Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I like the exhaust, the stock undertail is too bulky imo. If it were my bike I'd steer clear of a windscreen or flyscreen, throw some dirt bars on it and this mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Welp now I'm one of those guys:

2010 Crossbones. 1400 miles and pretty much all stock. No big plans for it since I love the bike as it is. I'll probably methodically replace all the chrome bits with black. It's my first Harley.

Bonus: Already have a 17 day bike trip planned for the end of this month. Curious to see how Death Valley in August feels :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Braincloud posted:

2010 Crossbones. 1400 miles and pretty much all stock. No big plans for it since I love the bike as it is. I'll probably methodically replace all the chrome bits with black. It's my first Harley.

Bonus: Already have a 17 day bike trip planned for the end of this month. Curious to see how Death Valley in August feels :/

drat, I'm not really a Harley guy and I love how that bike looks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've always thought most cruiser foot controls look weird. That one is no different.

Otherwise thought, oh my.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Braincloud posted:

The Crossbones is the only Harley that really gets me going. I really really want one. That and the V-Rod (But HD guys say it's not really a Harley anyway)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is that matte colour change paint?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I know it's a softtail and all but man that seat and that suspension and "17 day trip" just do not add up for me. Is it more compliant/comfy than it looks?

Cosmetically I wouldn't black it out any further, the only incongruous element is the luggage rack mount (which you obv need to live with if touring)

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
Good lookin' Crossbones. I absolutely love the springer forks.

Bloody Queef posted:

The Crossbones is the only Harley that really gets me going. I really really want one. That and the V-Rod (But HD guys say it's not really a Harley anyway)

V-Rod has a little Porsche in them, that and they're bad rear end as all get out. My dad has one.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

You bastard. Gorgeous bike and you have the Tachibana helmet I want but cant have because they don't make one large enough for my gargantuan cranium.

What's a Tachibana? The Google says its some jap lid and they look retro. Do they do anything else besides be Japanese and look like they were made 40 years ago?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Scotchlite Chat
Becktastic made her Zebra Stripes from black 3M Scotchlite. I didn't realize it until I took a photo after putting Zeb's (RIP) plastics on my bike.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

PadreScout posted:

What's a Tachibana? The Google says its some jap lid and they look retro. Do they do anything else besides be Japanese and look like they were made 40 years ago?

Nope, that's it. Just a cool looking retro lid with a weird face guard that I really like the look of. They make some really cool retro Bell-inspired full face lids too:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Nope, that's it. Just a cool looking retro lid with a weird face guard that I really like the look of. They make some really cool retro Bell-inspired full face lids too:

Please tell me that don't have the same Bell spinal guillotine design at the back too?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know it's a softtail and all but man that seat and that suspension and "17 day trip" just do not add up for me. Is it more compliant/comfy than it looks?

Cosmetically I wouldn't black it out any further, the only incongruous element is the luggage rack mount (which you obv need to live with if touring)

It's actually quite cushy. But we're also only planning about 300 miles a day and lots of stops. Should be a nice leisurely trip. I do have a windscreen as well that I'll put on - 70mph without one makes it hell to hang on for long periods, especially with the low dished seat and lack of backrest.

And the bags and rack are coming off as soon as I get back from the trip.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002
Traded in my Street Triple for a Ninja 1000. Recently finished the break in and installed some stuff on it. This is also the first time I've put a topcase on a bike, and now I don't know how I ever went so long without one...

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

As soon as the novelty of looking like a Big Daddy from Bioshock wears off (and unwittingly looking like a throbber throughout) I promise you'll be back to wearing a normal helmet and lamenting the foolish amount of money you've spent on your garage ornament.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

mootmoot posted:

As soon as the novelty of looking like a Big Daddy from Bioshock wears off (and unwittingly looking like a throbber throughout) I promise you'll be back to wearing a normal helmet and lamenting the foolish amount of money you've spent on your garage ornament.

