Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The big secret collaboration that the Persona team was involved in turned out to be Persona junk in Lord of Vermillion Re:2. Lord of Vermillion is a card-based arcade game from Square-Enix, and it's about as interesting as that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I realize that they have to cater to their main audience in Japan, but it's still such a shame when an anticipated announcement ends in "...for Lord of Vermillion".

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

TurnipFritter posted:

The big secret collaboration that the Persona team was involved in turned out to be Persona junk in Lord of Vermillion Re:2. Lord of Vermillion is a card-based arcade game from Square-Enix, and it's about as interesting as that sounds.

And the crowd goes mild. :geno:

And reading up on it the announcement seems to try too hard to hype it.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 20, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is that a collectable card game where the magic resource is photoshop effects?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

That is probably the least exciting thing in the universe. Besides, the game already has Caim, it doesn't NEED any more characters. :colbert:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Technique posted:

Besides, the game already has Caim, it doesn't NEED any more characters. :colbert:

Well, that should not be a problem five minutes after he gets his killing on. Now they just need to add Kaine as well.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 20, 2012

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Iceclaw posted:

Well, that should not be a problem five minute after he gets his killing on. Now they just need to add Kaine as well.
She's in it too.

Edit: http://andriasang.com/comzgn/lov_nier_brs_tieup/

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd recommend DDS in all honesty, the mantra system is great, really fun gameplay, it's like the only MegaTen game where team attacks aren't ridiculously overpowered, is borrows the turn press system from Nocturne, has quite a good amount of side boss battles that are tough And one of the toughest bosses in JRPGs, and has a pretty great story. That's not to say it's without its flaws: you will be grinding for points to power up your mantras to get new abilities, you can never really get rid of your characters' weaknesses, there's the same bit of fake difficulty you will find in any other MegaTen game, and the dungeon design in the first game is bad, half of the dungeons are decent, but for every good dungeon you get a sewer dungeon, then comes the end game which has one of the worst dungeons ever to darken the corner of JRPGs. DDS2 is a lot better about navigation, but it still has a pretty dumb final dungeon.

Thanks for this post. I recently started DDS and I wasn't really into it at first but I'm getting the hang of it a little better by now. The encounter rate is so high in the game though which makes exploring really tedious. I just recently got Gale in my party and the Before I Play thing said to stick with him and Argilla (I really hate Gale every time he opens his dumb Spock mouth though so I'm thinking of swapping him out, I dunno).

One thing I noticed is that Hama and Mudo spells seem to work a lot. Mudo a bit less so since it's instant death, but Hama and Mahama cut enemy health in half and hits so god drat much. Hama is arguably the better spell too, since Mudo is an instant kill while Hama leaves them weakened and easier to consume (not only because you cut half of their health off each time, but now you automatically know exactly how much health they have left).

My biggest complaint though is how it just seems to drag on and on without anything actually happening. This is probably the fault of the high encounter rate though. Also I loved Nocturne's demon recruitment and demon fusion (especially when I figured out that I don't have to pump macca / items into demons during full kagutsuchi) and I kind of miss that here.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Digital Devil Saga was the first SMT game I ever played.

Man, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Plus it was the first jRPG I played that really bucked the trend of stuff like perky protagonists and a typical pseudo-fantasy world. It was just so drat alien. I don't even remember how I got it; might have just been a $15 impulse buy or having someone randomly recommend it to me.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Digital Devil Saga was the first SMT game I ever played.

Man, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Plus it was the first jRPG I played that really bucked the trend of stuff like perky protagonists and a typical pseudo-fantasy world. It was just so drat alien. I don't even remember how I got it; might have just been a $15 impulse buy or having someone randomly recommend it to me.
I got into it because I was in college and was told that it was EDGY and CONTROVERSIAL. It wasn't even necessarily that, but just getting through that goddamn game made me feel like a superhero, after having my hand held through basically all other JRPGs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DDS2 was actually my first SMT game and I got when I was about 14 because I watched X-Play and they hyped the gently caress out of the DDS series as great JRPGs even though they had no idea what the hell was going on. I actually understood what was going on well enough in DDS2, but that's probably because being 14 years old I felt like I understood all sorts of bizarre crap.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sex_Ferguson posted:

DDS2 was actually my first SMT game and I got when I was about 14 because I watched X-Play and they hyped the gently caress out of the DDS series as great JRPGs even though they had no idea what the hell was going on. I actually understood what was going on well enough in DDS2, but that's probably because being 14 years old I felt like I understood all sorts of bizarre crap.

