Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
That's the one thing I really miss from the True Crime games (Besides Snoop Dogg Lion). There was nothing quite like telling granny to spread 'em and digging through her pockets for meth or firing your gun wildly in the air to break up a domestic dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

Pretty much all Sleeping Dogs has is the drug busts.
Sometimes you'll see someone robbing a woman of her purse. You can pursue and return the purse for a small reward. It's a small thing, though.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
When that happened to me, I punched out the dude with the purse, and then the cops came after me and shot at me :confused:

I want to hear other stories about weird glitches, I.E. flying into the air, having people stacked on top of each other, etc. The dumb glitches are kind of the best part of open-world games.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've had a couple very amusing glitches. In one mission, I got stuck inbetween two parts of terrain and ended up rocketing fifty feet straight up into the air, still in my standing animation, before falling down and taking no damage whatsoever. Also in one of the side-jobs where I was supposed to drive someone's car into the water so they could collect the insurance, I ended up smacking the side of the car on my way out and it sent me flying really far out into the ocean.

The weirdest and most annoying glitch, however, was when I somehow got trapped riding a ghost bus forever and I couldn't get out. Had to reload the game.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Jonny Retro posted:

That's the one thing I really miss from the True Crime games (Besides Snoop Dogg Lion). There was nothing quite like telling granny to spread 'em and digging through her pockets for meth or firing your gun wildly in the air to break up a domestic dispute.
I'd love to see some DLC from Raymond or Teng's perspective. Run a police operation and get to cruise around busting heads.

Ravana posted:

:paramedic beatdown stuff:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the paramedics say this every time. They only have one response dialogue, which is why they refer to everyone as a man.

Broseph Brostar posted:

With the combination of driving, kung fu, and macking on women, this game really gives me Black Dynamite vibes. Hopefully somebody puts out a mod like that, because this game is the closest thing I've ever played to that. I guess at least for the time being Wei can be Asian Dynamite.
Just put on some Daptones and you're done.

Wandle Cax posted:

Nope the date went very well indeed if you didn't catch the subtext at the end. That's just how Wei rolls, and Amanda was a tourist anyway, she probably moved on.
You get her police observation report later on. She pretty much just cruises around looking for Asian dudes to bang. She was seen with a few different dudes while she was dating Wei.

My take on girlfriends: Wei is a shallow, unstable rear end in a top hat. You can't call girls because it just wouldn't occur to him to call them back. It isn't important. Homie moves from woman to woman without thinking and goes around banging whores to seem like more of a tough guy. Tiffany finding out about Not Ping would probably hurt him, because Not Ping is a loose end that leads back to Raymond. "How did you two meet?" "Oh, she was running the electronics store where I picked up the high tech surveillance equipment the HKPD ordered for me." So not getting to give a poo poo about girlfriends in this game and the constant adultery is just an extension of Wei's character.

I'm only far enough to have just moved to Central, but Wei is an antisocial drifter. He'll work to fit in wherever you throw him.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DrunkPanda posted:

Also how come I had a date with Amanda and all of a sudden I never hear from her again? Did the date go that badly? :ohdear:

It's like none of the goons who are asking this have never heard of a one night stand. You wouldn't want her any ways, she was just banging you in the closed park because she has the yellow fever.

In the files and survalience reports it is implied that you are spending around 2 weeks together with some sort of contact. Same with Tiffany. But that stuff is kept off screen because I play this game to smash triad fools into phone booths, besides I was only after her so she could show me her blog about the health shrines.

White women with yellow fever :allears: why does this only happen in one video game?

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

I want to hear other stories about weird glitches, I.E. flying into the air, having people stacked on top of each other, etc. The dumb glitches are kind of the best part of open-world games.

I was about to finish up the main storyline, on my way to the final location, it was pouring down rain. I was just soaking up the atmosphere. And then suddenly the highway ahead of me vanishes before my eyes and I drive off the edge of the world into nothingness. Wouldn't be an open world game without that happening at least once.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
For you Hong Kong natives, a question:

What sort of penalty would one face for possession of a firearm? I've known they're not common at all and criminals use knives and whatnot instead of putting bullets in folks, but I've never heard of what sort of punishment someone received for getting caught with a gun.

drat this game is fun as hell. I found out you can kinda goomba stomp dudes if you dive off a ledge and hit attack, so long as you're pointing in the general direction of a person. And the wall kick is god drat baller.