I thought it'd be cool to get the white one or the red one with matching letters and look like a '50s TV spaceman.

Nevertheless there's a reason why people don't buy helmets with odd head shapes, tiny viewports and no vents anymore. And I could never figure out from Tachibana's website if they actually claim their helmets are protective (in a modern sense) or just cosmetic.

E: You can still get helmets sorta like that but they don't look appropriate for motorcycle riding at all:

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 13, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Snowdens Secret posted:

Nevertheless there's a reason why people don't buy helmets with odd head shapes, tiny viewports and no vents anymore. And I could never figure out from Tachibana's website if they actually claim their helmets are protective (in a modern sense) or just cosmetic.

I was thinking they might be cool to wear for special occasions events if have if you have a vintage 60/70s race/rep bike. Which in my perfect 5 bike garage, I would do.

I mean you could do worse, visibility wise:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

E: You can still get helmets sorta like that but they don't look appropriate for motorcycle riding at all:

Yeah Simpson aren't designed for bikes at all, IIRC they aren't even actually legal on bikes in the EU - didn't stop a shitload of people wearing the Bandit when it first came out. Made me chuckle when The Stig started wearing one 5 years after they went out of fashion.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I mean you could do worse, visibility wise:

:pwn:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Did my post-roadtrip maintenance - oil change, wash, close visual inspection/fiddling and took it for a 200 mile day ride up to Mt. Baker

Sweepers most of the way in and then a fun, slow, technical ascent:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah Simpson aren't designed for bikes at all, IIRC they aren't even actually legal on bikes in the EU - didn't stop a shitload of people wearing the Bandit when it first came out. Made me chuckle when The Stig started wearing one 5 years after they went out of fashion.

:pwn:

I guess I am confused, then http://simpsonraceproducts.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_594&products_id=10425&sort=

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 15, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Came upon this on CraigsList and couldn't help myself.

2004 Ninja 636, with 12k miles. It's been streetfightered out. What got me was the handlebar. It has a leaky coolant reservoir jug and an ugly Acerbis headlight but I decided to go for the $2,800 asking price. Boy does a 600 feel different when you're not crouched over clip-ons.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Awesome.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
That is indeed awesome, especially for that price. If I could go back in time I would have put some dirtbars or something similar on my 636.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

2004 Ninja 636, with 12k miles. It's been streetfightered out. What got me was the handlebar. It has a leaky coolant reservoir jug and an ugly Acerbis headlight but I decided to go for the $2,800 asking price. Boy does a 600 feel different when you're not crouched over clip-ons.

Has it been downgeared appropriately? Remember, it's streetfightered, so constant wheelies are now mandatory.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wonder if this is a new model then? The Bandit definitely wasn't road-legal for bikes at the height of its popularity with the streetfighter crowd (95-00 or so), and that's really noticeably different from the Bandit as it was then:

Notice how much larger the visor area is and how much smaller the padding seems on the new one. The Bandit was designed for car use.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Simpsons and a lot of old Bells are made primarily for car race scenarios (dirt track, drag) where your head is often in a HANS restraint anyway, so turning your head isn't going to happen and peripheral vision isn't really a priority. On the other hand, if poo poo goes south there are a million things in the cockpit your helmet can bang against (not slide on, but hit real hard), so structural integrity for multiple impacts is a critical design priority. So the helmets get all heavy built with tiny viewports like that, which looks pretty cool I guess but isn't practical on a streetbike. Vents and spoilers are also pointless in a closed cockpit or behind a windscreen, so a lot of the helmets have connections for forced ventilation.

