Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

shrughes posted:

Larger screen area (in inches squared) can be useful. Also the retina screen is a dream. I think the keyboard might have slightly more key travel than the Air. You might want to look up how the battery life compares. It really depends on whether you're using the discrete GPU.

On my own Air I play Diablo 3 but that is the limit of my graphical use, really. Just 'normal' desktop apps when in work mode, and I'd be running various stuff in Parallels (TOAD for Oracle, Office, Outlook... stuff like that).

When in the office, I'd be running through a larger monitor anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can you wait until your work/vendor has the 2012 Air? I avoid 1st gen Apple hardware as a rule and I think you'd miss the ultra portability of the MBA. Look at the 1st gen Air: in retrospect it is garbage even for the time. Apple always works out most of the kinks by the second round. I remember my 12" Powerbook G4. It was the very first gen and the body warped because of the heat. That thing was a piece of poo poo.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I avoid 1st gen Apple hardware as a rule
I know this is the best advice for apple products, but I need to ask:

If they release a 13 inch Retina macbook before Haswell (late 2012?)-- would it qualify as first generation retina product, or would it be expected that they've worked out lots of the kinks in the 15 inch retina.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Back from the Apple Store with my new MacBook Air. :) The estimated pick-up date was Wednesday; imagine my surprise when they text me today, right after work.

I'll hold off on the gushing for now, but it's really spiffy and... holy crap, did it just boot in six seconds?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Glenn posted:

Back from the Apple Store with my new MacBook Air. :) The estimated pick-up date was Wednesday; imagine my surprise when they text me today, right after work.

I'll hold off on the gushing for now, but it's really spiffy and... holy crap, did it just boot in six seconds?

It takes me longer to type in the password to unlock FileVault than it does for the OS to start and log me in now.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Mine is supposed to be being delivered tomorrow but it says it's still in Germany (I'm in the UK).

The wait is killing me.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
For those with the new Air, are you gaming under Windows 7? This laptop is awesome overall, but Left 4 Dead 2 runs like garbage even on low settings for me under OSX. It's choppy even at the start of a level where you pick a weapon, let alone when you have a bunch of zombies on screen.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

hedgecore posted:

For those with the new Air, are you gaming under Windows 7? This laptop is awesome overall, but Left 4 Dead 2 runs like garbage even on low settings for me under OSX. It's choppy even at the start of a level where you pick a weapon, let alone when you have a bunch of zombies on screen.

Which version air did your roll with? I just picked up a 13in base model and am wondering if i should bother opening and using it. Valve games like Left 4 Dead aren't exactly demanding so if I can't play at least that at a playable level I may have to return it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Valve/Source games are far more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. That's probably part of the reason why you're seeing poor performance in L4D.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

L4D2 runs fine for me on the 2012 13" MBA base model. I turned down the graphics but it runs smoothly at 1280x800

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
Yeah, I think L4D2 runs fine on the 13" Air under OS X. I don't bump down the resolution, but yeah, all settings on low.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Bonobos posted:

Which version air did your roll with? I just picked up a 13in base model and am wondering if i should bother opening and using it. Valve games like Left 4 Dead aren't exactly demanding so if I can't play at least that at a playable level I may have to return it.

2012 13" with 8GB ram upgrade.

I'm going to dual boot Windows 7 eventually, and I'll report back (everywhere seems to think this is most effective) but it probably won't be before you can make a decision on that.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

hedgecore posted:

2012 13" with 8GB ram upgrade.

I'm going to dual boot Windows 7 eventually, and I'll report back (everywhere seems to think this is most effective) but it probably won't be before you can make a decision on that.

Meh, let me know what you find. Hopefully you let me know within a week, I would hate to be hit with restocking fees.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

We have a wireless network that works fine for anything else. Streaming video from my iPad to my Apple TV using Air Video even works with no problem.

It's just this MBA using AirPlay mirroring on our TV - when we're just surfing the web it's fine, but let's say we pull up YouTube - it'll just stutter and be unwatchable.

The Apple TV is hard wired with Ethernet and the MBA is wireless. Why can't we "push" videos just like on an iOS device? That seems to work fine.

I don't own any videos on iTunes to see if that is any different, but we love YouTube and being able to stream it on the TV was such a good idea for our new computer. Now we go back to the iPad and it's weird that ML would release this protocol without it "just working smooth".

E: This Apple support page shows a lot of people saying the same thing - I think it's just too ahead of its time and it shows.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4150056?start=0&tstart=0

What a shame. I still love the laptop, but what the Hell
Air Video is working the same way as YouTube and stuff, it's just forwarding the stream. The big difference between that and mirroring is a lot more bandwidth and no buffering, so any hiccups in the network or just not enough speed can cause the lagginess, whereas with a normal video stream it could be buffered for a bit (or a lot) and compensate for any network issues. Why there's no video streaming (outside of iTunes) for the Mac I don't know, I'd suggest ClickToPlugin but I couldn't even get it to override YouTube's HTML5 player just now to test it out.

