Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

neckbeard posted:

I'm going to Iceland in 2 weeks and was wondering if Hakarl is really as bad as Ramsay and Bourdain have made it out to be?

trip report: Hakarl is bad, but not "why did I put this in my mouth? I wish I was dead" bad. Texture was like an overcooked scallop, and the taste... pungent and overpowering are really all I can say to describe it. I'm glad the portions are very small; served with a toothpick. Had the pieces been bigger, and required a fork, I could see myself having problems getting it down. The longer I kept the pieces in my mouth, the more vile it tasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

neckbeard posted:

trip report: Hakarl is bad, but not "why did I put this in my mouth? I wish I was dead" bad. Texture was like an overcooked scallop, and the taste... pungent and overpowering are really all I can say to describe it. I'm glad the portions are very small; served with a toothpick. Had the pieces been bigger, and required a fork, I could see myself having problems getting it down. The longer I kept the pieces in my mouth, the more vile it tasted.

Isn't Hakari some kind fo rotten fish? Why did you eat rotten fish? Why did you do that? Why?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Very Strange Things posted:

Isn't Hakari some kind fo rotten fish? Why did you eat rotten fish? Why did you do that? Why?

Cause you gotta live life and experience things
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=200#post406206241

neckbeard gets an unironic :thumbsup:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Very Strange Things posted:

The term "rotten" makes it sound rancid, but it's it's cured/fermented. I had it as a reward for finishing the Reykjavik Marathon in under 3 1/2 hours.

If anyone ever goes to Iceland, go for the Icelandic lamb soup wherever you can; it's pretty basic, but the lamb they have there is so delicious.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have a question about cooking with alcohol/infusing an alcohols flavor into a sauce.

Im in the process of taking a culinary adventure into the dangerous world of making Hot sauce. I had the idea of trying to make a Whiskey flavor hot sauce but Im not 100% how to do this. Should I just add whiskey near the end of cooking? Would I be better off trying to let the peppers soak in whiskey for some period of time and then cook with the peppers? Am I missing something pretty huge and obvious here?

I dont reeeaallly have much culinary experience, but I do have food manufacturing experience. I work with chocolate, and I've always seen flavoring added at the end of cooking due to it's volatility. Didnt know if the same applied here? I cant imagine that alcohol is cooked away completely, but I dont want to lose the flavor either.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I've realized that what I think I miss about the thai food that I used to get is that the onions/bell pepper were often sliced super thin and seemingly barely cooked.

Am I crazy? I have been searching for a recipe that uses a technique like this and can't find any. I am thinking of making the curry/tofu per normal and then very quickly cooking thinly sliced onion/pepper, but I am very uncertain that this will actually work out.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Why wouldn't that work out? Onions and peppers can be eaten raw so, if sliced thinly and added at the end, they will taste fine. If you are looking for thinly sliced, barely cooked vegetables, it seems like you already know how to do it.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I was going through the pantry and found bugs in the flour. We've got several different kinds/bags in various places and I threw out all the ones that had bugs that I could see. Should I throw out all of the rest of it too, even if I don't see anything in them?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does halva ever go bad?

I was given a 1 pound block of it about 2 months ago and I was only able to eat about a quarter of it since then. The rest has remained in a ziplock bag on my kitchen counter since. Its just plain sesame halva with no nuts or fruits.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I made spaghetti with meat sauce tonight, and it came out tasting incredibly salty even though I didn't put any salt in it. How could that happen?

The only thing different this time from the bazillions of other times I've made this is that this time I got the meat from Walmart instead of a real grocery store. It looked like it'd been dyed, it was still bright pink throughout even after sitting in my fridge for a couple days. Could this be it?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jenkin posted:

I was going through the pantry and found bugs in the flour. We've got several different kinds/bags in various places and I threw out all the ones that had bugs that I could see. Should I throw out all of the rest of it too, even if I don't see anything in them?

Define "bugs". I would say if they're buried in the flour, there's a chance you missed them when you went through your other bags. If they just really love flour and aren't anywhere else, it's best to be on the safe side and pitch them. But if they're out in the wild of your house/apartment, then it's probably time for more drastic measures. But that's coming from someone who's lived with bugs (roaches) so it might be a bit extreme.