Ah, you know what, it was probably X-Play that got me to play DDS1, now that I think about it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I replayed the first game a while back and pumped Serph with only magic which made the game pretty drat trivial. I was hitting triple digits with agi of all things and just destroying everything.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Spiffo posted:

Thanks for this post. I recently started DDS and I wasn't really into it at first but I'm getting the hang of it a little better by now. The encounter rate is so high in the game though which makes exploring really tedious. I just recently got Gale in my party and the Before I Play thing said to stick with him and Argilla (I really hate Gale every time he opens his dumb Spock mouth though so I'm thinking of swapping him out, I dunno).

One thing I noticed is that Hama and Mudo spells seem to work a lot. Mudo a bit less so since it's instant death, but Hama and Mahama cut enemy health in half and hits so god drat much. Hama is arguably the better spell too, since Mudo is an instant kill while Hama leaves them weakened and easier to consume (not only because you cut half of their health off each time, but now you automatically know exactly how much health they have left).

My biggest complaint though is how it just seems to drag on and on without anything actually happening. This is probably the fault of the high encounter rate though. Also I loved Nocturne's demon recruitment and demon fusion (especially when I figured out that I don't have to pump macca / items into demons during full kagutsuchi) and I kind of miss that here.

DDS1 is pretty slow. Does anyone remember if it has Estoma in it? (Oh wait, it's like... an item or something, isn't it?)

DDS2 is better in that regard. You know poo poo's going down and it makes you want to keep playing to see what happens.

In other news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Y_P3yqSzE
Ten minute preview of Soul Hackers 3DS. Yep, it's still an ugly game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Persona 3 ending gets me every time. :smith:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Dr Pepper posted:

The Persona 3 ending gets me every time. :smith:

How so? The main character is just really tired after saving the world, as would anyone else.

The Answer? What's that? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Ten minute preview of Soul Hackers 3DS. Yep, it's still an ugly game.

I kinda dig the old school 3D look, so it hasn't aged too badly imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheLoser posted:

The Answer? What's that? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yo man, The Answer was cool, don't hate. Great music, cool final boss, Yukari and Junpei were awesome as hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yo man, The Answer was cool, don't hate.

Awful repetition, supergrind, stupidest story beats in the Persona series, and a fighting tournament. Nope. Nope nope nope.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Awful repetition, supergrind, stupidest story beats in the Persona series, and a fighting tournament. Nope. Nope nope nope.

Okay the grinding was dumb, but the story really wasn't that bad. Although yeah, the fighting tournament thing was really silly.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Besides, Elizabeth referenced it in P4A and are you going to call the best character in the Megami Tensei franchise a liar? :colbert:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The Answer had really good music, which more than makes up for the dumb parts.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

P4A: It feels like this game is made for me, I love Persona and I love Arc Sys fighters. If you're looking for an SMT RPG I think you won't like it though? I haven't played Story Mode yet but a lot of the mechanics are Guilty Gear stuff with Persona names slapped on and from what I understand Story mode is basically a Visual Novel which I don't feel like playing yet.

Kirtan posted:

I got into it because I was in college and was told that it was EDGY and CONTROVERSIAL. It wasn't even necessarily that, but just getting through that goddamn game made me feel like a superhero, after having my hand held through basically all other JRPGs.

I was scared to play SMT games when I first heard about them because they had names like DEVIL SUMMONER and you could summon Satan and the boxes had weird runes on them and what if my parents see this!!

Then I played Persona 3 and it's basically a giant anime

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The GIG posted:

are you going to call the best character in the Megami Tensei franchise a liar? :colbert:

What, of course Baofu's a liar. :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Technique posted:

The Answer had really good music, which more than makes up for the dumb parts.

