Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bocc Kob posted:

Holy crap, the landing on that elbow drop could have paralyzed him. :stonk:

Seriously. :stare: One of the things about wrestling is that you gotta practise the poo poo out of it with whomever you're going to actually wrestle with, before the main event. Performing a move like that on someone with no experience is a big no-no because you can cause them real damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I loled.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

quakster posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Shinya Arino Megathread: What do you mean by "not related to videogames"?

Game Center CX: Please God Keep Us Out Of TVIV

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

victrix posted:

I seem to remember going through the _whole_ game actually being pretty loving exhausting. It was a long rear end game if you did every level.

It's sort of a mixed bag. He didn't open up the star warps, but he also didn't appear to open any of the switch palaces. That's going to make for a rough experience. Also, iirc, he was only helped by an AD once: the "infinite" lives trick.

That said, he must have lost over a thousand lives when it was all said and done. When I watched the raws, certainly there was a lot I was missing, so I'm super thankful for the excellent translation, definitely. But now I know that it took a third day, the last solely dedicated to fighting Bowser, and it still took him over 80 lives, that was just... yikes! haha The ultimate conclusion I came to, maybe some would agree, it's tough to watch Arino struggle with a game I personally find easy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Corridor posted:

Seriously. :stare: One of the things about wrestling is that you gotta practise the poo poo out of it with whomever you're going to actually wrestle with, before the main event. Performing a move like that on someone with no experience is a big no-no because you can cause them real damage.

Well that just means that it was probably scripted and rehearsed with Arino first, rather than just being a spur-of-the-moment thing like "okay, I'm going to pretend to throw you so hold on to me... and go!"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jimmy Colorado posted:

The ultimate conclusion I came to, maybe some would agree, it's tough to watch Arino struggle with a game I personally find easy.

It's especially weird with how randomly skilled he is with certain games. For instance, not being able to beat Megaman 2 despite it being probably the easiest game in the entire franchise, but actually beating Megaman 3 which is far far harder in my opinion.

I'd kinda like to see how he handled Donkey Kong Country, as that's a game that's not a big deal for me nowadays but when I was a kid I just couldn't beat it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Drakkel posted:

I'd kinda like to see how he handled Donkey Kong Country, as that's a game that's not a big deal for me nowadays but when I was a kid I just couldn't beat it.

Has he done that yet? That's probably one of my favorite games of all time. I still play it occasionally.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Tewratomeh posted:

Well that just means that it was probably scripted and rehearsed with Arino first, rather than just being a spur-of-the-moment thing like "okay, I'm going to pretend to throw you so hold on to me... and go!"

Lies! That was just as genuine and unrehearsed as Nakayama and Inoue wrestling.

PureRok posted:

Has he done that yet? That's probably one of my favorite games of all time. I still play it occasionally.

Yes, and it's a two-parter. Sorry to say but two-parters won't get subbed as fast as normal episodes. But it will get done eventually.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 20, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

It's a two part episode, even. That is probably why we haven't gotten it yet. It is one of four challenges from Season 10 we haven't gotten yet.

edit: Beaten by the woman who knows more than me about literally every thing I just said

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Drakkel posted:

It's especially weird with how randomly skilled he is with certain games. For instance, not being able to beat Megaman 2 despite it being probably the easiest game in the entire franchise, but actually beating Megaman 3 which is far far harder in my opinion.

As a kid I recall the last mine cart level being the big blocking point for beating DKC as a kid. Seeing how terrible Arino usually is with that kind of auto-scrolling timing-intensive things I will bet that he runs into much the same problem.

zari-gani kind of spoils the fact that he beats it by admitting it to be a two-parter though, since it would be very poor TV to broadcast two episodes for a failure ;)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Quest of Ki and Mighty Bomb Jack were both two parters that ended in failure.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DKC has the best drat music. For a game about a bunch of stupid monkies, it's one of my favorite platformers, up there with Yoshi's Island

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

victrix posted:

I seem to remember going through the _whole_ game actually being pretty loving exhausting. It was a long rear end game if you did every level.

