Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The radius of a skate blade isn't what 1/2" or 5/8" refers to, that's the hollow.

This site is pretty good about explaining it all, if you're curious: http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep, should have corrected that when I linked to that page earlier. You are right.

I just got a custom 8'/12' radius from there today in the mail, can't wait to try it out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Yep, should have corrected that when I linked to that page earlier. You are right.

I just got a custom 8'/12' radius from there today in the mail, can't wait to try it out.

8' radius?? So like, skiis? :v:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

8' radius?? So like, skiis? :v:

If you're not joking (didn't read what Chemmy said):

The radius is how much the actual entire runner curves from the front to the back of the boot. Like the hollow of skates, it's measured as what would be the radius of the circle if it were continued from what it's already making. It's usually measured in feet, because the radius is obviously a much more shallow curve. The hollow is how much it's curved at the bottom of the blade where it actually meets the ice, and is measured in inches.

Here's some illustrations:
Hollow

Radius

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes. 8' / 12'.

http://noicingsports.com/combination_skate_radius.html

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Edit: NM. Read before posting is good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:staredog:

e: I am not removing staredog just because you edited!

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

Pleads posted:

:staredog:

e: I am not removing staredog just because you edited!

drat you were quick :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So if you win your beer league championship, is it acceptable to throw off all your gear and dogpile your goalie like you won the Stanley Cup? Before the handshake so the other team has to watch, right? Do we all skate around with the Bronze league trophy held high for all 7 of the parents/wives to see? If I score a late goal, is it cool to do the knee-slide/stick ride past the other bench?

Being in the championship game is brand new territory for my team, so knowing these things is extremely important.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
When we won ours last season there were many fistbumps/brohugs for a minute or two at most before the handshake. Then the timekeeper took a couple team pictures and told us to GTFO since there's another game scheduled.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Being in the championship game is brand new territory for my team, so knowing these things is extremely important.
It all depends on how much you win by, when we've won by one or two we go crazy. We had one where we won by like 5 and we did a group yell.

Last 3 times I've won it as a goalie we've always handed the 'trophy' around and skated around in circles like dorks and taken a team picture.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When we won we treated it like any other win, shook hands, then took a few fun pictures.

The other team sent over the bottle of champagne that they brought (as is tradition in our league) and we used our league provided championship mugs to drink it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We drank beer from our little cup and then found off the silver paint stuff inside was flaking off into our beer so watch out for that.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

sellouts posted:

When we won we treated it like any other win, shook hands, then took a few fun pictures.

The other team sent over the bottle of champagne that they brought (as is tradition in our league) and we used our league provided championship mugs to drink it.

Pretty much the same when my team won last season. I think it was about the same celebration level as a close OT win, plus a trophy.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Remember how I posted a while back about flubbing the potential game-winning shootout attempt? Well, tonight I got redemption. We shot last, and it was tied after 3 shooters, so I choose myself as the 4th shooter. Our goalie stops their shot, and I come down and slam it home 5 hole.

Feels good man. :smugdog:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Playing in my first ever weekend tournament this weekend. It's the only one in my area -- most of the time if we want to get a team together and play in one we have to travel somewhere. I'm totally stoked. Our first game is Friday afternoon, then we have one at 7:30 in the morning on Saturday, and another one late Saturday afternoon with the championship game on Sunday (okay, so it's a small tourney). I can't remember the last time I was this excited about anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've only been to one tournament and even though we had a -25 goal differential over 3 games, that weekend completely owned. Tournaments own.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I probably waste about an hour a day thinking about what I need to pack/prepare for our pond hockey tournament in Lake Placid in January. Cannot wait.

:woop::woop::woop:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

- duty free booze
-

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

I've only been to one tournament and even though we had a -25 goal differential over 3 games, that weekend completely owned. Tournaments own.

Just gonna agree with this. We have a family tournament.where I'm from (ie, only people related can be on each team) and while we won our division one year it's literally the highlight of my year, every year. It's just so much fun win or lose. loving hockey, man.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

- duty free booze
-

I told you, I'm not sure what I can bring over with me! Gonna have to call somewhere, none of the online resources make it clear.

