Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

dis astranagant posted:

Because the Archer isn't actually as badly mauled as you think it is and can be brought up to practically full strength just by taking the time to give it another LRM20. All you fuckers are wasting a perfectly good machine.

An Archer isn't a 'perfectly good machine.' It is.... an Archer. The textbook definition of mediocrity. Forcing some poor Goon pilot into using it is cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Doing this backwards, because the objectives will dictate the strategic choices.

Next target:

Yan Company from A Potter's Field to E Mt. Gila. Yan Company is tasked with knocking out the power generators. Ideally, we move just a little before Niu and Ma, because

Niu Company from G Topside Woods to B Apache Junction. Niu emerges from the water hopefully right as the lights go out. Niu has a lot of jumpers left, which will give them strong tactical mobility in an urban environment. If things go bad next turn, they should look to retreat to F Pebble Beach[/b] where the aerospace threat is now diminished, or stay put to be relieved by Yan Company coming down over the volcano.

Ma Company from I Kas-Ki-Yeh to C Sonora. Also as the lights go out. We still have strategic surprise and the initiative and we should take full advantage of it. The Clans will not have had the opportunity to consolidate forces at this time, and Ma has a whole goddamn company of dedicated city-fighters. The urban environment will force Clan forces into close combat with a lot of Hunchbanks, negating their range advantage. Ma Company has safe ground to retreat to if they need to in Kas-Ki-Yeh, which also negates the Clan's heat advantage to a certain extent.

The objective of the proposed plan is to keep the Clan defenders off balance. We cannot allow them to fortify or consolidate. If even one Company remains static for a strategic turn, we lose the initiative in that area. Even if we can't take Apache Junction or Sonora this turn, we can bloody or harass the defenders and force them to commit to those targets. Yan can join in later to finish the job. In the meantime, taking Mt. Gila's power station just as Niu and Ma hit their targets sows confusion and disarray among the enemy, giving Niu and Ma a much needed advantage.

A) Critical Repairs available (choose 3):
1) Atlas’s Gyro
2) Phoenix Hawk’s Engine
9) Repair the Flashman by using the Battlemaster’s cockpit (+2 piloting penalty)

Our heaviest asset should not be vulnerable to a single hit to the gyro. The Atlas' repair is relatively simple and will allow it to run easily, which we'll need in the broken terrain of Mt. Gila. We will also require the Phoenix Hawk's mobility, and letting it run hot in that environment will neuter it as a threat. See it's tremendous performance last mission. The Battlemaster might be useful, but repairing it piecemeal gives us one mech back, as opposed to three, so we use its cockpit to repair the Flashman. The Flashman is a lot of heavy firepower returned to our group, so we need it. The Archer is short an LRM-20. This means it's still useful. We don't know much about the terrain, but it may be too broken to count on good sight lines, and there's not enough LRMs in the company as a whole to make indirect fire a regular thing.

B) Warrior Reassignment:
4) Fight on with what we have now

The other Companies are doing fine, and we'll need them for some heavy lifting as well. We have enough repairs and salvage to stay combat-capable.

C) Salvage Options:
1) Assign the Banshee IIC to Urjasz Sobczak
The Crockett is a solid piece of work that can get up close and do the dirty work. And needs to. Ho He is uninjured, so she can afford to mix it up a bit. Urjasz is injured, but earned a spot back on the line by fighting hard with the Battlemaster. With the Banshee's added range and armour, he can afford to hang back a little and hopefully recover from his injuries for the next fight. We'll win more of our objectives, and take more salvage, if we use everything at our disposal.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KnoxZone posted:

An Archer isn't a 'perfectly good machine.' It is.... an Archer. The textbook definition of mediocrity. Forcing some poor Goon pilot into using it is cruel.