I went back and replayed the game after seeing that episode and I still managed a full clear (96 exits) in less than 24 hours / about a 96 life surplus when I hit Bowser). There were a few levels that still gave me trouble but it was mostly one or two of the Special stages and something obnoxious with Cheese Bridge or Soda Lake or something.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Also, it seemed Arino never figured out the spin jump (the X button iirc?). In the episode they focus on his trouble with the guy who shovels small boulders at Mario. I know you can spin jump and bounce off of almost anything that would kill you (including the bolders and the guy shoveling them). Definitely handicapped himself there!

e: and you know, at the end, he seemed surprised there were all those different-colored Yoshis. Imagine playing the game without the spin jump and without using Yoshi's cousins. Would you lose 1000 lives? Probably not, but the game would present a challenge.

Jimmy Colorado fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 20, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Also, it seemed Arino never figured out the spin jump (the X button iirc?). In the episode they focus on his trouble with the guy who shovels small boulders at Mario. I know you can spin jump and bounce off of almost anything that would kill you (including the bolders and the guy shoveling them). Definitely handicapped himself there!

The frustrating thing is that we saw him do it. Multiple times. He spin-jumped a bunch when he had his freakout after dying to Magikoopa a billion times and it just never occurred to him to try it anywhere else.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I admire the iron restraint of their ADs to not tell him how to do something like that. It'd drive me completely nuts to watch him not use a fundamental action.

Occasionally they pop in to help, but I can't recall them advising him on game mechanics/play style very often

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
When I was a kid I never realized that you could spin-jump on spiky enemies, either. The game manual doesn't tell you that you can, at least in English, and unlike breaking blocks with it there's nothing in the game that guides you into trying it out. Since it didn't seem useful outside of that, I never experimented with it and never ended up stumbling onto its actual useful ability.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Benly posted:

When I was a kid I never realized that you could spin-jump on spiky enemies, either. The game manual doesn't tell you that you can, at least in English, and unlike breaking blocks with it there's nothing in the game that guides you into trying it out. Since it didn't seem useful outside of that, I never experimented with it and never ended up stumbling onto its actual useful ability.

Same for me. It wasn't until I started watching Raocow LPs a year or two ago that I learned about this facet of spin-jumping. And I've been playing since it was new.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

zari-gani kind of spoils the fact that he beats it by admitting it to be a two-parter though, since it would be very poor TV to broadcast two episodes for a failure ;)

He fails at least one of the two parters that are remaining

victrix posted:

DKC has the best drat music. For a game about a bunch of stupid monkies, it's one of my favorite platformers, up there with Yoshi's Island

The level design and music in Donkey Kong Country is great but there's some pretty hefty flaws beyond that. The mine cart levels wouldn't be half the nightmare that they are if they used some decent graphic design, for example.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

victrix posted:

DKC is a perfect example of a game that I enjoy watching being played more than actually playing it (though to be fair, I'm like that with many games, having two younger brothers mean that I see games beat before I can beat them quite a lot). And the music is pretty gosh-durn amazing too. I could listen to the water music on loop for forever and be completely cool with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMOg6GL7BY - said underwater music

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

victrix posted:

I admire the iron restraint of their ADs to not tell him how to do something like that. It'd drive me completely nuts to watch him not use a fundamental action.

Occasionally they pop in to help, but I can't recall them advising him on game mechanics/play style very often

I like this as well.
I can't imagine the restraint needed to not shout out tips.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Jest3 posted:

I like this as well.
I can't imagine the restraint needed to not shout out tips.

When I was a kid, my mom tried to play Ecco the Dolphin. My dad told us all to not help her and let her figure it out, dont remember why exactly.

