Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

iv46vi posted:

Why stop at 5-7k for an NA?
Don't you know that cars are sound investments, for example:

etc

With that low mileage, you might even get lucky to discover short crank problem all by yourself.

Isn't that a really horrible way to store the car? I thought I had heard this messes up the suspension geometry after time and you'll need to replace just about everything to get it right again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

From thumbnail mode on my phone I thought someone had plasticized a pepperoni, drilled and tapped it, and installed it as a shifter :)

This made me laugh. I would be so stoked if someone did that.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Easiest (not fastest) way to do a powersteering flush is to siphon, replace, steer steer steer, repeat right?

EDIT: Also, I read that flooring the throttle an turning the key makes the car crank but not start. Totally not true. At least on my OBD2 1997.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ziploc posted:

EDIT: Also, I read that flooring the throttle an turning the key makes the car crank but not start. Totally not true. At least on my OBD2 1997.

Never heard of that for any car. I think someone was messing with you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On a lot of cars, that triggers an anti flood mode, where the injectors are shut off until the computer sees the engine fire up. The ones I can think of had a minimum time that you have to hold the throttle down for.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

craig588 posted:

Never heard of that for any car. I think someone was messing with you.

My Mazdaspeed3 does this. I like using it after I change the oil to circulate some so I don't have to start it bone dry

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It works on our 04. I also use it after oil changes.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Many EFI systems have an cranking pulsewidth shut-off feature at 100%TPS for flood clear purposes.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So how long do I need to hold it down prior to starting then? For curiosity sake.

Anyone do a power steering fluid change?

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Ziploc posted:

So how long do I need to hold it down prior to starting then? For curiosity sake.

Anyone do a power steering fluid change?

Probably like 0.01 seconds - any time the throttle is WOT, the injectors won't fire if the car isn't already running.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Savington posted:

Probably like 0.01 seconds - any time the throttle is WOT, the injectors won't fire if the car isn't already running.

Nah. That didn't work this morning. WOT, key to run, step on clutch. Was the sequence and it started right up.

Someone answer my power steering fluid question! Using a hand pump is the best way? How do I know I've thoroughly flushed it? I'm going from stock to Redline power steering fluid.

Hopefully this takes care of the AutoX cavitation problems. (Everyone on m.net says it will)

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 21, 2012

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Anyone have any experience replacing a door and rear quarter panel on an NB? An uninsured landscaping truck did this to my car on Monday:

And the local cops hosed up the investigation by ordering us to move our vehicles from the scene of the accident before the highway patrol could arrive and do the report. As a result the trooper that filed the crash report couldn't cite the driver that hit me, and since I don't have collision coverage, I'm kind of hosed.

A shop quoted me $2400, but I'm curious if it's something I could do myself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sue the cops + the idiot who hit you.

e: call Saul

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ziploc posted:

Nah. That didn't work this morning. WOT, key to run, step on clutch. Was the sequence and it started right up.

Bad TPS maybe? It never sends a '100%' signal? Just a guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My 94 did the same. I was trying to prime it after a winter slumber and it started right up.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I've just bought a 2001 SE with 70,000 miles on it. It's ~800 miles away in oregon, so my dad is flying there tomorrow morning to finalize the paperwork, at which point he'll drive it down and pick me up at sacramento airport (much cheaper ticket) and from there we'll take it all the way back to san diego.

Since all we have is the sellers word for it that it runs and is in excellent condition, I predict this is going to be either a really fun experience or a hilarious disaster.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Bad TPS maybe? It never sends a '100%' signal? Just a guess.

I have a Scanguage. What is the value for 100%?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

100 miles of backroads to get acquainted with my new 97M today. Holy lord why did I wait so long to get one of these.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

DEO3 posted:

Anyone have any experience replacing a door and rear quarter panel on an NB? An uninsured landscaping truck did this to my car on Monday:

And the local cops hosed up the investigation by ordering us to move our vehicles from the scene of the accident before the highway patrol could arrive and do the report. As a result the trooper that filed the crash report couldn't cite the driver that hit me, and since I don't have collision coverage, I'm kind of hosed.

A shop quoted me $2400, but I'm curious if it's something I could do myself.

Uhh - $2400 that seems really cheap given the amount of damage. You could not fix that yourself if you want it to look like not poo poo.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Getting ready to buy a power steering rack/pump, any reason I should be concerned about it sitting for 2 years before they guy decided to sell it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Run with a depowered rack, like a (third) man.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

opengl128 posted:

100 miles of backroads to get acquainted with my new 97M today. Holy lord why did I wait so long to get one of these.

I hope to have this feeling soon, but WINTER IS COMING and I feel like it's going to be next spring before I can do this. In summary : Jealous.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Phone posted:

Run with a depowered rack, like a (third) man.

Agreeed, I have a depowered rack right now and think its fun to drive a car that doesn't coddle you as you drive. Not sure if I would want depowered if I were tracking it though, might get tiring.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Past 5-10mph, it's just as easy to drive as a powered car.

It's the parking lot speeds that give you a workout.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Welp, some old rear end in a top hat totaled my miata today by turning left out of the right hand lane in front of me. I'll have pics later, but I had this car less than 6 months. It's so gutting.

edit:

Korwen fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 24, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) Look on the bright side, the car did it's job and you're still alive to post about it.