This is a long shot, but try restarting everything, Mac, Apple TV, router. I had some trouble with my iPad mirroring lagging like hell a while back and just restarting everything got it working fine again.

Shmoogy posted:

I know this is the best advice for apple products, but I need to ask:

If they release a 13 inch Retina macbook before Haswell (late 2012?)-- would it qualify as first generation retina product, or would it be expected that they've worked out lots of the kinks in the 15 inch retina.
I'd say first cause it'd be another new body and screen, they wouldn't be able to just reuse parts from the 15...but yeah you could argue it's not first since they at least have experience with everything from the 15.

The "first generation" designation can be fuzzy like that at times, like the second gen MBA was different enough that you could argue it was another first generation product. Spec wise it was pretty similar but the rest of the hardware was all new. Meanwhile the next revisions kept the outsides but swapped out all the internals, they're all major revisions. Except when they do minor spec upgrades like faster CPUs and stuff, but it seems like they don't do those as often lately.

Just consider every new machine and major revision (inside or out) to be a possible minefield, and that it'll be surpassed in a year if not sooner.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
So many of us in the same situation and are getting their Macbook Airs now.

Mine is coming today, one day earlier than scheduled, oh poo poo.

London, United Kingdom 08/21/2012 5:50 A.M. Out For Delivery

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

sweek0 posted:

So many of us in the same situation and are getting their Macbook Airs now.

Mine is coming today, one day earlier than scheduled, oh poo poo.

London, United Kingdom 08/21/2012 5:50 A.M. Out For Delivery

Mine just arrived :D Setting it up now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

a bad poster yall posted:

Mine just arrived :D Setting it up now.
Remember to download some better dictation voices! Tessa is awesome.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

ain't carryin no fuckin pads
Just got my first Mac (2012 base 13" Air) yesterday. Loving it. Wanted to ask a few questions.

So I'm using Chrome as my default browser, and in Windows, I could always Middle-Mouse Button Click or if I was using touchpad, tap with 2 fingers, to close a tab. OS X doesn't seem to have this function built in. Anybody know of any sort of way to accomodate this "motion," or any download that would fix that?

Also, when I surfed the internets on Windows, I was able to use the same Middle-Mouse Button Click or two-finger tap on touchpad when I clicked on a link so that it would open the link in a new tab. Again, any way to regain this function as well? Kind of annoying that I can only open a link in the same tab I'm currently browsing with.

Also, any other MUST-HAVE Mac widgets/downloads/apps or what-have-yous that I should get would be much appreciated.

Edit: Hmmmmm, guess I should have posted this in the software thread. Apologies. :smith:

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

This machine is incredible. The only gripe I have is that the speakers aren't as nice as my old MBP.

I've been planning on getting some new speakers/headphones anyway so it's not the biggest hassle.

Love.

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

Regarding my new 13" MBA, are there any current "universal" optimizations that I should utilize in order for it to run better/smoother than it already is? I've noticed scrolling through PDF is pretty lovely and laggy, any way to optimize that?

e: Also noticed that swiping between desktops and the widget pane also leads to some lag/minor stuttering. Just wondering if there's a simple fix to things like these, or if this is just a result of having the stock 4GB RAM.

fanthom fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 21, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

rikesh posted:

Regarding my new 13" MBA, are there any current "universal" optimizations that I should utilize in order for it to run better/smoother than it already is? I've noticed scrolling through PDF is pretty lovely and laggy, any way to optimize that?

e: Also noticed that swiping between desktops and the widget pane also leads to some lag/minor stuttering. Just wondering if there's a simple fix to things like these, or if this is just a result of having the stock 4GB RAM.
On rMBPs, changing the Dock display from stacks to folders improves performance. You might try that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rikesh posted:

You're not hitting a memory limit of any type. I've been reading PDF's while on vacation and don't notice any issues scrolling on last years Air - maybe there's a bug in the HD 4000 video driver. That'd also cause issues in the desktop switching, I have it on my iMac but it only has a 256MB video card.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone else's 13" Air seem like it's warping a little bit on the sides, in the front? I't not very bad but it's like the bottom cover bows out just a 1/4 mm or so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rikesh posted:

Are you using Preview (the built in app) for PDFs, and is it all PDFs that are giving your the crappy performance?

fanthom
Sep 6, 2005

japtor posted:

Are you using Preview (the built in app) for PDFs, and is it all PDFs that are giving your the crappy performance?

I'm using Adobe Reader, and it has this laggy/stuttering scrolling motion through all documents I open with it. When I put two fingers and swipe up, the document scrolls accordingly, but there is no smoothness that I get on webpages, and it kind of stutters along the way.

