Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Install Gentoo posted:

If you have a chunk of meat to cook, and it's 50 cm by 40 cm by 10 cm that's 20 liters, and should fit in say a 30 liter microwave.

Seriously, did you forget basic measures so easily? Height times width times depth!
What if you have a 9"x13"x2" casserole dish? That's 234 cubic inches, so it should fit in a 10"x10"x10" space, which is 1000 cubic inches, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What if you have a 9"x13"x2" casserole dish? That's 234 cubic inches, so it should fit in a 10"x10"x10" space, which is 1000 cubic inches, right?

Sure, you'll just need to put in in diagonally.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

baquerd posted:

Sure, you'll just need to put in in diagonally.

But then when the thing spins and the whirring noises start, there will be other more clangy noises and then to add insult to injury, the food won't be heated evenly.

The Microwave guy needs a Tardish.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Hey I'm looking for people with paradoxical insomnia (Also known as sleep state misperception) to tell me their subjective experience with their sleep. Paradoxical Insomnia is the self report of insomnia when objective measurement shows that the person is sleeping much longer what they report. For example someone says they are sleeping two hours a night, but a sleep lab study shows that they really sleep around 7 hours.

So if you have paradoxical insomnia, what is the experience like? Are you aware of things that go on around you while you sleep? Would you be aware of maybe a fan blowing or cars passing on the street but still be asleep? Does it seem like you lay awake all night thinking? How rested do you feel in the morning?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Since paradoxical insomnia sounds like a relatively rare disorder you might have trouble getting answers in this particular thread, but have you tried the Sleep and Sleep Disorders thread in The Goon Doctor? They'd probably have experience with it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

TheGame posted:

Since paradoxical insomnia sounds like a relatively rare disorder you might have trouble getting answers in this particular thread, but have you tried the Sleep and Sleep Disorders thread in The Goon Doctor? They'd probably have experience with it.

Thanks, that seems like a much better place!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

And I seriously hope that this is an auto-correct problem because it might be the first time I'm having a :corsair: moment for language changes.

You aren't the only one. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how people started thinking inbox was a verb.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
My friend is moving to New York from the UK next month and his work tried to pull a fast one by offering him "health insurance" which has turned out to be glorified travel insurance worth $280 a year.

Does anyone have any recommendations or resources he can look in to to work out what will be good for him? I think he's looking at around the $300 p/m figure from doing a bit of research but really this is very alien to us so we have no clue!

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
How much should I tip a hair stylist on a $60 men's haircut? Thanks.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This thread, while explicitly by a barber and not a stylist, says that haircuts over $30 should have restaurant-level tips. To me that says 15-20% on average. Googling around depressed me because there are a lot of people tipping 5% on $200 jobs. Goddamn.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

concerned mom posted:

My friend is moving to New York from the UK next month and his work tried to pull a fast one by offering him "health insurance" which has turned out to be glorified travel insurance worth $280 a year.

Does anyone have any recommendations or resources he can look in to to work out what will be good for him? I think he's looking at around the $300 p/m figure from doing a bit of research but really this is very alien to us so we have no clue!

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
UK people:

Wikipedia's overview of "The World's End" includes this line:

quote:

They are convinced to stage an encore by mate Gary King, a 40-year old man trapped at the cigarette end of his teens.

What does this mean? Googling just gets me the text of the press release the sites all copied and pasted, and I am not usre how much of the phrase has to be together to make sense.

Bonus question: what is the linguistics term for phrases that require a specific set of words, that non-natives get wrong often?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

kapalama posted:

Bonus question: what is the linguistics term for phrases that require a specific set of words, that non-natives get wrong often?
They're set phrases; maybe there's another term. Also, don't forget about the linguistics thread.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

kapalama posted:

An idiom?

e: VVV that dude probably knows more than me on this matter

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

kapalama posted:

UK people:

Wikipedia's overview of "The World's End" includes this line:

What does this mean? Googling just gets me the text of the press release the sites all copied and pasted, and I am not usre how much of the phrase has to be together to make sense.