Just ptn we don't have to load any ammo in the wounded torso do we?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Campaign Options:

A) Critical Repairs available (choose 3):
1) Atlas’s Gyro
7) Archer’s LRM-20
9) Repair the Flashman by using the Battlemaster’s cockpit (+2 piloting penalty)

B) Warrior Reassignment:
4) Fight on with what we have now

C) Salvage Options:
4) Assign the Banshee IIC to Ho He and reassign her Crockett to (1, 2, or 3)

I think this is best way to maximize the firepower available. The Commandos took some lumps, and I don't think shelving the Banshee IIC is a luxury they can afford just yet.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

KnoxZone posted:

Funny, I opened up my dictionary to 'mediocrity' and there's just a picture of a Shadow Hawk. lovely Davion picture dictionary for illiterates, I guess.:shrug:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mary Annette posted:

Funny, I opened up my dictionary to 'mediocrity' and there's just a picture of a Shadow Hawk. lovely Davion picture dictionary for illiterates, I guess.:shrug:

Calling a Shadow Hawk mediocre might be a compliment. That mech has issues. (although like most mechs, it has a couple variants that are pretty baller)

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

Judicator65 posted:

I don't believe Elemental carriage was mentioned at all in the original TR3050 (1990). Maybe in the revised one they came out with in 1996 (without the Unseen). For the record, RoW didn't come out until 1994. My books are still at my parents' in Illinois, but when I go to Gencon and visit my family afterwards, I'll see if I can look it up. Of course, that is a month away...

The sarna link for Battletech products tells you how things have... evolved over the years (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_products).

So, found my 1990 copy of TR3050. No mention of the Dasher being designed to carry infantry (of any sort) at all, which, in retrospect, makes perfect sense; the original TR3050 was written up as a Comstar document from 3052, well before there was any idea of any Clan history (at least from Comstar's point of view). Heck, there aren't even the Clan names for 'mechs in the original TR3050. The first paragraph in "Capabilities:" lists the lines I remember, though:

"Another popular tactic is for the Dasher to race to the enemy's rear, cutting down opposing 'Mechs before they can respond. This has worked out badly on occasion, due primarily to the Rasalhagian practice of forming lances into a column. On several occasions, a Dasher has sped around a light 'Mech, only to be cut down by a medium 'Mech following several hundred meters behind."

There are rules for "Mechanized" Battlearmor in the back, though, so the rules for Battlearmor being carried by 'Mechs (and acting as ablative armor) were introduced in TR3050.

So, in summary, no mention of Dashers specifically being used to carry Elementals, just a general note that Elementals are trained to work with (all) Omnimechs. Oh, and the fact that Dashers are uncommon in most Clans, but seen most frequently with the Ghost Bears. Also mildly worth mentioning; the original TR3050 Dasher uses fractional accounting, so the original B config came with a single machine gun and a full ton of armor... I think I like the new version better, even with Clan CASE. :)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Q_res posted:

I think this is best way to maximize the firepower available. The Commandos took some lumps, and I don't think shelving the Banshee IIC is a luxury they can afford just yet.

Well remember it's only a CERPPC and a UAC/10 plus a CERSL.

The headcapper is nice but it isn't some kind of monstrosity that will eat Clanners and poo poo victory. Also, UACs jam.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MJ12 posted:

Well remember it's only a CERPPC and a UAC/10 plus a CERSL.

The headcapper is nice but it isn't some kind of monstrosity that will eat Clanners and poo poo victory. Also, UACs jam.

The Horses haven't witnessed the power of the Banshee-S, otherwise that thing WOULD eat Clanners and poo poo victory. It would make your Atlas look like a baby's toy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

MJ12 posted:

I never claimed it was, but they're already down Mechs from the very first scenario, I expect it to get harder from here on out. One mission in seems a little premature to go "Just set aside that perfectly good Mech, we won't need it", it's less about how good I think that Mech is and more about how badly I think they need it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I think the chancellor can make do with the trinary of pristine clan aerospace fighters you're going to be sending back to him.

Also I would assume using the beemer's cockpit on the flashman would preclude having it be fully repaired offscreen.

Using the Jenner's cockpit would penalize you to the point where you're still about as well off as a regular pilot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q_res posted:

I never claimed it was, but they're already down Mechs from the very first scenario, I expect it to get harder from here on out. One mission in seems a little premature to go "Just set aside that perfectly good Mech, we won't need it", it's less about how good I think that Mech is and more about how badly I think they need it.

We might want to make sure the Death Commando techs give it a once over to make sure nobody has "disabled" the CASE on the UAC ammo. Wouldn't want to lose anymore Clan machines or cERPPCs to bullshit.

I also think you're somewhat undervaluing the benefit in the long run of having a pristine Clan Assault to study, and a Banshee IIC is probably more valuable as a research piece than an actual weapon of war given how generally crappy its loadout is. In essence, shelving this one for further study gives you a chance to make use of any good Clan machines we may get ahold of in the future, because we've got one in the bank.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

95 tons
4/6/0
18 tons of armor
1 ER PPC
1 Ultra AC/10
1 ER Small Laser

Alright thanks to what ptn has given I'll give you a run down on this bad boy

a 380 Standard engine makes this a 95 ton zombie, charge someone and you can drive a hole through them. 18 tons of standard armor gives it maximum efficent armoring.