This is not an issue when I use Preview. Preview works perfectly fine, and the scrolling is as smooth as butter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I didn't even know there was an Adobe Reader for OS X. I can't think of any reason to have it installed.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Somehow I've always had Adobe Reader on my Airs and just used it for all PDF opening. Does Preview take less memory to open a lot of PDF's? I usually have 5-10+ open - some from the internet and such that end up cluttering up my Mission Control screen with some kind of crazy windows that I can't access. I think it creates a new one for each PDF opened from a webpage. This is a software question but maybe you guys can give me a quick answer while we're on the subject.

InvisiBill
Jan 14, 2004
_ _

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't even know there was an Adobe Reader for OS X. I can't think of any reason to have it installed.

One thing I've encountered, is that newer versions of Acrobat Pro will have layers or other items that will not show up Apple Preview, particularly if a change has been made to the PDF. I'm specifically thinking of a change order from a customer, and we only shipped 2 pieces when their change order showed 3. They were pissed, and it took forever to figure out that Preview wasn't presenting all the information that Acrobat Reader/Pro would.

So, all the computers at work default to Acrobat now, instead of Preview.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

One day someone is going to send you a pdf that requires some horrible esoteric feature and you will have no choice.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah, I have to use it occasionally for work.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A number of interactive PDFs we use at work don't show text in some fields in Preview but work fine in Acrobat. I'm certain it's related to the way the PDFs were created, but I'm not fixing it and I doubt anyone else will either.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I just can't get over how sexy and light this machine is. I am so glad I went for a Macbook Air over a Pro. This is amazing to use and feels like it weights less than my iPad.

Transferring everything was really easy. Had to reinstall Office 2011 but that's pretty much all. Also my computer not completely freaking out because I'm watching a Youtube video on full screen is a delight. Time to download some apps that I wouldn't have been able to run on my old computer I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Employer just awarded me a macbook (MacBookPro9,1) loaded with 10.8.

I'm getting terrible white noise problems and am having troubles finding ways to fix it. Googling around it appears this has been a somewhat common problem for several years but I could not find a single viable solution. Most people suggest buying a usb sound card which is completely ridiculous when all I want to do is listen to mp3's at work.

I get the noise with both the internal speakers and headphones. I don't think it's bad headphones or cabling as the headphones work fine on my older macbook. The white noise is consistently loud no matter what I have the system volume set to. System sounds and music plays fine otherwise, there's just a layer of noise underneath it.

It's the same sound you get when you turn on your home stereo and crank the volume up to maximum with no music playing.. which maybe says to me the soundcard is set wrong, but the preferences panel doesn't have any kind of advanced mode for me to dick with.

Suggestions? Give up and return the laptop as defective or is there some kind of advanced mode that lets me adjust settings on the sound card myself?

edit - unplugging from the wall and running off battery has no effect on the noise either, so I don't think it's generic "shielding problems" unless it's a problem internal to the laptop itself.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm getting terrible white noise problems and am having troubles finding ways to fix it. Googling around it appears this has been a somewhat common problem for several years but I could not find a single viable solution. Most people suggest buying a usb sound card which is completely ridiculous when all I want to do is listen to mp3's at work.

I get the noise with both the internal speakers and headphones. I don't think it's bad headphones or cabling as the headphones work fine on my older macbook. The white noise is consistently loud no matter what I have the system volume set to. System sounds and music plays fine otherwise, there's just a layer of noise underneath it.

It's the same sound you get when you turn on your home stereo and crank the volume up to maximum with no music playing.. which maybe says to me the soundcard is set wrong, but the preferences panel doesn't have any kind of advanced mode for me to dick with.

Suggestions? Give up and return the laptop as defective or is there some kind of advanced mode that lets me adjust settings on the sound card myself?

edit - unplugging from the wall and running off battery has no effect on the noise either, so I don't think it's generic "shielding problems" unless it's a problem internal to the laptop itself.
AppleCare my good man

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm getting terrible white noise problems and am having troubles finding ways to fix it.

If you open up your chassis, do you see an "extra" component that looks like the item in the top right? :tinfoil:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I will admit I laughed at the big reveal. What is that thing in actuality?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I smashed open the macbook with a crowbar and found no russian transmitter in it.. so I'm glad that's not the source of the problem.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, what's it supposed to be in that Gameboy? I'm interested!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Yeah, what's it supposed to be in that Gameboy? I'm interested!

Is Russian meekrochip. Very secret vole mind control projekt. Vole is like mole but maybe not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

After getting the Air, I'm really wanting to buy the magic trackpad for my iMac. I don't even plug in a mouse to my air anymore unless I am playing a FPS game.

Learn ALL of the gestures on the trackpad, they are all pretty useful.