Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Pron on VHS posted:

Gotta drive back home my man. No real public transit or cabs in northern VA.

This is what girlfriends and wives are for. Built in DD.

Well that and sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
I've seen a lot of crazy trick plays on offense such as the statue of liberty, hook and ladder, etc., and the more common attempts at deception such as the play-action pass and the draw play. What about trick plays/ deceptions on defense? Are there any?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

I've seen a lot of crazy trick plays on offense such as the statue of liberty, hook and ladder, etc., and the more common attempts at deception such as the play-action pass and the draw play. What about trick plays/ deceptions on defense? Are there any?

The biggest thing that comes to mind is the "fake blitz". You will see like 7 guys right at the line of scrimmage, all with their motors going and flinching like crazy like they are about to tee off. Then all the LB's will drop into coverage at the snap. Its similar to the philosophy behind the 3-4 in that you don't know exactly who is coming, so its harder to call out protection ahead of time.

Sometimes they will try to disguise coverages too. Make it seem like its man/zone when its actually vice versa.

You can also have a delayed blitz, where a lineback will initially drop into coverage, and kind of like how a RB reads for gaps and lanes, they will shoot that gap. It works well in certain down and distance situations, especially if the offense is running a play that takes time to develop. However, this play itself also takes time to develop, and could leave a comeback route vulnerable.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Defense is always reactive so there's not much you can do to obfuscate intent without getting burned. Closest thing would be a zone blitz. Dropping pass rushers into coverage and putting coverage guys closer to the line to blitz are probably the only "misleading" plays on defense. In that sense any sort of blitz involving a defensive back would probably be considered a "trick" play.

So to answer your question, no, not really.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's also a defensive play the Patriots started using against Peyton Manning that's come into some vogue in obvious passing situations.

Everyone but the cornerbacks and deep safety just muddle in a cloud before the snap. Just constantly shifting around, not getting set, and at the snap then take their assignments. It prevents QB's from calling out protections and confuses blockers.

Of course if you're in a position where you can just run the ball against this front, well...

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Defense is always reactive so there's not much you can do to obfuscate intent without getting burned. Closest thing would be a zone blitz. Dropping pass rushers into coverage and putting coverage guys closer to the line to blitz are probably the only "misleading" plays on defense. In that sense any sort of blitz involving a defensive back would probably be considered a "trick" play.

So to answer your question, no, not really.

Man I remember a few years back watching Hawaii drop all 4 of their linemen into coverage. I had to go back and rewatch the play like a million time giggling like a little school girl.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

Man I remember a few years back watching Hawaii drop all 4 of their linemen into coverage. I had to go back and rewatch the play like a million time giggling like a little school girl.

That sounds hilarious, anything on youtube/whatever you can link?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Hawaii is so much fun to watch. I just wish they could compete with the big schools.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

swickles posted:

That sounds hilarious, anything on youtube/whatever you can link?

I have looked many times and never found anything. Wish I had thought/knew how to pull it off my dvr back then. I wouldn't have though it was real, except my roommate saw it too and we watched it again the next day for maximum hilarity.

And the best part of watching Hawaii is that if it is a home game it kicks off at like midnight east coast time, meaning starting with the noon games you get like 15 straight hours of football on a Saturday.

Is it football season yet?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Are we allowed to discuss our fantasy football teams in this forum specifically is there any post for it?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

There is no thread for it. However, there is an entire forum!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=248

The Roll
Aug 14, 2006
Let them eat bread!
I'm wondering if there are any good podcasts/daily update sites for a football fix? I saw a lot of posters in SAS touting The Basketball Jones and I really enjoyed that when I gave it a chance but obviously they don't cover the NFL so I'm wondering what the general consensus is for podcasts that are both informed and (somewhat) unbiased news/analysis.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think the consensus best straight-updates site is https://www.rotoworld.com's Player News tab. It's actually the only thing I check since so much "analysis" is awful.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
What are those end-zone pylons made out of? They get hit so many times, I hope they are made of heavy foam or something.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I want to play D&D football. What is the thread again?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

What are those end-zone pylons made out of? They get hit so many times, I hope they are made of heavy foam or something.

The ones I've seen are made of urethane foam, with a flexible plastic shaft in the middle to stick it in the ground. The whole thing costs about $0.50, so if it breaks it's not a big lost.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Your Gucci ones that you'll see at any place that's had money to spend in the last little while will be made of extremely lightweight foam in a fluro fabric jacket, with a little shaft or spring in the bottom; these will collapse quite happily no matter what angle you land on them and then recover their shape, possibly after a little gentle encouragement.