It will have 11 double heatsinks sunk into the engine, the erppc, the ultra and 2 tons of ammo and the er-small laser. This mech can run and alpha every turn for 10 turns at full ultra or 20 turns using single shots.

30(40 ultra) damage a turn for 20(10) turns, it can inflict a lot of pain as that thresher showed us last game.

Since it is all standard tech save the guns i'd just say use the thing. (heatsinks don't even matter because the engine takes them all in without a crit used up)

This has led me to remembering that in general IIC mechs are the IS with clan weapons instead of sphere weapons, and DHS.

probable
Crit Slots: Ultra AC-10 in the left torso, erppc in the right tors, ersmall in the head, arms are completely free for punching and on a 95 ton mech should be used for that, (and ablative armor)

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 21, 2012

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The Horses haven't witnessed the power of the Banshee-S, otherwise that thing WOULD eat Clanners and poo poo victory. It would make your Atlas look like a baby's toy.

I'm assuming a loadout of 2 ER PPCs, a LB-20X, 4 ERMLs, a SSRM-6 (or possibly 2 SRM-6s), and 2 ERSLs, plus a gigantic load of armor and DHS. This is assuming they didn't put in Endo or Ferro or an XL engine, god forbid.

Yeah, that thing would eat Clanners and poo poo victory.

EDIT: I used SSW to try to confirm something I suspected. If you were going for broke (some IICs do, strangely enough), you could use an XL and Endo to get all that on a 4/6 chassis, which would eat Clanners and poo poo victory at the speed of most IS heavies.

Q_res posted:

Well fair enough, just remember that it's a pretty lightly armed machine. Decent enough in a pinch, though, although if you're using it to replace something I'd put it in the heavy lance instead of the assault lance since at 4/6 and its weapons load you'd best treat it as an IS heavy which happens to have 60% more armor and doesn't ever overheat than an assault mech.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 21, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I can't wait till we find out it actually has an XL engine, endo and ferro-fibrous and the extra space was just filled with awesome clan candy. Twice the flavor with half cavities, you know.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

TildeATH posted:

I can't wait till we find out it actually has an XL engine, endo and ferro-fibrous and the extra space was just filled with awesome clan candy. Twice the flavor with half cavities, you know.

Some brilliant Clanner decided that the Banshee IIC needed to have 25 tons of ammo. Never stop shooting in Ultra mode.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Some brilliant Clanner decided that the Banshee IIC needed to have 25 tons of ammo. Never stop shooting in Ultra mode.

A literal walking ammunition depot.

Edit: Wow, an excessive ammo penalty of -362 (with 22 tons of UAC/10 ammo).

landcollector fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 21, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Alright thanks to what ptn has given I'll give you a run down on this bad boy

And a very accurate run-down it is. Since it doesn't use much in the way of Clantech, the Banshee IIC is also very cheap costing barely a million C-Bills more than the Atlas.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I think the chancellor can make do with the trinary of pristine clan aerospace fighters you're going to be sending back to him.
You're upselling the accomplishments here a smidge.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I might have missed it in all the posts but has there been a benefit stated in sending back the Banshee like future access to its tech or weaponry?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

And a very accurate run-down it is. Since it doesn't use much in the way of Clantech, the Banshee IIC is also very cheap costing barely a million C-Bills more than the Atlas.

I put it up there because people were debating about sending it back to benefit from the "gobs of advanced tech" etc on the banshee so I wanted to give them a more accurate picture.

Trast posted:

I might have missed it in all the posts but has there been a benefit stated in sending back the Banshee like future access to its tech or weaponry?

Yes, but we probably have been salvaging guns from the wreckage of the enemy already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

You mean: Have I spelled out exactly what that means?

No.

Edit: Also, even though voting's not complete, it's pretty much a certainty that you guys'll wind up attacking Mt. Gila.

Hope you like lava!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 21, 2012

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Next time someone asks you what your biggest regret in life was do you want to have to tell them that someone didnt get their giant robot shoved into the lava? No, of course not. You know what you have to do, Goonlance.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hope you like lava!

