Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Vertigus posted:

I know some of the takedowns are violent but I really was not expecting being able to hold someone head-first in a furnace and have them flop around on fire before dying and leaving a charred corpse.

:v:: Haha yeah I'll probably just drag this guy over here and toss him in and close the doors-
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Is there supposed to be time jumps between missions? I went on a date with this girl and she's saying I bought her a dress which I didnt. Then one of my friends started talking about me helping him out while he planned the wedding and I'm like "what wedding?"

Probably, yeah. The game isn't explicit about it but I like to think that there are weeks or months between missions.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Is there supposed to be time jumps between missions? I went on a date with this girl and she's saying I bought her a dress which I didnt.

She didn't say that you bought her the dress. Read her entry in the reports.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hmm, Steam doesn't want to unlock my achievements. I even started a new game to see if that would fix it (I don't even have the achievement for finishing the night market chase mission) but nope, didn't go through. Not even replaying it helped. I want to 100% the game because it's fun but I don't want to resort to SAM to unlock things. Guess I'll just wait for a patch. The social popups are broken too since I'm constantly #1 even though I'm not when I look at the actual leaderboards.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Just got this game on Steam today. Is anyone else playing on the PC version getting stutter when they drive? I'm still at a constant 60 fps when this happens, so I don't really know what to make of it.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Look guys I don't like the shaking effect at high speed either but I'm not sure how anyone is seeing it as a technical issue. At least, I've never seen framerate problems or processor bottlenecking that was characterized by the camera having a tiny seizure while everything else remains just as smooth.

Also I'm lying I love the shaking effect. I'm probably the only one though.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Stroth posted:

can't tell if sarcastic

The red vest, jeans and boots give you a 15% bonus to Triad XP. They are a part of the 'Mountain Master Triad Set' and can be bought in the various shops of the game without requiring any DLC. What exactly are you getting at?

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

slev posted:

Just got this game on Steam today. Is anyone else playing on the PC version getting stutter when they drive? I'm still at a constant 60 fps when this happens, so I don't really know what to make of it.

I was getting this as well. Turn of the frame limiter and vsync in the video options. Force vsync using another program (EVGA precision, MSI afterburner, whatever) and it should be gone.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kryopsis posted:

What exactly are you getting at?

That it looks like you got that outfit by going back in time and mugging Marty McFly for his clothes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The mountain master set isn't spiritually complete unless you wear the panama hat.

Wear that hat like a boss.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Does buying stuff for your apartment actually do anything or did I buy a mattress and an air conditioner just because?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does buying stuff for your apartment actually do anything or did I buy a mattress and an air conditioner just because?

The stuff shows up in the apartments but it's just cosmetic.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

slev posted:

Turn down ambient occlusion

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where'd you find an air conditioner? All I've got is a bed and a dove.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Stroth posted:

Where'd you find an air conditioner? All I've got is a bed and a dove.

Just walking around the Night Market in circles, it was a guy back by the wall behind the stands.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Just walking around the Night Market in circles, it was a guy back by the wall behind the stands.

One of the night market back alleys has a stereo for your first safehouse too. You want the stereo.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Parkingtigers posted:

One of the night market back alleys has a stereo for your first safehouse too. You want the stereo.

All right, need to go shopping again. drat my completionism.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Loving this game. And it really feels like Hong Kong, the 1 time I was there.

Amusingly, the 'Danger! Keep Out' sign on the gambling ship seems to be taken from Singapore - the words are repeated in English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil. I am not sure if Hong Kong actually uses those signs though.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How does the reduce wanted level on action hijack ability work? I've tried it over and over again but nothing happens.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Sorry but is there a way to reduce the loving insanely sensitive camera when driving. It's the only thing about this game I dislike. That and other console holdovers, like jump and sprint being stuck on the same stupid key and the unresponsive phone controls.

Varicelli fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 21, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gah, I can't find all three parts of the "Mountain Master" triad clothing set. I forget if I'm missing either the pants or the shoes, but I've got the jacket. I don't have to wait for anything to get unlocked, right?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Just chiming in to say that I bought this game thinking "Oh GTA in HK, might be decent", found out after I started playing it that it's so much more.

Oh also the old bit about Activision can eat poo poo, yeah I guess I have to echo that sentiment too.

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

How does the reduce wanted level on action hijack ability work? I've tried it over and over again but nothing happens.

I know I've lost a wanted level 1 via action hijack but have not seen a difference at higher levels.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It'd be almost impossible to code without having crazy-good writers and planners working ahead of time, but the only way to completely improve this would be to have multiple paths through the story, such as like, "Do I betray guy X to save guy Y, do I do this to keep my cover or not" and maybe stuff like balancing trust levels so the triads don't execute you for being an obvious spy and the police don't yank their support because you've gone off the deep end. Or better yet, having the option to TOTALLY go off the deep end if you want.

But this isn't a Chris Avellone project, so I will have to content myself with kicking a man into an aquarium and beating his buddy to death with a fish.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man I know what you mean an alpha protocol style undercover cop or triad game would be amazing. Do you go all Chow Yun Fat on everyone with dual pistols in slow mo, just beat the poo poo out of everyone like a Jet Li movie, or do you try to keep the peace and only fight when necessary like Jackie Chan?

Suesh that would be so cool. But I'm glad that Sleeping Dogs is doing well. This game has had such a shakey birth that the end product being so good is almost a miracle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Speedball posted:

It'd be almost impossible to code without having crazy-good writers and planners working ahead of time, but the only way to completely improve this would be to have multiple paths through the story, such as like, "Do I betray guy X to save guy Y, do I do this to keep my cover or not" and maybe stuff like balancing trust levels so the triads don't execute you for being an obvious spy and the police don't yank their support because you've gone off the deep end. Or better yet, having the option to TOTALLY go off the deep end if you want.

But this isn't a Chris Avellone project, so I will have to content myself with kicking a man into an aquarium and beating his buddy to death with a fish.
When someone brings that up and the developers said they were more interested in telling a story in an open world game, I always think back to how much more interesting Mafia 2 would've been if the open world actually had stuff (besides scenery) to do other than you driving people inbetween shooting sequences. Well, the story in Mafia 2 was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but there never was a chance to jump off the main story and do anything else besides cruise around/random open world wankery. But SD I feel really marries both aspects rather well. The open world is used very well and they keep it interesting rather than it just being a backdrop or the main story is too long/annoying/uninteresting to continue (or GTA4 for me).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This game reaffirms that my favourite thing to do in modern open-world games is to drive around and ram assholes off their motorbikes.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Well, you convinced me goons and I got the game. It's fantastic just everything about it. The thing that sticks out the most for me is the ambiance. I've never been to Hong Kong, but it sure as hell feels like I'm there. I'm just constantly finding myself in awe at the the people going about there day, and the look of the city, and just how alive everything seems. I saw a pedestrian walk out of a building, so I tried to walk in and the door was locked. I'm sure it was just a spawn closet, but it struck me as a great little touch. And I loving love that you get a Rico outfit if you've played Just Cause 2

My favorite thing to happen so far is when I busted out a driver-side cab window with some punks head. He was the last thug in the fight so it played in slow motion, and I was laughing my rear end off as the bored cab driver turned to look at the incoming thug and an expression of realization and horror slowly spread across his face.

Also, I've got the Deep Undercover Pack since I got the game from Wal-Mart (I know, but it's the only place open when I get out of work). Here's a quick run-down of it:
The suit is kind of snazzy looking and gives a bonus to cop evasion. The car is a black super sports car. I'm not very good with cars, but I think it's a Lotus or Diablo or something like that. And the police scanner goes in your apartment. It's kind of fun to listen too and seems like it has quite a bit to say. First thing I heard was, "Uh, gonna need some bodybags. We gotta murder suicide in [?] Park."

"Man with out a pork bun in his hand... Well he ain't any kind of man at all!"

EDIT: You speak the truth Bloody Hedgehog. It never stops being funny and it never stops being satisfying.

EDIT 2: If anyone wants to add me for competing and such my XBL Tag is Skull Cheese. Send me message so I know you're a high class CHUD instead of one of the regular angry creepy racist CHUD's.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 21, 2012

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Aaaaaaahh, I only have two jade statues left to get and I know exactly where they are, but the buildings they're inside are inaccessible. Can anyone tell me when I can get to the statues at Two-Chins' house and the place across the street from... poo poo, I forget what building it is. The something Center? You can get to a balcony by climbing a lot of construction work, and from the balcony you can see inside and the statue is like ten feet away but the doors won't open arrrgh :argh: The last story mission I did is the one where you meet Vivienne and Sandra, how long should it be before I can finally get those statues?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Walrus Pete posted:

Aaaaaaahh, I only have two jade statues left to get and I know exactly where they are, but the buildings they're inside are inaccessible. Can anyone tell me when I can get to the statues at Two-Chins' house and the place across the street from... poo poo, I forget what building it is. The something Center? You can get to a balcony by climbing a lot of construction work, and from the balcony you can see inside and the statue is like ten feet away but the doors won't open arrrgh :argh: The last story mission I did is the one where you meet Vivienne and Sandra, how long should it be before I can finally get those statues?

Minor story progression spoilers: Two Chin's mansion should be the next mission (and it is a great mission), then it's either the next one or immediately after that you go to the apartment.