Basically it may be cool to look like the Stig but a motorcycle-intended helmet is going to be far more comfy, have better visibility and probably be safer in a common bike crash. I suspect the one motorcycle Simpson is really intended for motorcycle drag racing.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

nice bike.
also

Saga posted:

Has it been downgeared appropriately? Remember, it's streetfightered, so constant wheelies are now mandatory.

wheelie jokes aside, now that its naked you don't need all that top end, +3 on the back would it a lot more fun and also make it more tractable in traffic/low speed manoeuvring

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

echomadman posted:

nice bike.
also

wheelie jokes aside, now that its naked you don't need all that top end, +3 on the back would it a lot more fun and also make it more tractable in traffic/low speed manoeuvring

I thought that too but the other day I found myself on a good pavement-deserted-straight road and just for shits I rolled on my naked FZ6 at around 8k in 4th and it pulled pretty solid thru 4th and to the top of 5th without slowing down. That's about when I started running out of road and getting nervous so I hit the brakes, but for dong riding the fairing doesn't seem to make too much of a difference at "lower" speeds. (<120 or 130?)

I'd still think about gearing just for fun factor. Mine is stock and I've thought about doing that but I always tell myself it's not worth the money.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The new 636 is bloody brilliant. It flings me at furious speeds onto the highway and deftly carves delicate paths through the city. The previous owner didn't seem knowledgable about the bike but was the 2nd owner - the 1st owner did all the mods and such. The rear sprocket looks to be stock, and I need to inspect the front, but the bike feels torquier than my old '05 636 in city traffic. It could be the handlebars.

I love handlebars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Moved the bikes out to clean the garage today and took a family photo.

Left to Right:
2005 GasGas 300 Pro - Perfect for messing around in the yard/woods/campus/anywhere
1988 Honda NX125 - Brother is using to learn to ride
2002 Suzuki SV650 track bike - '02 gsxr 750 front end, zx10r or something rear shock
1999 Suzuki SV650 daily commuter - corbin seat, m4 slip-on, 58.5k miles
2005 Honda CRF450R SM - Ridiculous bike, amazing on the track or tight mountain roads
1998 Kawasaki KDX200 - FMF woods pipe, crashed frequently but always runs great

The CRF and KDX will likely be sold in the next few months for either a nice dual sport or to fund a track car build.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

nsaP posted:

I thought that too but the other day I found myself on a good pavement-deserted-straight road and just for shits I rolled on my naked FZ6 at around 8k in 4th and it pulled pretty solid thru 4th and to the top of 5th without slowing down. That's about when I started running out of road and getting nervous so I hit the brakes, but for dong riding the fairing doesn't seem to make too much of a difference at "lower" speeds. (<120 or 130?)

I'd still think about gearing just for fun factor. Mine is stock and I've thought about doing that but I always tell myself it's not worth the money.

I also think fairings dont matter that much below about 120, but for extended periods at 120+ I wish I had them - my neck gets sore.. At 140+ I get some sort of weird aerodynamic effect where even when I am hunched down in a racer tuck the air flow over my back causes lift and I really have to pull myself down to the bike with my arms.

And I went +2 in the rear on my bike and it was a fairly subtle effect but definitely made the bike smoother in the lower ranges, and the acceleration is now a bit more mental at WOT 7k+rpm. Well worth the 50$ for the sprocket.

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

Stand back, I'm about to do Science!
I traded my Ninja 650R in for this grocery-getter earlier this year. I've considered modifications but I like the bike the way it is, even that ugly stock exhaust (I love how quiet it is).

It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I can grab a handful of throttle at low RPM in 6th and still take off like a rocket.

When someone calls it a crotch-rocket I lovingly refer to it as a cruise missile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Congrats. Like that color, especially with the black rack and rims.

Dislike the kipass.

The Leo Vince slip on is quite quiet if you do decide to dump the factory potato cannon.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2012

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

slidebite posted:

Congrats. Like that color, especially with the black rack and rims.

Dislike the kipass.

The Leo Vince slip on is quite quiet if you do decide to dump the factory potato cannon.

Did you ever have problems with the kipass, or just rejecting it out of principle? I haven't had any issues with it. Throw the fob in my back pocket and forget it's there.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Saga posted:

Popped open the front sprocket cover, and confirmed that both front/rear are stock, which surprised me. Handlebars indeed change a lot in riding experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cpt.Backfire posted:

Did you ever have problems with the kipass, or just rejecting it out of principle? I haven't had any issues with it. Throw the fob in my back pocket and forget it's there.

Principal more than anything.

Truth be told, I am getting used to it but I hate having stuff in my pants pockets so I put it in my jacket pocket and forget about it. Then I always seem to put on the wrong jacket next time I ride :saddowns:

On top of that, I have to bring my kipass AND my keychain so I can lock/unlock the house. One more thing for me to misplace and I am a forgetful SOB.

That said, I understand it is "decent" anti-theft device so there is that. I am slowly getting used to it.

Keeping the factory seat or any other changes?

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

slidebite posted:

Principal more than anything.

Truth be told, I am getting used to it but I hate having stuff in my pants pockets so I put it in my jacket pocket and forget about it. Then I always seem to put on the wrong jacket next time I ride :saddowns:

On top of that, I have to bring my kipass AND my keychain so I can lock/unlock the house. One more thing for me to misplace and I am a forgetful SOB.

That said, I understand it is "decent" anti-theft device so there is that. I am slowly getting used to it.

Keeping the factory seat or any other changes?

I really like the stock seat. I've done an 800mi ride and aside from being just generally tired my bottom was doing fine. A vast improvement over the "plush for 2 minutes" 650R seat.

The corner of the fob has a key ring loop that I cursed furiously at until it had supplicated itself before my superior will. So it can hang from the key chain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, really? <runs and looks>

Yeah, I remember looking at that but I thought it would be hopeless. Maybe I'll try again.

Glad you are OK with the seat. I thought mine was torture coming from the ST1100. Then again, maybe I'm just too fat :smith:

yay for concours buddies! :buddy:

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo, really? <runs and looks>

Yeah, I remember looking at that but I thought it would be hopeless. Maybe I'll try again.

Glad you are OK with the seat. I thought mine was torture coming from the ST1100. Then again, maybe I'm just too fat :smith:

yay for concours buddies! :buddy:

What modifications have you made to your Concours? Take it for any long rides?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I talked about a little in the ST thread but nothing major.

Ripped out the OEM seat and put in a Corbin/Smuggler combo, little more aggressive ECU flash (tuned for a slip on and better secondary performance), Leo slip on, Kaoko throttle lock and a smoked windshield.

Longest trip so far, sadly, was the inaugural ride last year almost this time. Bought it from a guy in Ft. McMurray AB and had something like 1100KMs to get it home, which was about as much mileage as was on the bike when I bought it. Have done a few decent day trips though (5-ish hours).

Doing a weekend ride in 2 weeks up to Edmonton area and then maybe heading south to Utah in mid-September for a few days. That's about it.

Recent photo

Edit: Holy poo poo that photo compressed bad.

Oh whelp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Backfire
Aug 20, 2012

slidebite posted:

I talked about a little in the ST thread but nothing major.

Ripped out the OEM seat and put in a Corbin/Smuggler combo, little more aggressive ECU flash (tuned for a slip on and better secondary performance), Leo slip on, Kaoko throttle lock and a smoked windshield.

Longest trip so far, sadly, was the inaugural ride last year almost this time. Bought it from a guy in Ft. McMurray AB and had something like 1100KMs to get it home, which was about as much mileage as was on the bike when I bought it. Have done a few decent day trips though (5-ish hours).

Doing a weekend ride in 2 weeks up to Edmonton area and then maybe heading south to Utah in mid-September for a few days. That's about it.

Recent photo

Edit: Holy poo poo that photo compressed bad.

Oh whelp

Man I was really wanting to get my hands on that color Neptune Blue, right? They only had the non-ABS version and I didn't want that one.

I bought mine new around Sept/November last year so it's almost a year old and I've put about 4000 miles on it. I drive it to work every day.

You gotta love those guys that put less than a grand on a bike and put it up for sale. =)