Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

holy mindphlux :words: [/B]

Halalelujah posted:

I didn't read any of that but if you could repost with the same vitriol in the chicken with cheese thread that would be great.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I liked what I read too but frankly I quit early so I could go pour another gin.

:jiggled::jiggled::jiggled:

We try so hard sometimes...

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

mindphlux posted:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I've done it - I still like schweppes better. It's like making your own "coke" - yeah, I mean the stuff you make yourself tastes pretty good, and yeah it's a 'cola', but it's not coke. This is how I feel about tanqueray and schweppes. tall. with a spritz of lime. and plenty of ice.

I make my own because all the tonic I've tried has been sweetened to sickening levels and I like being able to wake up the next day with a fully functioning pancreas/liver/kidney combo. So I make my own and it actually tastes like something besides sugar and I often drink it without any gin at all.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I've done it - I still like schweppes better. It's like making your own "coke" - yeah, I mean the stuff you make yourself tastes pretty good, and yeah it's a 'cola', but it's not coke. This is how I feel about tanqueray and schweppes. tall. with a spritz of lime. and plenty of ice.

I can't find the cinchona bark anywhere so I was hoping semisponge's method used something else or had a description of where to get said bark.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

mindphlux posted:

GORDONS? ?? For gently caress's sake. I have started entering descent, funny recipes and i get flammed / insulted in every thread i post no matter what recipes or funniness i post in whatever thread and its beginning to piss me the gently caress off. Now listen here i wouldn't mind if you gently caress holes constantly flamed me as long as i was being gay or being hostile, but there is no loving reason to flame me when i am entering decent recipes, its just a loving bandwagon. Whats hilarious is that you faggots think you are actually getting on my nerves / upsetting my by insaulting me; I'll tell you, that in school every loving day i was called "asian biaotch" by blacks (I went to school in a black community in cali), I was teased by everyone of all races but mainly blacks, every day, for playing magic the gathering/ warhammer etc. So If i can handle being bullied by large blacks (who im actually cool with now, i matured into a good looking guy who gets girls, and has a girlfriend who lets him gently caress whenever i want), then you think i care what some pasty whites on the internet think of me. Heres a clue if you cant get it into thine thick skull: THE ANSWER CONTAINS THE LETTERS O and N AND NOT IN THAT ORDER, REARANGE THEM TO GET THE ANSWER. Now let me ask you this. What if wiggles had my entire posting career? she would still be revered and popular, because she is a girl. this shows how desperate GWS is, and its ironic that you call GBS nerds/virgins ETC when you circlejerk around girls like poseur and Wiggles, who in my opinion is a vappid, stupid oval office who enters no recipes whatsoever. IVe spoken with TANQUERAY over ICQ/ Email and they actually says that i am a cool guy, what do you nerds think of that, that MY HERO TANQUERAY likes me? Whats sad is that now you know TANQUERAY likes me, my popularity will probably go up just for that. You think I give a gently caress? I dont care how popular I am in this forum, I am an independantguy, I play by my own rules and i dont give a flying gently caress what society thinks of me. I have my own style of dress and poo poo, and really dont care who likes me and who doesnt. dont like me? thats thine loss not mine.

I. AM. DONE. TRYING. TO. ADD. RECIPES. HERE. THE ONLY POSTS I loving MAKE WILL BE TO FLAME YOU FAGGOTS AND TO TELL YOU HOW loving STUPID YOU ARE! THERE IS NO BANISHMENT ANY MORE BECAUSE YOU SHITHEELS HARASSED TANQUERAY, THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO, I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE. [/B]

I edited that down to the important bits. Those concerning Tanqueray. I drink a lot of Tanqueray and Tonics. I've tried the handful of gins the bar across the street can offer, and I only really enjoy Tanqueray. I think my grandfather used Gordons in a noxious mixture to drive off moles.

Semisponge posted:

I make my own because all the tonic I've tried has been sweetened to sickening levels and I like being able to wake up the next day with a fully functioning pancreas/liver/kidney combo. So I make my own and it actually tastes like something besides sugar and I often drink it without any gin at all.

Could you please post your method? I hate overly sweet tonic.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 20, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pretty sure semi uses the Jeffery Morganthaler link posted. That's what I use at least, and I'm pretty sure I linked that to her prior.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
1. I got cinchona bark and citric acid off of the internet. I'm pretty sure it was the same Amazon retailer for both but I can't remember. Took me a lot of searching to find it in bark form and not stupid caplets because hippies.

