flash). Made shooting this rock trickier than I wanted. Still, the controlmynikon software made it really easy to setup a series of pictures for the stack, and helicon focus stacked it up pretty painlessly as well. Going to figure out some better subjects to shoot tomorrow hopefully.

12-08-30_202119_M=B_R=8_S=4.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

For reference this is roughly what the DoF was on the unstacked shots

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
A new visitor today, first time I've seen on of these in the garden, very welcome it was too.

Dragonfly 2 by Bryan's Photo Pages, on Flickr

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Tiglath III posted:

A new visitor today, first time I've seen on of these in the garden, very welcome it was too.

I found the same guy earlier this weekend.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SD 103 12 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0151-2.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

I'm not sure exactly what this is or where it is, but I like it. It's creepy.

BioTech posted:

I found the same guy earlier this weekend.

Tiglath III posted:

I dig the colors on these guys. Very nice.

I was heading out and saw a grasshopper hanging out on the front porch right in the sunlight, so I had to go back and grab my camera.

CLOSER AHHH

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dakana posted:

I'm not sure exactly what this is or where it is, but I like it. It's creepy.

It's a small moth photographed through a dirty window.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Got a 105mm Nikon micro from KEH earlier this week. First real shot with it of my frogspawn.

I'm going to have fun with this thing

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

Caught these morning dew drops on a spider web about two weeks ago. Don't have a flash yet so had to raise the ISO quite a bit.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Damienz posted:

Caught these morning dew drops on a spider web about two weeks ago. Don't have a flash yet so had to raise the ISO quite a bit.

It's probably good you didn't have a flash -- that light gradient looks amazing.

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

dakana posted:

It's probably good you didn't have a flash -- that light gradient looks amazing.

Thanks! They were hanging from a metallic railing with the just wee bit of light reflecting from the metal below creating the gradient effect.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Who wants peaches?

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

InternetJunky posted:

Who wants peaches?

Well done. It looks like magma amidst a landscape of abstract birch trees.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Who wants peaches?

Excellent work. Fascinating and horrifying at the same time. They remind me of something you'd see in a move like The Thing.

IMG_9945.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the compliments. My peach mould is coming along nicely.

Something delicious instead of something gross -- strawberry milk:

And something a bit different -- part of my airbrush heavily cropped:

This is a great shot. You have to teach me how to get the fly to pose for you like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks for the compliments. My peach mould is coming along nicely.

This is a great project and the results are amazing. Keep up the good work!

InternetJunky posted:

This is a great shot. You have to teach me how to get the fly to pose for you like that.

It's starting to move into Autumn around here and the days have been a bit cooler lately. This means the bugs are slow and stupid.