Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Kara no Kyokai BD: $499.99
Durarara BD: $149.98
Madoka Magica BD: $119.94 RE/$224.94 LE
Fate/Zero BD: $699.96
ROD the TV BD: $159.98
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs/movie BD: $64.98/$54.98/$54.98

Are they higher priced than than other American companies? Yes. Definitely, but they feel that they can charge the extra bit for products that are mostly "premium" deals (like the ROD TV boxset, and the Durarara BD set which is a LE thing as well)

Do they actively engage in Japanese style pricing? No. Fate Zero and Kara No Kyoukai are Imports, and Kara is getting a domestic DVD release which will be way more reasonably priced. Aniplex USA is either doing imports, which targets pretty much the people who were going to import anyway (but they get the profits) or they're doing pretty much premium type releases. That is in no way them trying to actively engage in the Japanese pricing market here. You can go buy Baccano BD from them for 50$. Which was noticeably absent from your list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Black Stones posted:

Are they higher priced than than other American companies? Yes. Definitely, but they feel that they can charge the extra bit for products that are mostly "premium" deals (like the ROD TV boxset, and the Durarara BD set which is a LE thing as well)

Do they actively engage in Japanese style pricing? No. Fate Zero and Kara No Kyoukai are Imports, and Kara is getting a domestic DVD release which will be way more reasonably priced. Aniplex USA is either doing imports, which targets pretty much the people who were going to import anyway (but they get the profits) or they're doing pretty much premium type releases. That is in no way them trying to actively engage in the Japanese pricing market here. You can go buy Baccano BD from them for 50$. Which was noticeably absent from your list.

Acting as though the pricing is merely 'higher' without placing extreme emphasis around it is kinda hard for me to accept. The market isn't going to expand or improve by taking well-loved series like KnK or Fate 'One Of The Best Shows Across Two Seasons' Zero and throwing them at us in stupidly overpriced limited import editions, while then throwing the rest of the poors/well-adjusted individuals a bargain DVD collection as a token 'gently caress You, you don't submit yourself to draconian pricing practices, enjoy your scraps'. How about some more BD releases that don't include the completely inane and insane poo poo most people don't need to have on display?

They are absolutely engaging in Japanese-style business practices, if not strictly by the actual prices themselves, then through the mentality that drives them. They know that they will absolutely get some extra sales out of people with more money and love for an anime than they have actual financial sense, which is kinda what the Japanese companies are doing over there. That they got 'one' show right doesn't exactly excuse the fact that we're essentially being told to get excited over a reasonably priced (maybe!) KnK DVD release in the Blu-Ray thread. It's kinda funny, because in one of your posts not long before this one, you correctly state that the Japanese know that they'll hardly get anyone outside of Japan to spend a stupid amount of cash for a show (maybe just enough to sell through an exceedingly limited stock of 'imports' specially set aside to take advantage of people who have the money to burn), but then they recently announced each season of Fate/Zero to hit the wallet for roughly $400 bucks apiece.

We'll probably never even see a dub of it, which is hilarious. The cost of a dub is hardly any excuse. I mean goddamn, I paid 30 bucks a DVD for special editions of all of GiTS:SAC back in the day, got a dub out of it, still ultimately paid LESS for MORE than Aniplex is offering here. Maybe they just want me to say "Thank you" and walk on my way.

Aniplex is hardly defensible, and I wouldn't feel too broken up if they suffered the same fate Bandai suffered here in the US. They've certainly managed to make themselves more deserving of it in a shockingly short amount of time. The only bad thing that would come out of it is that we miss out on proper releases of some shows, and an rear end in a top hat businessman will think and wholeheartedly believe "Those silly westerners don't want to buy my show for retarded amounts of money? I guess there's no interest in anime outside of Japan." Not once will they even stop to consider the possibility that their business practices, both in the production of and sales of anime, are possibly at fault.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1139619&start=120

There are people who are so desperate to whiteknight for this company, they call releases like the Durarara BD 'high but approachable'. They say that people bitch about the prices, despite being cheaper than they are in Japan, because we've been 'spoiled' by companies like Funimation releasing their poo poo at far more reasonable price points. I suppose they're right. I'll fortunately be literally thousands of dollars richer, so I'll find a way to manage my disappointment for not being able to actually support them, probably through buying shows from other companies whose heads aren't stuck twenty feet up their collective rear end.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Look, here's the thing everyone in this thread needs to remember: Japanese license holders do not give even a single poo poo about anyone outside of Japan.