WEI SHEN MUFUCKAH, WHO YOU :madmax:

e:

Requesting Ghost Pig DLC:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

For you Hong Kong natives, a question:

What sort of penalty would one face for possession of a firearm? I've known they're not common at all and criminals use knives and whatnot instead of putting bullets in folks, but I've never heard of what sort of punishment someone received for getting caught with a gun.

I almost feel like we should have a question for dumb HK questions. After Just Cause 2, I never want to assume anything ever again in regards to voice acting, but moreover, I want to know if there's a really limited amount of emotion in the faces. I can tell clearly from the rest of the game that UFG didn't exactly nail animation in general, but the cutscenes in general are incredibly wooden and only because we've gotten some western games that were frankly genre-redefining (L.A. Noire, Capcom's work on the Resident Evil games and to a lesser degree stuff like Gears and God of War). The puppet heads look is really disconcerting given the dialogue, but I know they weren't capped at the same time.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

I recreated my favorite glitch from Vice City.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Guns are a rarity in Hong Kong."

Next mission, everyone has guns. :downs:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I enjoy the little things in games like this, for instance how random generic NPCs will greet you on the street respectfully, sometimes giving a bow/nod "Hello, Mr. Shen".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PurplieNurplie posted:

It's not my video, but this one is pretty entertaining (like the GTA swingset):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHq2D8gZNv0

Jun 29, 2009

PurplieNurplie posted:

When that happened to me, I punched out the dude with the purse, and then the cops came after me and shot at me :confused:

I did the same thing, then I realised you should tackle them, not punch them. :)

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I really want a Fist of the North Star/Kenshiro outfit. And some attacks.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Think I'll do another playthrough and try and get the Ladykiller set before I go on the dates. Pretty hard to gain Face without doing a few missions though. I guess it should be possible?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Holy Cheese posted:

Think I'll do another playthrough and try and get the Ladykiller set before I go on the dates. Pretty hard to gain Face without doing a few missions though. I guess it should be possible?
Spend all of your money on Face gain boosting clothing, (There are 5%, then 10%, then 15%). You gain massive amounts of face for completing races and favors, so beeline to those. You can also optionally put off the dates until you have the set -- you're not forced into them (as far as I can tell). You do meet Amanda but that's not part of the date I think.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Broseph Brostar posted:

With the combination of driving, kung fu, and macking on women, this game really gives me Black Dynamite vibes. Hopefully somebody puts out a mod like that, because this game is the closest thing I've ever played to that. I guess at least for the time being Wei can be Asian Dynamite.

"Euphoria shut the gently caress up!"

:downsrim:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

gibbed posted:

Spend all of your money on Face gain boosting clothing, (There are 5%, then 10%, then 15%). You gain massive amounts of face for completing races and favors, so beeline to those. You can also optionally put off the dates until you have the set -- you're not forced into them (as far as I can tell). You do meet Amanda but that's not part of the date I think.

I think you are required to meet all the ladies you will be able to date before going onwards with the story.

Amanda unlocks the Dojo, it's not stricly story related but if you don't do it you won't be called to deliver your message to the owner of club Bam Bam

Tiffany works at club Bam Bam, and you meet her for arranging the meeting with the owner of the club

Not Ping sells you the equipment you need to investigate on Winston

You meet the russian girl while working for Big Smile Lee's lieutenant

You meet Two Chin's daughter in one of the attempts of Big Smile Lee's lieutenant to setting you up against Ricky

Did I miss something?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

limaCAT posted:

I think you are required to meet all the ladies you will be able to date before going onwards with the story.
Yeah, I meant to elaborate on the others but I'd doubt the Lady Killer does anything to the meet (and not date) parts, but who knows (correct me if I'm wrong!). I was able to get the lady killer suit before meeting anyone besides Amanda.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

... I just dropped from above onto a group of three enemies and proceeded to bounce-kick off of all of them, wire-fu style. I'm in complete awe. I've played like 30 hours of this game and I'm still finding a bunch of cool stuff I had no idea I could do.

EDIT: Also I made a video

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 22, 2012

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

I hope everyone here knows that when you have a pistol in your hand you can do a running kick into a dude, then quickly hold the left trigger and shoot a guy's face in slowmo, while jumping backwards off his chest.

It's incredible.

fake edit: You can also do it with every other weapon in the game, but they have different animations. The pistol takedown is the best one.

