Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Raw_Beef posted:

I've never owned one or had to use it, but ive worked on many porsches with what i consider a horrible spare tire setup. First off the car is so low you need the OEM low profile hand crank jack, then the spare itself is deflated and collapsed on itself from the factory for storage. You need the OEM infater can to activate the spare. I'm pretty sure its a one time use thing, since i cant see how the tire would re-fold itself to be stored in its little holding area.

This also means youre probably putting your full sized wheel with the flat in your back seat or something, sinc it cant go where the inflate-a-spare did.
Is there a DOT or similar requirement for every car to have a spare? That's the only way a setup like you've described would make sense to me, as if you ever actually had to use the spare you would be cursing Porsche's engineers. Maybe they assume if you get a flat in one of their cars you'll just call a tow and take it to the dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

SwashedBuckles posted:

Is there a DOT or similar requirement for every car to have a spare? That's the only way a setup like you've described would make sense to me, as if you ever actually had to use the spare you would be cursing Porsche's engineers. Maybe they assume if you get a flat in one of their cars you'll just call a tow and take it to the dealer.

No. Some newer Hyundais have no spare tire nor do they have runflats.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Bang Me Please posted:

Probably comes with fix-a-flat then

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Brigdh posted:

Probably comes with fix-a-flat then

The one we had in the shop didn't have that either, but it may have been removed and misplaced by the owner.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Motronic posted:

You can use a proper low profile jack on any stock height Porsche I've ever worked on.

Yes, the spare is interesting. The dealer can "re fold" them after use. It's probably better than a lot of new cars where the "spare tire" is a can of fix a flat.

As far as where to put the flat, yeah...back seat or passenger seat. The tool kit has what's basically a trash bag in it to put the flat in so it doesn't screw up your hand stitched german leather.

So you drive around with a low profile jack in your porsche?

What im getting at is if you had one of these cars and bought it say used without the oem jack, youre SOL if it happens on the side of the road, i'm not saying that its impossible to service them in a shop with low profile floor jacks or even better an in-ground post lift.

The seats arent hand stiched btw, just steering wheel and door handles and other odd shaped things. (5 years in a specialty upholstery/trim shop, done my share of porsche interiors/tops)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Had a fun one yesterday but I was too pissed to take a picture. My Volvo is off the road for a month (paperwork) so my wife & I are sharing a car, which neither of us likes. Anyway I go to drive the car to work yesterday & it has a flat, front left. I don't have time to fix it so I call a buddy who picks me up on his way to work. I get back in time to swap the spare on & take it to the shop, but when I drop it to the ground, the brass core of the valve just kind of poops itself out of the spare. It's now too late to get to the shop so I put the flat back on & pump it up (single barrel footpump). It holds air sufficiently so I leave it with my wife to get fixed today.

I hate spacesavers, I hate French cars, I hate whichever idiot decided under the rear of the car, exposed to years of salt spray was a good space to store a critical spare. I hate myself for never checking it.

E: the tyre shop is a mile away on 30mph roads & she put 30psi in before driving it.

poo poo that reminds me that i should really check the spare on my Peugeot. Never checked it after buying the car...

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Bang Me Please posted:

My Veloster didn't come with any sort of spare or flat repair, but between Hyundai, my dealership, and AAA, I have 3 forms of roadside assistance that can come haul my rear end to a tire place. If I use them one after the other I can go 300 miles! :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Raw_Beef posted:

So you drive around with a low profile jack in your porsche?

What im getting at is if you had one of these cars and bought it say used without the oem jack, youre SOL if it happens on the side of the road

"Your" SOL if the factory jack is gone from any car. Surprise!....the spare tire POS jack that was supplied with the car is low or tall enough to work on said car.

So....yes....I do drive around with a low profile (POS manufacturer supplied tire changing) jack in my Porsche.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bang Me Please posted:

A spare tire is optional on a lot of low end cars, not just Hyundai.

I know it was an option on the Chevy Cobalt.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Motronic posted:

"Your" SOL if the factory jack is gone from any car. Surprise!....the spare tire POS jack that was supplied with the car is low or tall enough to work on said car.

So....yes....I do drive around with a low profile (POS manufacturer supplied tire changing) jack in my Porsche.