It's comparable to 'being lost at the rear end end of nowhere'; in this case the 'butt end' is meant as a metaphor for a cigarette that has nearly burnt down to the filter, that is, over.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Idiom and set-phrase are equally applicable, in that the differences between their meanings are small enough to not be relevant in this discussion.

Besides, kapalama has made it obvious he doesn't actually want linguistic information.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

One that I've seen come up with no less than four esl speakers is 'dog eat dog world'. They all independently parsed it as 'doggie dog world'.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

One that I've seen come up with no less than four esl speakers is 'dog eat dog world'. They all independently parsed it as 'doggie dog world'.

Maybe they're just gangsta rap fans?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
On the topic of esl, why is it I see "wanna" all the time from Japanese esl folks?

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My laptop charger is making electric crackling noises whenever I touch it. Does that mean I should be looking for a new one?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Idiom and set-phrase are equally applicable, in that the differences between their meanings are small enough to not be relevant in this discussion.

Besides, kapalama has made it obvious he doesn't actually want linguistic information.

(Don't be a dick, how about? You did PM me. We did talk, and now you have to bring something unrelated back to the thread? I think linguists are wrong about Sapir-Whorf. You don't. Good. We talked about it via PM. Good. I think linguistics is fun and interesting apart from that. This has nothing to do with Sapir-Whorf, though, does it? Let it go. It's OK that people don't agree on everything, especially when it is the theoretical and not the technical.)

It's not an idiom or a set phrase; it's seemingly a rather technical term used for seeing whether translations are done into natural native language. I have no idea whether it is linguistics term or not. It got mentioned before in this thread (I think) about whether translations are put into natural native language.

Something along the lines of "The car is jogging" as a mistaken translation for the "car is running", though that is a bad example. Fake Edit: Holy heck "the car is jogging' gets a bunch of actual blog content using that phrase, though they seem to be sites built to defeat Bayesian filters more than anything.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

FeloniousDrunk posted:

On the topic of esl, why is it I see "wanna" all the time from Japanese esl folks?

They learn from dubious sources and want to sound like "authentic" Americans, so lots of ppl wanna b able 2 type like dis.

Foreigners learning Japanese tend to do the same thing, with absolutely loving hilarious results sometimes... like a neckbeard sounding like the Japanese equivalent of a valley girl.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Practically speaking "want to" runs together two sounds that are not native to Japanese. They have to say "Wahnto Tsu" if they are still stuck with their native syllables which sounds nowhere near right, so they are taught by experience that "wanna" which they can say with native sounds works. You might see the same thing with gonna being closer than "Goingu Tsu", but I don't see Japanese having problems with getting "Goingu Tsu" understood. "Wahnto Tsu" gets undertood very rarely.

Japanese are frequently led astray by the fact that they learn English by writing it in their native writing, rather than by speaking it, and English does not transliterate well to Japanese and vice versa.

Trying to get Japanese to learn sentences they need to use every day still results in them writing them down in Katakana/Romaji, and then reading the Katakana/Romaji more often than not, IME. Which means that it is better to have them write "wanna" than "wahnto tsu".

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kapalama posted:

Practically speaking "want to" runs together two sounds that are not native to Japanese. They have to say "Wahnto Tsu" if they are still stuck with their native syllables which sounds nowhere near right, so they are taught by experience that "wanna" which they can say with native sounds works. You might see the same thing with gonna being closer than "Goingu Tsu", but I don't see Japanese having problems with getting "Goingu Tsu" understood. "Wahnto Tsu" gets undertood very rarely.

Japanese are frequently led astray by the fact that they learn English by writing it in their native writing, rather than by speaking it, and English does not transliterate well to Japanese and vice versa.

Trying to get Japanese to learn sentences they need to use every day still results in them writing them down in Katakana/Romaji, and then reading the Katakana/Romaji more often than not, IME. Which means that it is better to have them write "wanna" than "wahnto tsu".