This is from a few pages back, but I can't figure out how to pull it off. All I can do with a gun equipped is the grapples. Anyone have any pointers?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Unbearable posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I can't figure out how to pull it off. All I can do with a gun equipped is the grapples. Anyone have any pointers?

Make sure you have a gun in your hand, sprint and press the attack button (not the shoot button) when you're near an enemy - just like a running kick. Then hold the aiming button and shoot his face.

I'm not sure, but I think that some early Police Upgrade is required to do this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

gibbed posted:

Yeah, I meant to elaborate on the others but I'd doubt the Lady Killer does anything to the meet (and not date) parts, but who knows (correct me if I'm wrong!). I was able to get the lady killer suit before meeting anyone besides Amanda.

From what I can tell, you get an extra bit of dialogue tacked onto the end of the date implying sex. I'm starting the game over and to test this theory I made sure to grab the ladykiller stuff before the actual date with Amanda (where you go to Victoria Peak), and at the end it fades out and then fades back up to a shot of the car with some funk music playing and Wei says "I've got an idea" and Amanda's like "Oooh? Tell me about it..." or something like that.

I wasn't paying as close attention to the other dates last time, but I do remember Wei calling Sandra back to the car (which was funny because the scripting didn't work and she kind of just stood outside the car in the rain) in her extra scene, and a definite implication of sex with Not Ping. Don't remember the Tiffany date that well, haven't done it this playthrough yet and I might not have had the outfit last time yet.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

Make sure you have a gun in your hand, sprint and press the attack button (not the shoot button) when you're near an enemy - just like a running kick. Then hold the aiming button and shoot his face.

I'm not sure, but I think that some early Police Upgrade is required to do this.

Thanks I figured out, never tried 'E' as an attack button outside grapples before. Turns out that's what you use to kick with a gun equipped. :v:

e: man, I would've had so much more fun with the gunfight missions if I knew this.

Unbearable fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 22, 2012

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like this game a lot but Jesus how do I remember the cars go forwards on the left side of the road?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
gently caress, I live in a LHD country but I've played RHD open-world shooters for so long it took me a while to get used to that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ethanol posted:

I like this game a lot but Jesus how do I remember the cars go forwards on the left side of the road?

Stop driving cars, so that when you forget and drive your motorcycle into oncoming traffic, you can just do a wheelie and turn it into a sweet jump.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Unbearable posted:

e: man, I would've had so much more fun with the gunfight missions if I knew this.

I figured it out accidentally pretty early on, so my gunfights we're ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJMUX9oZOI

You should also check out the shotgun shoulder ram, it's great (same button combination, but different animation).

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

The Deadly Hume posted:

gently caress, I live in a LHD country but I've played RHD open-world shooters for so long it took me a while to get used to that.

I'm the same. I keep parking my cars and not being able to get out of the driver's seat.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

luncheon meat posted:

I'm the same. I keep parking my cars and not being able to get out of the driver's seat.

Clean parking is for scrubs.
Reach max speed and tap Y two times.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wish a CE had been made for this game, especially if it had contained non-plastic replicas of the jade statues in the game. Would have bought that up in a heartbeat.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

limaCAT posted:

Clean parking is for scrubs.
Reach max speed and tap Y two times.

Wait, what does double tapping change?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

Hahaha me too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ShineDog posted:

Wait, what does double tapping change?

Nothing, it gives me hope that United Front will change the car radio system with the one from SR3 (double tapping will not stop keep the radio there)

edit: gently caress

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 22, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Attention Horse posted:

IIRC it's either first or second tier, and it gives you slow-mo after disarming or meleeing an enemy.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

limaCAT posted:

Nothing, it gives me hope that United Front will change the car radio system with the one from SR3 (double tapping will not stop the radio there)

I thought that was a hold.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

luncheon meat posted:

If you're not crawling out the windshield you are not parking properly.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

ShineDog posted:

I thought that was a hold.

Yeah, hold left d-pad to turn down/off the radio or right to turn it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Attention Horse posted:

I figured it out accidentally pretty early on, so my gunfights we're ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJMUX9oZOI

You should also check out the shotgun shoulder ram, it's great (same button combination, but different animation).

I also just found out that doing a regular melee attack with a gun will drop an enemy to their knees and then aiming will slow down time to set you up for an execution shot. :aaa:

• Locked thread