Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

There is a list somewhere in this thread of livestreams for NFL games. Can I get that posted again and maybe added to the OP? I really don't want to look through 40 pages for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ogmius815 posted:

There is a list somewhere in this thread of livestreams for NFL games. Can I get that posted again and maybe added to the OP? I really don't want to look through 40 pages for it.

Thefirstrow.eu

It will always be there. Save it to your browser and don't be lazy.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Thefirstrow.eu

It will always be there. Save it to your browser and don't be lazy.

Well to be fair my harddrive crashed and I lost my bookmarks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ogmius815 posted:

Well to be fair my harddrive crashed and I lost my bookmarks.

Fair enough. I just feel like I've answered that question a dozen times in the last week.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Does anybody know why teams normally play their starters more in the 3rd preseason game, besides just tradition?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Does anybody know why teams normally play their starters more in the 3rd preseason game, besides just tradition?

They call it the "dress rehearsal" game and tend to install or at least try some packages they will use in the regular season. The 4th game is usually a dud because it is team's last chance to evaluate the roster before they begin final cuts.

The third game's placement within the preseason is the main reason. the first two games the rookies aren't going to be up to speed, they want to do more basic packages to ease them into playing football again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
First pre-season game is just to get everyone up to game speed and used to playing with (lol) refs and subbing in and out and such. The starters play for a bit and then leave to avoid injury.

The 2nd game is where they typically run specific plays or get a guy a certain amount of snaps. Its where they want to try and determine starters at most positions. This is the game where they might try and experiment as well with new positions and such. They may also run the smae play 9-10 times simply to see which players understand it or run it best, or if its a staple of the offence, to make sure everyone knows what they are doing.

The 3rd is the "dress rehearsal" game as it was said. Its not the last, so it give the clear starters time to rest until the start of the season. But here, you should have all your starters figured out, and they should be up to game form before they are pulled. This is your best shot of seeing what the team will be like. Also, despite them opening the playbook a little more, the playcalling is still going to be conservative, or at the very least one dimensional.

The last game is cutting the roster. It actually can be one of the best because guys are literally on the field fighting for jobs. Most teams will be figuring out RB#3, WR 4/5/6, who the backup nickel CB is, things like that. Meanwhile, the starters may or may not play a series, but mostly are learning, advising, and staying healthy for week 1.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hey, can anyone explain to me or link to an explanation as to why the NFL doesn't have minor leagues like other sports? Please don't make CFL or Arena Football jokes, I'm serious.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Diqnol posted:

Hey, can anyone explain to me or link to an explanation as to why the NFL doesn't have minor leagues like other sports? Please don't make CFL or Arena Football jokes, I'm serious.

Because the NCAA does it for them and gives better publicity than a normal minor league. The NFL also doesn't have to pay a dime.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kibner posted:

Because the NCAA does it for them and gives better publicity than a normal minor league. The NFL also doesn't have to pay a dime.

The NFL also ensures that the NCAA is the de facto minor league by having the "can't enter the draft until 3 years out from highschool" rule. Also, they have pacts (I am not sure if they are written and legally binding, or just a gentlemen's agreement) that they rarely if ever show games at the same time. Thursday night football is really the only overlap, and that is a relatively new thing. Even the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl were moved to Jan 2nd this year, because January 1st was a Sunday.

Oh, Thanksgiving games also overlap, but otherwise the leagues don't try to compete.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Diqnol posted:

The NFL has tried to run minor leagues many times. They've always been financial failures. The main problem is that football is so physically taxing that player careers are relatively short. You can't work your way up for three or four years before making it big, because by then your career is nearly over.

Professional football started decades after college football was established as a major spectator sport. Early professional teams weren't taken seriously and had trouble getting established because too many fans already had loyalties to college teams. It wasn't until the '50s that the NFL was recognized as a clearly superior product to the college game. In the end, college football took care of the nurturing and sorting of talent that professional football needed.