It was the most torturous stretch of time in my entire life.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Gutcruncher posted:

When I was a kid, my mom tried to play Ecco the Dolphin. My dad told us all to not help her and let her figure it out, dont remember why exactly.

It was the most torturous stretch of time in my entire life.

A game I'm dying to see on GCCX. How far did she get?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

A game I'm dying to see on GCCX. How far did she get?

You know the first stage after the prologue? Remember the very first rock you have to jump over without bouncing back into the water?

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Gutcruncher posted:

You know the first stage after the prologue? Remember the very first rock you have to jump over without bouncing back into the water?

Wow..... All I can say is.... I'm sorry.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

That could be a GCCX spinoff. Have the staff's mothers try to play a game. It will be like the most frustrating episode, except EVERY episode!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Drakkel posted:

JP Megaman 2 is the same as US Megaman 2 on Difficult, so it's quite a bit harder than the game you played as a kid.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Anime Reference posted:

JP Megaman 2 is the same as US Megaman 2 on Difficult, so it's quite a bit harder than the game you played as a kid.

This is true enough, and the JP version didn't have a difficulty setting at all, but Megaman 2 on difficult is still usually considered the easiest game in the classic series.

I haven't watched the MM2 episode in forever but the reason MM2 is the easiest is because there are several really good boss weapons even in addition to the obvious Metal Blade shenanigans, so if Arino didn't use them much that would make it a lot harder on him.

edit: That's also a super early episode so maybe he just got better at vidyagames? :shrug:

ReWinter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Not that, the part where his weight goes crashing down on his neck at an odd angle could have seriously injured him.

Benly posted:

I figured it was just the "dismount Yoshi" button... :saddowns:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm weirded out by all you 'not using spinjump' people :ohdear:

Also Arino's suffering is directly proportional to the entertainment value of any given episode

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Bocc Kob posted:

I figured it was just the "dismount Yoshi" button... :saddowns:

More like a "kill Yoshi" button

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, that saved my life more than a few times. :haw:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

More like a "kill Yoshi" button

Hey if Mario dies Yoshi dies too. His sacrifice is for a damned good cause :colbert:

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

FireCar posted:

DKC is a perfect example of a game that I enjoy watching being played more than actually playing it (though to be fair, I'm like that with many games, having two younger brothers mean that I see games beat before I can beat them quite a lot). And the music is pretty gosh-durn amazing too. I could listen to the water music on loop for forever and be completely cool with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMOg6GL7BY - said underwater music

I was going to click the link, but then I realized I could just head jam the song since I played it so much.

About the SMBW episode, I was getting almost irritated about his performance against Bowser. How can one be so terrible? :psyduck:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ciaphas posted:

Hey if Mario dies Yoshi dies too. His sacrifice is for a damned good cause :colbert:

There's also a few hidden goals that make you do this, like that one on Butter Bridge.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Gutcruncher posted:

That could be a GCCX spinoff. Have the staff's mothers try to play a game. It will be like the most frustrating episode, except EVERY episode!

There are plenty of times when I want to throttle Arino for missing one of those "SO OBVIOUS" things.

Although speaking of which, can you imagine what the AD's have to go through? I mean, they've done the research. They know how to play the game, how to solve the puzzles, and how to break the system, but most of the time they have to spend upwards of twelve hours sitting in one tiny room watching a middle-aged man fail at the same boss/jump/puzzle over and over and freaking over again, even when there's an easier way that would take five minutes.

As much as it kills my soul to watch for one or two minutes, they have to sit through the entire thing and can only help him a few times per episode. Here's to the AD's (and anyone else who knows the game during filming). Truly, they are the heroes. :japan:

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
So, what game do you consider super hard than arino has beaten?

For me solomonīs key is impossible, yet he manages to clear it, and in the second season!

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ninja Gaiden. :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Seriously, he beat not one but TWO Ninja Gaiden games. There's gotta be something in there, somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Ninja Gaiden and Ghost n Goblins.