I would even go so far as to say their obviously retarded tactics in the states were designed to fail miserably so they can just go "see, it didn't work, Americans just won't buy stuff!" and then peace the gently caress out. Though, I guess ultimately most of this goes back to the loss of nearly all of the domestic licensors due to retarded business practices in the early-mid 00s. Japanese companies, even if we're talking about their US subsidiaries, really don't care about US consumers and have 0 incentive to help us out.

They view us as more trouble than we're worth. Reverse importation is actually really common, but the thing is, the people reverse importing wouldn't have bought the retardedly priced poo poo anyway. At best they might have rented it or bought it second hand from Mandarake (really I think the used goods market is probably more of a threat than reverse importation, but no one's gonna touch that).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

fivegears4reverse posted:

Acting as though the pricing is merely 'higher' without placing extreme emphasis around it is kinda hard for me to accept. The market isn't going to expand or improve by taking well-loved series like KnK or Fate 'One Of The Best Shows Across Two Seasons' Zero and throwing them at us in stupidly overpriced limited import editions, while then throwing the rest of the poors/well-adjusted individuals a bargain DVD collection as a token 'gently caress You, you don't submit yourself to draconian pricing practices, enjoy your scraps'. How about some more BD releases that don't include the completely inane and insane poo poo most people don't need to have on display?

Again. Do you know who they are targeting with those releases? PEOPLE WHO WOULD IMPORT ANYWAY. Those releases are in no way for normal casual fans and believe it or not, there people who actively engage in that. The release was supposed to be "highly limited" but it's still actively available for order, and maybe shows that they really aren't moving and that there's less fans that are willing to pay those prices than they thought. You're also acting like if this wasn't happening, we would have had Fate/Zero BD's with english dub's sometime soon after the Japanese release, which is pure conjecture on your part, as you're assuming Aniplex of Japan wouldn't try to dick over any US company anyway. Which would more than likely happen because Japanese companies like to be dicks.

They are absolutely engaging in Japanese-style business practices, if not strictly by the actual prices themselves, then through the mentality that drives them. They know that they will absolutely get some extra sales out of people with more money and love for an anime than they have actual financial sense, which is kinda what the Japanese companies are doing over there. That they got 'one' show right doesn't exactly excuse the fact that we're essentially being told to get excited over a reasonably priced (maybe!) KnK DVD release in the Blu-Ray thread. It's kinda funny, because in one of your posts not long before this one, you correctly state that the Japanese know that they'll hardly get anyone outside of Japan to spend a stupid amount of cash for a show (maybe just enough to sell through an exceedingly limited stock of 'imports' specially set aside to take advantage of people who have the money to burn), but then they recently announced each season of Fate/Zero to hit the wallet for roughly $400 bucks apiece.

They hardly do get a big amount of people to spend that money (as the still in stock Fate/Zero which was supposedly "highly limited" shows us). Your whole argument seems to be "They charge more because they're selling less copies so they're actively engaging in Japanese business practices" is honestly hard to argue against because with that logic, anything that's above Funimation's/Sentai's pricing is actively engaging in that. If that's your claim, I'd guess you'd be right, and I mean, Aniplex USA is a branch of a Japanese company so I guess you'd be even more right that they do that. I think the question really should be though "Is it as bad as people claim" and I'd say no.

I find that paying a higher price (It'd be 50$ for 26-27 episodes of Durara than for 24-26 episodes of Funimation Blu-Rays) is more preferable to paying a lower price and getting something that's complete poo poo quality-wise (See the new company releasing Galaxy Express 999 series with hardsubs and stream quality picture, or their release of Bobobo which is Dub only or in Japanese but no subtitles and you have to read from a script! But hey, 31 dollars for 38 episodes, WHAT A BARGAIN!).

