Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

chimheil posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any camera rental houses in Tampa, FL? I'm gonna be down there for the Republican National Convention and will be shooting a round table discussion between a few different delegates, candidates, and activists. I would prefer to rent down there rather than fly with cameras.

Looking for some HPX 170's or similar. I cannot stand them, but I don't want to deal with DSLR record times and the budget won't be enough for larger sensor cams.

Oops, meant to quote, not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

BeavisNuke posted:

If you guys have some concrete ideas don't forget to apply for a Cinereach grant. They are giving out grants of up to 50k. I applied for a short doc I'd like to do inspired by the Trayvon Martin incident.

http://www.cinereach.org/grants/how-to-apply1

The actual submission part messing up for anyone else?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

chimheil posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any camera rental houses in Tampa, FL? I'm gonna be down there for the Republican National Convention and will be shooting a round table discussion between a few different delegates, candidates, and activists. I would prefer to rent down there rather than fly with cameras.

I don't, but can you contact me through gmail at my SA name? I had some RNC coverage questions for you.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Steadiman posted:

I don't know whether to respect your professionalism or call you a world class pussy :)

I'm updating Linked In as we speak. :D

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 18, 2012

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Seriously gently caress redrock. If anyone suggests any Redrock accessories to you, slap them. I was focus pulling on a feature with 5Ds on Redrock rigs and it was embarrassing how Fischer Price flimsy they are. The case for my iphone is made of more robust plastic.

In other news I've impulse bought a tilta follow focus, price was right and gently caress it, it can't be worse then the redrock.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.
I was on a shoot last week, and a rep from Redrock came by. She gave me a business card and small talked me quickly. Shortly thereafter, my Arri FF4 finally arrived, and I tore the Redrock follow focus off my camera. I didn't have the heart to tell her I hate their gear.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This might be a little late but if there are any NYC goons in here, they are screening Baraka tonight at the Sunshine.

Also, Ron Fricke is doing a Q&A at the 7:15pm premiere of Samara next week. Any ideas for questions? Im thinking about asking him if they built a whole new camera for this one like they did for Barka and for some details on what they changed and why.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Is there some sort of online clearinghouse for film scripts that I'm not aware of? I feel like this sort of thing must exist - a site for aspiring/unknown writers to put their script in the hopes that an aspiring/unknown director will want to make it - but so far my google-fu has been weak. Anyone?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Chitin posted:

Is there some sort of online clearinghouse for film scripts that I'm not aware of? I feel like this sort of thing must exist - a site for aspiring/unknown writers to put their script in the hopes that an aspiring/unknown director will want to make it - but so far my google-fu has been weak. Anyone?

Not to my knowledge, but Withoutabox makes it really easy to submit your script to competitions. That's a good way to get it out there and read.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Not to my knowledge, but Withoutabox makes it really easy to submit your script to competitions. That's a good way to get it out there and read.

Alas, I'm looking to read, not write - just idly considering my next project. I found simplyscripts.com but there's no quality control of any kind there so half of the scripts are fan fic and the other half are people who don't seem to speak English as a first language. :sigh:

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Chitin posted:

Amazon Studios?

e: http://studios.amazon.com/scripts

I don't know if the scripts listed there are legally entangled with Amazon though. The winners are surely, but those that aren't might be produce-able.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
That's funny, I was searching for the same thing last week and also came up much shorter than I thought I would. An untapped Market perhaps? Maybe pay a dollar to submit your script to the database and pay a dollar to read a script for more than ten pages.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Possibly an untapped market, but then again I hear that less than 1% of scripts actually get produced. That's a lot of garbage to wade through without good submission and rating systems.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Amazon Studios?

e: http://studios.amazon.com/scripts

I don't know if the scripts listed there are legally entangled with Amazon though. The winners are surely, but those that aren't might be produce-able.

Amazon has an option on everything sent to them. For zero dollars.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Amazon has an option on everything sent to them. For zero dollars.

At least they are WGA signatory so they have to pay you guild minimums for any option they exercise.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

At least they are WGA signatory so they have to pay you guild minimums for any option they exercise.

They had to be completely strongarmed into it. I still don't think it's a good environment to be in.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Question for Steadiman, I guess!

We have a Glidecam 3000 with the arm and vest, and I'm using it with a relatively light camera to train myself because I think it's an interesting thing to do. It gets used precisely not at all at my place of work, but I figure it can't hurt to learn how to use it and have some extra strings to my bow. I quite enjoy the footage I get out of it.

However, I seem to be suffering from amazingly painful lower back problems. I can only wear the rig for about 10 minutes before it starts to hurt a lot. Is this a technique thing? I'm quite a short bloke, not very strong really, and I know it takes time to build up strength. But I figure my slightly curved spine (always been that way) is loving things up.