I will mule rye over the border if allowed, though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

I told you, I'm not sure what I can bring over with me! Gonna have to call somewhere, none of the online resources make it clear.

I will mule rye over the border if allowed, though.

Lots and lots of rye.

So some of you may remember me posting this last fall or so:

Someone has decided to one-up that:

Skaboots Skate Guards
:stare:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That is too slow for me.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-rear end speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chip, I'm gonna scissor kick you in the back of the head!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We are one step closer to someone driving to a beer league game on a motorcycle while wearing full hockey gear.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

We are one step closer to someone driving to a beer league game on a motorcycle while wearing full hockey gear.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get my goalie gear to fit on mine for years.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Well my inline team just got eliminated from the playoffs, almost made the finals. Won game 1 of the series on Sunday. Tonight we were up 4-1 at one point, they ended up putting one in with <1 minute left in the third to tie. Goes to a 10 min OT, they scored with <1 minute left. Now since its a best of 2 series, there is a 10 min tie breaker game, which ended up 2-2. Now go to the OT for that, another 10 minutes, they score with <1 minute left off of a Joe Louis Arena style bounce off the boards.

Going to be thinking about that loss for awhile, rough way to lose. I dont think im going to be able to walk tomorrow, ended up blocking so many shots while trying to keep a guy twice as big as me out of the crease.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Hey, I kinda glanced through the OP and didn't see anything about this - is there a recommended place to get shooting pads on the cheap? Craigslist/eBay didn't turn anything up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head to home depot and buy sheets of dry erase board.

Silicon spray if you want to get it so slippery it's dangerous to stand on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Hey, I kinda glanced through the OP and didn't see anything about this - is there a recommended place to get shooting pads on the cheap? Craigslist/eBay didn't turn anything up.

A few of my teammates have the goal/pad from https://www.hockeyshot.com and said it works great. Especially if you want to put pucks into your neighbors pool.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

xzzy posted:

Head to home depot and buy sheets of dry erase board.

Silicon spray if you want to get it so slippery it's dangerous to stand on.

Yeah this is the cheapest option, it comes 4'x8', so you can cut it to whatever size you want and its only like $10. Silicon spray is only like $3 also.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

A few of my teammates have the goal/pad from https://www.hockeyshot.com and said it works great. Especially if you want to put pucks into your neighbors pool.

Or break the cheap-o fence your landlord installed!

That reminds me: I need to fix that before winter comes and kills all the weeds I let grow up to cover the broken parts :ninja:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone know what kind of options are out there for full custom fit skates?

I know Bauer has their custom skate system, and there's always MLX too. Do any of the other manufacturers have custom options available to non-pros? I'm really not after pro quality equipment, I just need to find a pair of skates that don't hurt my feet and the mass produced ones available at hockey stores aren't working for me.

This is just the research phase.. I don't expect to drop any money for a month or two.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If you can still get them mlx does good customizations. They sold to easton though so it might be impossible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

6 of us will be in Lake Placid anyways, a few more of you join and let's play in the 5v5 tournament as well as the pond hockey tournament. They're both on the same weekend and the 5v5 tournament is on the olympic ice.

Games are 3 periods of 12 min stop time, that's actually not that bad. We already have a goalie. What started as a joke is now somewhat serious... 4 GAMES A DAY, LETS DO THIS

http://www.facebook.com/events/460350610662582/
http://www.usahockey.com/players/classic_tournaments.aspx

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 23, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MAN I'D TOTALLY LOVE A TOURNAMENT WEEKEND

*sellouts posts a tournament weekend invite*

*crickets*

Silly goons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well see the thing is, driving to Eagle River is a mere 6 hour drive for me. Lake Placid is 15 hours.

I can handle 12 hours of driving for a weekend of hockey, but 30 hours is :barf:

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

(also I suck at hockey still)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I didn't really read the post. I'll play with you guys, sure. I don't have a facebook page though, so someone would have to e-mail me the details.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

(also I suck at hockey still)

I'm a goaltender and I'm still going to play in the pond hockey tournament and I'm flying all the way up from Austin. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
My knees can't take Ice hockey. :smith: