Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

Dark Knight Returns trailer is out.

Not feeling Robocop as Batman. Don't see why they didn't just go with Kevin Conroy.

Michael Ironside. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yessss :allears:

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

Dark Knight Returns trailer is out.

Not feeling Robocop as Batman. Don't see why they didn't just go with Kevin Conroy.

Didn't Conroy say he was done doing Batman after Arkham City? Or was that just Hamill as Joker?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TwoPair posted:

Or was that just Hamill as Joker?
This. As far as I know Conroy is going to continue to voice Batman in the Arkham games, Justice League branded DTVs, and adaptions of Superman/Batman arcs.

Edit: In fact a while back he let it slip that he recorded Batman for an as-of-yet unannounced Flashpoint DTV. Though he may be Thomas Wayne in that given the story.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 31, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ugh I hated Flashpoint. Are they really adapting it to DVD? There are so many better choices.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was a little worried about them breaking up the Dark Knight Returns into two films, but I feel better after seeing the trailer. It looks like they're going to break it up into Batman's return/The Mutants and Joker/Superman.

I wonder if they'll have the balls to adapt the political satire of DKR to a contemporary setting.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I'm probably one of the only people who does not like Frank Miller. His work is so ridiculously over the top that it 's comical. TDKR comes off as though it was written by a twelve year old with ADHD. I find that his artwork is just so ugly. Oh well, To each their own I guess.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

thelaughingman posted:

His work is so ridiculously over the top that it 's comical.

You don't have to like his work or anything but really a lot of the time, that's the entire point.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

thelaughingman posted:

His work is so ridiculously over the top that it 's comical.
It's almost like it's intentional!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

thelaughingman posted:

TDKR comes off as though it was written by a twelve year old with ADHD.
I'm...not entirely sure what you mean. Examples?

(moving it to the Batman or Derailed thread might not be a bad idea, either)

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

I'm glad for two parts. Almost all the DC Universe movies feel cramped and rushed anyway.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ahaha, I don't know who the mutant leader is, but his nipple spikes are hilarious.

Also, what's with Robin's glasses?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, what's with Robin's glasses?
She literally got it at a Halloween store, so it didn't exactly come with a fancy Batman press-on domino mask.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Robotnik DDS posted:

I'm glad for two parts. Almost all the DC Universe movies feel cramped and rushed anyway.
They're also better when they adapt existing works. Green Lantern: First Flight felt so uninspired.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

They're also better when they adapt existing works. Green Lantern: First Flight felt so uninspired.

The DC Showcase short, however, were phenomenal original stories, but obviously not enough of a draw to continue making them or adapt them into full-blown movies/tv shows.

What I wouldn't give for a Spectre cop drama/horror or Jonah Hex western :sigh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sanschel posted:

The DC Showcase short, however, were phenomenal original stories, but obviously not enough of a draw to continue making them or adapt them into full-blown movies/tv shows.

What I wouldn't give for a Spectre cop drama/horror or Jonah Hex western :sigh:

The Jonah Hex one was an adaptation of one of the Grey/Palmiotti issues, though, wasn't it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Jonah Hex one was weird because it was like 5 minutes long. I watched it on Netflix as part of the compilation they released and when I saw they were starting it compared to how much time was left I was kind of confused.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm just going to be watching the Batman: TAS adaptation of DKR on loop until this poo poo comes out. :flashfap:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Has Ultimate Spider-Man gotten any better? I gave up on it a while back for just trying too hard to be funny, but the animation was really good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TwoPair posted:

Has Ultimate Spider-Man gotten any better? I gave up on it a while back for just trying too hard to be funny, but the animation was really good.

Nope. I pretty much only watch it because my DVR is set to copy it at this point, and it usually has the first minute of EMH on it too. It's easily less enjoyable at this point than 90's Spider-man is after aging horribly. It wouldn't even be that bad without the whole kid friendly Deadpool angle.

Not particularly feeling the abrupt ending of this weeks EMH. Unless the next episode is specifically picking up where this one left off...

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

TwoPair posted:

There was an episode where Mesmero made Spidey swap brains with Wolverine which I thought was funny. If anything because Spidey couldn't control the claws and stabbed himself repeatedly.

...I could just be very easy to amuse. There was also an episode with Throg.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Was I the only one who was really disappointed when EMH Iron Man's special dwarf-forged armor wasn't some hardcore-looking D&D hybrid set? They pretty much just built him another set of his old school armor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PicklePants posted:

There was an episode where Mesmero made Spidey swap brains with Wolverine which I thought was funny. If anything because Spidey couldn't control the claws and stabbed himself repeatedly.

...I could just be very easy to amuse. There was also an episode with Throg.

So they just part and parcel took a relatively old Bendis story and gave it a Mesmero spin? Doesn't sound that good...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That was probably the height of the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

So they just part and parcel took a relatively old Bendis story and gave it a Mesmero spin? Doesn't sound that good...

The episode was written by Bendis

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=65669

quote:

"Given the continuing decline in the direct-to-video film market and shifting business models in the production of digital series, the decision was made to close Warner Premiere," the studio said in a statement to TheWrap.