We'll probably never even see a dub of it, which is hilarious. The cost of a dub is hardly any excuse. I mean goddamn, I paid 30 bucks a DVD for special editions of all of GiTS:SAC back in the day, got a dub out of it, still ultimately paid LESS for MORE than Aniplex is offering here. Maybe they just want me to say "Thank you" and walk on my way.

So wait, you're comparing this strictly to the imports, right? Because look at this, you paid 30$ a DVD for GiTS, at 7 discs each, which comes to 210$ after all is said and done. Yet, the 150$ that Aniplex now wants for the Baccano LE BD is them fleecing us? Sure, compared to modern day pricing it's high, but it's still better than what we paid during the days before the bubble burst.

As far as never seeing a dub for Fate/Zero, that's purely speculation on your part. We'll see how that plays out.

Aniplex is hardly defensible, and I wouldn't feel too broken up if they suffered the same fate Bandai suffered here in the US. They've certainly managed to make themselves more deserving of it in a shockingly short amount of time. The only bad thing that would come out of it is that we miss out on proper releases of some shows, and an rear end in a top hat businessman will think and wholeheartedly believe "Those silly westerners don't want to buy my show for retarded amounts of money? I guess there's no interest in anime outside of Japan." Not once will they even stop to consider the possibility that their business practices, both in the production of and sales of anime, are possibly at fault.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1139619&start=120

There are people who are so desperate to whiteknight for this company, they call releases like the Durarara BD 'high but approachable'. They say that people bitch about the prices, despite being cheaper than they are in Japan, because we've been 'spoiled' by companies like Funimation releasing their poo poo at far more reasonable price points. I suppose they're right. I'll fortunately be literally thousands of dollars richer, so I'll find a way to manage my disappointment for not being able to actually support them, probably through buying shows from other companies whose heads aren't stuck twenty feet up their collective rear end.

So, he claims that the price for the Durarara set is indeed high, but affordable? I would agree. As I pointed out, it's only 50$ more than what Funimation charges for a 24-26 set of episodes. So while definitely higher, I don't think that they're pricing it completely out of range. I guess I'm whiteknighting too?

Yes, They're more expensive and yes, I would LOVE if their releases were more priced in line with Funimation and some other companies (I'm not talking the imports either, I've never bought those and am perfectly fine waiting for a proper domestic release which I feel will happen in time, if others aren't that's their own problem) but if they release something I really want, if I feel that the slightly higher price is justified by the quality I know I'm getting, I will gladly purchase it.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Man, I had no idea about the Person 4 Blu-Ray fiasco until this thread saved me from wasting money on it. Thanks!

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Okay, when there's a cheaper, non-premium option to get those series on BD, then I'll agree with you completely, but they're actively trying to inflate prices on catalog titles. I probably paid close to that price for ROD the TV + OVA single DVDs seven years ago, but that was a different market and, well, seven years ago. And yeah, Baccano is an outlier (the only set from them I've purchased).

With the import titles, yes they're aimed at people who would import anyway--they're also products selling at Japanese prices in a US-based store. I know where you're coming from and I completely and totally respect your opinion on this, but to me that counts as "do[ing] their best to bring Japanese style pricing to US releases." Again, I'll have no problem with this at all if they follow up on the imports with reasonably priced BD sets a year or two down the line (but KnK being DVD-only for now is a worrying sign).

quote:

So wait, you're comparing this strictly to the imports, right? Because look at this, you paid 30$ a DVD for GiTS, at 7 discs each, which comes to 210$ after all is said and done. Yet, the 150$ that Aniplex now wants for the Baccano LE BD is them fleecing us? Sure, compared to modern day pricing it's high, but it's still better than what we paid during the days before the bubble burst.

Yeah, but pre-2007ish or so that was really the only business model around, and we paid those prices because there was no other option. The market has moved on from every 26-episode series costing $150+ and it's a bit annoying to have a company trying to drag us back to that. Sure it's not as bad as the old "walk through the snow uphill both ways to Suncoast to pay $30 for a VHS tape with 2-3 subbed episodes" ways, but saying "but it used to be worse!!" is a silly argument in my eyes. R1 pricing has gotten way better and I want it to stay that way. Hell, the only reason I got back into the hobby was because of free legal streaming and cheap (compared to ~ye olden dayes~) BDs.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

R1 pricing has gotten way better and I want it to stay that way.