2. My method is literally that link above but with variations on spices and also I like halved the citric acid because it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too acidic and would destroy my stomach lining. Also I've been using honey because I'm too lazy to go get agave nectar and it works just fine. Really it's just citrus with some spices, I guess you could go without the cinchona but it adds flavor that I think would be lacking if you left it out.

it kind of tastes like ginger ale and looks like scary brown sludge and I like it a lot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hope I don't incur the wrath of MP for posting that while I don't like Gordon's that much (too sweet), I do enjoy Bombay Sapphire. Best G&T I ever had was by the poolside at Siem Reap during lunch after traipsing around Angkor Wat etc since dawn, and before returning for more sightseeing in the late afternoon. G&T and tropical heat is a match made in heaven. I don't mind Schweppes, but it has to be the regular one - the slimline tonic is absolutely disgusting, with a horrible sickly sweetness. Tonic from the tap (where bars have soft drinks with a push-button dispenser on a hose) is also not as good as the bottled or tinned stuff (same applies to Coke).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You all are crazy, London Dry is the best all around gin.

I used to drink a ton of gin, mostly just on ice with a dash of bitters. For reasons I don't remember I stopped and haven't had a bottle around the house in years.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hendricks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

You're all crazy, the best gin is The Botanist .

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Looks impressive, and the wine monopoly has it! Will give it a try.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BlueGrot posted:

Looks impressive, and the wine monopoly has it! Will give it a try.

Another one to look out for is Caorunn Gin . Thus proving with Hendricks that the Scottish are the best at making alcoholic beverages.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't really think there /is/ a "best" gin. There may be "worst" gins, but best is a little much to call on something that's so subjective. I love London Beefeater Dry, I love Bombay Sapphire (even if it is a little sweet, and some of the aromatics are a touch astringent at times), Plymouth is delicious, Tanqueray is lovely, Hendrick's has a wonderful cucumber taste, Bombay Dry is very nicely balanced, and I'm sure if I were given some Gordon's, I'd love it too. Just drink the gin, people.

@Bunnielab: Ever since psychobabble (from these here forums) got me a bottle of Angostura Bitters (finding that poo poo in NYC is drat near impossible; ask Gravi!), I've been enjoying a nice pink gin for sure. Way quicker than knocking up a martini, and quite delicious and pretty to boot!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

@Bunnielab: Ever since psychobabble (from these here forums) got me a bottle of Angostura Bitters (finding that poo poo in NYC is drat near impossible; ask Gravi!), I've been enjoying a nice pink gin for sure. Way quicker than knocking up a martini, and quite delicious and pretty to boot!

I read something about a bitters shortage a few years ago but never seemed to notice a lack of them.

I used to also like to put a few drops of bitters in my G&T. I first did it when I was out of limes but really came to like it almost as much.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

bartolimu posted:

If you want ramen with a level of horror only Vegas can create, you could try Anime Ramen.

I want to go to there. I also hate myself.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bunnielab posted:

I read something about a bitters shortage a few years ago but never seemed to notice a lack of them.

I used to also like to put a few drops of bitters in my G&T. I first did it when I was out of limes but really came to like it almost as much.
No no, because NYC has /weird/ laws about liquor. Liquor stores may ONLY sell beer and wine. No mixers, no sparkling waters, NO JUICE, no nothing. Grocery stores and bodegas may sell beer and mixers ONLY, no liquor, no wine. Bitters are classes as mixers, but contain masses of alcohol (40% in the case of Angostura bitters). So the liquor store can't carry them, and the grocery stores are nervous to carry them. My friend found the tiny bottle of bitters for around $8 or so. I gonked out loud.

I went to visit friends in Philly. They took me to their local liquor store. I found GIANT bottles of Angostura bitters for $10. I bought two. Came home, to still find none in the stores here. :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

dino. posted:

No no, because NYC has /weird/ laws about liquor. Liquor stores may ONLY sell beer and wine. No mixers, no sparkling waters, NO JUICE, no nothing. Grocery stores and bodegas may sell beer and mixers ONLY, no liquor, no wine. Bitters are classes as mixers, but contain masses of alcohol (40% in the case of Angostura bitters). So the liquor store can't carry them, and the grocery stores are nervous to carry them. My friend found the tiny bottle of bitters for around $8 or so. I gonked out loud.