Well this sucks.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I wonder what this means for part 2 of DKR?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It'll probably come out digitally with it's animation budget cut in half. Only 15 dollars on warner brothers' new digital distribution app for android and iOS.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
No need to panic, this doesn't mean anything for the animated films. From The Hollywood Reporter:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-shuts-down-premiere-361400

quote:

“Given the continuing decline in the direct-to-video film market and shifting business models in the production of digital series, the decision was made to close Warner Premiere,” the company said in a release. “The division will continue and complete production on its remaining film and digital series project into the fall. In addition, the evaluation of potential digital content will be folded into Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, and Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Home Video will continue to produce and release animated films, such as Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry and DC Universe.

This is actually a really good thing. This means we never have to deal with awful low-budget sequels to Warner movies again. Remember, this is the division that gave us the Dukes of Hazzard prequel as well as Ace Ventura Jr.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 14, 2012

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I watched an episode recently and Spiderman gets off his "Spider-Cycle"....... At which point two children who were never in the episode beforehand walk up and say, "Wow! I wish we had one!"

Such a horrible toyetic moment.

I love the explanation given by the creators of the show, "Yes it's terrible but it's for kids!"

Was Spectacular not for kids because it was still pretty loving awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

I love the explanation given by the creators of the show, "Yes it's terrible but it's for kids!"

Was Spectacular not for kids because it was still pretty loving awesome.

Whenever I hear something like this I wish Bruce Timm and Michael Jelenic would manifest and beat the offender senseless.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

E the Shaggy posted:

Such a horrible toyetic moment.

At least the lampshaded the even more toyetic Spider-Buggy of yore.

Still, I too wish it would the continuation of the Spectacular Spider-Man series, but I take what I can get, even if it is a Spider-Men series that feels like it stars Deadpool with all the breaking the fourth wall, cut-aways etc.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Decius posted:

Still, I too wish it would the continuation of the Spectacular Spider-Man series, but I take what I can get, even if it is a Spider-Men series that feels like it stars Deadpool with all the breaking the fourth wall, cut-aways etc.

I loved everyone's original reaction to the Spider Buggy, "Wow Spidey, that's the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen!"

*Spideman then drives it into a lake after one issue*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Decius posted:

Didn't Deadpool get Quantum Leap'd into young Peter Parker once? They've always got an out.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

McSpanky posted:

Whenever I hear something like this I wish Bruce Timm and Michael Jelenic would manifest and beat the offender senseless.

Why? They got Justice League: Unlimited made just by showing Cartoon Network the toy line and how many new characters they were adding when CN was looking to cancel, because of how much the show cost to produce.

of course, Spidey could be far less.. blatant about it. I did like the BatB episode where he used his Street Louge, though!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PicklePants posted:

Why? They got Justice League: Unlimited made just by showing Cartoon Network the toy line and how many new characters they were adding when CN was looking to cancel, because of how much the show cost to produce.

No they didn't, CN just wanted the show to be retooled in some way, as they always did after 52 episodes. According to people who worked on the show all they had to do was add Aquaman and CN would have been fine with it. The action figure stuff comes from WB not giving a drat about the show after the figures were out and thus, due to internal politics, the show being canned in favor of CN Studios projects.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cliff Racer posted:

No they didn't, CN just wanted the show to be retooled in some way, as they always did after 52 episodes. According to people who worked on the show all they had to do was add Aquaman and CN would have been fine with it. The action figure stuff comes from WB not giving a drat about the show after the figures were out and thus, due to internal politics, the show being canned in favor of CN Studios projects.
Then when brought Aquaman weren't they forced to not use Black Manta because there was going to be a live action series because of course the audience isn't smart of enough to see two different interpretations of the same characters on the same day! I mean what's next? Letting Batman's rogues on JLU while we have them on another Batman show? Those poor kids would have their minds blown. :downs:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't really remember them having problems using Aquaman characters, but it wouldn't really have been surprising. If I remember correctly, JLU's version of Black Manta didn't show up until season three.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There was a Bat-embargo, but wasn't there also some brief embargo on Wonder Woman characters at some point?

Basically WB's embargoes on it's own properties within other properties it owns are a pretty good example of how hosed up they are over there.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't really remember them having problems using Aquaman characters, but it wouldn't really have been surprising. If I remember correctly, JLU's version of Black Manta didn't show up until season three.
Eventually JLU couldn't even use Aquaman. He was supposed to appear in a Wonder Woman episode in season 3 (To Another Shore) but they had to write him out with a line about Atlantis dropping out of the UN or something. That's why they had Devil Ray instead of Black Manta, too.

Glad they don't have to deal with those kind of restrictions now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TheThirst posted:

Eventually JLU couldn't even use Aquaman. He was supposed to appear in a Wonder Woman episode in season 3 (To Another Shore) but they had to write him out with a line about Atlantis dropping out of the UN or something. That's why they had Devil Ray instead of Black Manta, too.

Glad they don't have to deal with those kind of restrictions now.

Why the hell did those restrictions exist at all? I really don't follow their thought process on this.

Viewers would get confused or something by seeing a character appear in two shows? Then why was Batman in Justice League?

• Locked thread