Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I read that the Faverolle are VERY docile. I think that is what makes them endearing to me. I like the 'underdog.' Inveigle thank you for helping out with the Moet video. I'm not computer savvy. Moet looks so peaceful with the babies. I was surprised when I came across the video. I can't remember what I googled but the videos appeared!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

Love this video - I think she's upset someone is in the food dish? http://youtu.be/O57KvX4jFB4

BAWWWWKBAWKBAWWWK*ooh, time out, is that a speck of food on the knee of your jeans?*BAWWKBAWWWWKBAWK

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Heh, they're fine, my camera ran out of batteries is why I haven't taken any new pics... I may have a couple soon.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

BAWWWWKBAWKBAWWWK*ooh, time out, is that a speck of food on the knee of your jeans?*BAWWKBAWWWWKBAWK

VS speaks chicken!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

More pics. They grow so fast, I took these last week and I can't believe how much they have grown even from then.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

[

More pics. They grow so fast, I took these last week and I can't believe how much they have grown even from then.

LOL! Chickpile! One of the cutest things ever! I love how they have made a pile but some have stretched out flat to get comfortable. :3:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Inveigle posted:

LOL! Chickpile! One of the cutest things ever! I love how they have made a pile but some have stretched out flat to get comfortable. :3:

I waited so long with the camera to get a somewhat still chickpile. They would all be settling down and then one of them decided to readjust and that woke up the two who were using her as a pillow. They got all set again until another one walked by and decided they wanted to be at the bottom of the pile so she plowed her way in.

Not sure about the Welsummer at top. She must have had too much to drink because she was passed out flat on her face.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a flock of 36 birds, 29 black sex link hens, 6 brown layer hens, and 1 penedesenca rooster. I've seen the rooster doing his job but the eggs I've collected from the brown hens (the sex link are a few weeks shy of laying age) don't seem to be fertilized.

I want the brown hens to eventually go broody so I can get more adorable little fuzzballs. Can I collect eggs for candling and replace the fertilized ones back into the nest box to encourage broodiness?

Is there a better method than candling to check eggs to see if they are fertilized?

Below is a file photograph of His August Majesty, The King of the Coop, Lord of the Chicken Yard, and Master of Hens being attended to by his adoring harem:

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 22, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

[/quote]

Zeta Taskforce, thank you for sharing the new pictures! They are getting HUGE! So adorable.

Fermented Tinal - thank you for sharing your pictures - quite a flock you have!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Roo's wounded leg. We tried to clean his leg yesterday while he was having his regular bumblefoot pedicure, but he was having none of it so some dry blood is still on his leg. At least the hole has a scab now so I didn't cover it, just applied some neosporin on it. Believe me, it looks worse than it is, most of it is just dry blood.

This is how his other leg looks. Hopefully this new wound will heal well. Do you guys think his spurs will grow back?

Bonus tailess molting hen.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Candling eggs lets you see the growing embryo inside the eggs after they've been sat on a few days. You can tell if eggs are fertile by cracking a few open and looking for the spot on the yolk. I don't think leaving eggs there will encourage them to go broody... Candling won't help determine if an egg is fertile or not unless it's been under a hen or in an incubator for a few days.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have a flock of 36 birds, 29 black sex link hens, 6 brown layer hens, and 1 penedesenca rooster. I've seen the rooster doing his job but the eggs I've collected from the brown hens (the sex link are a few weeks shy of laying age) don't seem to be fertilized.

I want the brown hens to eventually go broody so I can get more adorable little fuzzballs. Can I collect eggs for candling and replace the fertilized ones back into the nest box to encourage broodiness?

Is there a better method than candling to check eggs to see if they are fertilized?

Below is a file photograph of His August Majesty, The King of the Coop, Lord of the Chicken Yard, and Master of Hens being attended to by his adoring harem:

36 birds and you want more? High production breeds besides. I'm curious, do you really like eggs, or are you planning on selling them?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm going to be culling some of the sex links soon, but yeah, I want more birds and will eventually be putting out a placard at the end of my laneway advertising eggs for sale.