I'd buy a box of gallon Ziploc bags, since those can accommodate 5lb bags of flour (that are slightly empty) and just put the flour in the bags. I don't bother with emptying the flour into the gallon bags, I just keep it in its previous bag, that way I know what it is. That should keep bugs out.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Why wouldn't that work out? Onions and peppers can be eaten raw so, if sliced thinly and added at the end, they will taste fine. If you are looking for thinly sliced, barely cooked vegetables, it seems like you already know how to do it.

I tried it, kind of flash cooking the onion in a wok for under a minute before I cooked everything else. I guess I waited too long, or cut things way to thin, as they just tasted like regular onions in the finished dish. Maybe they just put raw onion in and I was never smart enough to notice.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I tried it, kind of flash cooking the onion in a wok for under a minute before I cooked everything else. I guess I waited too long, or cut things way to thin, as they just tasted like regular onions in the finished dish. Maybe they just put raw onion in and I was never smart enough to notice.

I don't know if this helps at all, but they might be dipping the veggies into a deep fryer for a few seconds if they were actually cooked. I used to work at a restaurant that did that for egg foo yung toppings. Once the EFY's were done, we'd deep fry onion and carrot slices for <10 seconds and throw them on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I made spaghetti with meat sauce tonight, and it came out tasting incredibly salty even though I didn't put any salt in it. How could that happen?

The only thing different this time from the bazillions of other times I've made this is that this time I got the meat from Walmart instead of a real grocery store. It looked like it'd been dyed, it was still bright pink throughout even after sitting in my fridge for a couple days. Could this be it?
Probably.

Was the meat in an airtight container?

Look on the label. Does it say "treated with a solution to maintain texture/moisture"...?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Cook the onions/peppers for a few seconds, and then /remove them from the heat/, and use them as a garnish/last minute stir-in with your curry. The difference will be amazing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

dino. posted:

Cook the onions/peppers for a few seconds, and then /remove them from the heat/, and use them as a garnish/last minute stir-in with your curry. The difference will be amazing.

Sorry for my lame desciption, but that is what I did.

Mach420 posted:

I don't know if this helps at all, but they might be dipping the veggies into a deep fryer for a few seconds if they were actually cooked. I used to work at a restaurant that did that for egg foo yung toppings. Once the EFY's were done, we'd deep fry onion and carrot slices for <10 seconds and throw them on.

That sounds like it might be what I had experienced, too bad it is beyond my ability to replicate.

We tried to make cannoli shells by "deep frying" in the wok and the stove never got the oil above 300 F, and the recipe was calling for 375.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

neckbeard posted:

The term "rotten" makes it sound rancid, but it's it's cured/fermented. I had it as a reward for finishing the Reykjavik Marathon in under 3 1/2 hours.

You're freakin' awesome but that is hilarious. I know that when I've run a shitload, really freakin' fast, and am exhausted and feeling like I am about to puke, I definitely want someone sticking some fermented shark meat in my face. Mmmm.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

SERPUS posted:

Does halva ever go bad?

I was given a 1 pound block of it about 2 months ago and I was only able to eat about a quarter of it since then. The rest has remained in a ziplock bag on my kitchen counter since. Its just plain sesame halva with no nuts or fruits.

It'll keep for a long, long time, best in a tin. You know it's bad when it gets a slimy film on the surface.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

How can I make cooking more enjoyable/less like a chore? Part of the problem is that, living in Hawaii with no A/C, our kitchen quickly becomes a sauna with the oven on. My wife and I usually just stick a frozen meal in the oven or on the stove and microwave a bag of vegetables. The other part is that while both of us can follow a recipe, neither of us find any enjoyment in it (besides eating once we're done, of course).

Anyone?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Well, don't turn the oven on, or if you do roast/bake things, make sure you're done with all your other kitchen duties before you turn it on.

I get joy from cooking because it's almost like a meditative state. I am also a dork and get fiercely proud of accomplishing the dumbest poo poo (like the other day I totally bragged to foodchat that I made tartar sauce, i.e. I chopped up pickles and capers and mixed them with lemon juice and mayo, woop de freakin' doo). I don't know how to make you enjoy that though.

What is your favorite restaurant food? Lots of restaurant food is made on the stove and if it uses the oven, it is only for convenience/speed. You could see if recreating your favorite fancy food helps you enjoy the process of cooking.

Also make sure your knives are sharp because I don't think anyone enjoys cooking when prepping with dull knives.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

hooah posted:

Anyone?

On the hottest days in my house as a kid, my mom would just make something in the slow cooker and put it outside (picnic table, etc). Somewhere in the shade. She'd be home all day, so she wouldn't have to worry about critters. Maybe try something like that?