Finished the game myself. God loving dammit, I was so hoping Jackie would make it out alive, but as soon as Wei asked him to come to the election as a friend, I knew the poor guy was doomed. Sure made impaling Tong on his own drat machete feel good. And as someone else said, walking into the parking lot at BigLee's with a huge gently caress-off knife and asking "Who's first?" is wonderful. Hucked that machete into the first gunman's head, and then it was like something out of an NRA member's wet dreams. Bullets and blood and excessive firepower. The final showdown with Big Smile Lee wasn't exactly the most exciting thing, but when "Put Big Smile Lee in the Ice Chipper" popped up as the final objective, I was okay with everything. It really is interesting how the genre kinda leaps from Hong Kong Action to Korean Revenge for those last two missions, but drat if it isn't satisfying. Overall, a Good Game, and one I'm probably going to be buying at least the SWAT DLC for, if it lives up to that description. Oh and also mods. So many mods.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 21, 2012

SMP
May 5, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Extremely soon, you'll get the one in Two-Chin's mission first, the mission is called Bad Luck.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cool, thanks guys. No more shaking my fist at impenetrable doors! :downs:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Achievements on Steam for story missions (there are only 4 or 5) can't be unlocked if you replay them unfortunately. Oh well, I already hit New Game so I guess I'll just make a hard save before one of those and hope it goes off.

Formal Bad
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUGLNSIFZ5o

Has anyone had this happen to them? I tried getting on a bike and suddenly was in control of both the bike and Wei. Loving the game though, especially the really well executed setting.

Hinora
Mar 1, 2009

Jonny Retro posted:

If anyone wants to add me for competing and such my XBL Tag is Skull Cheese. Send me message so I know you're a high class CHUD instead of one of the regular angry creepy racist CHUD's.

Added and I'm Hinora on XBL if anyone wants to add me too

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Awesome, sup dude. May your kung-fu be strong.

I did some poking around and the (DLC SPOILER) Ghost Car in the Undercover Pack is a Spirra. And I also learned that people will try and jack you for your car in this game, or I somehow pissed some guy off by chillin' in my super cool car.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 21, 2012

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Varicelli posted:

That and other console holdovers, like jump and sprint being stuck on the same stupid key

No, this is a good thing. I'm now at the stage of actually looking at dedicated jump buttons as being bad design. It just leads to people leaping around like idiots in games where they really shouldn't. I'm totally fine with the idea that it's context sensitive, plus all you have to ever do is either press it, hold it down, or release and press. Had literally zero issues with it myself.

Does anyone know if you can lock yourself out of getting all the random world events? One thing that came up when I was googling my problem was a rumour that ifs one of the events can actually be failed. But you know it's a bad idea to believe what you read on the Internet, and it wasn't exactly from the deep end of the pool.

All I have left to do is 5 minutes of reckless driving, 30 free running attacks, grind up the last bit of Triad XP for the final unlock and that one missing world event. I'm really worried that my 40 hours of joyously fun work might end up falling at the last fence.

Oh and a quick message for anyone playing on an Asian PS3. The poker game is glitchy, made worse by the flipped O and X buttons. Not an issue mostly, but poker does come up in one of the later side cases where you'll need to play a few hands. To advance between rounds, you will need to press:

X to cancel.
O to cancel the cancel.
O to play again.

That will get you past the glitch so you can advance the case.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I actually never knew why the buttons didn't match up with other games until you posted that. I thought I had made some weird customization and forgot about it. It all makes sense now: Asian PS Triple.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

synertia posted:

I actually never knew why the buttons didn't match up with other games until you posted that. I thought I had made some weird customization and forgot about it. It all makes sense now: Asian PS Triple.

It makes this game a little tougher as sometimes the QTE button prompts don't match up. And sometimes they do. When a grappler throws you to the ground and goes to stomp you, it says X on screen (the sprint button) when actually you have to use the O (grapple) button. It's a little hit and miss, but that's an inconsistency between East and West at a Sony level.

P.S. If I can fix my final 0.37% completion tonight then I'll be going to the post office in the morning.

Random odd thing in game. Just chilling on the street and a dude in a red shirt and grey waistcoat ran up wielding a tire iron. He clobbered me, said something like "remember who I work for" and then ran off. I have no idea what the hell that was, but it was kind of cool.

Oh and favourite random dialogue ever: A man and woman at a cock fight. The man is saying "but you said you love animals" and the woman complains about it being the "worst birthday ever". This game. :3:

I hope Activision is enjoying the taste of all the poo poo they are eating right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Parkingtigers posted:

No, this is a good thing. I'm now at the stage of actually looking at dedicated jump buttons as being bad design. It just leads to people leaping around like idiots in games where they really shouldn't. I'm totally fine with the idea that it's context sensitive, plus all you have to ever do is either press it, hold it down, or release and press. Had literally zero issues with it myself.

Oh no Niko jumped for no reason in that other guys playthrough, his immersion!:qq:
In all seriousness, one of the biggest things I dislike about this game is how restricted your movement is. This doesn't really have anything to do with the lack of a jump button, although it does bother me that the parkour is mostly confined to completely linear tracks, with many low walls around the city that look like they should be climbable that aren't. But mostly I just feel like, in a vehicle, I'm much more confined to roads than I am in, say, San Andreas or Saints Row. The buildings seem to wall me in much more, and there also seems to be an excess of unbreakable fences for no apparent reason.

• Locked thread