Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

The Entire Universe posted:

Herein lies my conundrum. I'm using a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, and am currently using the Euroskank nightlies. I'd like to just flash to a stock Jelly Bean ROM, but XDA is just chock full of "optimized" and "lean" builds that I just can't bring myself to trust. Does anyone have any idea where I might just be able to find a plain jane Jelly Bean ROM for my loving toroplus? CM is pretty nice, but as you say, it's a little short of being fully cooked.

CM is as good as you're going to get in that regard. http://get.cm/?device=toroplus

XDA is awful and every non CM ROM I've ever seen is just CM with stuff ripped out, or one time builds that I just don't trust enough. Also they're all going to have the same problems. If CM can't do it, the odds are none of the other ROMS will be able to either.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I have a rooted Samsung Captivate and I noticed that my phone has a different IMEI number than the one listed on the sticker under the battery. How could this have happened?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

The guy is actually from Asia so I'm willing to give him a small pass on the anime, but I tried it and got no noticeable increase in system volume.

As an aside, it's not that I have a problem with people liking anime*, its the juxtaposition of anime girls announcing that he's an "XDA Senior Member". It's just :rolleyes:

*(1) I'm glad people like different stuff, and (2) I participate in an online forum about cell phones, so I'm not going to pick on people for having nerdy hobbies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

I have a rooted Samsung Captivate and I noticed that my phone has a different IMEI number than the one listed on the sticker under the battery. How could this have happened?
The Samsung Galaxy S line, including the Nexus S, store the IMEI information in a folder called the /efs folder. Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, made it possible to overwrite this folder which erases the only place the IMEI is stored.

So when the script kiddies at xda accidentally overwrote their /efs folders the IMEI reads as the generic Samsung IMEI for the phone. That leads to multiple IMEIs on carriers, which leads the carrier to blacklist the IMEI, which leads to you having a phone that potentially can never be repaired except by Samsung.

Once it's gone, it's gone forever. The generic IMEI is 004999010640000.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

LastInLine posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S line, including the Nexus S, store the IMEI information in a folder called the /efs folder. Samsung, in their infinite wisdom, made it possible to overwrite this folder which erases the only place the IMEI is stored.

So when the script kiddies at xda accidentally overwrote their /efs folders the IMEI reads as the generic Samsung IMEI for the phone. That leads to multiple IMEIs on carriers, which leads the carrier to blacklist the IMEI, which leads to you having a phone that potentially can never be repaired except by Samsung.

Welp, that's the IMEI I have right now... I have my real IMEI from the sticker on the back, but you say it's gone forever, you mean there is no way to manually restore it?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 20, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

Welp, that's the IMEI I have right now... I have my real IMEI from the sticker on the back, but you say it's gone forever, you mean there is no way to manually restore it?
If there were, people could change the IMEI to whatever they wanted which is not only illegal, it's illegal to discuss.

The only way to fix it is to send it to Samsung and even that doesn't always work since sometimes they will refuse to repair it if the IMEI doesn't match.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

LastInLine posted:

If there were, people could change the IMEI to whatever they wanted which is not only illegal, it's illegal to discuss.

The only way to fix it is to send it to Samsung and even that doesn't always work since sometimes they will refuse to repair it if the IMEI doesn't match.

I actually backed up my efs before I tried unlocking the phone, could that have hosed up my IMEI? Can I restore the backup or is that also illegal?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

I actually backed up my efs before I tried unlocking the phone, could that have hosed up my IMEI? Is there a way to check the IMEI of the backup files before I bother to restore it?
Not that I know of but seriously at this point you can't do any more harm than is already done.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Does the nandroid backup from the recovery screen also save efs data?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

Does the nandroid backup from the recovery screen also save efs data?
It does not, which was another thing that caught users by surprise. Recovery builders may have started to include such a feature in SGS-specific recoveries but I know that CWR does not include such a thing. There are a few tools floating around that back up and restore the folder over ADB.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
poo poo, so I have the efs backup in a .zip, can I just install that .zip with the recovery screen?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm basically going to have to post here to find out about any hosed up issues before I root any phone I buy in the future, huh? I feel like I got super lucky that my G2 rooted without issue despite my bumbling around learning the process.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm basically going to have to post here to find out about any hosed up issues before I root any phone I buy in the future, huh?
Yes of course, absolutely, please do.

Remember, rooting a phone involves installing unauthorized software to do unauthorized things, with the potential to fuckup any and all aspects of your phone.

You really don't want place your faith solely in the hands of a few xda l33t hackers and their pngaligned heaps of poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Frozen-Solid posted:

CM is as good as you're going to get in that regard. http://get.cm/?device=toroplus

XDA is awful and every non CM ROM I've ever seen is just CM with stuff ripped out, or one time builds that I just don't trust enough. Also they're all going to have the same problems. If CM can't do it, the odds are none of the other ROMS will be able to either.

Oh well. I plan on flashing back to stock if Sprint ever decides to display a flicker or two of life regarding updating this thing. I rooted and flashed mainly for the traffic notifications, god knows what will happen if I kludge that hackjob of an ICS GNow port into my phone. The various quirks of nightly builds negate much if not all of the benefit of Butter, and a lot of the added UI elements of CM just don't appeal to me. They're not disgusting or annoying, but I don't gently caress with the power settings enough to need buttons for everything in the notifications bar, I don't set up profiles, etc. The reboot option is about the only thing I think I would truly miss having, and that's so incredibly minor it's almost beneath mention.

It's just that I trust CM more than XDA's playpen, despite them being probably the same pool of people. At least Cyanogen ROMs are developed with an aim towards stability as opposed to requiring various apps to make sure the kernel's CPU voltage/file system fuckery doesn't murder your phone in its sleep.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's some overlap between CM and xda, but that's mostly because xda serves as a somewhat convenient vehicle for interacting with users with regards to bug reports and problems. Otherwise CM developers regard most of xda with as much scorn as we do, if not more so.

See, CM is actually, for the most part, a collaborative effort where folks participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback, with the goal of creating a unified top-notch Android distribution that works simultaneously on a bunch of hardware with few ad-hoc hacks--fewer than even most stock ROMs (which don't have to run on a diverse set of hardware). There's not a whole lot done by fiat, actually that's almost exclusively limited to their branding and mascot.

Independent AOSP/CM-based xda ROMs are, for the most part, created by folks who can't or are unwilling to participate in the above style of collaboration. Whether that's due to hubris, incompetence, OCD control freak, etc., or just a desire to "go in a different direction" is your guess.

Yoosetsu
May 17, 2012

God knows what he's doin'
He wrote this book here and the book says, "He made us all to be just like him"
So, if we're dumb, then god is dumb and maybe even a little ugly on the side
F.Z.
Is there any possibility to root a Xperia arc (LT15i)
Build number 4.0.2.A.0.62
Android version 2.3.4
? This lack of internal memory is killing me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Independent AOSP/CM-based xda ROMs are, for the most part, created by folks who can't or are unwilling to participate in the above style of collaboration. Whether that's due to hubris, incompetence, OCD control freak, etc., or just a desire to "go in a different direction" is your guess.

My guess is that they're people who have gotten told to gently caress off by the collaborative types like Cyanogen, like the one libertarian that comes along for the ride when you're out with your friends.

At some point everyone's had enough of their horseshit navelgazing pseudointellectual drivel and either tell them to go Galt and take a taxi home, or just stop including them altogether.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

StickFigs posted:

poo poo, so I have the efs backup in a .zip, can I just install that .zip with the recovery screen?
Sorry, you'd caught me just before bedtime.

No, I don't think it's recovery-flashable, which you've probably already discovered on your own. Unfortunately there are a lot of /efs backup and restore tools and I'm not sure how one would go about finding out which one you need to use to restore it. How did you make/acquire the backup?

The good news is that if the phone is working now you don't have to worry until the carrier blocks it.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
I know that there was a big deal with people losing their IMEIs with the GS3 but from what I've read someone found a way to restore it even if you didn't have it backed up. So there should be a way for other phones too.

Also for anyone wanting to try another JB based ROM besides CM10 that's not made by idiots there's always AOKP if it's available for your phone.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Jesus Christ.

I'm basically going to have to post here to find out about any hosed up issues before I root any phone I buy in the future, huh? I feel like I got super lucky that my G2 rooted without issue despite my bumbling around learning the process.

