Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lowclock posted:

Also no power steering, no power brakes, no independent rear suspension, no VIN, and it's Powerglide only and the trunk is full of fuel system poo poo and battery. Where do you think it lost all that weight from anyways?

Well I knew it had a straight rear axle, but I intentionally didn't mention putting that back in. Also I don't think a vin sticker weighs a lot and filling the trunk with poo poo doesn't reduce weight. I assume they shaved a lot of weight getting rid of the irs and interior niceties.

I mean I'm not gonna buy one or anything. I just figured it'd be nice for the people who think it's a sports car but will never do anything but accelerate from a stoplight. Hell if it was around 3,200lbs just leave the V6 in and bump up CAFE standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

davebo posted:

Also I don't think a vin sticker weighs a lot and filling the trunk with poo poo doesn't reduce weight. I assume they shaved a lot of weight getting rid of the irs and interior niceties.

If the car doesn't need to be street legal I'd imagine there is all sorts if weight you could take out as you wouldn't need to meet safety, noise or any other standards.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not a car, it's a part you buy from GM Performance Parts.

You can buy a Honda Civic body-in-white as well. If the $3,500 price is real then that sounds pretty neat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
According to Autoguide, Ford's planning on bringing the Fiesta ST to North America in some format or other.

e: Seems to be planning. Man that's actually pretty nebulous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I do hope it comes since that's probably the closest I'll get to a Mazdaspeed2.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

davebo posted:

Well I knew it had a straight rear axle, but I intentionally didn't mention putting that back in. Also I don't think a vin sticker weighs a lot and filling the trunk with poo poo doesn't reduce weight. I assume they shaved a lot of weight getting rid of the irs and interior niceties.

I mean I'm not gonna buy one or anything. I just figured it'd be nice for the people who think it's a sports car but will never do anything but accelerate from a stoplight. Hell if it was around 3,200lbs just leave the V6 in and bump up CAFE standards.

I don't think you understand what the COPO is for, it's a homologation special designed to run in specific NHRA classes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yeah I get what it's for, but it's not really unprecedented for posts in A.I. to wish a production car was more like its purpose-built racing counterpart.

And speaking of Chevys, the Corvette plant is stopping public tours in mid-September to start making changes for the C7. I'm pretty anxious to see what it's going to look like.

Edit: vv not sure. I do know they're doing a $131 million upgrade to the plant so I doubt that happens every generation. I'd investigate on corvetteforum.com but like every non-sa forum I've seen every post takes up half my screen for one sentence and is littered with emoticons.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 23, 2012

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Is that standard practice for them before a model change?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to fit the Skyactiv 2.0 in the 2. Seems like that, plus a sportier suspension setup would make for a hell of a MS2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jvick posted:

Is that standard practice for them before a model change?

Probably; Bowling Green is very 'fan friendly', and the level of access Joe Tour Visitor gets means there's no way they'd be able to keep the C7 hush-hush anymore.

Q_res posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to fit the Skyactiv 2.0 in the 2. Seems like that, plus a sportier suspension setup would make for a hell of a MS2.

I'd have a deposit down for one yesterday if they'd build that. Probably better mileage than the base engine, too.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Probably; Bowling Green is very 'fan friendly', and the level of access Joe Tour Visitor gets means there's no way they'd be able to keep the C7 hush-hush anymore.

I went on a tour of it back in the '90s and when your tour group got to right the part of the line, somebody'd get to start a newer-than-new unfinished Corvette for the first time.

I really want to see the C7, I'm an American and therefore I love Corvettes.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every time I watch WRC I imagine someone entering a Mazda2 WR car. Some paint, stickers, and fender flares would go a long way for that car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

bidikyoopi posted:

Some paint, stickers, and fender flares would go a long way for that car.
You are exactly right. http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6788&Itemid=2

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

davebo posted:

Yeah I get what it's for, but it's not really unprecedented for posts in A.I. to wish a production car was more like its purpose-built racing counterpart.

And speaking of Chevys, the Corvette plant is stopping public tours in mid-September to start making changes for the C7. I'm pretty anxious to see what it's going to look like.

Edit: vv not sure. I do know they're doing a $131 million upgrade to the plant so I doubt that happens every generation. I'd investigate on corvetteforum.com but like every non-sa forum I've seen every post takes up half my screen for one sentence and is littered with emoticons.

Seriously gently caress reading the cesspool of terrible that is corvetteforum.com

All anyone has missed thus far would be the Leaked 2014 C7 Corvette Bumper Video

Outside of that all that has been posted has been one or all of the following posts:

1)I have an inside source at GM who says they are 100% sure the C7 will have 650hp, be mid engine, and have AWD.

2)Pics of fan rendered drawings.

3)Seriously why cant the C7 be 650hp, mid engine, AWD, and also cost less?

4)I wish the C7 included _____________________________ as a standard option.

5) 3000 posts of nothing but emoticons

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
Is it a bad sign I was more interested in watching the mold machine than actually seeing the C7 bumper?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Franco Caution posted:

1)I have an inside source at GM who says they are 100% sure the C7 will have 650hp, be mid engine, and have AWD.