2) Not your fault so hopefully the other guy's insurance can cover buying you another Miata?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My DD has been on the disabled list for a few weeks now so I've been driving my 93LE instead. There's some guilt there because it's really low mileage but of course it's a blast most of the time. The real problem, and it may be worse in this case due to the stiffer chassis and shocks of the LE, the ride is go-kart harsh. If the roads in your area are nice it's no big deal but most of the greater Denver area's roads are terrible. I guess I'm wondering if people who DD their Miatas have nice roads or just deal with it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Replace the shocks? The suspension is pretty soft on a Miata.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

FatCow posted:

Replace the shocks? The suspension is pretty soft on a Miata.
The LE has bilsteins and there's only 19k miles on the car. It's harsh as hell.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

My car was pretty harsh on rough roads, the only car I've driven that was worse was my old man's Lotus. If you're on a rough road, I would expect a bumpy ride.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
The miata purchase and road trip was a definite success.

800+ miles worth of bugs:

Size comparison with what used to be my daily commuting vehicle, I'm still getting used to having to look up at every other car on the road:

The only thing I'm unhappy with about the car is the weird ipod dock that had been installed (removed and sitting in front of the shifter in that picture):

It looks like whoever did it just machine screwed the mounting and toggle switch directly to the dash. While I like having a 3.5mm jack to plug things into, the sound quality from this one is pretty bad. There's also a jumbled mess of wires covered in electrical tape behind that box, which when combined with those machine screws makes me a little suspicious about the quality of the installation. A space to stick my sunglasses is preferable over a crappy audio input, so next step is probably figuring out how to take all of that apart and then either remove or redo the wiring job.

edit: changed images to thumbnails

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Korwen posted:

Welp, some old rear end in a top hat totaled my miata today by turning left out of the right hand lane in front of me. I'll have pics later, but I had this car less than 6 months. It's so gutting.

edit:

Part it out and make some money off it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

So the chrome is flaking a little on some of my wheels, one of them appears to have a really slow leak at the bead because of it. The car sat for around 5 days and the rear driver's side tire was nearly flat. Anyway, I was airing it up and figured I may as well check the others since I haven't since I bought it.

Front driver's side: 60+ PSI (as high as my gauge would go)
Front passenger's side: 24 PSI
Rear passenger's side: 55 PSI

:psyduck:

No wonder this thing was skipping all over the road and felt hard as a rock. I just thought that was how Miata's drove. Brought them all to ~30 PSI and it feels so much better. God damned PO's!!

Gonna take the one wheel that wasn't holding air to a tire shop tomorrow, and have them grind the bead and reseat with some sealant, hopefully it holds.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

opengl128 posted:

So the chrome is flaking a little on some of my wheels, one of them appears to have a really slow leak at the bead because of it. The car sat for around 5 days and the rear driver's side tire was nearly flat. Anyway, I was airing it up and figured I may as well check the others since I haven't since I bought it.

Front driver's side: 60+ PSI (as high as my gauge would go)
Front passenger's side: 24 PSI
Rear passenger's side: 55 PSI

:psyduck:

No wonder this thing was skipping all over the road and felt hard as a rock. I just thought that was how Miata's drove. Brought them all to ~30 PSI and it feels so much better. God damned PO's!!

Gonna take the one wheel that wasn't holding air to a tire shop tomorrow, and have them grind the bead and reseat with some sealant, hopefully it holds.

:drat: My car handles like poo poo when ever the tire place inflates my tires to 35 psi (which would be every time I go to the tire place). I can't even imagine how bad 60+ psi would be.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

So yeah..took the wheel that wasn't holding air to the tire shop, it was a little worse than I thought.

They did the best they could with sealant, but it probably won't hold. Anyone have a lead on some NA or NB 15x6 or 15x6.5 wheels? Preferably NOT chrome.

opengl fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 26, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does that even happen? Salt water gets in there, or someone trying to put a tire on with a pry bar?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's just lovely chrome plating on alloy, it flakes and moisture gets in.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

On the plus side the suspension looks drat good, surprisingly rust free for a northeast car with nearly 147k, and nothing looks particularly badly worn. Gonna give everything up front a closer look when I do pads/rotors all around next week.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

opengl128 posted:

So yeah..took the wheel that wasn't holding air to the tire shop, it was a little worse than I thought.

They did the best they could with sealant, but it probably won't hold. Anyone have a lead on some NA or NB 15x6 or 15x6.5 wheels? Preferably NOT chrome.

If you're in south florida i can get you some, otherwise just look on craigslist, they turn up all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug
So I caught the Miata bug after searching around for a Toyota MR2 which was my first crush. My old man would rant and rave about wanting a Miata and after I had mentioned to him that I was interested in getting one, he as since been calling me daily to see if I got one yet or not. Regardless, I'm looking on input when it comes to price and what to expect on a used 2000's model one.

There's a few in my area and I've been eyeing up the following one:
http://mcadams-car-co.ebizautos.com/detail-2000-mazda-miata-ls-used-9083288.html

The site claims its a 2000 LS, although it has cloth seats which I find odd because I had thought the LS comes with leather. With 83K for mileage, they're asking $7850.00 - offer bargaining aside, does this seem reasonable for a 12 year old Miata?

I'm planning to at least go and check it out this week if its still around.