I know we're both mechs and therefore have precise personalities, but if your quotes on "your" are meant to express my misuse of you, your, you're, I cant seem to tell what "you're" on about.

And again my point is that you need that special low pro jack from porsche or a low pro floor jack. For other vehicles, most any jack from one's garage will do, be it a hi-lift, a bottle jack, or floor jack. In fact i dont have the factory jack in any of my vehicles and am able to use any jack i come across, stowed in the trunk. Any jack but a Porsche oem low pro, since it wont have the travel to lift high enough.

(nobody...should...ever...say...anything...negative...about...Porsche...while... Motronic...is...around)

Cant we all just get along?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Raw_Beef posted:

I know we're both mechs and therefore have precise personalities, but if your quotes on "your" are meant to express my misuse of you, your, you're, I cant seem to tell what "you're" on about.

And again my point is that you need that special low pro jack from porsche or a low pro floor jack. For other vehicles, most any jack from one's garage will do, be it a hi-lift, a bottle jack, or floor jack. In fact i dont have the factory jack in any of my vehicles and am able to use any jack i come across, stowed in the trunk. Any jack but a Porsche oem low pro, since it wont have the travel to lift high enough.

(nobody...should...ever...say...anything...negative...about...Porsche...while... Motronic...is...around)

Is this a porsche specific complaint? I would think that all low riding sports cars would need low profile jacks. Just be happy you don't have an expensive enough porsche to worry about center locking wheels I guess.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Is this a porsche specific complaint? I would think that all low riding sports cars would need low profile jacks. Just be happy you don't have an expensive enough porsche to worry about center locking wheels I guess.

We started discussing less-than-optimal spare tire setups, and i mentioned porsche's inflate-a-tire and janky low-pro oem jack.

Youre right, its probably a thing with all low clearance sports cars. I dont often work on those kinds of vehicles anymore, nor do i own them. I like mah trucks an jeeps an huge 'merican cars from the 70's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I may be spoiled by high speed wireless internet everywhere in the province, but does it even matter?

After i get a flat, i could research which tire is best to replace it with, who has that tire cheapest within 150km, and have the phone number for the shop that can come out with that model of tire for a permanent replacement on the side of the road. All of this can be done and i can be back on the road within an hour at minimal cost.

The world has changed. it's only fair that spare tires keep up.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Powershift posted:

I may be spoiled by high speed wireless internet everywhere in the province, but does it even matter?

After i get a flat, i could research which tire is best to replace it with, who has that tire cheapest within 150km, and have the phone number for the shop that can come out with that model of tire for a permanent replacement on the side of the road. All of this can be done and i can be back on the road within an hour at minimal cost.

Id say that whatever youre comfortable with is what works for you.

I bring coolant, oil, tools and a full sized jack when i drive across the state. Air compressor too.

i've got a tattoo that says "be prepared", its kinda my thing. Id be ashamed if i had to call for assistance for anything other than a blown transmission, engine, or axle.

High speed internet is not available once i get out of the major metro area, so no googling and shopping around when im stuck. Also im kinda poor so buying and stowing what i need for an emergence is more cost efficient than paying someone.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

There are huge tracts of rural America where even having the good fortune to be near a cell tower won't help you unless you can call for a tow, and that would be about all you could get. Being able to handle a flat tire by yourself is an important part of road preparedness that lots of people downplay because they can just call someone. How about changing it yourself and moving along? You'll be done faster, for sure.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Also, there's this dangerous game of the temporary solution being an expensive prospect. My E90 doesn't have TPMS, so I ditched the runflats and put both the slime crap and a plug kit in my trunk. My Dad's E90 has TPMS, so the slime would start ruining sensors, and he's getting old enough that he'd rather not be assed to be screwing around on the side of the road (and this is a guy who lost a hood on a 442 at speed). He'll probably buy more runflats. I mean, they suck for lots of driving, but I did make it home on the runflats once, with work being 35 miles away.

To each their own! That said, make sure you have a functional solution for your location, the cell and shop choice won't work in a lot of places around here. :)

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Also remember never to get a flat after business hours, on sundays, or holidays.

Times are changing, spare tire installing robots should be every 5 miles in emergency booths on the interstate!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd rather carry a spare, or even two, but then again I drive big ugly trucks, big ugly pickups, and may not even be within a few miles of a dirt road when I blow a tire. If I call roadside assistance, they laugh and tell me I'm not really by the side of a road, now am I?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Longinus00 posted:

I would think that all low riding sports cars would need low profile jacks.

That is exactly my point. This has nothing to do with a specific marque, it has to do with vehicle types and their general heights.

Furthermore, who the hell takes a factory POS jack out of a car before they sell it? Sure I've come across that but it's quite atypical in my experience.

And I'm sure as hell not going to drive it around as any sort of regular ride unless I have a spare, wrench and jack in it (or runflats). That's all pretty basic stuff.

Raw_Beef posted:

I know we're both mechs

Mech war....... FIGHT!

It's all good. We just disagree on this topic. We'll hug it out later.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 23, 2012

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

kastein posted:

I'd rather carry a spare, or even two, but then again I drive big ugly trucks, big ugly pickups, and may not even be within a few miles of a dirt road when I blow a tire. If I call roadside assistance, they laugh and tell me I'm not really by the side of a road, now am I?

I've noticed theres always a tow truck outfit near the road leading to popular 4x4 sites. id hate to pay for an off road extraction at professional rates. probably costs as much as a used 90s XJ.

It may sound bad but ive kinda stopped helping idiots who get in over their heads. Too many times a guy walking down the trail says hes just a little stuck only to be full on down the hillside, then starts to complain when my only method of extraction *might* scratch his pavement pounder. Usually alchohol is involved, not on my part.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess alberta is just ahead of the rest of the continent :smug:

I've driven in to a rest stop at 9PM on a saturday, given them directions and told them i was heading out at 6am sunday, and woken up to a new tire on the truck and a $700 bill under the wiper(considering the tire is $650 list, that's pretty drat reasonable).

I would be the first to admit i'm somewhat sheltered living in the industrial productivity capital of the world, but this really is the way it should be.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

It's all good. We just disagree on this topic. We'll hug it out later.

if you stopped trying to call people out on misspellings and getting it wrong yourself, you wouldn't have to hug so many greasy rear end car nerds.

Here's a friend's driveshaft getting up close and friendly with a large rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccrUrkfB2Y4

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

kastein posted:

getting it wrong yourself

Care to justify you statement in the context of this discussion?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Raw_Beef posted:

What im getting at is if you had one of these cars and bought it say used without the oem jack, youre SOL if it happens on the side of the road, i'm not saying that its impossible to service them in a shop with low profile floor jacks or even better an in-ground post lift.

Correct usage of the contraction of "you are", "you're".

Motronic posted:

Ironic incorrect usage of the possessive pronoun "your" in an attempt to make a sick burn.

This is what Kastein is talking about.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

I've got a suggestion for you:

Motronic posted:

kastein posted:

the quicklube I worked at
cavitating
I have a hard time believing that someone who worked at a quick lube knows this word, even if they spell it wrong.

kastein posted:

e: also, googling tells me I spelled it right :confused:

Motronic posted:

Hello....screwing with you :huh:

We'll hug it out later.

Veins McGee posted:

Correct usage of the contraction of "you are", "you're".

Ironic incorrect usage of the possessive pronoun "your" in an attempt to make a sick burn.

This is what Kastein is talking about.

Some horrible mechanical failure, caused by a driver failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFCoroa5sg

I'm riding shotgun and failing terribly at calling turns, he drills a multi ton rock with the left front tire at around 20mph right before I yell KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING. Finished the course, but it put a hole through the sidewall of the tire (forget the make, but the rubber is roughly 1" thick plus side lugs where it punctured), bent a dana 44 steering knuckle, and twisted the sector shaft on an upgraded heavy duty steering box. Almost completely lost the ability to turn one direction and STILL got the second (out of 7) fastest lap time. I'll have to see if I can find pictures.

I like driving fast offroad :haw: :banjo:

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 23, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Aside from your awesome co-driving. :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I hate spacesavers, I hate French cars, I hate whichever idiot decided under the rear of the car, exposed to years of salt spray was a good space to store a critical spare. I hate myself for never checking it.