I also give some to my neighbours from time to time. But right now with 6 hens already laying I have about 5 dozen eggs in my fridge just waiting for me to get around to making more pickled eggs.

E: I probably should've mentioned this but I'm on a farm.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
edit: nevermind. Don't believe it, but not going to bring it up.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 23, 2012

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Chido posted:

This is how his other leg looks. Hopefully this new wound will heal well. Do you guys think his spurs will grow back?

I'm sure it will grow back. Grubby, my roo, had the same problem, his spur got knocked off somehow and he was bleeding profusely. However, I stopped it with flour (I didn't have any real stuff). It would occasionally get bumped and start bleeding again but he's fine now and his spurs grew back though his spurs are shorter and darker now.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
After living in Seattle for 3 years with a flock of 6 chickens, I'm moving to the country, where of all freaking things they dont allow chickens inside the incoroprated areas. This is really upsetting to me and the wife, as we love our hens and enjoy their company.

Does anyone in the Puget sound area feel up for adopting or have any resources to point me at?
3 younger hens 1 year old (2 amercauna 1 rhode island) 3 older hens pushing 3 years (2 austhorps 1 rhode island)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Raw_Beef posted:

After living in Seattle for 3 years with a flock of 6 chickens, I'm moving to the country, where of all freaking things they dont allow chickens inside the incoroprated areas. This is really upsetting to me and the wife, as we love our hens and enjoy their company.

Does anyone in the Puget sound area feel up for adopting or have any resources to point me at?
3 younger hens 1 year old (2 amercauna 1 rhode island) 3 older hens pushing 3 years (2 austhorps 1 rhode island)

Any way that you could just quietly keep the hens inside your backyard and hope that no neighbors notice them and complain?

I just found out that while our city allows people to keep hens in their backyards, my neighborhood deed restrictions specifically say "no livestock or poultry." However, a neighbor who was 200 yards away from me had hens and a rooster for fifteen years and no one bitched. One of their hens escaped and lived on my driveway for several months before a cat killed it (all the neighbors thought it was my chicken). Another neighbor down the street had a potbellied pig. Our deed restrictions also say "no fences over 4' high" and everyone has 6' to 8' wood privacy fences.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
We're unsure if where we're going to end up living will even have the yard space available to keep hens, and trying to rent and telling landlords you want to keep chickens is a good way to get denyed right away.

Its possible we could ninja-chicken, but as others have said in the thread, its a horrible feeling to have to worry that some neighbor or landlord might find out and land you with $$/day/chicken type fees.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Raw_Beef posted:

We're unsure if where we're going to end up living will even have the yard space available to keep hens, and trying to rent and telling landlords you want to keep chickens is a good way to get denyed right away.

Its possible we could ninja-chicken, but as others have said in the thread, its a horrible feeling to have to worry that some neighbor or landlord might find out and land you with $$/day/chicken type fees.

Rent from me! I own a 2 family, really close to public transport.

I hear you completely though. Their legality is somewhat questionable in Boston. Farm and auxiliary animals are not allowed, but they do carve out exceptions for people raising them for shows, but the official exemptions are hard to get. Most people here get their neighbors on board and keep quiet about it.

I thought about it for a long time before I took the plunge but if I was still renting there is absolutely no way I would do it.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Another site about egg breakout and how to tell fertile from infertile: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/160/breakout-analyses-guide-for-hatcheries

You can try to encourage your girls to go broody by marking a few eggs with an 'x' from a pencil, then leaving just those eggs in the nest for about a week (the X is so you can tell the old eggs from fresh ones). Once they go broody and start to set, swap out the old, nasty X'ed eggs with fresh ones for them to hatch. Needless to say, don't eat the old eggs, toss 'em.

Your roo being preened so lovingly by his hen is adorable. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

That is one happy rooster, with 35 hens to "sit" on. Roostroyer would be incredibly jealous! :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

That is one happy rooster, with 35 hens to "sit" on. Roostroyer would be incredibly jealous! :)

Roo would probably kill himself chasing so many tails :ohdear:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Man, I really wish Chicago winters weren't so snowy! