Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm sure we're only seeing one section of it but that is truly awesome. I love that favela/shanty town section!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Thanks, y'all. Taking good pictures has always been the hard part with this thing, but I guess we're supposed to get the chance to do some well lit ones before we drop it off at the store. I'll post some final ones then.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm thinking of buying a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for stripping minis instead of trying to reach everything with a toothbrush. Are they good when it comes to cleaning the smallest details, or am I better off with scrubbing by hand?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I've actually had good luck with one of those "water pick" teeth cleaner things. Basically a miniature-scale pressure washer.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

I'm thinking of buying a cheap ultrasonic cleaner for stripping minis instead of trying to reach everything with a toothbrush. Are they good when it comes to cleaning the smallest details, or am I better off with scrubbing by hand?
You are in luck! I just came here to post that I did a writeup on an ultrasonic cleaner I just bought - I did it up on my blog because I didn't feel like reposting on every single forum I frequent. You can read part one here: http://directfire.blogspot.com/. Parts 2 and 3 will be up in the next couple of days, as time permits.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah I do. Results? I'm looking for something that'll clean the little nooks and crannies where a brush won't reach. I can strip minis wonderfully, but only where I can reach it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
As you will see in part two tomorrow (I haven't finished writing it up), the results are pretty drat good. Long story short, with two cycles of 480 seconds each, with a scrub after each cycle, the models are almost completely clean.

You're still going to have to scrub, but the time is reduced and I thought it was easier. I don't think there are many options out there where you don't have to work a bit for good results.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

PaintVagrant posted:

Crosspost from WM/H thread:

Painted this up for Fyrbrands/Muggins blog, :siren:Freshcoast 40k. :siren:

They run 40k and warmachine articles about the burgeoning Flint, MI scene, and are sponsored by their awesome LGS who is a legit online retailer as well.

A little late but goddamn that's a fine looking gaspy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

As you will see in part two tomorrow (I haven't finished writing it up), the results are pretty drat good. Long story short, with two cycles of 480 seconds each, with a scrub after each cycle, the models are almost completely clean.

You're still going to have to scrub, but the time is reduced and I thought it was easier. I don't think there are many options out there where you don't have to work a bit for good results.
Actually I wanted to soak them, brush the paint off quickly and use the cleaner to take care of the details. I don't think a film over a whole mini would improve the cleaning process.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are in luck! I just came here to post that I did a writeup on an ultrasonic cleaner I just bought - I did it up on my blog because I didn't feel like reposting on every single forum I frequent. You can read part one here: http://directfire.blogspot.com/. Parts 2 and 3 will be up in the next couple of days, as time permits.

You've got the same model as I have. Pro cleaning buddies.

Typically I soak the models in the cleaning agent for an hour or two before putting them into the sonic bath with just water, or water mixed with a little bit of Vallejo cleaner. That's only because I've heard that the sonic bath works better with water as opposed to thicker liquids, but I'm not sure whether that's actually true or not.

The heat function can help take the paint off, and is an absolute godsend when straightening bits of Finecast.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You've got the same model as I have. Pro cleaning buddies.

Typically I soak the models in the cleaning agent for an hour or two before putting them into the sonic bath with just water, or water mixed with a little bit of Vallejo cleaner. That's only because I've heard that the sonic bath works better with water as opposed to thicker liquids, but I'm not sure whether that's actually true or not.

The heat function can help take the paint off, and is an absolute godsend when straightening bits of Finecast.
:hfive:

I'll have to try it with just water - I assumed that having a cleaning agent would help with the process, but maybe it's just the sonic action/magic doing all the work. I'm guessing you get good results? Have you tried to strip any Forge World yet?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I haven't tried it on any Forgeworld stuff that I can remember, but I'd imagine that it will work well enough. It certainly works a treat on plastic and metal.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Who was the cool dude using Halfords Red Primer to base his/her stuff? I'm thinking of using it for some quick and dirty Blood Angels but could use some photos of the colour it ends up as.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You might be thinking of me...I bought a can of it but ended up using Army Painter black primer and GW Khorne Red base paint for my Khorne Berzerkers. I might try it for my next group of normal tactical marines, since I have the can still.

I have an offer for any UK goons in the Burton/Derby/Notts area: I have a gigantic bag of kiln-dried sand that anyone is welcome too, just bring a bag, can or bucket and you can have what you need. I have far more than I need, and this is the good, fine-grade stuff. It's been stored inside since I got it so it's still bone-dry.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ijyt posted:

Who was the cool dude using Halfords Red Primer to base his/her stuff? I'm thinking of using it for some quick and dirty Blood Angels but could use some photos of the colour it ends up as.

I think that was Krushgroove :v: KG get your arse out of the F1 thread and come here

Edit: that's what I get for waiting to hit post :doh:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha, I spend more time in the painting and 40k threads these days than F1!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ah cool, hit me up with a PM if you end up spraying 'em with it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I definitely will be using it, I'll take progress pictures and everything if you want.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
First time I've painted in 2 months, be gentle

Did this for a friend of mine, who is doing black trolls instead of the standard scheme. It was a lot of fun!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Barrels. Barrels. BARRELS.

Looks good otherwise. :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

Barrels. Barrels. BARRELS.

Looks good otherwise. :v:

I loving suck at drilling metal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

crime fighting hog posted:

I loving suck at drilling metal.

Painted black circles are better than nothing.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Painted black circles are better than nothing.

I literally just did this with a sharpie. I'm surprised how much better it looks.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

"Paint me like one of your French girls..." :v:

That's pretty as gently caress. Did you feel weird about painting one soul cage in particular? Or was that just me...

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Does anyone know of a company that makes like cloth tabards or loincloths that fit on space marines? I've checked the usual places like Scibor, Maxmini, and Puppetswar but didn't see any, and trying to find individual space marine legs set up like that is both time-consuming and expensive as hell. Any ideas?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_71&product_id=52
http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_71&product_id=76
http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_71&product_id=81

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Managed to salvage the boat I was making. Used the heat gun on the plasticard to get it to bend nicely, chopped out the chunky parts, and then covered it in really thin slices of wood, like how they make model ships.

It is a bit lopsided, as I took it off my shaper a little too soon, and in covering up some parts with the wood it kind of warped it a little.

However, this can all be covered up. I have the basic shape and the wood panels make it look boat like.

Having googled around, and wanting something cool looking, I found a basic sketch design for the Clash of the Titans before they went for the huge barge seen in the recent movie.

I am liking the look of it. Now I have the boat here with me, I think it might be a little small for Charon from the Helldorado range. Might need to scratch build something, not sure. I'll check out my Charon figure, but it's not a small miniature.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Have any Goons got any tips for cutting down a slot tab into a pin? I've used cutters to cut it down tot he foot but filing this down to size is going to take hours it feels like.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flipswitch posted:

Have any Goons got any tips for cutting down a slot tab into a pin? I've used cutters to cut it down tot he foot but filing this down to size is going to take hours it feels like.

Does it have to be as thin as a pin, or can you just widen the hole into which you're slotting the foot?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Flipswitch posted:

Cut the whole thing off and use a real pin?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Battlewagon is coming along...

Got the deffrolla sprue ordered which leaves me with doing the top plates on the side panels and then the wonderful riveting task.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fix posted:

Does it have to be as thin as a pin, or can you just widen the hole into which you're slotting the foot?
Ideally yes, I'm using a resin base and the foot on the miniature is absolute tiny, so I'm trying to do as little damage to the base as possible.

Eyespy posted:

Not a chance on this miniature:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Eyespy posted:

This is usually the best option.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Try a metal file, or a dremel tool with one of those sanding bits.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What I did with several of my Colette crew figures was to leave some width to the tab, and cut a notch for the tab into one of the planks on the base. Also, I made the base plank by plank. And I still need to in and gapfill where the tab slots in.

Moral of the story: Augh gently caress those feet are so tiny!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Many malifaux figs, particularly women, are a goddamn beast to assemble, often for no particularly obvious reason.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else participated in the Kickstarter for Reaper Miniatures?

I just found out about it yesterday through friends and we are planning to pick up base paints along with close to two hundred plastic minis. I am fairly new to minis, but is there a consensus among goons with regards to the plastic used for these minis? I tried painting a Bones mini at gencon, and aside from a little soft and rubbery I didn't have any complaints.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Haha, see why it's useless to try to segregate the Kickstarter talk? :) It's just going to come up constantly. Not your fault Weirdo, we have been drooling over this off and on over the past few weeks. I think the consensus from people who've handled the minis is that the plastic should be fine and even resist breaking from drops. There's quite a lot of us that are signed up for it, it's a spectacular deal, even with international shipping. I'm trying to hold off adding the Nethermaul to my list but I don't think I can hold out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a couple bones minis already and yeah, they're soft. In fact, my whispy ghost dude can touch his head to his rear end, no problem. However, I have yet to paint any of them and I'm curious if anyone knows how the paint holds up to being flexed, since some of the thinner minis will flex just with regular handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If paint flex is the question, I have a basically neverending supply of polycarbonate sheets (about 1.5-2mm thick) available to me, and I use some of those last week to try painting some lake/pond 'terrain' (basically painting one side and leaving the other side alone so it would reflect like a still pond would. I used Vallejo paint and Flow Improver to do a half-assed wet blend (didn't come out well) and I can bend and twist the plastic sheet a week later without any cracking or anything. It's perfectly fine. My tester ponds are about 8-10 inches long so I think a much less flexible model 1 or 2 inches high will be fine.

• Locked thread