I went to visit friends in Philly. They took me to their local liquor store. I found GIANT bottles of Angostura bitters for $10. I bought two. Came home, to still find none in the stores here. :(

:stare:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

dino. posted:

Like half of this is wrong, where the hell are you shopping at. You can only get wine and liquor at liquor stores, true, but grocery stores sell beer and wine and I see bitters all over the place, including, I'm pretty sure, at my local liquor store.

edit: my credentials on this subject comes from my experience as a semi-functional alcoholic.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Bitters that are technically food products are illegal to sell in liquor stores in NYC, so Astor Wine is walking a fine line by carrying bitters. That said, Angostura is generally available at your grocery store, and my ghetto rear end wine shop has both Peychaud's and Regan's orange. Anything more exotic, and I drop down to Cocktail Kingdom on 28th st for my oddball fix.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Bitters that are technically food products are illegal to sell in liquor stores in NYC, so Astor Wine is walking a fine line by carrying bitters. That said, Angostura is generally available at your grocery store, and my ghetto rear end wine shop has both Peychaud's and Regan's orange. Anything more exotic, and I drop down to Cocktail Kingdom on 28th st for my oddball fix.

Stinky Brooklyn has an absurd amount of bitters/other cocktail stuff as well as everything else you need to ruin yourself with gout and/or liver disease.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

Stinky Brooklyn has an absurd amount of bitters/other cocktail stuff as well as everything else you need to ruin yourself with gout and/or liver disease.

Yeah, you live on that dope little corridor where you could pretend Brooklyn is about twelve blocks long and not mind too badly. Reminds me that I need to dip over to Paisanos and make sausage, maybe for my homie's birthday.

Also, I'm seeing a girl who is totally rad and a vegetarian who doesn't get food boners like we all do. What do I do, internet? Which is to say, vegetarian cookbook suggestions, please.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Yeah, you live on that dope little corridor where you could pretend Brooklyn is about twelve blocks long and not mind too badly. Reminds me that I need to dip over to Paisanos and make sausage, maybe for my homie's birthday.

Also, I'm seeing a girl who is totally rad and a vegetarian who doesn't get food boners like we all do. What do I do, internet? Which is to say, vegetarian cookbook suggestions, please.

Aside from dino's?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
This sub-forum may have a disproportionate number of alcoholics.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Toast posted:

Aside from dino's?

Yep. Get dino's book: http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345489786&sr=1-1

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Toast posted:

Aside from dino's?
indeed, though I plan on grabbing that jam.

This forum consists mainly of gluttons, of course were drunks. Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

dino, is there an e-book version of your book? I prefer not to get stuff freighted trans-Atlantically if I can help it!

Tanqueray with Fever Tree from a fresh bottle and plenty of ice and lime peel is where it's at. There are no substitutes. Death's Door is good too though.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
The amazon link above has the kindle version too.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

An observer posted:

The amazon link above has the kindle version too.

I am blind! Ta.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So, Epicurious did a thing where a bunch of kids got to be published in a cookbook and then to visit the whitehouse for dinner.

Look at all these bad parents: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152064187040204&set=a.10150397503130204.616648.12770210203&type=1

Also: rabid republicans have been swarming the page complaining about how this is getting any coverage at all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I'll bet that, unless you're a semi-alcoholic like Halalujah, you will still have one if not both of those bottles of bitters in five years time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

I'll bet that, unless you're a semi-alcoholic like Halalujah, you will still have one if not both of those bottles of bitters in five years time.

doubtful. bitters own. Put bitters in everything. Bitters and soda water? yes please. Bitters and lemonade? nom nom nom. Pink gin? best :effort: cocktail.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Hell even if you drink a few pink gins a day the big bottles will last for loving ever.

Which brings up the point, does it ever go bad? I end up replacing mine every tear-ish, usual from drunkenly leaving them open or bringing them places and leaving them. I have never done a side by side on a fresh vs old bottle.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Bitters ate shelf stable. Vermouth, sherry, and port are not, and will oxidize after about a week in the fridge, faster on the shelf.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Halal: It's 'cos you're in the BK, where they give you a bottle of bitters when you first wean from the breast. In my neck of the woods, you can't find 'em for love or money. I couldn't even sort them out in Kalustyan's (sp?). Boo. Maybe Fairway would have it? I don't know. I'm currently sitting atop enormous quantities, because I never want to do without again.