In contrast, college baseball has never been a particularly big spectator draw and professional baseball clubs had little competition for high school talent until fairly recently. The farm system began as a way of funneling that talent into the professional teams, and with its longer season baseball can make money with far fewer spectators per game. Baseball careers are also far longer, so a system can take a kid from high school and groom him for five or six years to get him ready for the majors.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Zone of Danger posted:

I think NFL gamepass is equivalent to mlb.tv. They black out games that are available on TV locally, and you can watch those games 6 days later in their archives, so that might be what she means.

It's supposed to be available in Canada as well, but it's redirecting me to an 'unavailable' site right now. Check http://gamepass.nfl.com/ for more information

Thanks for the reply. I found the relevant section on their website:
"For users living in the UK and Republic of Ireland:

Weekly blackout restrictions apply to all subscriptions (Season Plus, Season, Monthly, Weekly, and Follow Your Team) for locally televised games during both the 1pm ET and 4pm ET game windows on Sunday. These live game broadcasts will be blacked out in your area while the game is in progress. You will be able to watch them in the NFL Game Pass archives six (6) days after their conclusion. These blackout restrictions apply to the Condensed Game archives of the selected games as well. Monday, Thursday and Sunday Night games as well as U.S. Thanksgiving Day games will not be subject to black outs in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Additional game restrictions may be added throughout the season due to regional broadcast rights."

Which sucks a bit. Live feeds it will have to be for her on sundays.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 24, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: wrong thread

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So during last nights Seahawks game after Russell Wilson came out of the game in the third quarter I saw him on the sidelines with both elbows wrapped entirely in ice. I've never seen that before so I wanted to make sure, that's standard protocol for a qb after the game, right? And if so, why was it both elbows and not just his throwing arm?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Chichevache posted:

So during last nights Seahawks game after Russell Wilson came out of the game in the third quarter I saw him on the sidelines with both elbows wrapped entirely in ice. I've never seen that before so I wanted to make sure, that's standard protocol for a qb after the game, right? And if so, why was it both elbows and not just his throwing arm?
I could be totally wrong, but I believe tennis elbow is caused by inflammation and ice helps prevent that. Not sure why he would have to ice both though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cole posted:

I could be totally wrong, but I believe tennis elbow is caused by inflammation and ice helps prevent that. Not sure why he would have to ice both though.

I realize ice baths are a regular thing, but seeing him do it during the game was odd. Maybe it is an old habit from baseball?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Chichevache posted:

I have seen a decent number of QB's do this, but not even a majority. It is probably SOP for some guys who have historic elbow injuries/like how it feels but not others.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
As a loving burly stereotypical staunch dutch South African, who grew up playing rural SA school Rugby (Prop), and watching it, I want to get into NFL, I bought the Madden 13 game, and also bought a Game Pass from the NFL web site, I like the Colts, because I like horses, and they have a horseshoe for a logo, I'm trying to figure out what in the hell is going on, what sort of approaches, from a Rugby perspective, can I take to understand NFL?

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 28, 2012

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

bluegoon posted:

As a loving burly stereotypical staunch dutch South African, who grew up playing rural SA school Rugby (Prop), and watching it, I want to get into NFL, I bought the Madden 13 game, and also bought a Game Pass from the NFL web site, I like the Colts, because I like horses, and they have a horseshoe for a logo, I'm trying to figure out what in the hell is going on, what sort of approaches, from a Rugby perspective, can I take to understand NFL?
Don't worry, US commentators act as if the audience is nothing but children, and will explain everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bluegoon posted:

Welcome to football and welcome to a rebuilding year. Your team, the Colts, have just come off of a decade of dominance on the backs of one of the best players of the game and has gone all in on who people believe will be the next dominant player.