Cook up a batch of meat one day and suffer with the sauna, then use it throughout the week in various dishes. Possibly hearty salads?

Cold soups might work, though there's often some cooking involved. You can make a batch ahead of time and have them in the fridge over the week.

I don't know any way to get enjoyment from cooking other than just feeling pride in making something delicious (and/or nutritious).

E: Also what Hawkgirl said. Also also I live in Canada so I only have to deal with heat for 3~4 weeks out of the year. :v:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
If I was planning to make a pizza with like two crust layers with a layer of cheese in between, how would I go about cooking it/the toppings on the second crust without burning the poo poo out of the bottom crust-layer?

(Like a stuffed crust pizza but not just along the outside)

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
So let's say I wanted to make a sweet garlic custard for dessert. The basic idea I have is to incorporate some roasted garlic into a vanilla custard recipe and top it with candied slices of garlic and thyme leaves (after it comes out of the oven).

Does this sound at all appealing? Keep in mind it's 3:30am where I am, so I'm not sure if this might possibly be an OK thing or if it's just really late and I'm getting kinda dumb.

Any ideas?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Skavoovee posted:

So let's say I wanted to make a sweet garlic custard for dessert. The basic idea I have is to incorporate some roasted garlic into a vanilla custard recipe and top it with candied slices of garlic and thyme leaves (after it comes out of the oven).

Does this sound at all appealing? Keep in mind it's 3:30am where I am, so I'm not sure if this might possibly be an OK thing or if it's just really late and I'm getting kinda dumb.

Any ideas?

I've had garlic in desserts. It's alright, but generally oppressive. Worth a shot, but do it with a light touch.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I'm desperately looking for a source of dried chilis that ships to Iceland. We may have hákarl and amazing lamb, but the chili selection is absolutely abysmal. Anyone know a European chili store that ships all over the place?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.scorchio.co.uk/ might be worth a look. They ship everywhere in Europe and so long as you're buying them dried the weight should be low so the postage costs aren't too high

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

Get the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It does slow cooking, has a rice cooking mode, and works as a pressure cooker. Problem solved. :)

I've been looking for this and it seems to be a pretty exclusively US thing. Can anyone from the UK recommend a similar product?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I'm making chicken satay for dinner tomorrow. What's a good hot veggie side dish to go with it? By hot I mean temperature, not spicyness.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

Anyone?

Think of your favorite food from childhood that someone made for you with love and care. Ask them for the recipe if you can, or look up a basic approximation online or in a cook book.

If you had a lovely childhood (cooking wise) and no one prepared a meal with love for you (or you just can't remember one), think of your favorite meal in a restaurant. Something that you had a truly enjoyable experience with. Maybe the meal you enjoyed with your wife on an early date or some other positive memory. Try to recreate that meal. Hell, try cooking together. Get messy. Enjoy yourself.

If both those fail or are too touchy-feely, then start off by making a desert from scratch. My favorite things to make without question are sweets (cookies, cakes, brownies, bars, pies, candies), and they taste so much better than anything store bought. Granted, they do require an oven and heat and effort, but with a lot of baked goods you can pop the tray in the oven and not have to babysit it for about half an hour. Get out of the kitchen during that time to cool off and relax.

I would recommend not doing the following:
  • Don't beat yourself up if something you make doesn't turn out perfect. Unless you are a professional and charging for your food, perfection is not your concern. And if it is completely inedible, learn from that mistake. Go enjoy a pizza tonight and try again later
  • Don't be in a hurry to clean up the mess. Certainly don't let dirty dishes sit for a week, but don't keep yourself in a hot stuffy kitchen if you are just waiting on stuff to finish cooking with no input from you. Breathe a little.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

An observer posted:

I'm making chicken satay for dinner tomorrow. What's a good hot veggie side dish to go with it? By hot I mean temperature, not spicyness.

I like to do a quick Asian-style pickle of carrots and daikon, and then fry it up really quickly in a very hot wok so it's still mostly crunchy.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Eeyo posted:

Define "bugs". I would say if they're buried in the flour, there's a chance you missed them when you went through your other bags. If they just really love flour and aren't anywhere else, it's best to be on the safe side and pitch them. But if they're out in the wild of your house/apartment, then it's probably time for more drastic measures. But that's coming from someone who's lived with bugs (roaches) so it might be a bit extreme.

