Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

marktheando posted:

For a game like this, that goes to so much effort to create a detailed world, I'd rather wander around a garage full of my cars rather than look at a menu like in Saints Row. Also storing as many cars as you like in a tiny garage means getting bigger properties later on with big garages doesn't give you any vehicle benefit. That's what I mean by it being gamey.

I agree that a way to repair destroyed cars would be great though.

Ooh make me get a tow truck. That'd be cool. I don't mind doing chores for a benefit like recovering my favorite vehicle. GTA is going the way of immersion and we have Saints Row for the gamey instant-gratification thing, so I don't mind them staying separate one bit. Although I did much prefer having the garages in other gta's as opposed to street parking in 4. Yeah the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a tow truck. When you park a car in your garage it's marked as one of yours, and when it gets wrecked there should be a marker on the map. Either call a tow company and pay money for it to magically reappear in your garage the next morning, or have the option to drive a tow truck yourself and retrieve it. And if your favorite whip exploded off a ramp on its way into the ocean, you're outta luck. Hunt for a new one in the rich part of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What does a detailed world have to do with anything? Shenmue is 10000 times the detail of GTA, emphasizing on complete realism and details only someone with autism could craft up and it STILL has the main character stuffing at least 100 different types of items in his pockets.

Because it's a video game.

By your argument, when you get shot up full of bullets in a shoot out and "die" you should have to start the game over because you're dead, and shouldn't revive in a hospital, especially if this is the sort of immersion you crave.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
His point is to do with immersion rather than realism, and he's right that turning garages into nothing but menus is probably a bit far for GTA, but that doesn't mean GTA doesn't have a lot to learn from Saints Row.

metalfingers
Jul 9, 2005

hurf
Yeah, bigger garages (increasing as the game progresses/property is acquired) and a tow-truck recovery system for lost and destroyed cars would be better than a straight menu like Saint's Row.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't see why it would break your immersion. Have the main character dial up what type of car he wants from his phone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would gush over something ridiculous like late in the game having a 2 floor parking garage and being able to walk by all the ridiculous cars I've collected and picking out what I want and speeding off, knowing all of those cars are accessible forever (have an option to delete from garage).

Oh hey fantasizing already.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The Dave posted:

I would gush over something ridiculous like late in the game having a 2 floor parking garage and being able to walk by all the ridiculous cars I've collected and picking out what I want and speeding off, knowing all of those cars are accessible forever (have an option to delete from garage).

That's something I support. Bring back property.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Himuro posted:

I don't see why it would break your immersion. Have the main character dial up what type of car he wants from his phone.

I like this idea,like Henrique in TBOGT and Clay in TLAD. You could store your car in the garage and have someone bring it to you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Himuro posted:

What does a detailed world have to do with anything? Shenmue is 10000 times the detail of GTA, emphasizing on complete realism and details only someone with autism could craft up and it STILL has the main character stuffing at least 100 different types of items in his pockets.

Because it's a video game.

By your argument, when you get shot up full of bullets in a shoot out and "die" you should have to start the game over because you're dead, and shouldn't revive in a hospital, especially if this is the sort of immersion you crave.

Well if we are going to take each others' arguments to silly extremes, then by yours, we should all go back to playing text adventures, gently caress representing things with graphics.

Himuro posted:

You could have both nice garages and the ability to have minions bring you cars! And I never said it would break my immersion, I just prefer a garage you can walk into to a menu. Plus I always forget which car is which when I can't look at them.

The Dave posted:

Yes this is the kind of thing I mean.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

marktheando posted:

Well if we are going to take each others' arguments to silly extremes, then by yours, we should all go back to playing text adventures, gently caress representing things with graphics.

You could have both nice garages and the ability to have minions bring you cars! And I never said it would break my immersion, I just prefer a garage you can walk into to a menu. Plus I always forget which car is which when I can't look at them.

Yes this is the kind of thing I mean.

This is nonsensical.

I suggested that the game merely have a way to have access to every car you own, with ease, to alleviate the fact that rare and hard earned cars are never truly lost. You suggest it's not realistic due to being a menu. However, the destruction of a car is the same exact thing as dying; something is lost. In the case of the car, you lose necessary transportation, sometimes earned through sweat and tears. In the case of the character's life, you must start over, sometimes with loss of money and time. Respawning at a hospital is actively the same exact thing as storing a car inside a garage; it achieves the same solution: saving time and giving you another chance. Your argument was a menu is not realistic or immersive. Well, neither is reviving in a hospital 8 hours later after being shot in the loving head.