In terms of rules and approaches American Football (gridiron, or whatever) revolves around a process of tackling->play the ball->tackle. Vaguely similar to the six-tackle League rule, if a team is tackled 4 times (i.e., play the ball-> tackle 4 times) without moving the ball 10 yards the ball is turned over to the other team. Should the team make the ten yards they are given a fresh set of 4 chances to move the ball 10 yards from their last stopping point. Everything in football is measured by each of these self contained play the ball->tackle sequences called downs; thusly named for the number of times the ball carrier has been taken down before crossing the 10 yard requirement.

Is there are particular aspect of the rules you want to know about? I'd honestly recommend playing with Madden as it has a solid tutorial and training sequences to help you get intimately familiar with the various esoteric rules of football.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Does anyone know of any software that let's you draw up football plays?

Preferably free :D

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

crm posted:

poo poo, wasn't there a N64 game that would let you do this? Blitz, I think...

Regardless, I found this with a quick google search: http://www.footballplaysnow.com/ Looks like it has a free demo to try out.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Yeah, i saw that one, it gets pretty expensive if you want to use it more than a few days. (2 weeks, $15 what)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

crm posted:

Yeah, i saw that one, it gets pretty expensive if you want to use it more than a few days. (2 weeks, $15 what)

Now that I think about it, a version of one designed for mobile devices would be amazing. It would require lots of knowledge about what makes a formation legal, though. Maybe I will work on creating a half-assed one when I get bored one weekend.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

crm posted:

Do it in Madden and take pictures with a camera phone, then draw it on paper later

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
ms paint

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Viseo could work. It might be a little clunky getting all your formations saved to use as templates, but the output would look really good.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 29, 2012

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

EDIT: This post was made in the wrong thread.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bluegoon posted:

Since you understand rugby, and you're interested in football, look at how and why football diverged from rugby in the US by reading up on very early college and professional football even on wikipedia if you haven't already and are interested. This isn't as daunting as it probably sounds, and is pretty interesting and insightful. This will provide you with a very basic and integral understanding of how the games differ.

It won't give you an immediate reason as to why certain blitzing packages are successful against a particular offensive scheme, but it will show you the fundamental reasons WHY certain things are happening.

If you can get down with the basics of why and how things are different, come and ask about the things that you don't understand. This forum, and the people in this thread specifically are extremely willing and able to help you with any concept or idea you can't get a handle on.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Heaf, if you're reading, how are our VT rookies doing? Didn't get to watch anything from Coale or Wilson, but I've heard a lot of praise for Wilson (as expected). Also lookin for anything on Jayron. Got terrible Internet on my phone!

Also want to note that I got me a Kam Chancellor jersey. :coal:

Jaysus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 30, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Viseo could work. It might be a little clunky getting all your formations saved to use as templates, but the output would look really good.

yeah i've been using this type of of thing, but you really can't do animation or anything. not a huge deal, but if there was something, that would be great.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This isn't exactly a rookie question, but I'm asking it here anyways since I don't think it warrants it's own thread.

Do any of you know what kind of tools are available for NCAA coaches to use regarding tape? I know tape watching is a huge part of gameplanning and coaching, but I'm just curious as to where the tape for opponents games comes from, and how they go about analyzing it. Like is there just some intern/graduate assistant who's job is to just write down "watch the play at 10:49 in this video" and passes that along to the relevant coaches?

I'm also assuming that in the NFL everyone gets the same tape, based on the fact that the NFL is selling some of that All-22 stuff to fans this year.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

astr0man posted:

This isn't exactly a rookie question, but I'm asking it here anyways since I don't think it warrants it's own thread.

Do any of you know what kind of tools are available for NCAA coaches to use regarding tape? I know tape watching is a huge part of gameplanning and coaching, but I'm just curious as to where the tape for opponents games comes from, and how they go about analyzing it. Like is there just some intern/graduate assistant who's job is to just write down "watch the play at 10:49 in this video" and passes that along to the relevant coaches?