They are flour bugs, so it looks like I should pitch/freeze all the grains. Could be much worse.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've been looking for this and it seems to be a pretty exclusively US thing. Can anyone from the UK recommend a similar product?

This is the closest I've found: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooker-Electric-pressure-cooker-feature/dp/B008RW5W3S/

THAT BEING SAID! I've ordered DVDs and the like from Amazon UK plenty of times, and as long as it qualifies for free shipping within the UK, it doesn't seem to jack up the shipping to the USA. For example, I managed to snag the complete Series 1 and 2 of Sherlock from Amazon UK for £20 including shipping, taxes, etc. Maybe the same will be true on the other direction?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

hooah posted:

Anyone?
When my mum was living in Connecticut with my sister, in the summer, while sister was pregnant and they had no a/c, she had to cook for herself, my sister, sister's husband, and her own husband, and then the random people who'd come over frequently. My mum would cook only before 7:00 AM, so as to avoid the hottest part of the day, and have the bulk of the cooking done by then. The kitchen was cleaned up and packed away by 8:00 AM at the absolute latest. Then, throughout the day, they would reheat whatever they wanted in the microwave and go from there. There was a lot of cold salads, cold soup, and other things that could be eaten cold. The stove did not get turned on until late at night, when it was cool enough out to open up all the windows and doors, to catch those night breezes, or the next day. Mind, there were emergencies, but that's a given in any case.

What helped my sister get into cooking was getting her friends to come over. She'd watch me entertain my own friends when we all lived together in Florida, and I'd make up elaborate meals, which everyone would enjoy thoroughly. Once she moved out on her own, she saw the charm of having people over who could enjoy her cooking. She'd find things that she knew how to make really well, and make them. She wouldn't try anything she hadn't tested out on (more tolerant) husband or father first. But she'd do old favourites that she could knock up in her sleep. She'd also give herself an extra two hours longer than she thought she needed, because poo poo happens, and you want enough time to call out for pizza if everything goes to hell.

Over time, she's begun to enjoy being in the kitchen, even if she doesn't spend quite as much time there as I or my mum do. In fact, she actively enjoys making things for her friends, and watching them eat it. Doing so for herself or her husband is OK, but to her, it feels like work. Doing so for friends is more (for her) like something she can do to relax and enjoy herself.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

dino. posted:

What helped my sister get into cooking was getting her friends to come over. She'd watch me entertain my own friends when we all lived together in Florida, and I'd make up elaborate meals, which everyone would enjoy thoroughly. Once she moved out on her own, she saw the charm of having people over who could enjoy her cooking. She'd find things that she knew how to make really well, and make them. She wouldn't try anything she hadn't tested out on (more tolerant) husband or father first. But she'd do old favourites that she could knock up in her sleep. She'd also give herself an extra two hours longer than she thought she needed, because poo poo happens, and you want enough time to call out for pizza if everything goes to hell.

I think this is a big one. I never got really big into cooking until I started cooking for friends, sharing pictures of things I had made, and so forth. It's really a pleasure to have people tell you how awesome the thing you made looks/smells/tastes, and that kind of positive feedback will give you the incentive to keep going and keep trying new things. If most of your friends don't particularly cook either, there's a good chance that they'll be stoked to eat whatever you make just because it's a home-cooked meal and not takeout again. As with all difficult things, over time it will become easier, and things that once seemed like chores will become a pleasure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Where's a good place to start learning to cook Japanese food? I've seen a billion pages of advice on sushi but not much for everything else.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Grand Fromage posted:

Where's a good place to start learning to cook Japanese food? I've seen a billion pages of advice on sushi but not much for everything else.

COOKING WITH DOG
GO YOUTUBE

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I also like Just Bento / Just Hungry. But mostly Cooking With Dog

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
What are some things that can be done with miso? Or even more broadly, what is miso typically used for period?

I have a big rear end tub of white miso because it was the only size I could find at any store here. I need just a bit for some simple miso butter for a random recipe I was trying and would hate for all the rest to go to waste.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you can read Japanese, cookpad is a great resource.

You can use miso for all kinds of soups and also for sauces. There are some really nice miso glazes for grilled/baked fish, for example. Also, recently, I had some delicious gyoza with miso-pork stuffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You can also of course make soup, I'm sure you already thought of that though. I also have a big thing of miso sitting in my fridge. I mainly use it for miso-glazed fish. I feel like someday I will make that miso salad dressing that all Japanese places serve on their salads.

I googled it because I have a LOT of miso and at least according to the internet you're good for at least a year.