Your comparison makes no sense and is reactionary at best. I don't think you've thought through what I argued.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Himuro posted:

This is nonsensical.

I suggested that the game merely have a way to have access to every car you own, with ease, to alleviate the fact that rare and hard earned cars are never truly lost. You suggest it's not realistic due to being a menu. However, the destruction of a car is the same exact thing as dying; something is lost. In the case of the car, you lose necessary transportation, sometimes earned through sweat and tears. In the case of the character's life, you must start over, sometimes with loss of money and time. Respawning at a hospital is actively the same exact thing as storing a car inside a garage; it achieves the same solution, saving time and giving you another chance. Your argument was a menu is not realistic or immersive. Well, neither is reviving in a hospital 8 hours later after being shot in the loving head.

Your comparison makes no sense and is reactionary at best. I don't think you've thought through what I argued.

I always agreed that restoring lost cars would be a good idea though, I don't know why you are banging on about that. I just don't like the Saints Row garage system.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Himuro posted:

I somehow thought SA was faster in that department? Maybe not?

Haha ha ha, no. As someone else mentioned it was a miserable experience, to the extent that I went weeks without changing clothes back when I was into the game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah, clothes-changing has gotten better with every game, and I have no doubt it will be better in 5 than it was in 4.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Yeah one of the things that bugged me about San Andreas was paying to customize a car only to have it blow up after minutes on the road with almost no way to get it back. So some form of permanent saving is a must even if isn't as forgiving as the Saint's Row system.

And while were at it V should really borrow the clothing system from Saint's Row/Sleeping Dogs.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 20, 2012

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Corzaa posted:

I like this idea,like Henrique in TBOGT and Clay in TLAD. You could store your car in the garage and have someone bring it to you.

And if you want to keep some realism, you could have crashed cars towed to you from a body shop and lost cars (that you had saved in your garage) towed from an impound lot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrandonGK posted:

Yeah one of the things that bugged me about San Andreas was paying to customize a car only to have it blow up after minutes on the road with almost no way to get it back. So some form of permanent saving is a must even if isn't as forgiving as the Saint's Row system.

It got to the point in San Andreas where I would customize a car, put it in the garage, and then never, ever use it again.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I always dreaded Bernies last "mission" because I knew Id lose the car soon after :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

It takes literally 10 minutes to try on maybe 3 outfits in GTAIV. I somehow thought SA was faster in that department? Maybe not?

Yeah, uh, jesus christ putting together an outfit in SA could take half an hour. Like if you opened a store for the first time, and you wanted to look through stuff, each item of clothing had a full minute of animation before CJ was actually wearing it, and with there usually being like 9 or 10 items in each category...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A single screenshot of a bicycle and I'm psyched for this game - I think I saw the one teaser trailer when it was first released and that's pretty much all I know about the game, but seeing that bike gives me the (perhaps entirely unwarranted) belief that we're getting a game that is a cross between GTAIV and San Andreas, and that's about all I could ever want in a game. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BrandonGK posted:

New screenshots have been posted on Rockstar's newswire site!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/37991/transport.html

More to come this week!

These are loving terrific. They don't even show that much, but still. I'm so pumped. This is gonna be better than IV, I just know it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Liking the new screenshots even though there isn't much detail to take in! Hopefully they've got a full week of reveals planned for us.

And yeah, the hype machine going into San Andreas was just insane. Every bit of info that emerged was better than the last - it's a whole state! Three cities! RPG style character improvements! Famous Hollywood voice actors! Gangster hood takeovers! Pushbikes! Planes! Parachutes!

And this trailer still gets me pumped :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

webmeister posted:

And this trailer still gets me pumped :v:

Goddamn I recognize every scene, every character, every cutscene, every location, every goddamn thing. That game is burned into my brain.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That trailer is the greatest GTA trailer.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Man the graphics look pretty good in those screens. People were complaining about how lovely the trees and stuff looked but I have to say, everything I have seen from this game so far makes me think it will be the best looking Grand Theft Auto if not the best looking Rock Star game to date. As soon as the release date is announced I'm hoping we'll be getting a new thread. It is tempting to create one now with the new screenshots but maybe there will be some new news really soon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LA attack posted:

Man the graphics look pretty good in those screens. People were complaining about how lovely the trees and stuff looked but I have to say, everything I have seen from this game so far makes me think it will be the best looking Grand Theft Auto if not the best looking Rock Star game to date. As soon as the release date is announced I'm hoping we'll be getting a new thread. It is tempting to create one now with the new screenshots but maybe there will be some new news really soon.

Given that they said there's more to come this week, I'd say that's a good guess! :v:

I wouldn't worry about creating a new thread until we've at least got a release date.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Just hoping they bring back the traditional 3 era missions, Taxi, Ambulance, Vigilante and Firetruck. We all hated them, but god, completing them was an honor!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Speak for yourself! Taxi missions are great, and the best possible way to memorize a city in a GTA. In fact, it's always the first thing I do when starting a new GTA.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I loved taxi, just the rest was poo poo. I was really gutted when I found out 4 had taxi missions cut, even when your brother ran a taxi firm. [Yes I know you could do taxi missions for a short while]

widunder
May 2, 2002

Himuro posted:

Speak for yourself! Taxi missions are great, and the best possible way to memorize a city in a GTA. In fact, it's always the first thing I do when starting a new GTA.
That's something I thought of lately. I recently played through GTA III again and I've been doing TBoGT again the last few weeks and it struck me how much more I had the GTA III Liberty City memorized than the IV version (despite having played it in three different games/story lines). Being able to take cabs and especially having the waypoint system is very helpful, but there was something wonderful about being forced to know where everything in III was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If GTA V puts the on screen GPS line like Saint's Row 3 had, and has cruise control for the cars, I'll probably go back to hardly ever taking taxis in it.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

from this page.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but I guess he's the pilot in the plane from one of the screenshots. Pretty much nails him down as the protagonist/main character.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LA attack posted:

As soon as the release date is announced I'm hoping we'll be getting a new thread. It is tempting to create one now with the new screenshots but maybe there will be some new news really soon.

Just, please, make some thread rules that disallow discussion of previous titles' driving physics, realism and everything else that periodically made this thread nigh-insufferable.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

simosimo posted:

Just hoping they bring back the traditional 3 era missions, Taxi, Ambulance, Vigilante and Firetruck. We all hated them, but god, completing them was an honor!

Delivering pizzas on the Faggio in Vice City while listening to Emotion 98.3 was the best. :colbert:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Philip J Fry posted:

Delivering pizzas on the Faggio in Vice City while listening to Emotion 98.3 was the best. :colbert:
I'd counter that with doing Vigilante missions in the Hunter while listening to V Rock :black101:

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 21, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nemoulette posted:

That's something I thought of lately. I recently played through GTA III again and I've been doing TBoGT again the last few weeks and it struck me how much more I had the GTA III Liberty City memorized than the IV version (despite having played it in three different games/story lines). Being able to take cabs and especially having the waypoint system is very helpful, but there was something wonderful about being forced to know where everything in III was.

You realize of course, that the GTA III Liberty City was about 1/6 the area of IV's Liberty City and the road network was about 1/20 or 1/25 the length of IV's, right?

It's way easier to remember where everything is, when the size of everything is so much smaller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You only ever needed to use about 30 roads in III.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SplitSoul posted:

Just, please, make some thread rules that disallow discussion of previous titles' driving physics, realism and everything else that periodically made this thread nigh-insufferable.

What they should really do is ban people who refuse to check the previous one or two pages before posting "new" information that was just recently discussed.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

webmeister posted:

Given that they said there's more to come this week, I'd say that's a good guess! :v:

I wouldn't worry about creating a new thread until we've at least got a release date.

Also, any official information about the game at all.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

LA attack posted:

from this page.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but I guess he's the pilot in the plane from one of the screenshots. Pretty much nails him down as the protagonist/main character.

Cliff Racer posted:

What they should really do is ban people who refuse to check the previous one or two pages before posting "new" information that was just recently discussed.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Looks like the middle aged guy from the trailer is the one flying the jet. Guess that really does mean he's our protagonist.
Like this? :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

You only ever needed to use about 30 roads in III.

Because there only were about 30 roads in the whole game, which is the point. It was a tiny map with few roads, so way easier to remember all of it.

• Locked thread