Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Fruit is not kimchi.

To be fair, they have the world's best tangerines in Korea. I think I actually got orange slices with a tequila shot once there.

Orange slices with tequila is delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

We have fruit it's just expensive. $4 for a small lovely lime? I've seen $6 for a pear and $13 for a cantaloupe.

Is it because of the high tariffs they put on everything? Would seem odd to have high tariffs on food products when S. Korea is a small country that could benefit from outside help in regards to farming.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

HappyHelmet posted:

Is it because of the high tariffs they put on everything? Would seem odd to have high tariffs on food products when S. Korea is a small country that could benefit from outside help in regards to farming.

Korea has a fairly big and strong agricultural industry, similar to Japan, but Korea is still a pretty small country. That means higher tariffs and lower selection than you would like. Things have gotten better, and it isn't like there is no fruit or vegetable selection at all, but there are still a lot of agricultural products you can't get easily and/or cheaply.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
I'm near Zhongxiao fuxing station
Just got here few hours. It's raining like a bitch out there. Going to suck to go to 'registration' for classes tomorrow.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't hold your breath. There's a good chance tomorrow will be a typhoon day.

e: Although looking at the DGPA website, it's already announced to be normal day in Taichung and Nantou, and they're meant to be right under this thing, so....

e2: And now it's normal for Changhua and Miaoli too.

e3: Keelung, New Taipei, Taoyuan, Yunlin, and Chiayi announced as a normal day now. As expected, still gently caress-all from Hao Longbin.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 22, 2012

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't hold your breath. There's a good chance tomorrow will be a typhoon day.

e: Although looking at the DGPA website, it's already announced to be normal day in Taichung and Nantou, and they're meant to be right under this thing, so....
Officials are really goodawful about waiting until the last minute to call it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't you guys have something like this in Taiwan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_C_Lik-cheung

Managers hate paying staff for a day with no work :smith:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

caberham posted:

Don't you guys have something like this in Taiwan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_C_Lik-cheung

Managers hate paying staff for a day with no work :smith:

It seems managers also hate staffing doing work when they do come in, so...

Li C Lik-cheung - I love that.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Seems like the typhoon really has stalled though. The 24 hour projection now is almost exactly where it was this morning--with the eye of the storm still well off the east coast. Of course, obviously the projection can be wrong if they were predicting two different things this morning and this evening, but public officials go off those projections when making the call.

That being said, weather was quite lovely earlier today in Tainan and I thought the typhoon had already begun, but it hasn't rained since around 6 PM or so. :shobon: Maybe it'll stay that way? Please? The only real advantage about living in the south is the less rainy weather but we've definitely gotten our fair share of it already this summer.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I'll be flying back to Taiwan in about 24 hours from now. America -> Japan -> Taiwan. That last leg is going to be quite iffy with this weather.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Aside from the wind picking up a little the weather is fine here in Taichung. No chance we get today off, and I'd say tomorrow will probably be the same.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm pretty sure it's just trying to slow down so that it can ruin the weekend as much as possible. Thanks, weather lords.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HappyHelmet posted:

Aside from the wind picking up a little the weather is fine here in Taichung. No chance we get today off, and I'd say tomorrow will probably be the same.

Its probably been the most beautiful day in the past two weeks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yep. This is going to be a whole weekend of poo poo. The other one's going to speed up just in time to join this shitlord hovering off our coast and ruinate the whole drat weekend.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So maybe going to the water park might not be the best idea. :-/

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It begins...

Thanks to TetsuoTW for linking that website and Google Chrome for translating it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, found out there is no school tomorrow on my way out the door. I can't believe they actually canceled it. At least right now the weather is still fine where I am at.

:sigh: In theory a 3 day weekend is nice, but this means I'm gonna have to make up the day on a Saturday... gently caress that. I'd honestly prefer to just go to work tomorrow.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Tainan City is the only blue blip out of everywhere in the south. I don't really care and whatever they declare I still have to wait for my work to call me and tell me one way or the other, but it's funny that they're being such holdouts this time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Let's try not to forget that they've basically made the wrong call every time this year. First, they were gun shy and people got soaked in horrible rain. Then, they were trigger happy and closed things down for no reason. Then, they did the same thing again. Now, they don't want to look stupid, so they're going to wait until the last minute possible.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, that makes total sense, and it's almost like I am waiting for them to make up their mind so that I can rely on the weather being the opposite of whatever they say it'll be.