I can't even go ice skating because the way I stand makes my lower back hurt. I think it's a balance issue. And I mean, this is a light rig, it's a Panasonic HPX171. It's not some huge shoulder mount camera with a RF transmitter on the back and a monitor on the bottom. I'm using the on-camera LCD (which may be the problem because of how I have to align my body to see the screen?)

A few threads on the main steadicam forum seem to suggest this is just a technique/strength issue but I'm worried that I can't physically do the job because of how I'm laid out.

That's a bit of a e/n really but hopefully you have some useful advice other than "it's not for you, give up :) "

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Possibly an untapped market, but then again I hear that less than 1% of scripts actually get produced. That's a lot of garbage to wade through without good submission and rating systems.

I was thinking that - frankly, if I had any interest at all in running that sort of business, I'd be all over it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

thehustler posted:

That's a bit of a e/n really but hopefully you have some useful advice other than "it's not for you, give up :) "

Start deadlifting. A lot.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

thehustler posted:

However, I seem to be suffering from amazingly painful lower back problems. I can only wear the rig for about 10 minutes before it starts to hurt a lot. Is this a technique thing? I'm quite a short bloke, not very strong really, and I know it takes time to build up strength. But I figure my slightly curved spine (always been that way) is loving things up.

I can't even go ice skating because the way I stand makes my lower back hurt.

Stand up straight. When you're in the rig, you should stand like you're in the military: full attention, shoulders back, head up straight.

When you're ice skating, you're probably slouching forward, anticipating falling and you'd rather fall forward than back. Stand up straight when you're ice skating, and you will still feel some back pain because your core needs to be stronger.

Steadicam is the same story: stand up straight, shoulders back, full attention. People slouch, thinking you're increasing your core strength to hold the rig up if you tighten your abs and shrink down. However, the stress you're creating on your lower back is tremendous because you're leaning your center of gravity forward, and your back now has to hold up your weight plus the Glidecam.

Check out the Steadicam text book if you want more insight and drawings, but here's a quick idea:

- Get in the rig, stand up straight.
- Bring the rig as close as tolerable to your body, and notice how it gets lighter/more manageable as it's closer to your body.
- Now realize you'll need to have some distance from your body in order to operate.
- Keep standing up straight. Don't ever stop. DO NOT SLOUCH.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Ruben taught me Steadicam a few years ago at the Lake Arrowhead Steadicam workshop. Highly recommend it if you're serious about continuing Steadicam. I still reference what I learned in that workshop.

Attached is a photo of how far I've come: I work with some of the hottest ladies in the business!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Jeeez are you goosing her or something, why is she making that face :gonk:

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

We're goosing each other. Our love is pure.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Not a walter klassen vest, Scrub tier

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Mozzie posted:

Not a walter klassen vest, Scrub tier

I like being able to fit through doorways, thanks. :frog:

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I am going to tell Walter about your sacrilege and he'll punch you with his jesus robo arm.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Meh, yet another vest inventor who isn't thrilled to my reaction to their vests. First Fawcett, now Klassen. Who's left?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

thehustler posted:

Question for Steadiman, I guess!

We have a Glidecam 3000 with the arm and vest, and I'm using it with a relatively light camera to train myself because I think it's an interesting thing to do. It gets used precisely not at all at my place of work, but I figure it can't hurt to learn how to use it and have some extra strings to my bow. I quite enjoy the footage I get out of it.

I can't even go ice skating because the way I stand makes my lower back hurt. I think it's a balance issue. And I mean, this is a light rig, it's a Panasonic HPX171. It's not some huge shoulder mount camera with a RF transmitter on the back and a monitor on the bottom. I'm using the on-camera LCD (which may be the problem because of how I have to align my body to see the screen?)

A few threads on the main steadicam forum seem to suggest this is just a technique/strength issue but I'm worried that I can't physically do the job because of how I'm laid out.

I'm also tossing in my vote for it being you leaning forward while wearing your rig, that'll definitely give you back pain. If you're serious about Steadicam, you should go to a workshop--it's hard to tell if your stance is off when you're in the rig if you don't know what the proper stance is, so having someone tell you to straighten up when you're slouched over will help.

At the very least, get the Steadicam Operator's Handbook and/or the EFP Video Training DVD. I'm still working on saving up the money to head to a 5-day workshop, but the SOH and DVD have been invaluable in figuring out the very basics as I work with my school's Glidecam.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, I definitely think I'm leaning forward since I seem to naturally when I walk. It's been said I have an unusual gait.

I'll have another go today since we have very little work on at the moment. But I'll make sure to do some stretches first and warm up.

And yeah, I don't know if this will ever become my major focus, it's just something I wanted to get used to using so that if there was ever a need for it, I can say "well, I can fly a steadicam, maybe we can do that shot with it?" and maybe help out some of my friends who are working on short film productions etc. I figured that it would help to at least get some experience.