The Answer was the thing that singlehandedly put me off buying P4 because it burned me so bad (and I still stand by that decision) sooooo... I think I'm just gonna disagree and stop arguing because I'm basically unconvincable on this point.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The Answer was the thing that singlehandedly put me off buying P4 because it burned me so bad (and I still stand by that decision) sooooo...

You're denying yourself a great game because you didn't like part of the previous one. How reasonable!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The Answer was the thing that singlehandedly put me off buying P4 because it burned me so bad (and I still stand by that decision) sooooo... I think I'm just gonna disagree and stop arguing because I'm basically unconvincable on this point.

You aren't really missing out on anything. Even The Answer did more things right than P4 did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Technique posted:

You aren't really missing out on anything. Even The Answer did more things right than P4 did.

You have the most peculiar of tastes when it comes to SMT.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Technique posted:

There should be a disclaimer next to all your posts that you liked P1 better than P4 because that's not normal

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There should be a disclaimer next to all your posts that you liked P1 better than P4 because that's not normal

I dunno I think right now Technique's sounding like my new best bro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I dunno I think right now Technique's sounding like my new best bro.

He said the same with regards to both Persona 2s (i.e., P1>P2).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I trust him to back that opinion up with something, it's cool.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yo man, The Answer was cool, don't hate. Great music, cool final boss, Yukari and Junpei were awesome as hell.

Yukari was never awesome and I will stand by that opinion despite never playing The Answer. :colbert: (I do have FES, but I haven't gotten around to playing it since P3P is just too good.)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

He said the same with regards to both Persona 2s (i.e., P1>P2).

I dunno, that was when i only had played EP. After playing IS, i'm p. sure the P2 games are better than P1, but P1 is still a classic too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Technique posted:

I dunno, that was when i only had played EP. After playing IS, i'm p. sure the P2 games are better than P1, but P1 is still a classic too.

That's cool, though I don't see how the two P2s are different enough for IS to change your mind.

What didn't you like about about P4? I presume when you say The Answer was better, you're primarily referring to the combat, which saw no evolution from P3?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I utterly despise The Answer as it was 20 hours of grinding to get plot that we already could figure out for the most part in the original story. It also helps that I hate Aigis and want to mute my TV every time she opens her mouth.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That's cool, though I don't see how the two P2s are different enough for IS to change your mind.

What didn't you like about about P4? I presume when you say The Answer was better, you're primarily referring to the combat, which saw no evolution from P3?

Playing EP before P1 or IS isn't really very interesting. Playing P1, then IS, then EP is a much better experience, basically.All three games benefit from playing the others, so that's what changed my mind. Never even beat EP, so my opinion will probably improve further with the remake! As for The Answer, i don't care about the combat. But it has character development and a plot that doesn't poo poo the bed, so that alone puts it above P4 imo! P4 is just generic anime stuff, even moreso than P3 was. (before anyone points it out, yeah, DS2 can be plenty generic too, and i like that game. But at least that still manages to be interesting despite that.)

God, phoneposting long posts gets annoying. :(

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

I agree with 90% of what you say. However, P3 was a massive change from P2 and P1. P3 had much more to do with social interaction which seemed like the main focus of the game. Tartarus sucked poo poo as a dungeon which destroyed the crawler aspect. I put it down first try simply because, like you, I prefer crawlers. But I did love it 2nd try as I had smashed my previous expectations. SJ is still my favorite in the series. The last areas rule.

I am super loving childlike excited about P4G. The lighthearted approach I saw in the anime will be welcome as opposition to my bleak taste in entertainment.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That's basically my feeling on the various personas. Everyone can argue till they're blue in the face about which one is better than the others, but I wound up feeling like they all scratched a different itch in terms of tone and depth after playing all of them except IS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I honestly couldn't stand P3FES after playing P4 first. I honestly felt like the Main Character was just "There" and never did much to really affect anything, story, social links or otherwise. It didn't help that I was one of those guys who ended up drawing the worst moves of the AI partners.

Though I will say that P3P is far and away the better version of P3. Spruced up a lot of stuff and feels less like a chore to go through. I put it just under P4.