And it is going to for the most part. Most companies won't go back because they know they can't, and really Aniplex is just filling a small "boutique" line where they don't have much but they add bells and whistles onto it to justify the higher pricing. Funimation/Sentai will remain on top and Aniplex is really such a niche player in an already niche market that there's no way R1 pricing will go in that direction based on what they're doing. They will never, ever influence the market in that fashion and that's why I'm not worried one bit about what they're doing. Kara No Kyoukai sold out, but Fate/Zero's still on shelves despite being "highly limited" so I'm not going to hold my breath on the whole import thing taking off.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Black Stones posted:

And it is going to for the most part. Most companies won't go back because they know they can't, and really Aniplex is just filling a small "boutique" line where they don't have much but they add bells and whistles onto it to justify the higher pricing. Funimation/Sentai will remain on top and Aniplex is really such a niche player in an already niche market that there's no way R1 pricing will go in that direction based on what they're doing. They will never, ever influence the market in that fashion and that's why I'm not worried one bit about what they're doing. Kara No Kyoukai sold out, but Fate/Zero's still on shelves despite being "highly limited" so I'm not going to hold my breath on the whole import thing taking off.

'Aniplex filling a small boutique line' is actually code for 'Aniplex willfully tanking the potential success of multiple shows outside of Japan because they are actively engaging in Japanese style business practices'. This really shouldn't be up for debate, it is what it is. Hopefully, you're right, and this whole garbage with Aniplex doesn't go back to the old days.

Sure, they'll fool some people into spending 200+ bucks on Madoka. They might even eventually sell through those Fate Zero boxes, people did buy out the KnK boxes in the end. The problem now is that by dragging their asses on getting a more reasonable release out on shelves, they only further drive up the incentive for potential customers to get their fix elsewhere, either via free legal streams or just torrenting. The former, not so bad, it's legal. The latter is something companies like Funimation and Sentai have been struggling to combat in spite of their pricing and release schedules. I am in no way saying they are perfect, but they are trying to get more people buying stuff. Aniplex really isn't.

I mean, it's great that Aniplex is trying to fill some sort of niche, I guess. We do miss out on some legitimately cool stuff from the Japanese releases of shows all the time. It's just not a niche that should be exclusively addressed at the cost of servicing other customers. The person who enjoys spending 400 bucks on HALF of a show should be treated as the minority they are. There's no reason to cater primarily to them, especially if the sales numbers aren't so great!

You can have your special editions release at the same time as your regular editions: GitS pulled it off, hell back in the bad old days lots of shows released their overprices special editions and their 'reasonably priced' (hahahahahahahahaha) regular editions simultaneously. The only reason it's not getting done for a show like Fate Zero is because if they released a regular BD pack of Fate Zero's two seasons side by side, they'd probably sell even fewer of the special editions than they already have. They absolutely know what they are doing is crazy, and they're hoping there are enough fans out there who will throw their money away by purposefully limiting the options available to them.

Some anecdotal bullshit: Only recently have I seen the five Gundam Unicorn episodes. I can't justify spending sixty bucks a pop for episodes that average maybe an hour. Luckily for me, one of my friends apparently can, and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't properly know how entertaining that show is. Thanks to him, I don't need to buy any Unicorn. Yeah, I'm one guy, my impact on the industry is extremely minimal, "boohoo I'm not buying five discs :jerkbag:". However, I don't think I'm the only person who passes up on buying something that is absurdly overpriced these days. How many people are going to pass up on buying a show like Fate Zero, or other shows that are falling under this scheme? It's so self-destructive it's actually kinda depressing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some anecdotal bullshit: Only recently have I seen the five Gundam Unicorn episodes. I can't justify spending sixty bucks a pop for episodes that average maybe an hour. Luckily for me, one of my friends apparently can, and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't properly know how entertaining that show is. Thanks to him, I don't need to buy any Unicorn. Yeah, I'm one guy, my impact on the industry is extremely minimal, "boohoo I'm not buying five discs :jerkbag:". However, I don't think I'm the only person who passes up on buying something that is absurdly overpriced these days. How many people are going to pass up on buying a show like Fate Zero, or other shows that are falling under this scheme? It's so self-destructive it's actually kinda depressing.