I'm also assuming that in the NFL everyone gets the same tape, based on the fact that the NFL is selling some of that All-22 stuff to fans this year.
Not college, but when I was in high school we traded tape with the other team.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

astr0man posted:

Exchange of game tape is regulated by conference and/or mutual assent in the regular season and by rule in the postseason. Exchanging three games is typical, although at the BCS conference level it's not hard to supplement that with games you acquired via television broadcast, and there is certainly trading above and beyond that going on between friendly coaches. Film can be exchanged by mail, handoff, or dead drops (this process often resembles a drug deal). Usually you'll get the initial two games about two weeks ahead of time and the last game the day after it's played.

At the college level, most to all schools are digitizing their tape and marking it up using video editing suites that exist specifically to do football film and scouting work. There are a bunch of these products out there now and they're pretty much idiot proof. They generally serve two purposes: to create detailed scouting reports with video and to be able to create checkerboard or cutup tapes that show all plays for a given side of the ball, that can then be organized even further into all run plays out of a certain formation or whatnot. Back in the dark ages this had to be done with daisy chained VCRs, it took a lot longer, and you didn't have the flexibility to create tapes past general offense, defense, and special teams.

As for who is doing the work, there's obviously grunt work involved with the process itself, which would be a grad assistant or video coordinator or someone along those lines marking the beginning and end of every play, matching it with the play by play, and maybe adding in formations and play descriptions. After that the coordinators and position coaches will review the entirety of the film from their side of the ball; you've cut those three games down into something like a 40 minute tape for offense, a 40 minute tape for defense, and a 15 minute tape for specials, so suffice it to say that whole tape is being watched about six or eight times by six or eight people on the first game prep day alone.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Jaysus posted:

Heaf, if you're reading, how are our VT rookies doing? Didn't get to watch anything from Coale or Wilson, but I've heard a lot of praise for Wilson (as expected). Also lookin for anything on Jayron. Got terrible Internet on my phone!

Also want to note that I got me a Kam Chancellor jersey. :coal:

Danny Coale was released by the Cowboys due to an injury which severely limited him from practicing and playing in the preseason, maybe he catches on at a camp somewhere. David Wilson got the start in the Giants game against the Bears (I think?) and looked pretty good, and had nice catch and run. He was doing kickoff returns that game. Looks like he'll be the established #2 back and handle those KR duties. Jayron also seems to have made an impression with the Giants staff, perhaps getting some looks in nickel and dime packages. I don't know if he's going to do punt returns. Jarrett Boykin hasn't been released (yet) by the Packers. He might get a look at 6th WR, and if not that, I think they'll put him on the practice squad. Blake DeChristopher is on the IR for the Cards, Cris Hill was cut by the Bills, Jaymes Brooks was waived by the Packers earlier this month, and Eddie Whitley might make the Cowboys practice squad. (I found this link to be helpful: http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dearth-blog/dp-spt-nfl-local-chart-20120830,0,4405923.post?track=rss)

Looks like David Wilson and Jayron Hosley have the best futures in the NFL. Also, Kam rules.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

Heaf posted:

Looks like David Wilson and Jayron Hosley have the best futures in the NFL. Also, Kam rules.

Dangit, really wanted Coale to come out and have an awesome year to start his career. Kinda figured Wilson was going to end up being a beast; always loved the guy. Was Jaymes waived because of his injury? I remember he said something about a bad hami or something. Thanks for the updates! Vacation is killing my football viewing.

Totally posted the original question in the wrong thread. I thought I was posting this in the "Rookie Discussion" thread.

Jaysus fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 4, 2012

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
e: wrong thread

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Was I seeing things, or when they first showed Rob Ryan did the graphic call him Bob Ryan?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Detective Thompson posted:

Was I seeing things, or when they first showed Rob Ryan did the graphic call him Bob Ryan?

You weren't seeing things. You probably meant to post this in N/V, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Right, sorry. Kind of spaced out on that one.

• Locked thread