My French car has a full-sized spare. In the trunk. On an OEM alloy wheel to match the ones the car came with :smug:

I honestly don't mind spacesavers that much, but the cheap and lazy cop-out of throwing in a can of fix-a-flat instead of a proper spare wheel needs to end.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alfa Romeo GTVs, as supplied to Australia in the late 90s, had a space saver spare, and the trunk wasn't large enough to close on the full sized wheel after you had taken it off. I got a call in the middle of the night from a friend's dad who had had a flat and couldn't get the wheel off. If I hadn't been there, he would have had to put the (wet, filthy) full size wheel on his passenger seat, or leave it on the side of the road.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

EightBit posted:

There are huge tracts of rural America where even having the good fortune to be near a cell tower won't help you unless you can call for a tow, and that would be about all you could get. Being able to handle a flat tire by yourself is an important part of road preparedness that lots of people downplay because they can just call someone. How about changing it yourself and moving along? You'll be done faster, for sure.

Yeah, if you rely on that around here, you're a fool. If you're a half hour or more outside of a town, your cell service is going to be spotty at best. Definitely not something to bank on, especially in winter.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had no idea that spares were optional on so many cars now. That just seems like a horrid idea.

One winter in Denver I came out of my apartment to find one of my brand new snow tires had gone flat. I needed to get to summit county and I didn't want to use my donut so I tossed my summer back on that wheel (it was one of the rears). That was a fun drive, the back would kick out every time I turned opposite to that side of the car - it was snowing pretty good.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In 2010 I pulled the original spare out of my '66 Corvette (to replace the gas tank). Still in fantastic shape, but I figured I wasn't willing to actually use it, so it's sitting in a corner now along with the entire spare tire holder (if I'm not carrying a spare, why carry that?).

Modern tires of the same diameter are too wide to fit, and ones that are narrow enough are small enough they'd wreck the positraction dif and I'm pretty sure I would not be in the mood to change two tires on the side of the road to make sure the small one was up front. I'll wait for roadside assistance.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I had no idea that spares were optional on so many cars now. That just seems like a horrid idea.

Manufacturers are trying to cut weight to boost MPG while cutting costs. Omitting the spare is an easy way to do both. However, I agree. Its a lovely thing to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

:downsrim:

The pitifully-small inflate-a-spare is nothing new. The '79 280ZX had one, never used, along with a scary looking can to inflate it with. We tossed it out and carried a can of fix-a-flat instead.

Honestly, a spare tire is a calculated risk one way or the other. You're either willing to pay a tiny bit more for the car and to fuel said car in exchange for keeping the spare, or you're willing to take the risk of having to call someone for help in the event that you have a tire failure happen in a way that can't be resolved with a patch kit and a compressor or fix-a-flat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

:downsrim:

The pitifully-small inflate-a-spare is nothing new. The '79 280ZX had one, never used, along with a scary looking can to inflate it with. We tossed it out and carried a can of fix-a-flat instead.

Honestly, a spare tire is a calculated risk one way or the other. You're either willing to pay a tiny bit more for the car and to fuel said car in exchange for keeping the spare, or you're willing to take the risk of having to call someone for help in the event that you have a tire failure happen in a way that can't be resolved with a patch kit and a compressor or fix-a-flat.
I think the objection largely stems from the decision not being yours to make in many cases: You can't have a spare even if you want one.

Also while we're doing this:

Every American in the thread posted:

Tire
:downsrim: :britain: :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I think the objection largely stems from the decision not being yours to make in many cases: You can't have a spare even if you want one.

Who says you can't? If the car you want doesn't have a spare tire at all and you want it to have one, buy a wheel and tire and find somewhere to stash it. It's not like you have to have a factory mount to put it somewhere; you just might have to get creative if you don't want it hanging out in your trunk.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Gone are the days where engineers would get creative to enable your spare-tire stashing:

e: It's a corvair.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I can only imagine that placement didn't do good things for the life of the spare.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

wolrah posted:

I can only imagine that placement didn't do good things for the life of the spare.

When a cars' lifespan was generally considered to be 20,000 miles..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's fine, my Pandas have their spares over the gearbox like that, and it does no harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Citroen DS had the spare in the engine compartment, too.
It did not come with a jack, though.
(because you didn't need one)