Older ones that you'll see at high schools that have to buy textbooks with that cash are generally freestanding; they'll often also be heavy, dense and rigid so that they won't fall over in a gentle breeze; they will hurt on that once-in-a-blue-moon occasion when some poor kid falls on them the wrong way.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What's the benefit of putting a player on the physically unable to perform list and losing them for six games to start the season? What if they're ok to play after four games?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Cole posted:

What's the benefit of putting a player on the physically unable to perform list and losing them for six games to start the season? What if they're ok to play after four games?

Roster spots, I would imagine

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Oh I see. I thought since they were only inactive for six games that they would still be on the active roster. Makes sense.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So what's this mean?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Vander posted:

So what's this mean?

I'm not 100% sure this is the case, but it would mean that putting a player on the PUP list doesn't count him as one of the 53 man roster while he's on the PUP list, meaning you have a free spot to keep someone else on the roster.

Same principle as putting players on IR. They're still on your team, but don't take up one of the 53 roster spots and don't have to go through waivers or anything like they would if you just released them from the 53 man roster

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any reliable Redskins streams? Will people hate me for supporting them?

(Please let me know if this is considered :filez:)

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have any reliable Redskins streams? Will people hate me for supporting them?

(Please let me know if this is considered :filez:)

Streams are considered kosher. The gameday threads will usually post links to streams. For future reference though firstrow.eu is usually a pretty good source.

Also welcome to the Redskins fan club. Come for the racist name, stay for the crushing agony of defeat.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

JoeCL posted:

Streams are considered kosher. The gameday threads will usually post links to streams. For future reference though firstrow.eu is usually a pretty good source.

Also welcome to the Redskins fan club. Come for the racist name, stay for the crushing agony of defeat.

Thanks man, I've actually been a fan for a few years but my interest in football tends to wane sometimes.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there an NFL equivalent of MLB.tv? If so, does it black out foreign markets for all games? My friend is interested but she thinks there is a 5 day blackout in the UK, which sounds poo poo. Is that right?

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Is there an NFL equivalent of MLB.tv? If so, does it black out foreign markets for all games? My friend is interested but she thinks there is a 5 day blackout in the UK, which sounds poo poo. Is that right?

I think NFL gamepass is equivalent to mlb.tv. They black out games that are available on TV locally, and you can watch those games 6 days later in their archives, so that might be what she means.

It's supposed to be available in Canada as well, but it's redirecting me to an 'unavailable' site right now. Check http://gamepass.nfl.com/ for more information

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005
will never be able to kill the Grimace
The NFL has to do some sort of drug testing on the coaching staffs, right? I had this really ridiculous image in my head of some paradigm shattering coach who implements crazy, off-the-wall game plans that no one's even thought of before and as he's interviewed post Super Bowl its revealed that he's been dropping multiple tabs of LSD /hitting the pipe before each game. Besides the fact that, for many reasons, what I described is a highly improbable scenario, could some coach out there actually get away with something like this on the sneak?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I'd be a little surprised if they did bother testing the coaching staffs, since drugging a coach up doesn't confer any obvious competitive advantage that owners would get worked up about. If a coach got caught, I'm sure there are all sorts of morality clauses that the league could throw at them, though.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Only players are subject to drug testing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Coaches tend to be old white men and no one drug tests them.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

This might be the wrong place to ask, but is anyone aware of any football roster management software?

Stuff that allows you to maintain a roster, set depth chart, stuff like that?

Web based is even better.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
If you mean like a menu based football "game" the only one I ever tried was Football Mogul that someone posted on here last season when they started the linked promotion (Free game for Liking them on Facebook). It' actually really fun and deep, but as far as I know there's no web based version.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a game called Bowl Bound College Football which is slightly buggy but it could seriously take over America if someone put some money behind it.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

No, I have a flag football team and I want something to manage the roster / depth chart with.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

crm posted:

No, I have a flag football team and I want something to manage the roster / depth chart with.

Just use excel and google docs. I doubt you have a 53 man roster, or have to worry about who is going to long snap in an emergency situation.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

McKracken posted:

Only players are subject to drug testing.

Wait.. I thought they suspended a Giants' position coach a couple years back for violating the substance abuse program.

Fake edit:
Wade Willson, Dallas Cowboys in 2007.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Statler posted:

Wait.. I thought they suspended a Giants' position coach a couple years back for violating the substance abuse program.

Fake edit:
Wade Willson, Dallas Cowboys in 2007.

He wasn't tested for them, they had records of him purchasing drugs from investigations into PED distribution rings.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

McKracken posted:

He wasn't tested for them, they had records of him purchasing drugs from investigations into PED distribution rings.

Ah.

Wasn't sure how he got busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Statler posted:

Ah.

Wasn't sure how he got busted.

Coaches are still subject to substance abuse policy and whatever Goodell wants to throw under his umbrella of conduct policy, but they don't pee into a cup or anything.

• Locked thread