Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
This is not the civ thread gents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Sorry Vas :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vasudus posted:

Oh sure, turn the civ thread back into mathchat. :( This one's at least about school.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

hannibal posted:

Khan Academy has some good calculus content.

Check out MIT's Open CourseWare for Calc. and the like. The Physics lectures are awesome too.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

Vasudus posted:

I think it might be time for a 3.0....this ones gettin' a bit cluttered. :angel:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

bonds0097 posted:

Check out MIT's Open CourseWare for Calc. and the like. The Physics lectures are awesome too.

There's this and a lot more on iTunes U as well, which I am quite fond of.

(mathchat rulez)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First college application submitted to UIC. poo poo is getting real.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

HeyEng posted:

I'm assuming you mean Illinois proper. In any case :3:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HeyEng posted:

Pretty soon you'll be screaming at the VA like the rest of us.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm assuming you mean Illinois proper. In any case :3:

Yea U of I - Chicago campus. Hipster broads and whatnot.

Vasudus posted:

Pretty soon you'll be screaming at the VA like the rest of us.

I cannot wait for the day to be angry at the VA for screwing me over on payments.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Financial Aid posted today :toot:

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Taxpayers just dropped a grand on books for this semester. Voc rehab is awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Financial Aid posted today :toot:

I was staring at my bursar balance with wide-eyed joy earlier. Saturday is going to be awesome.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

:slick:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Yay pell grant came through, I won't be dropped Friday for non-GI bill payment!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

I was staring at my bursar balance with wide-eyed joy earlier. Saturday is going to be awesome.

Since you told me what the deal was, you can probably imagine I've been F5'ing the poo poo out of my elion page.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

God drat. You beat me.

Barely, but still. That's a lot of money.

I feel like I should use my money responsibly, but I probably won't. Other than paying all of my rent for the semester at once (so that my BAH can all go to beer).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
gently caress I barely broke even on textbooks this semester

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

GD_American posted:

gently caress I barely broke even on textbooks this semester

What about grant money?

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Well I put in for a few classes a week ago just to fill up 3/4 time before I get another gen ed class later. I get an email saying that I'm in the system but not registered for any classes a while later. Unusual. Turns out the program I'm in got hamstringed or some loving nonsense, and those classes are no longer there. Not even on the full/wait list.

:thumbsup:

Time to make some phone calls

e: oh wait they'e there, it's just a shitload of red text CANCELLED and 0 OF 24 SEATS REMAINING

Mr. Samuel Shitley fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 21, 2012

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

front wing flexing posted:

What about grant money?

Wife makes too much.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

GD_American posted:

Wife makes too much.

Sucks man. Well, it doesn't suck, but it does. You know what I mean.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Eh. GS-7 salary plus my VA money means we're doing decent. Not nearly as nice as when I was doing fulltime millwright work + VA money and her salary, but decent.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
My balance from the bursar is showing me a $5,700 credit, but about $3,000 is from federal loans that I'm declining. Still, getting paid $2,000 a semester is amazing, considering the school is expensive as gently caress.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So I'm going to be attending a school of continuing studies at tulane to start my degree in a couple days and while taking to their veterans affairs lisason I realized that they don't participate very much in the yellow ribbon program.

Effectively I'll receive 1000$ off of the price of admission (approx 46k a year) if I decide to stay on at tulane after this year and transfer from their school of continuing studies into the actual university

So since that would be retarded I'm just double checking that the only obsticles to me transfering to another school after this year with the credits and accrue at the tulane school of continuing studies is gonna be acceptance of transfer credits and the like right? I'd still be able to inform the VA that I'm switching schools and get my tuition and bah shifted to a school that won't cost me 20K+ a year to attend in addition to my G.I benefits?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So I'm going to be attending a school of continuing studies at tulane to start my degree in a couple days and while taking to their veterans affairs lisason I realized that they don't participate very much in the yellow ribbon program.

Effectively I'll receive 1000$ off of the price of admission (approx 46k a year) if I decide to stay on at tulane after this year and transfer from their school of continuing studies into the actual university

So since that would be retarded I'm just double checking that the only obsticles to me transfering to another school after this year with the credits and accrue at the tulane school of continuing studies is gonna be acceptance of transfer credits and the like right? I'd still be able to inform the VA that I'm switching schools and get my tuition and bah shifted to a school that won't cost me 20K+ a year to attend in addition to my G.I benefits?

Correct, it's a simple form (VA Form 22-1995 found here: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-22-1995-are.pdf) and that's your only real obstacle outside of credits being accepted.

I had a look at their website, jesus gently caress is that place veteran unfriendly. 1k/1k is pretty loving awful.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

Correct, it's a simple form (VA Form 22-1995 found here: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-22-1995-are.pdf) and that's your only real obstacle outside of credits being accepted.

I had a look at their website, jesus gently caress is that place veteran unfriendly. 1k/1k is pretty loving awful.

I had a friend go there, he had an awesome time down there, but yeah it's very unfriendly to Vets. It's fun around Mardis Gras, though.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

kombatMedik posted:

I had a friend go there, he had an awesome time down there, but yeah it's very unfriendly to Vets. It's fun around Mardis Gras, though.

hahah yeah. When discussing how else I would be able to make up the difference in tuition their veteran affairs liaison suggested that maybe I could just use my housing stipend to pay for it in addition to getting a pell grant and maybe a partial academic scholarship.