This makes no sense when it comes to writing. In my experience actually TEACHING people English, they may have occasional problems when a romanization rule conflicts with some English spelling rule, but on the whole, they tend to spell things correctly. It certainly does not affect something as specific as "want to" turning into "wanna." I've never seen that kind of writing error from people learning English for that reason -- if I saw it, it was because they're imitating something else they saw.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

kapalama posted:

It's not an idiom or a set phrase; it's seemingly a rather technical term used for seeing whether translations are done into natural native language. I have no idea whether it is linguistics term or not. It got mentioned before in this thread (I think) about whether translations are put into natural native language.

Something along the lines of "The car is jogging" as a mistaken translation for the "car is running", though that is a bad example.
Sounds almost like an eggcorn but across languages or a malapropism but not quite. I assume "literal translation of an idiom" isn't what you're going for.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Captain Payne posted:

My laptop charger is making electric crackling noises whenever I touch it. Does that mean I should be looking for a new one?

Yes, it could be a lot of things but it is probably a loose bad connection that is arcing. No good.

Pretty much any other reason is a good one to replace it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kapalama posted:

(Don't be a dick, how about? You did PM me. We did talk, and now you have to bring something unrelated back to the thread? I think linguists are wrong about Sapir-Whorf. You don't. Good. We talked about it via PM. Good. I think linguistics is fun and interesting apart from that. This has nothing to do with Sapir-Whorf, though, does it? Let it go. It's OK that people don't agree on everything, especially when it is the theoretical and not the technical.)

Something along the lines of "The car is jogging" as a mistaken translation for the "car is running", though that is a bad example. Fake Edit: Holy heck "the car is jogging' gets a bunch of actual blog content using that phrase, though they seem to be sites built to defeat Bayesian filters more than anything.

Yes, and you stopped responding the second I asked you to back up your position or show you knew anything about linguistics.

By the way, that is an idiom AND and set phrase : you don't know what you're talking about and should stop being a dick. From what we have so far I could give it a dozen different linguistically-descriptive terms.

Like, I'm a huge rear end in a top hat, but at least I try to avoid writing about poo poo I don't know anything about, and don't got out of my way to tell people misinformation.

(gently caress you, you're dumb.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

tarepanda posted:

This makes no sense when it comes to writing. In my experience actually TEACHING people English, they may have occasional problems when a romanization rule conflicts with some English spelling rule, but on the whole, they tend to spell things correctly. It certainly does not affect something as specific as "want to" turning into "wanna." I've never seen that kind of writing error from people learning English for that reason -- if I saw it, it was because they're imitating something else they saw.

I assume he's talking about Japanese students writing everything in katakana, or writing katakana above their English and actually reading that when they practice. ワントツ vs ワナ.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
In which case I usually see ワントゥ トゥ or something of the like and never ワンナ, which is what "wanna" would be.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm just talking about esl Japanese writing English, I don't currently know any Japanese people but I enjoy flash escape games and they're good at those for some reason. But the translations seem to often have this incongruous "wanna" in there in otherwise fairly standard English. Kind of like if you were reading a manual and it read "If you wanna change your password, use htpasswd ./htpasswd username". The effect is kind of jarring.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah... sounds like imitation to me.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Both of you shut the gently caress up. This is not the place for protracted linguistics discussion. I don't know how it keeps happening but oh wait yes I do, it's you two. I am probating Xiahou Dun because of the tone of his post, but kapalama, don't think that means I'm any less irritated by you than I am by him. There's a whole linguistics thread and in future if someone asks a question like that, and you want to debate the answer someone gives, you say: "I would take some issue with that and I have posted a response in the appropriate thread. I hope we can continue discussing this there."

If you find yourself regularly writing multiple paragraph arguments in the Stupid/Small questions thread, chances are you're doing it wrong. :frogout:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

buttopticor posted:

Sounds almost like an eggcorn but across languages or a malapropism but not quite. I assume "literal translation of an idiom" isn't what you're going for.

That's a cool one too, (thanks) but the one I am looking for comes up in translation, for instance, when a non-native speaker uses a verb/adjective that is a synonym for the one normally in phrase, but is not what a native speaker would use. It was either in this thread or the Japanese language thread that this came up.