Still, this is honestly the first time since moving to Taiwan I've seen it say "尚未宣布消息。" Is the mayor of Tainan incapacitated or something?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I linked that webpage way before TetsuoTW. Give a guy some credit here

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

thegoat posted:

Right place, wrong time, buddy :smug:

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I guess I need to have an automated typhoon response in place. I'll get it ready

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

thegoat posted:

Sorry, that was just the first time I remember seeing it linked.

8:30am in DaJia and no rain, only some slightly dark clouds in the sky. I know it'll start later, but I can't help thinking about the 6 less teaching hours I'll have on my paycheck this month.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

So anyways I'm here in Taiwan now and free until the 4th. If anyone wants to do a mini goon meet in town I'm game for it. I certainly don't know my way around yet so I'm open to suggestions.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Sorry, that was just the first time I remember seeing it linked.

8:30am in DaJia and no rain, only some slightly dark clouds in the sky. I know it'll start later, but I can't help thinking about the 6 less teaching hours I'll have on my paycheck this month.

Yeah, almost noon now, and the wind isn't even blowing. There are some clouds, but they are a long way off from my vantage point.

They aren't going make you do make-up classes? That seems a bit strange.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

dtb posted:

So anyways I'm here in Taiwan now and free until the 4th. If anyone wants to do a mini goon meet in town I'm game for it. I certainly don't know my way around yet so I'm open to suggestions.

Interested in going to a dive bar tonight?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Interested in going to a dive bar tonight?

Yes. I don't know what that is.... but I'll go.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's way less exciting than you think. I'm using "dive bar" to mean the exact same thing it always does. This is a lovely, hole in the wall bar for Taiwanese guys to act like badasses.

When are you free?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah, almost noon now, and the wind isn't even blowing. There are some clouds, but they are a long way off from my vantage point.

They aren't going make you do make-up classes? That seems a bit strange.

Nope, all of today's lessons will just get bumped back to the next time the class meets, in this case on Tuesday. So if I was supposed to teach lesson 4 today, the CT will teach it on Tuesday and I'll teach lesson 5 next Friday.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

It's way less exciting than you think. I'm using "dive bar" to mean the exact same thing it always does. This is a lovely, hole in the wall bar for Taiwanese guys to act like badasses.

When are you free?

I'm always free.
I've got nothing until the 4th of next month.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Let me rephrase that.

At what time tonight would you be available to meet up?

Any other goons want to drink the world's best mohitos tonight?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Let me rephrase that.

At what time tonight would you be available to meet up?

Any other goons want to drink the world's best mohitos tonight?

I'm always free. I"ve got nothing. Whenever works for you I can accomodate.

Edit: I'm on Kakao Talk as dtb, and Line as dtb4life

dtb fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 24, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I do not have a smart phone, so to get in touch with me, you either have to catch me online when I am at home or by phone/txt.

I can be in Taipei by 10PM tonight. We should meet at Dunhua station. Then, we can either taxi or walk to the bar (depending on weather and if you are a fat goon or a nerdy gym rat goon).

If you would prefer to make arrangements by email, I'm this username at gmail.com

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
what dive bar are you going to?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Urban Kicker (UK). It's the place my friend owns. It has a couple of dart boards, a "unique" atmosphere, and a guarantee that you'll piss at least one roach down the toilet. It's near Dunhua. If I'm coming all the way from Sanxia, you can get your rear end there. I'll be there probably around 10:30. Feel free to join us.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Urban Kicker (UK). It's the place my friend owns. It has a couple of dart boards, a "unique" atmosphere, and a guarantee that you'll piss at least one roach down the toilet. It's near Dunhua. If I'm coming all the way from Sanxia, you can get your rear end there. I'll be there probably around 10:30. Feel free to join us.

What's the actual address? I'd drop by and have a beer or two, but probably not stay until the wee hours.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
仁愛路4段300巷19弄4號.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks for the good night Friday, boys.
I was really looking forward to bottle keep, but finishing the whole thing on the first night is another way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

dtb posted:

Thanks for the good night Friday, boys.
I was really looking forward to bottle keep, but finishing the whole thing on the first night is another way to do it.

It is the rare bottle of whiskey that escapes me.