Around that time I realized that I needed to start saving up to move to another area after this year to attend a college that isn't just trying to bleed me as much as possible.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Talked to the lady @ VA in charge of voc rehab, she said with just 10% I'd qualify and had no idea about anything to do with 20% that has been mentioned here before. Also said that because some new law got passed if I could talk the VA into leaving me 1 day of post 9/11 eligibility after this semester my voc rehab allowance would magically go from ~500 to a little over 1000 a month??? Hope I actually qualify though, sounds promising that I might.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

moker posted:

Talked to the lady @ VA in charge of voc rehab, she said with just 10% I'd qualify and had no idea about anything to do with 20% that has been mentioned here before. Also said that because some new law got passed if I could talk the VA into leaving me 1 day of post 9/11 eligibility after this semester my voc rehab allowance would magically go from ~500 to a little over 1000 a month??? Hope I actually qualify though, sounds promising that I might.

To the best of my knowledge it should still be 20% to qualify. The thing with Post 9/11 is true though, if you switch over to Voc Rehab and still have time left on 33, even one day, you get that stipend instead.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

To the best of my knowledge it should still be 20% to qualify. The thing with Post 9/11 is true though, if you switch over to Voc Rehab and still have time left on 33, even one day, you get that stipend instead.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

The verbage is here, no loving clue what a memorandum rating is

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

moker posted:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/

The verbage is here, no loving clue what a memorandum rating is

If you get put on TDRL/PDRL when you separate - like I did - then you have a service rating. However, the VA realistically doesn't accept it and requires you to be rated by them.

Basically tinnitus + anything else is your 20%.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

If you get put on TDRL/PDRL when you separate - like I did - then you have a service rating. However, the VA realistically doesn't accept it and requires you to be rated by them.

Basically tinnitus + anything else is your 20%.

Hope it works out then, if not she's getting yelled at for not knowing her job :twisted: (ok not really)

edit: She responded to my e-mail with this

Usually, a veteran is awarded a 20% memorandum rating when they are in the process of separating from the military. They do not officially have a service connected disability, because they are still considered active duty, and can't have a service contacted disability as of yet. The 20% memo rating is awarded because they have been told they will be service connected. This usually occurs for veterans that have a medical discharge or a severe disability has occurred while on active duty.

The 10% service connected disability rating is awarded to the veteran after separation and he/she has filed a claim for the rating.

-------

Sorta sounds the opposite of the way I understood it before

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 22, 2012

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Not to beat a dead horse but the official definition of the memorandum rating is as follows:

To be entitled to VR&E services, veterans with disabilities
generally must have at least a 20 percent disability rating and an
employment handicap as determined by a vocational rehabilitation
counselor. Although cash compensation is not available to
servicemembers until after they separate from the military, they can
receive VR&E services prior to separation under certain circumstances.
To make these services available prior to discharge, VA expedites the
determination of eligibility for VR&E by granting a preliminary rating,
known as a memorandum rating.

(source: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05167.pdf )

Apparently the counselor determines if someone @ just 10% should be entitled to it? She acted like it was no big deal for 10% so I think I'll be good

IM SPERGIN HARD BROS

I applied for it online though, so I'll let y'all know what happens :shobon:

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 22, 2012

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So when you're about to run out of 33 and are going to make the switch to Voc Rehab, what's the process like? Interviews, etc?

All I have to go by is our certifying official, and he's a proven dipshit

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

So when you're about to run out of 33 and are going to make the switch to Voc Rehab, what's the process like? Interviews, etc?

All I have to go by is our certifying official, and he's a proven dipshit

You apply online, and eventually meet with a Voc Rehab person once you jump through a few minor hoops. Then you do a few things and they determine the best way to help you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So blue-collar millwright/pipefitter getting his Business degree shouldn't be a problem, right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

So blue-collar millwright/pipefitter getting his Business degree shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yep, that's what they're there for: to find out what your goals are and help you obtain them in whatever way they can. Want to go to school and get a business degree? Fine. The opposite also applies, they'll buy you a full welding/whatever kit if you're going to a technical school to learn a trade.

And if you have your degree already, they can help with job placement, as vets under CH31 are a huge tax break too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not a problem at all.

After applying online you'll get a letter with time/location for meeting a counselor. You'll watch a video or two, take some tests on a computer, discuss the results, discuss goals, then after an hour or two you'll be signing an agreement. Once a semester you'll have to catch up with your counselor, either in person or by phone, give them an update on what classes your taking and anything you need.

Moker, I have no idea what that woman is telling you. VA Memorandum rating should be disability not awarded upon exit from active service, service connected is when you've started the process while still on active duty. Having 10% SC is not a big deal at all, it's all I've got.

You should get the BAH rate you would receive under Post-9/11, but it's not the standard for VR&E and requires extra paperwork, so make sure you ask about the BAH rate while you're in the counselor's office. At that time if you need anything, laptop, printer, calculator, whatever, tell your counselor and they'll start the paperwork.

GD, don't wait until you're down to your last day on GI Bill to switch over, it's much better to get in on it as early as possible. It's not like the benefits stack. Eating into CH33 time also eats into CH31 time, you just get an extra year of benefits.

Start now. It only takes about a month to get the ball rolling and have your first appointment with a counselor, maybe another month after that to get it firing on all cylinders. Though at this point it'll probably be easier to let it pick up after the fall semester.

E: And the job placement benefits are even more worth it, as Vas said, because of the tax credit companies get for hiring VR&E dudes. If they're having a hard time finding you a job then you stand a better chance of being pushed into a government job, so you can keep working on that retirement you started back on active duty.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

GD, don't wait until you're down to your last day on GI Bill to switch over, it's much better to get in on it as early as possible. It's not like the benefits stack. Eating into CH33 time also eats into CH31 time, you just get an extra year of benefits.

See this is where I'm confused. I was always told exhaust CH33 then you get a year of VR&E; if I go CH31 now I'd be covered under the same length of time that I would have been with 3yrs CH33 + 1 yr CH31?

• Locked thread