Fake Edit: Just found it by searching for powerful tea, and strong computers,: collocation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collocation

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I have a "Family Visit" visa to Algeria that I got last year. The expiration date is 5/31/2013 and the duration is 90 days with multiple entries allowed.

Does this mean that:
* I can enter Algeria multiple times for no more than 90 days each trip until the expiration date?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times but the total amount of time spent in Algeria before the expiration date can't be more than 90 days?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times, but only within 90 days after my first entry?

I spent a month in Algeria last year and I'm hoping to go again for a couple of weeks in September. If I need a new visa I won't have time to get one before my trip and I'll have to cancel. I'm going to stop by the Algerian embassy in DC tomorrow to ask them in person, but in the meantime does anyone have an idea?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

I have a "Family Visit" visa to Algeria that I got last year. The expiration date is 5/31/2013 and the duration is 90 days with multiple entries allowed.

Does this mean that:
* I can enter Algeria multiple times for no more than 90 days each trip until the expiration date?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times but the total amount of time spent in Algeria before the expiration date can't be more than 90 days?
* I can enter Algeria multiple times, but only within 90 days after my first entry?

I spent a month in Algeria last year and I'm hoping to go again for a couple of weeks in September. If I need a new visa I won't have time to get one before my trip and I'll have to cancel. I'm going to stop by the Algerian embassy in DC tomorrow to ask them in person, but in the meantime does anyone have an idea?

This seems to imply that your second description is correct.

quote:

Multiple entry visa : you can stay the whole granted period (durée du séjour) consecutively or you can stay multiple time deducting the number of days you have stayed each time you enter Algeria;
<snip>
Visitors must leave Algeria before the expiry date shown on the top right hand corner on the visa sticker;

A question: I live in Canada and need to purchase US postage. USPS won't deliver to me, and even websites that let you print postage seem to require that I pay with a card that has a US billing address. Do I have any options aside from having someone in the US buy me stamps and then paying them back later?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I just had a major brainfart and clicked a bad link, don't know if it was malware or phishing but it was definitely unsound. I realized what I had done about a second later and, before the page had finished fully loading (but enough for its title to appear), closed the Firefox tab. Was that enough for malware or something to get into the computer? Nothing else has come up indicating anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

miryei posted:

A question: I live in Canada and need to purchase US postage. USPS won't deliver to me, and even websites that let you print postage seem to require that I pay with a card that has a US billing address. Do I have any options aside from having someone in the US buy me stamps and then paying them back later?

What do you need to purchase US stamps for? You don't need them unless you plan to be in the United States and sending mail there; and once you're here you can get them anywhere.

If what you want to do is give stamps to someone who already is in the US or will be there soon, just send them some money.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

I just had a major brainfart and clicked a bad link, don't know if it was malware or phishing but it was definitely unsound. I realized what I had done about a second later and, before the page had finished fully loading (but enough for its title to appear), closed the Firefox tab. Was that enough for malware or something to get into the computer? Nothing else has come up indicating anything.

Run malware bytes for sure, your anti-virus is probably not equipped to detect it, so silence doesn't necessarily mean you're ok. Microsoft has a bootable version of Windows Defender too that has found stuff that mbam misses. You're probably fine, but do a scan anyway.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I want to be able to mail a letter to someone in the US and include a stamp which can be used to mail a letter back to me. I anticipate having to do this a couple times a month, mostly to different people; buying US stamps would be easier than either PayPal-ing several different people 85 cents at a time, or including US currency with the letter. I'd like to be able to buy a sheet or so of US stamps and just use the stamps as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

miryei posted:

I want to be able to mail a letter to someone in the US and include a stamp which can be used to mail a letter back to me. I anticipate having to do this a couple times a month, mostly to different people; buying US stamps would be easier than either PayPal-ing several different people 85 cents at a time, or including US currency with the letter. I'd like to be able to buy a sheet or so of US stamps and just use the stamps as necessary.
You could just paypal them the money for a book of stamps and they could include it in their next letter.