What you might not have yet realized is that Japan is perfectly fine that. Bandai is dead in north america. If you want to watch episodes 6 and 7 of unicorn you are going to have to import those Blu-Rays from Japan.

Oh and just to let you know. You can rent/download Unicorn from PSN and xbox live as well I think. For a much more reasonable price. So there is a legal way to watch it that doesn't cost $70+ if you care.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 7, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The only reason it's not getting done for a show like Fate Zero is because if they released a regular BD pack of Fate Zero's two seasons side by side, they'd probably sell even fewer of the special editions than they already have. They absolutely know what they are doing is crazy, and they're hoping there are enough fans out there who will throw their money away by purposefully limiting the options available to them.

There also has has NEVER been a day 1 simultaneous release of BD's released in Japan and North America (Maaaaybe Kurokami? That release was hosed up anyway). If that import wasn't being offered, you know what we would have? Nothing. We'd still have to wait well over a year or more for a normal priced BD release (That's not gimped, because doing it within a year's frame tends to have Persona 4 bullshit attached) because that's how the Japanese companies will always operate.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

The Black Stones posted:

There also has has NEVER been a day 1 simultaneous release of BD's released in Japan and North America (Maaaaybe Kurokami? That release was hosed up anyway). If that import wasn't being offered, you know what we would have? Nothing. We'd still have to wait well over a year or more for a normal priced BD release (That's not gimped, because doing it within a year's frame tends to have Persona 4 bullshit attached) because that's how the Japanese companies will always operate.

Tell that to Gundam Unicorn.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

Tell that to Gundam Unicorn.

Which is also labelled as an import with high pricing? A little rephrase would help, there's never been a US licensed release from a company like Funimation/Sentai, and a Japanese release BD offered at the exact same time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

The Black Stones posted:

Which is also labelled as an import with high pricing? A little rephrase would help, there's never been a US licensed release from a company like Funimation/Sentai, and a Japanese release BD offered at the exact same time.

It's actually not an import. Were it an import, it would be so tagged, like this. The NA cover has English text, and it's cheaper than the Japanese version, despite being exactly the same disc. This was hilarious when the Bandai Entertainment store existed and they sold the game (implying that it was US release) as well as linking to Amazon for buying the import version, for more money. This actually implies that it was a Bandai Entertainment release back when Bandai Entertainment existed to release things, even though their Blu-ray division was run entirely by the former Bandai Visual USA for a couple years.

None of this makes sense, but it is a thing that happened, and therefore not never.

This also means that even Japan knows that they can get away with at least some cost cutting versus their own hideously expensive releases, they're simply choosing not to in any situation other than the one whose success signaled to the mothership that this was a viable strategy in the first place.

This is absurd.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Black Stones posted:

In your desperation to justify highway robbery, you completely misread what I posted. I wasn't even talking about simultaneous Blu Ray releases in the US and Japan. Not even close. I can't even begin to imagine how you even got that idea stuck in your head.

What I was saying is that the only reason we're not seeing a regular scaled down release of Fate Zero (for the normal people) being released simultaneously with the limited edition Fool Box (which is something companies like Bandai used to do with their own shows, notably again, GitS) is because they're taking advantage, or at least trying to take advantage of the fact that there are desperate people out there who need their animes and are willing to pay that kind of money. By setting up these 'import boxes', they're not actually attempting to expand the market. They're simply trying to convince a portion of the market outside of Japan that the business practices that are barely sustainable over there are just something we ought to get used to if we want to have shows within a reasonable time frame.

Not to mention, this whole 'Oh it's an import box' bullshit doesn't exactly fly when for a couple shows (notably Madoka) they've been able and willing to produce a dub for it before trying to throw that poo poo at our faces for well over the market norm. The only added value there is that you get to proudly state on a forum somewhere that you got ripped off buying the discs so you can watch at anytime a little girl take a whole season of animation to finally friendzone a stalker. They have managed to take a 12 episode show and split it across three Blu Rays at 40 bucks a pop for the 'regular edition' discs. That's still absurd no matter how you try to justify it.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 8, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

None of this makes sense, but it is a thing that happened, and therefore not never.

Okay. You have one. What does that change? Not much, because it just means my wording was poo poo and if I said "next to never" I would have been right. It's nitpicking at this point.

Also, it wasn't a Bandai Entertainment release. It's Honneamise which, which is why even after Bandai folded they still release Gundam Unicorn because they're pretty much just an arm of the main Japanese company and as such don't have to deal with licensing to a third party and can actually co-ordinate that (notice how the DVD only discs stopped getting released and were labelled Bandai Entertainment?). So my point still stands where a 3rd party licensor like Funimation/Sentai/Nozomi/NISA won't be doing day/date releases because they don't have that connection.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

In your desperation to justify highway robbery, you completely misread what I posted. I wasn't even talking about simultaneous Blu Ray releases in the US and Japan. Not even close. I can't even begin to imagine how you even got that idea stuck in your head.

What I was saying is that the only reason we're not seeing a regular scaled down release of Fate Zero (for the normal people) being released simultaneously with the limited edition Fool Box (which is something companies like Bandai used to do with their own shows, notably again, GitS) is because they're taking advantage, or at least trying to take advantage of the fact that there are desperate people out there who need their animes and are willing to pay that kind of money. By setting up these 'import boxes', they're not actually attempting to expand the market. They're simply trying to convince a portion of the market outside of Japan that the business practices that have are barely sustainable over there are just something we ought to get used to if we want to have shows within a reasonable time frame.

Gee, I dunno. Because that whole first part of that second paragraph there is utter poo poo and that sounds exactly like you want day/date simultaneous release or close to it? The only reason we're not seeing a regular scaled down release is because we wouldn't have one regardless, not because the import box is stopping it. As I said, that import box is aiming at the crowd of people who are impatient, who wouldn't wait regardless, and would have imported whether or not this was in place. Maybe because of the ease of it they got a small chunk more who just didn't want to deal with the hassle of ordering from Amazon.JP, but we would have never have seen a domestic Blu-Ray release at this point even without that box being offered and that's the truth. Things would just remain the same old status quo where things would take well to a year after the Japanese release. I don't know why you think Fate/Zero is any different.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

The Black Stones posted:

Okay. You have one. What does that change? Not much, because it just means my wording was poo poo and if I said "next to never" I would have been right. It's nitpicking at this point.

If you get to white knight the awful decisions of massive foreign corporations, I get to nitpick you for details.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know why you think Fate/Zero is any different.

Personally, I'm ready to prepare for the worst, ie AoA saying "well we gave you a BD release already, so we're going to put out a cheaper DVD set and be done with it." We don't know yet what their long-term plans are for these series, and I don't have a problem with assuming that they'll gently caress it up given the long history of Japanese companies meddling with NA releases. Plus, you know, this whole tangent got started because the Aniplex-produced Persona 4 series will have no Japanese track on its NA BDs.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Personally, I'm ready to prepare for the worst, ie AoA saying "well we gave you a BD release already, so we're going to put out a cheaper DVD set and be done with it." We don't know yet what their long-term plans are for these series, and I don't have a problem with assuming that they'll gently caress it up given the long history of Japanese companies meddling with NA releases. Plus, you know, this whole tangent got started because the Aniplex-produced Persona 4 series will have no Japanese track on its NA BDs.

Oh, it's definitely possible they could gently caress it all up and, well, I won't be surprised if it does. Japanese companies love to gently caress things up all the time (there's apparently one company out there saying they don't license BD's at all). But anyone assuming that if those import sets didn't exist we would have had a BD release anytime now is laughably wrong. There's no way they'll just sit on a license if they don't like the terms for releasing it here, right? *Looks at Legend of the Galactic Heroes*

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone here happen to know why The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is no longer (easily) available on Blu? It's going for ridiculous prices on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Leapt-Th...hrough+time+blu. Tangentially, anyone know if this is going to get reprinted anytime?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone here happen to know why The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is no longer (easily) available on Blu? It's going for ridiculous prices on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Leapt-Th...hrough+time+blu. Tangentially, anyone know if this is going to get reprinted anytime?

