Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Ok so I'm still learning chords but are there any like two or three chord riffs from popular rock songs that I could learn that would motivate me further?

I know it's important to follow the lessons and stuff but it would be fun to play something, some song I know and enjoy.

I'm thinking anything from classic rock to any rock from today, big span.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Try some Johnny Cash!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If you're into the Decemberists, there's a bunch there too (Crane Wife part 3).

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

Try some Johnny Cash!

Oooh, like "When the man comes around" I'd love to be able to play that, I'll check it out.

Chexxum
Sep 24, 2002

Jesus Krist is :cool:
I've been looking at getting my first electric after playing an acoustic for about a year and a half. My budget was $800ish total for the guitar + amp, but then this Gibson LP Double Cutaway popped up on the local classifieds and I've been kicking around the idea of buying it. I'll probably meet up with the guy later on this week to check it out, and since I'm really inexperienced with electric guitars I was wondering what problems to be on the look for when I do check it out. I was also wondering what the retail price of it was, I found this on MF but I'm not too sure if it's the same model. I'll appreciate any feedback or input, thanks guys!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

silvergoose posted:

If you're into the Decemberists, there's a bunch there too (Crane Wife part 3).

Psh, just part 3?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

chiz posted:

Oooh, like "When the man comes around" I'd love to be able to play that, I'll check it out.

That's a little harder, I suspect. Try this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793575850/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
Ring of Fire, Boy Named Sue, Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk The Line, The Man in Black, and as an extry bonus, Will The Circle Be Unbroken. All pretty easy tab.
Edit: Hm. Not so hard, actually, looking at ver3 of a certain tab site. Is it improper to link tab sites?

Anyhow, the thing about Cash is that he's not that fast. He's got a distinctive strumming pattern, and he's fun to play. And you should know the songs somewhere in the back of your head.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 16, 2012

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
So, I am actively looking for a 7 string guitar and have no idea where to start looking.

Is there anything out there that isn't immediately obvious like what Guitar Center would sell? Right now this is what I'm looking at: http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-407-7-String-Electric-Guitar-107250698-i2253351.gc

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 16, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are pretty good, but you should look into some used stuff too. What exactly are you looking for in a 7?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Psh, just part 3?

That's the one that literally changes between exactly three chords all song, yes. :v:

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I take it you are a metal player?

With 7 strings, you need to factor in what you want out of the guitar. The ESP you linked to has a 25.5" scale, the same as a Fender. Schecter's C-7 has a 26.5" scale.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/C-7-Custom.aspx

That inch of scale length will really make that low B string growl, and your low E will have way more definition as well. This is the same reason so many bassists use 35" scales on their 5 stringers. You will need to stretch a little more, but it isn't that big of a stretch and you won't notice much difference higher up the neck.

The ESP has EMG pickups. EMGs tend to sound like the pickup instead of the guitar. These are a personal thing, I'd much rather have Duncan or Dimarzio pickups over EMG so you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of sound you want.

You should give Ibanez 7s a look. They make a bunch of 7-string models. The only caveat is that they all seem to use the Wizard II neck. On my big hands, this neck is too thin and a bit painful to play.

EDIT: Three chord songs that kick rear end? How about a Stones/Buddy Holly tune?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEeau5nHVU

sunburstbasser fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 16, 2012

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

sunburstbasser posted:

I take it you are a metal player?

With 7 strings, you need to factor in what you want out of the guitar. The ESP you linked to has a 25.5" scale, the same as a Fender. Schecter's C-7 has a 26.5" scale.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/C-7-Custom.aspx

That inch of scale length will really make that low B string growl, and your low E will have way more definition as well. This is the same reason so many bassists use 35" scales on their 5 stringers. You will need to stretch a little more, but it isn't that big of a stretch and you won't notice much difference higher up the neck.

The ESP has EMG pickups. EMGs tend to sound like the pickup instead of the guitar. These are a personal thing, I'd much rather have Duncan or Dimarzio pickups over EMG so you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of sound you want.

You should give Ibanez 7s a look. They make a bunch of 7-string models. The only caveat is that they all seem to use the Wizard II neck. On my big hands, this neck is too thin and a bit painful to play.

EDIT: Three chord songs that kick rear end? How about a Stones/Buddy Holly tune?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEeau5nHVU

Oh god that C-7 in white is just loving perfect but unfortunately it's about 500 bucks outside my price range. :suicide:

Probably gonna pick up a Ibanez. I have tiny as gently caress fingers and I've felt a Wizard II on a 300 dollar guitar and it was just really smooth as gently caress. Now, the trem on that guitar was one of those that was absolute poo poo and iirc specifically warned about in this very OP because it doesn't hold a tuning :v:

Right now I'm looking at these two since there is literally nothing for sale local in the way of 7 strings. I can get a 100 dollar rebate off a 500+ purchase so I should be able to get a pretty good deal for one of these from GC:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG7320-7-string-Electric-Guitar-106686330-i1697627.gc

or:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA7-7-String-Electric-Guitar-584135-i1499760.gc

Because I have small hands, I'm also gonna go with regular 25.5. I can appreciate your argument for a fuller sound from the extra inch, but I can't afford that Schecter, no matter how loving gorgeous it looks in white, so I'll be happy with these. Wish they came in a color besides black though.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 16, 2012

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
That is a pretty high end guitar. Schecter makes a Blackjack C-7 as well, which Musician's Friend sells for $900. The Schecter website says it has a couple options for pickups, but MF only shows pictures of the Duncan Blackouts, which are basically Duncan's attempt at doing the EMG thing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-blackjack-sls-c-7-electric-guitar

If you use Ebay, there is a really nice looking Blackjack for a great price right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-Blackjack-7-String-Guitar-Set-Neck-with-Seymore-Duncan-Pickups-/251131676943?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a789d490f

You might consider going used for whatever you end up with. You'll get more guitar for the same price.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Thanks for the thought-food, I think instead of buying immediately I will wait and buy in a few months, because that Schecter c-7 custom really looks miles better than anything else under 1000. Thanks for the input and suggestions!

Buying Used WOULD get me a guitar immediately, but I must say that if I'm going to drop a serious amount of disposable cash I better loving love it, and short of a JP Musicman 7 string I'm not sure there's another I'd want besides that Schecter. :buddy:

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
I know how you feel. If you do wait and spring for the Schecter, you'll adapt to it easily.

Whatever you buy, please post pics/video when you get it. I've been GASing for a nice 7 for years!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

sunburstbasser posted:

I know how you feel. If you do wait and spring for the Schecter, you'll adapt to it easily.

Whatever you buy, please post pics/video when you get it. I've been GASing for a nice 7 for years!

I will remember to come back with a trip report for the guitar goons. I'll have to pick between the Custom and the Hellraiser FR-7, but either way I know what I'm saving up for.

vvvv It will be a few months before I end up getting it anyway since tomorrow I'm going to be officially inbetween jobs. My opinion certainly has plenty of time to change.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 16, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're made in the same factory so try some of the higher end LTDs if you see them too.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Got a buzz on my Taylor 214; think the nut needs to be replaced? How much should I expect this labor/part to set me back at a typical guitar place?

Hi Baku Shyo
Nov 7, 2009
Does anyone have any idea how I can fix an electric acoustic guitar if the jack just stopped working? For a while it worked occasionally, then it just made noise, now it doesn't do anything. It's an old Agile guitar from Rondo if that helps. It seems like it's a problem with the jack or something. Thanks

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Are the SX strat guitar packages are good for beginners?

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010

global tetrahedron posted:

Got a buzz on my Taylor 214; think the nut needs to be replaced? How much should I expect this labor/part to set me back at a typical guitar place?

Are you buzzing on the open strings? If you only buzz on fretted strings, the nut isn't the culprit. If you haven't had your guitar set up in a while, give it a neck adjustment. At worst, some of your frets may be too low or high. In that case, you either live with the buzz or get a fret dressing. Dressings vary depending on where you go, the most I've heard of is around $200 though your guitar will effectively have brand new, perfect frets at that price point.

Hi Baku Shyo posted:

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix an electric acoustic guitar if the jack just stopped working? For a while it worked occasionally, then it just made noise, now it doesn't do anything. It's an old Agile guitar from Rondo if that helps. It seems like it's a problem with the jack or something. Thanks

Unscrew the jack. Chances are, one of the wires was not soldered properly. If you know how to solder, this is an easy fix. If the wires look good, just get a new jack and install it. They don't cost much.