Rooting your phone, in and of itself, has very little risk theoretically. When you start installing custom recoveries and modifying the poo poo out of all the internal partitions this is when stuff can get very weird indeed.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So XDA is unreliable, and even though I've got a nandroid I want feedback. I've got a rooted EVO 3D running ICS. I installed Nova launcher, but that just drove home how ugly the Sense lock screen is. XDA tells me to "just remove or rename /system/app/HtcLockScreen.apk and /system/app/HtcLockScreen.odex in recovery. Make sure your system partition is mounted first." and allegedly the phone will default to standad Android lock screen. Is this accurate?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I flashed from the Euroskank CM10 nightlies to the official CM10 nightlies, and it seems a bit snappier, especially in GNow and search. Didn't wipe anything other than cache and dalvik, either.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

So XDA is unreliable, and even though I've got a nandroid I want feedback. I've got a rooted EVO 3D running ICS. I installed Nova launcher, but that just drove home how ugly the Sense lock screen is. XDA tells me to "just remove or rename /system/app/HtcLockScreen.apk and /system/app/HtcLockScreen.odex in recovery. Make sure your system partition is mounted first." and allegedly the phone will default to standad Android lock screen. Is this accurate?

While I don't have experience with hacking HTC phones, I wouldn't trust that advice. HTC Sense does a lot of mods to the general Android framework. There's no guarantee at all if the data for the stock Android lockscreen is still present anywhere in the device.

I found a thread in the Samsung forum that seems to imply that Android lockscreen behavior is a lot more complicated than just the presence of an APK.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Loucks posted:

I don't know enough about Sense to know but since it's the night crew I figured you didn't want to wait for a definite answer. I don't know if it will work, but if you copy the file to your PC in your adb/platform-tools folder then if it doesn't work you can put the file back via ADB instead of needing to restore a nandroid. Leave USB debugging turned on.

Edit: I agree with ProjektorBoy in that I doubt it will work as well.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 21, 2012

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I'm stuck at work so I can't try it until later. Was just going to append .bak to the files, but if it's unlikely to work I might not even bother. Sense is annoying as hell, but there isn't a stable CM release. Back to google for other potential solutions. Thanks, guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Loucks posted:

I'm stuck at work so I can't try it until later. Was just going to append .bak to the files, but if it's unlikely to work I might not even bother. Sense is annoying as hell, but there isn't a stable CM release. Back to google for other potential solutions. Thanks, guys.
If it causes issues you can always just revert. There's certainly no harm in making the attempt for :science:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While this is true most of the time, there are exceptions. I'm currently running an unofficial CM10 nightly on my TF300; they only mods the dev made, as far as I can tell, were to make it run on the tablet. A week ago he applied for official nightly status, but was denied because they already have a "Transformer Guy". The current CM Asus tablet dev has yet to release a CM10 build for the TF300 and the most recent changes that he's made to the CM code have all been pulls from the unofficial TF300 CM10 rom's Github.

So yeah.

[Edit: Just checked XDA and it looks like the CM team decided to make the unofficial TF300 ROM official after all, so I guess my story is now invalid. Oh well.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 21, 2012

Hussar
Oct 25, 2007

Figured I should turn to you guys for some help before I do something stupid with my device.

I received a Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000) and followed a guide to get it running this: AOKP Milestone 6 Build. I remember installing something called GB Stock Safe and something else called Overcome 7 Kernel. I had no idea what i was doing, but everything works (except the camera) and runs smoothly, cool.

Now I was thing of installing a plain CyanogenMod rom from here http://get.cm/?device=p1, but I'm stressing out about potentially bricking the device because I don't understand the fundamental I've been making to the tablet. Should I restart the entire process with Odin and flashing pits, pdas, modems, GB Stock Safe, and kernels? Am I safe in just installing the rom through CWM? Maybe I should use a different rom or just stay with what I'm using.

I'm also not entirely clear on what/who AOKP, SGT7, Gummy is/are, but I do know a stable and fully functional ICS build is what I'm after. Any help or input is appreciated.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hussar posted:

Figured I should turn to you guys for some help before I do something stupid with my device.

I received a Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000) and followed a guide to get it running this: AOKP Milestone 6 Build. I remember installing something called GB Stock Safe and something else called Overcome 7 Kernel. I had no idea what i was doing, but everything works (except the camera) and runs smoothly, cool.

Now I was thing of installing a plain CyanogenMod rom from here http://get.cm/?device=p1, but I'm stressing out about potentially bricking the device because I don't understand the fundamental I've been making to the tablet. Should I restart the entire process with Odin and flashing pits, pdas, modems, GB Stock Safe, and kernels? Am I safe in just installing the rom through CWM? Maybe I should use a different rom or just stay with what I'm using.

I'm also not entirely clear on what/who AOKP, SGT7, Gummy is/are, but I do know a stable and fully functional ICS build is what I'm after. Any help or input is appreciated.
First remember I know nothing about the specifics of your device.

What I will tell you is if you have things working properly now, booting into recovery and wiping everything ("everything" always means data, Dalvik, and cache) then flashing CM and GApps should be specific. Kernels are included in ROMs so you don't need to flash those unless a different kernel contains something you need. It's been my experience that additional kernels often break more than they fix but there are a lot of exceptions.

Radios you don't need to touch unless the current one isn't working properly. Unlike kernels they are not included in ROMs and are untouched by the flashing process.

So sure, nandroid (backup in recovery), wipe, and flash away.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
So I should be getting an SGS3 (I9300) tomorrow.
Is CM10 the ROM of choice? I definitely want to ditch TouchWiz, but things like "memory leak", "camera *should* work for pictures" and "in call audio might work" do not fill me with confidence. Is it worth sticking with CM9 for now or is it not as bad as it sounds? Or is CM9 also broken and I should have ordered a Nexus?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

DashingGentleman posted:

Is CM10 the ROM of choice? I definitely want to ditch TouchWiz, but things like "memory leak", "camera *should* work for pictures" and "in call audio might work" do not fill me with confidence. Is it worth sticking with CM9 for now or is it not as bad as it sounds? Or is CM9 also broken and I should have ordered a Nexus?

What's your specific problems with the ICS/S3 TouchWiz?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

DashingGentleman posted:

Why don't you just install nova launcher and call it a day. If touchwiz is all you're looking to get rid of. Wait till the developer scene gets a bit more stable.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

DemonMage posted:

What's your specific problems with the ICS/S3 TouchWiz?

I absolutely hated the previous iterations and really like the stock ICS/JB aesthetic and functionality. I could be completely wrong, but it all looks slightly janky and half-baked to me - s-voice, the design of their version of the stock apps, the lock screen, and so on.

Might stick with it until the JB release and see how things go. Anyone played with the JB leak?

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 21, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

DashingGentleman posted:

I absolutely hated the previous iterations and really like the stock ICS/JB aesthetic and functionality. I could be completely wrong, but it all looks slightly janky and half-baked to me - s-voice, the design of their version of the stock apps, the lock screen, and so on.

Might stick with it until the JB release and see how things go. Anyone played with the JB leak?

I hated the idea of TW too but I am reallllly liking it now, there are plenty of other cool features other than the S poo poo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DashingGentleman posted:

So I should be getting an SGS3 (I9300) tomorrow. Is CM10 the ROM of choice?
I'd give both CM9 and CM10 a try.

The CM9 known issues look pretty innocuous. The bit about "voicecall audio" not working means there's a bunch of I9300 radio firmwares (probably for different locales) and they don't all behave the same. If it's a UK device, the latest official one probably just works or there would be specific mention of that.

The CM10-specific issues with regard to the hardware composer and memory leak are probably related to "butter". It's a pretty significant rehorking of the rendering/display subsystem and a lot of devices are having similar problems, many of which are related to unfinished proprietaries and the issues should go away as official JB releases firm up.

I can't say if ordering a Nexus was a better option or not. Personally I'm suspicious of all Exynos devices, even though they're typically better supported in the UK and internationally. The I9300 is a powerhouse compared to the Galaxy Nexus, but if you don't need all the high-end features, the Nexus is definitely better from a speedy-update perspective.

I imagine you could make a straight-up trade for a used Nexus though. Especially after the official I9300 JB update hits.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Munkaboo posted:

I hated the idea of TW too but I am reallllly liking it now, there are plenty of other cool features other than the S poo poo.

Yeah, I just rooted and flashed CM10 on my S3 last night, and while I love it, I miss a lot of the TW features. The "vibrate when you grab your phone in your pocket if you have a notification" thing in particular I like. I have a nandroid backup from right before installing CM10, so if I want to I'll go back, I'm definitely liking CM10 though. Without any of the Sprint/TW stuff it feels more like a Nexus now, which is cool.

Edit: Oh, and the camera app. The S3's stock camera app is so much better than this one

quantegy
May 18, 2002
I've got a Fascinate which I've kept stock until now because it worked well enough for what I wanted to do with it and XDA did not inspire confidence. Recently it's started locking up and rebooting fairly often so I figured now I didn't have much to lose.

I rooted, did Titanium Backup and installed AOKP milestone 6 bult with the Devil kernel. I was going to do teamhacksung's ics port but coincidentally, the weekend I did this, goo.im upgraded their servers and lost most of their files so finding a link to a ROM I "trusted" was a bit challenging. Amazingly (to me) it all went smoothly.

My problem is with wifi, it seems to lose connection very frequently, even sitting next to the router. It shows full bars but they randomly turn grey. Only toggling wifi off/on will restore the connection. I tried changing the wifi power mode from powersaving to stronger wifi in the kernel config, but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas what I can try? Different ROM, different radio?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quantegy posted:

I've got a Fascinate which I've kept stock until now because it worked well enough for what I wanted to do with it and XDA did not inspire confidence. Recently it's started locking up and rebooting fairly often so I figured now I didn't have much to lose.

I rooted, did Titanium Backup and installed AOKP milestone 6 bult with the Devil kernel. I was going to do teamhacksung's ics port but coincidentally, the weekend I did this, goo.im upgraded their servers and lost most of their files so finding a link to a ROM I "trusted" was a bit challenging. Amazingly (to me) it all went smoothly.

My problem is with wifi, it seems to lose connection very frequently, even sitting next to the router. It shows full bars but they randomly turn grey. Only toggling wifi off/on will restore the connection. I tried changing the wifi power mode from powersaving to stronger wifi in the kernel config, but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas what I can try? Different ROM, different radio?

I'd recommend Cyanogen, if only because they're pretty much the only folks who give a poo poo about stability and reliability. http://get.cm/?device=fascinatemtd (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Fascinate:_Full_Update_Guide for detailed instructions on updating)

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Cheers for the advice guys. I had a tough time choosing between the S3 and GNex, in the end the overkill spec and SD card slot won me over. Would consider HTC as well, but the current Samsung lineup has the magic formula of GLONASS + barometer accurate enough for altitude readout + swappable battery = sexy hiking/cycling phone. I would give a kidney for one with a transflective screen though.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I just rooted and flashed CM10 on my S3 last night, and while I love it, I miss a lot of the TW features. The "vibrate when you grab your phone in your pocket if you have a notification" thing in particular I like. I have a nandroid backup from right before installing CM10, so if I want to I'll go back, I'm definitely liking CM10 though. Without any of the Sprint/TW stuff it feels more like a Nexus now, which is cool.

Edit: Oh, and the camera app. The S3's stock camera app is so much better than this one

It'd be great if you could post if you run into any major issues or decide to flash back. Consider yourself a gentleman explorer, plotting the uncharted jungles of unstable ROMs (so I don't have to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

DashingGentleman posted:

Cheers for the advice guys. I had a tough time choosing between the S3 and GNex, in the end the overkill spec and SD card slot won me over. Would consider HTC as well, but the current Samsung lineup has the magic formula of GLONASS + barometer accurate enough for altitude readout + swappable battery = sexy hiking/cycling phone. I would give a kidney for one with a transflective screen though.

It'd be great if you could post if you run into any major issues or decide to flash back. Consider yourself a gentleman explorer, plotting the uncharted jungles of unstable ROMs (so I don't have to).

My hour or so I've spent with cm10 on a vzw s3 frustrated me because it seemed like it would crash/reboot about 3/4 of my attempts to open the camera.