Because Bandai Entertainment is dead. They're technically not dead dead, so it's possible that old materials such as this could get print runs (there will be no new products), but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Fate/zero's situation is particularly baffling since it's one of the only Aniplex shows I'm aware of that's been simulcast. They apparently gave a poo poo about it doing well internationally at first, what the hell possessed them to do a 180 on that after?

Personally I have a feeling they're planning to work on a dub in the future and just releasing the more-or-less import boxes to tide the crazy people over until that's done since it costs them next to nothing to do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At this point Japan as an economic power might as well be Jupiter for all the sense they make.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has there been any word on a collector's edition of the new Berserk movie bluray in the US? Apparently we're getting one here in the UK but there's no details yet on what's in it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Has there been any word on a collector's edition of the new Berserk movie bluray in the US? Apparently we're getting one here in the UK but there's no details yet on what's in it.

No. Viz has already solicted a release for it (Nov.27th) and it's going to just be a standard release. I'd be surprised if Viz does one, but they still have some time to do it if they wanted to.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Madman have stated that if they can not release Persona 4 BR with the Japanese Audio then they'll not bother. (Presumably they'll still release the DVD)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
:siren: Sentai Filmworks has licensed PenguinDrum for DVD and Blu-Ray! :siren:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Just came here to post the same poo poo, man if this news is legit this will be a nice Christmas present to myself.

Crunchyroll article

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Sentai Filmworks licensed Fate/Stay Night and is giving it a Blu-Ray release. Don't really care to upgrade my DVD for that one.

Bodacious Space Pirates is getting first BD release in January and Mardock Scramble Second Compression is coming out then too.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Apparently, the Utena remaster is being released on Bluray now: http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist__000000000013179/item__5168665

I knew it. Seems like the contents are pretty much identical to the DVD release, just it's in HD (no idea if it's an upscale, the description says they "used the HD telecine master created for the DVD [remaster]" whatever that means). I wonder if it'll get brought over stateside eventually.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Good_Haro posted:

Apparently, the Utena remaster is being released on Bluray now: http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist__000000000013179/item__5168665

I knew it. Seems like the contents are pretty much identical to the DVD release, just it's in HD (no idea if it's an upscale, the description says they "used the HD telecine master created for the DVD [remaster]" whatever that means). I wonder if it'll get brought over stateside eventually.

It means the previous remaster was in HD all along, and they downscaled it for the DVD. It's clearly a cel animated show, so this isn't at all surprising since they bothered to remaster it at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2004787&postcount=12

Comparison shots for the Giant Robo blu-ray. Looks pretty great!

I really hope this gets a US release though I'd be incredibly surprised if it did.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 6, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone own the legend of the millennium dragon? It looks pretty cool and i only just heard about it.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Uh... why haven't I seen anyone in here mention that Lain is apparently being released in the west on Bluray now as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-Experiments-Lain-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B008YRL5V4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352061636&sr=8-1&keywords=lain
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/hgZqbBFiuFL8a50SpN/browse/item/96150/4/0/0

Amazon has the release date as 27 November, which is pretty soon!
I'm quite happy about this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, Lain, Utena and Giant Robo would be great on Bluray, chance of them getting a UK release: zero at this point. :britain:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'd like to think it balances out because you guys get ghibli blu rays at decent pace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Totoro and Castle of Cagliostro are out in 7 days. :chord:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.king-gainer.net/

Looks like Overman King Gainer blu-rays are coming out in March :hellyeah:

Can't wait to enjoy that opening in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97j86qH91Nk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I had the hardest drat time trying to find dvds for that show. Everywhere I went, even the used video store I worked at, you could only ever find the first two volumes. I hope this heads over here because I enjoyed what little I saw.

• Locked thread