Maarak posted:

Are the SX strat guitar packages are good for beginners?

The guitars are OK to start on, the amps aren't too great. Better than what I started on, but that isn't saying much.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A while back I ordered an AL2000 from Rondo, and while I really like it, I got my hands on my brother's stratocaster and it felt pretty much perfect so now I must have one. However, I'd really like to get one in british racing/candy apple/forest green, not sea foam, and the only ones I've found so far seem to be supremely expensive.

I wouldn't have a problem with putting together a partscaster (in fact, I think it'd be fun to learn a bit more about the actual construction, I know the resale value would be poo poo); does anyone have experience with guitarfetish bodies? If I'm going to build something, I was thinking of buying: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lightweight-HSH-Strat-Style-Body-British-Racing-Green-Finish_p_1285.html, getting a cheap squier off CL, and swapping everything onto the green body. Thoughts?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

sunburstbasser posted:

Are you buzzing on the open strings? If you only buzz on fretted strings, the nut isn't the culprit. If you haven't had your guitar set up in a while, give it a neck adjustment. At worst, some of your frets may be too low or high. In that case, you either live with the buzz or get a fret dressing. Dressings vary depending on where you go, the most I've heard of is around $200 though your guitar will effectively have brand new, perfect frets at that price point.

It buzzes on open strings. I had the neck adjusted and a new saddle put in to no avail. It does kinda need a fret dress, but I don't have the money for that right now, as it's only certain strings on certain frets.

This buzz is like some part of the electronics is loose, it's almost like a vibration, and it gets worse when I go into open tunings.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
It's possible that the wood around your electronics has shrunk slightly, causing parts to become loose and rattle. If you can reach the parts, you can try giving everything a gentle tightening. Without seeing the guitar, I can't give a whole lot more advice on what the ailment is.

Good luck getting it sorted out!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok something just happened to my electric guitar.

I was tuning it and suddenly the sound went really weird as if it is distortion to the max with nothing but bass turned on. At first I thought it was the cable and plugged a new cable. It was ok for a song and then the same thing happened again. It is not the amp software I am using or the audio unit because I plugged the acoustic to test and everything sounds fine with both cables.

Any idea what the hell happened and how much it will cost me to get it fixed? :(

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

keyframe posted:

Ok something just happened to my electric guitar.

I was tuning it and suddenly the sound went really weird as if it is distortion to the max with nothing but bass turned on.
Any idea what the hell happened and how much it will cost me to get it fixed? :(

What guitar do you have? Does it happen in all pickup positions?
If I had to guess, you have a blown capacitor. Total cost to repair, $10 in parts, $1hr labor.

Tricky part is identifying it. In the meantime, try learning some Sonic Youth songs.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking for some inspiration here.

I've played on and off for a long time (16 years) but I definitely don't feel like a guitarist who has played for that long. The extent of my playing has been learning the hook or rhythm part of whatever music I happen to be listening to at that time in my life, and then not playing again for a little while.

Any recommendations for drills or exercises that will get me playing again? Or cool songs to learn? Or any suggestions?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Warcabbit posted:

What guitar do you have? Does it happen in all pickup positions?
If I had to guess, you have a blown capacitor. Total cost to repair, $10 in parts, $1hr labor.

Tricky part is identifying it. In the meantime, try learning some Sonic Youth songs.

Yea it happens in all pickup positions. I have a ESP eclipse 2

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

keyframe posted:

Yea it happens in all pickup positions. I have a ESP eclipse 2

Do you have active pickups? Maybe the battery just needs to be changed.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Side Effects posted:

Do you have active pickups? Maybe the battery just needs to be changed.

That is it! I left the guitar plugged in for the past two weeks which drained the battery probably. Phew that's a relief.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

dexter6 posted:

Any recommendations for drills or exercises that will get me playing again? Or cool songs to learn? Or any suggestions?

My first go-to source of inspiration is Johnny Cash. Pick up a book of his stuff before they close the 48th street Sam Ash, and spend some time being intensely cool, man.

After you're all warmed up with that, try some Link Wray.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

sunburstbasser posted:

The guitars are OK to start on, the amps aren't too great. Better than what I started on, but that isn't saying much.