Who knows, maybe in the near future I'll decide I want to spend more time with it and enrol on a workshop. Right now I'm trying to ingest all the information I can.

Thanks guys

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

That's about how you should be standing. Your common center of gravity is between you and the rig, so if you lean forward instead of standing like in the picture, then your back has to do a whole lot of work to hold up both you and the rig since your CG is way out in front. I think having a light rig may make it a bit harder on you too, since it's harder to feel the difference between a bad stance and a good one.

If not a workshop, I still suggest the SOH/DVD for what you want to do, especially if you want information since those are the best sources of info that aren't workshops. You'll at least be aware of all the techniques even if you're not using them all the time.

Good luck!

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Tiresias posted:

Meh, yet another vest inventor who isn't thrilled to my reaction to their vests. First Fawcett, now Klassen. Who's left?

You must have had an improperly sized vest, I did some easy rig stuff with one of the vests with a 3D camera while testing it and the way it diverted the load off the shoulder straps right onto the hip bone was amazing. The 75 pounds of dual alexa's and beamsplitter, not so much.

Also walter's spring for his easyrig can be wound up for 150 pounds I think, which I dunno what monster of a human being could handle that.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
I also just found this old picture of myself with my original helmet camera. I imagine this is the only place on the forums that can appreciate its insanity.

Not pictured was the 6mm century, LMB-5 with 3 stages and preston MDR and motor system they ended up strapping to it. The fact the operator wasn't decapitated on set amazes me.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Mozzie posted:

You must have had an improperly sized vest, I did some easy rig stuff with one of the vests with a 3D camera while testing it and the way it diverted the load off the shoulder straps right onto the hip bone was amazing.

I don't get why everyone says "oh, the vest not have been properly sized". I've tried it a few times, and apparently it's never sized right.

Rather than fret about sized vs not sized properly, I think I'll stick with my PRO vest: light as a t-shirt, and I never feel the weight in my shoulders. ALWAYS on my hips. I like my vest, others will like whatever vests they like. In the end, if the shot looks good, who cares if I was wearing a belt buckle socket block and a whipped cream t-shirt?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

thehustler posted:

However, I seem to be suffering from amazingly painful lower back problems. I can only wear the rig for about 10 minutes before it starts to hurt a lot. Is this a technique thing? I'm quite a short bloke, not very strong really, and I know it takes time to build up strength. But I figure my slightly curved spine (always been that way) is loving things up."
Well you have already had some drat good answers but here's a drat long post to add to it (hopefully). The secret to wearing a Steadicam, and any kind of body-mounted stabilizer, is posture. If you are off even slightly then your body will punish you. The best trick is to keep in mind that your shoulders should be aligned with your hips at all times. This arches your lower back a little and removes the weight from your lower spine. What you seem to be experiencing is a symptom of rolling your shoulders forward. The result of this is that your upperback isn't really doing much anymore and all the weight gets slammed on your lower back. This compresses the spine there and will cause all kinds of havoc on the tiny little discs that live there because they were never meant to be carrying such high loads.

Remember that even with a light weight rig there can still be considerable downward mass! It is an exponential increase depending how far away from you the weight is. If you had a rig that weighed a total of, say, 20lbs (very lightweight) but pushed it out all the way then the total amount of downward mass can increase almost tenfold. The result of this is that you are essentially now carrying 200lbs on those tiny muscles! Now imagine flying an 80lbs rig! And kids, you can try this effect yourself to see how much fun it is...pick any heavy object and hold it close to you. Easy, right? Now hold out your arm all the way and see how long you can hold it...yeah, that's right. Physics is fun!

So to solve your posture problem you need to start looking at yourself operate. Get a friend to film you or stand in front of a mirror and just stand there. Look at yourself, are your shoulders aligned with your hips...back straight? Good! Now let go off the rig, does it fly away from you or come toward you? If yes then: not good, adjust the socket block until it stays floating without touching it while you are standing perfectly straight. Once you get that down, push the rig out farther and adjust your own balance accordingly. Ideally you should only need to push your hips back a little bit while maintaining the whole shoulder/hip thing and you will be in balance again (it floats there). The adjustment you have to physically make to stay in balance is actually tiny, all you're doing is shifting the common center of gravity between you and the rig, this lies right between your hips and the sled. There is a tendency to lean back to balance your upper back and assume a kind of rockstar pose (pushing your hips towards the rig). This is very bad and looks very silly. Reason is you are actually pushing your hips towards the rig when you lean your shoulders back, thus actually pushing the common CG closer to the rig so you have to lean back even farther to get it to balance. By then your spine is suddenly carrying the weight and muscle aren't doing anything! Very bad...the spine is not meant to be used like that. So don't do that, silly kitten!