The "Wine" they sell in grocery stores is not actually wine. It's wine like product. And is gross. It's one of the few things Chicago does right: full on liquor /section/ in ever grocery store. It's likely why everyone there is so chill.

My trini friends use Angostura Bitters in cooking, so I'll likely end up using that stuff in everything, as it should be. I quite enjoyed it with my gin, so I imagine having it in multiple beverages will help matters along. :3

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just gonna leave this here as the best bitters-containing recipe:

quote:

Whiskey is a hard drink. The burnt wood and grain flavors deepen your crow’s feet and punch your nose with the scent of every frontier saloon, juke joint and speakeasy from this young country’s mythology. Whiskey tastes like hardship.

Mix a couple of ounces of struggle with the right ingredients and it changes. It feels unexpectedly lighter. Energetic. Refreshing. Whiskey is always full of surprises.

Last summer, I met a friend at one of those fancy cocktail bars in New York. You know the type: Leather-bound menus, fancy couches and yes, they have fancy ice. After years of X-tini bars and vodka bullshit, I wasn’t expecting that much but the Pegu Bar’s menu kept batting its eyes at me.

The first thing I noticed were the drinks themselves: A Sidecar, Gin-Gin Mule, French Pearl. Sophisticated drinks with simple descriptions and zero affectation. The second thing was that the lone whiskey cocktail wasn’t a julep or an Old Fashioned.

Whiskey Smash

“This is whiskey?” I repeated what I’m sure the Pegu staff has heard too many times. The bright yellow color of the drink will catch you off guard. It’s at once minty and sour and, I don’t know, thirst quenching. It certainly doesn’t contain any of whiskey’s violence.

Jerry Thomas1 created the Whiskey Smash in 1862. His original recipe was basically a lazy Mint Julep:

1 tsp. fine white sugar
2 tsp. water.
3 or 4 sprigs of young mint.
1 wine-glass [2oz.] of whiskey.

Put the mint in the glass, then the sugar and water. Mash the mint to extract the flavor, add the Whiskey, and fill up the glass with shaved ice. Stir up well, and ornament with two or three fresh sprigs of mint.

At some point in the last 150 years some pioneering bartender made a couple of modifications to Thomas’ drink to give us the modern Whiskey Smash:

2-4 lemon pieces (cut a lemon in half and then quarter one of the halves. Bam! pieces)
5-10 mint leaves
3 dashes bitters
1/4 to 3/4 oz. Simple syrup to taste
2-3 oz. Rye, bourbon or whiskey2

Muddle the lemon pieces, mint leaves, bitters and simple syrup in the bottom of a shaker glass. Add the bourbon and shake well with ice. Strain into a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with a mint sprig and a lemon wedge.

The Pegu Club uses a brandied cherry for garnish and a huge fancy ice cube. Variations include adding a slice of fresh fruit like peaches or rhubarbs before muddling or topping with a splash of soda. Try flavored bitters. Experiment a bit.

The Whiskey Smash is a natural on a warm summer evening of socializing with friends. Almost too natural. In just under two hours my friend and I dusted off 10 of these fast girls and forgot all of our problems. And how to get home.

Thomas is known as the father of mixology. Check out Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to Taster’s choice but I’m of the opinion that the best mixing whiskeys cost $10-$25 a bottle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bitters ate shelf stable. Vermouth, sherry, and port are not, and will oxidize after about a week in the fridge, faster on the shelf.

This is why I never make martinis. I don't drink them often enough to keep vermouth on hand. I wish I could find decent vermouth in airplane bottles. would one of those wine vacuum re-sealers help?

Finishing a bottle of port has never been an issue.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

This is why I never make martinis. I don't drink them often enough to keep vermouth on hand. I wish I could find decent vermouth in airplane bottles. would one of those wine vacuum re-sealers help?

Finishing a bottle of port has never been an issue.

The best martini just needs to be made in the presence of a bottle of vermouth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is a wrong opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

GrAviTy84 posted: posted:

This is a wrong opinion.

I'm personally of the dump-it-in-and-dump-it-out school of dry Martinis if it's good gin (Beefeater or better). If it's Gordon's or, Bob forbid, worse I go dirty.