Thanks, what would a decent/good beginning amp be?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Vox Mini3 will do nicely.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with putting together a partscaster (in fact, I think it'd be fun to learn a bit more about the actual construction, I know the resale value would be poo poo); does anyone have experience with guitarfetish bodies? If I'm going to build something, I was thinking of buying: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lightweight-HSH-Strat-Style-Body-British-Racing-Green-Finish_p_1285.html, getting a cheap squier off CL, and swapping everything onto the green body. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what the difference would be between that partscaster and the Squier you would buy off CL. Seems like a lot of work for no difference at all.

Unless it's just the colour of the body you like. Then I would say just buy a Squier and repaint it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What are the thoughts on multi-effects pedals? I know they are unpopular for gigs but my daughter has been playing guitar for 2 years and practices a couple hours everyday, she only plays electric guitar at home, occasionally plays acoustic at the coffee shop down the street, and I would like to get her a digital pedal for her birthday so she can play around and learn how to use various effects. I want to stay under $100 and have been looking at the Zoom G1XN, G1N, and G2.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g1xn-guitar-multi-effects-pedal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g2-guitar-multi-effects-pedal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g1n-guitar-multi-effects-pedal

The reviews overall seem better on the Zoom products. Recommendations on these or any others that are better?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

wormil posted:

What are the thoughts on multi-effects pedals? I know they are unpopular for gigs but my daughter has been playing guitar for 2 years and practices a couple hours everyday, she only plays electric guitar at home, occasionally plays acoustic at the coffee shop down the street, and I would like to get her a digital pedal for her birthday so she can play around and learn how to use various effects. I want to stay under $100 and have been looking at the Zoom G1XN, G1N, and G2.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g1xn-guitar-multi-effects-pedal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g2-guitar-multi-effects-pedal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g1n-guitar-multi-effects-pedal

The reviews overall seem better on the Zoom products. Recommendations on these or any others that are better?

I feel this is the best candidate for a multi-effect pedal. I had a Zoom multi-effect 10 years ago and it educated me about effects a little. I would say also look for the possibility of one of those digitech ones that have USB connectivity so she could really see what parameters she's adjusting when she starts turning knows wildly (which really is the best part, so gives her best of both worlds)

Like this one: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...CFad7Qgode3IACw

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I dont know how much you want to spend, but the boss me 50 has quite a bit and the pedal setup on it is good for if she wanted to use it at the coffee shop and layer different effects. It has quite a few listings on ebay and is built like a tank. I'm betting you could get one for around $120. It also has the digital delay which is nice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at that pedal and even the positive reviews all list problems so I passed it over.

Christobevii3 posted:

I dont know how much you want to spend, but the boss me 50 has quite a bit and the pedal setup on it is good for if she wanted to use it at the coffee shop and layer different effects. It has quite a few listings on ebay and is built like a tank. I'm betting you could get one for around $120. It also has the digital delay which is nice.

If I were buying it for myself I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used pedal but new ones are well outside my price range of $100 and looking at ebay auctions only the rough ones are close; good clean models are still selling ~$200 or more. The ME25 is a little closer to my price range and also has very positive reviews so I'll search around and see if I can find one.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but here goes..

I'm planning on doing a major pickup changeover in my ESP M-250 since I've decided to whittle down to 2 guitars for the forseeable future. The guitar is currently in a HSH configuration with a hot rails in the center position. I'd like to change it over to a HSH with a P90 in the neck, a strat-style single in the mid position, and a coil-tapping humbucker in the bridge. Ideally I'd like the 5-way switch to go P90, P90 + Single, Single, Single + coil tapped HB, HB, and also be able to use a push-pull pot in the neck position to coil tap it on its own. The guitar only has 1 volume and 1 tone knob. I looked on some guitar wiring websites but this combination is fairly esoteric. I know next to nothing about wiring guitar pickups but I am handy with a soldering iron and can read a wiring diagram just fine. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That looks like a pretty standard HSS wiring to me. Just treat the P90 like a S.

I'm assuming you'll want the GFS Dream or Mean 90 that fits in the humbucker location, so you don't need a new pickguard.
From a Kramer Stagemaster Deluxe

This one doesn't have the manual tap.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSS5L1101/WDU-HSS5L11-01.html

... wait. Why are you trying to coil tap the neck?
P90s came before humbuckers. They're single coils.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 25, 2012