I like to think of it as being 8 years old and there was that one kid who had an uncle that worked at Nintendo. Also, the Bowling Green plant is great. If you buy a Corvette now, you can pay extra to (help) build the engine for your Corvette and then drive it away from the show-floor at the Corvette museum.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I went on a tour of it back in the '90s and when your tour group got to right the part of the line, somebody'd get to start a newer-than-new unfinished Corvette for the first time.

I didn't know they did that for everyone. I did it, but it was the Corvette my dad had already bought and ordered and basically spent the day walking after it in the factory.

The only missed bit of awesomeness is that production for the day (a Friday) ended with about four cars in front of it at the end of the line, so he missed being able to drive it directly off of the line.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only missed bit of awesomeness is that production for the day (a Friday) ended with about four cars in front of it at the end of the line, so he missed being able to drive it directly off of the line.

Unions!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Time to drag this thread back to the surface... the new Mazda6 will make its debut in Moscow.

Goddamn this is a good-looking car, and I really hope we get the wagon here in the US.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Motor Trend is claiming we'll get the 2.2 Skyactiv Diesel. So, even if we don't get the wagon, that would be a nice consolation prize.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Pseudonym posted:

Time to drag this thread back to the surface... the new Mazda6 will make its debut in Moscow.

Goddamn this is a good-looking car, and I really hope we get the wagon here in the US.

Good looking is an understatement, I haven't really been a big fan of the new mazdas but gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pseudonym posted:

Wagon looks pretty good, too:

Profile is alright:

But the rear:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Pseudonym posted:

In this color, it's like the decade-newer version of my car. I believe I'll buy one in a few years.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Not only is the new Mazda 6 good-looking, but it's dropped two hundred pounds from the last model. I wish more manufacturers would follow suit.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Something about that front fender and the high grill/hood just really emphasizes "massive FWD overhang" to me when looking at the side profile. Maybe I'm just crazy, but it doesn't look right.

I like the interior though, and I'm sure it will drive great.

e: First generation

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 30, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The low-slung front end reminds me of the new 3-series. Of course, now I can't wait to see pictures of the new Miata. If it uses any of the current design language (and it will), then it will finally be a looker.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

oRenj9 posted:

The low-slung front end reminds me of the new 3-series. Of course, now I can't wait to see pictures of the new Miata. If it uses any of the current design language (and it will), then it will finally be a looker.

New Miata is coming in 2015 though, right? If its a 2014 model I might be tempted to push getting a car off for another year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that roofline/windowline looks familiar

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fiat just announced that they will be making a 4x4 of the newest generation Panda and that it will be going on sale in 2013:

Looks quite good for a little crossover/softroader if you ask me and it's still quite small (those are 14" wheels, I think). Comes with either a 85hp 875cc twinair or a 75hp diesel.

If it comes to the US, it will probably be wearing a Jeep badge and grill.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really like that and I feel ashamed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why would you feel ashamed? That thing is great, like a Civic Wagon that made it with a Forester while a Twingo watched.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I love it! It'd make way more interesting of a Jeep than the Compass does.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Why do they have to be re badged? Fiat is a huge holdings company, why does it have to pretend its something its not in the States. Not to mention they already sell the 500 here. Don't people like the idea of driving an Italian car?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Preoptopus posted:

Why do they have to be re badged? Fiat is a huge holdings company, why does it have to pretend its something its not in the States. Not to mention they already sell the 500 here. Don't people like the idea of driving an Italian car?

For whatever it's worth, 'Fiat' just doesn't convey the same sense of solidity to the average person as 'Jeep' does. And buying anything 4 wheel drive is generally about the appearance and feeling of solidity and that sort of thing.

Then again, perhaps the 500 has made enough of a good name for Fiat that they'll sell it as a Panda.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Valid point, I will laugh when I see "Its a Jeep thing" stickers on Pandas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why would you feel ashamed? That thing is great, like a Civic Wagon that made it with a Forester while a Twingo watched.

The boxy rear end 4x4 Panda is way cooler and I feel like I'm cheating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The best thing about Panda 4x4s is when people in things like Landies do the :psyduck: face at where you can get them to go.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best thing about that Panda is that the next generation is coming to Canada so hopefully that will too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

The best thing about Panda 4x4s is when people in things like Landies do the :psyduck: face at where you can get them to go.

Yeah, I'd be totally OK with this wearing the Jeep badge because, based on the current Panda 4x4, it really can live up to those expectations and has some crazy off-road chops for something of its price. Hell of a lot better than the Compass.

The similar Skoda Yeti supposedly is rated to like 1600-2000 kg (depending on where), which is like 4000 lbs. Which sounds hilariously optimistic, but you never know...

one more pandakar pic:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, they remind me of 80s Subarus. Just a tiny tin box on 14" wheels but with full locking 4WD. Unstoppable, cheap, never want to be in an accident in one, but very endearing to watch clamber over ridiculous obstacles.