Focus very hard on keeping your back straight and shoulders/hips in line and you should start feeling relief almost immediately. Also make sure you and the rig are balanced and you're not fighting it from falling away from you or flying towards you and that you have the vest nice and tight. If you have these things sorted, your life will be so much better and you can start focussing on getting awesome shots! You should not be doing anything else while practicing this! No shots, no walking, no monitor on. Just standing and learning to balance. This is really basic operating stuff and you MUST have this down before even considering tackling actual shots. This is important stuff!

Also, Mozzie, this is coming from a guy that knows Walter and thinks he is a genius and an all-round lovely guy, the Klassen vest is a very expensive placebo that actually does more harm than good if not used properly. But people use them, and use them well. But don't say things like "scrub tier"...dude, I'd expect better from you.

Oh and CaptainViolence...get all your fingers below the gimbal please! Watch your grip. It is a dangerous way to hold the gimbal because you are holding the rig above the CG and your hands are possibly compromising the bearings in the pan-axis. This could affect the stability and inertia of your pans and also you are giving up a level of control and feedback. The mantra of every single Steadicam workshop ever is "Stand up straight and watch your grip". Keep thinking that mantra in your head while you practice and pretend it's the instructors yelling it at you and you have the full workshop experience :)

Look! Posture!!! First picture I could find of a side profile but notice there is no actual leaning going on (an image commonly associated with Steadicam operators). I am just standing straight and normal, even while screwing around with my settings on a boat. Always in balance, never fighting the rig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 23, 2012

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Steadiman posted:

Oh and CaptainViolence...
I was confused about what you meant until I realized what you were referring to ... that picture I posted actually isn't me! I just pulled it off Wikipedia for demonstrating a somewhat proper posture, and didn't even look at the hands. Fear not, I keep my hand placed under the gimbal on the CG just where it should be when I operate! :)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

CaptainViolence posted:

I was confused about what you meant until I realized what you were referring to ... that picture I posted actually isn't me! I just pulled it off Wikipedia for demonstrating a somewhat proper posture, and didn't even look at the hands. Fear not, I keep my hand placed under the gimbal on the CG just where it should be when I operate! :)
Ah gotcha! Well then that dude needs to change his grip. Also, the dude in that picture is actually not in very good form. You'll notice his shoulders are leaning pretty far back over his hips. If he leans back this much with such a lightweight rig then, once he puts on a big rig, his shoulders will have to be even further back because that is how he's used to adjust his balance. Straight is Great! You should be able to have a straight line from the center of your shoulders to the center of your hips and that should remain as much as possible no matter how far you have to lean back. Steadicam 101 :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thems a whole lot of incredibly helpful words. Thanks very much. I'll set up a second camera on a tripod to film me standing up with the rig and see if I can tweak my stance. Nothing else to do this afternoon! :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Holy poo poo. Want.

http://www.select2gether.com/shopping/advsearch/-/-/steadicam+steadi+as+she+goes+tshirt

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well whaddyaknow? Set up a camera to shoot me standing there with the rig, turns out I was leaning back a bit and over-compensating for the hunch forward that I know I have. I tried to straighten up and it helped and I was able to shoot for a bit longer before it started to hurt.

I think it will always hurt, I'm just built that way. Shorter shots are required. I can't imagine myself ever becoming a live TV steadicam op for a 90 minute soccer game, but helping out friends with 1-2 minute shots for their productions will be a nice niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Steadiman posted:

Ah gotcha! Well then that dude needs to change his grip. Also, the dude in that picture is actually not in very good form. You'll notice his shoulders are leaning pretty far back over his hips. If he leans back this much with such a lightweight rig then, once he puts on a big rig, his shoulders will have to be even further back because that is how he's used to adjust his balance. Straight is Great! You should be able to have a straight line from the center of your shoulders to the center of your hips and that should remain as much as possible no matter how far you have to lean back. Steadicam 101 :)

Stuff like this is why I need that workshop! Thanks for the tip!

thehustler posted:

Well whaddyaknow? Set up a camera to shoot me standing there with the rig, turns out I was leaning back a bit and over-compensating for the hunch forward that I know I have. I tried to straighten up and it helped and I was able to shoot for a bit longer before it started to hurt.

I think it will always hurt, I'm just built that way. Shorter shots are required. I can't imagine myself ever becoming a live TV steadicam op for a 90 minute soccer game, but helping out friends with 1-2 minute shots for their productions will be a nice niche.
I've seen a couple videos of workshops and something I noticed is that the instructors have to keep reminding operators to stand up straight. I think it's one of those things you'll really have to focus on at first because if you're not paying attention you'll slip into a bad posture again while you're concentrating on something else.