Great Beer posted:

You know what you have to do, Goonlance.

Have Yan-10 and Yan-11 use their flamers to set the lava on fire?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Operation Dwarf Fortress

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Have Yan-10 and Yan-11 use their flamers to set the lava on fire?

More likely the Clan units in the area will set themselves on fire with the lava. After all, (space) ninjas can't catch kill you if you're on fire*. :effort:

*Unless they're the ones who set you on fire...

landcollector fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 21, 2012

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TildeATH posted:

Operation Dwarf Fortress

Do the Clans have Elephant dropships?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Narsham posted:

Do the Clans have Elephant dropships?

No, but the Death Commandos have volunteers and high explosives (This may or may not come into play this mission).

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

OK, I just had an epiphany.

We are pretty much locked into going up Mt. Gila. Now, I agree this is the best course of action. However, just marching up a lava covered mountain looking for a fight, while rather metal, is pretty much the epitome of some dumb Davion charge. I propose a different course of attack on Mt. Gila.

Assign the Banshee to any Mechwarrior and set up a honeypot. (Don't care which.) Have that warrior spend some special time with one of our new Clan friends learning the basics of their Comlang. Keep the Banshee set up in Hell's Horses colors, but have the techs gently caress up the exterior a bit and imitate battle damage.

The forces on Mt. Gila know that the planet is being attacked, and they probably know the spaceport is down by now. But by making sure no one escaped, they have no idea if any clan forces survived the battle yet. The Banshee will make a "fighting withdrawal" up Mt. Gila and request assistance from the clan forces against a "full lance of hostile mechs (however they would say that in Comlang.) The Banshee will draw them into the trap, and we can spring on them from a location of our design with a full scale ambush and a 95 ton assault right in their midst.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Picard Day posted:

OK, I just had an epiphany.

We are pretty much locked into going up Mt. Gila. Now, I agree this is the best course of action. However, just marching up a lava covered mountain looking for a fight, while rather metal, is pretty much the epitome of some dumb Davion charge. I propose a different course of attack on Mt. Gila.

Assign the Banshee to any Mechwarrior and set up a honeypot. (Don't care which.) Have that warrior spend some special time with one of our new Clan friends learning the basics of their Comlang. Keep the Banshee set up in Hell's Horses colors, but have the techs gently caress up the exterior a bit and imitate battle damage.

The forces on Mt. Gila know that the planet is being attacked, and they probably know the spaceport is down by now. But by making sure no one escaped, they have no idea if any clan forces survived the battle yet. The Banshee will make a "fighting withdrawal" up Mt. Gila and request assistance from the clan forces against a "full lance of hostile mechs (however they would say that in Comlang.) The Banshee will draw them into the trap, and we can spring on them from a location of our design with a full scale ambush and a 95 ton assault right in their midst.

I like the way you think. Please, please let this be possible.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

I like the way you think. Please, please let this be possible.

It was something I hadn't considered before but yes, I will allow it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think it would work best if the Banshee just started wherever it wanted, rather than trying to role-play the whole thing. That's how I recall this kind of thing happening back when I actually used to play this game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

You have to admit, it's the sort of crazy poo poo a special forces unit like the Death Commandos would pull.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's extremely dangerous though, so I'm going to give the choice to whoever winds up piloting the Banshee IIC.

VVV It's dangerous because there's a good chance the Clanners will turn around and concentrate fire immediately. There're few things that piss them off but this is one of those things that almost certainly will.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 21, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's extremely dangerous though, so I'm going to give the choice to whoever winds up piloting the Banshee IIC.
Death Commandos laugh in the face of death, for they are already dead.

There are only two potential downsides to this: Alerting the enemy to their presence and getting a bad start to the battle, and losing good salvage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Banshee seems to have less Clantech than the other mechs did, so really losing it isn't *that* much of a problem. I think this idea is awesome and totally :black101: so it must happen.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
God drat, that plan is pure Battletech. Do the Death Commando's justice and be as sneaky as all hell.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV It's dangerous because there's a good chance the Clanners will turn around and concentrate fire immediately. There're few things that piss them off but this is one of those things that almost certainly will.

Can we convince a bondsman to do it for us?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Probably not, they'd declare the plan dishonourable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

If they turn around to shoot the banshee, the rest of the company gets at least a turn of juicy backshots. Everybody wins!

Except the Banshee pilot I guess.

• Locked thread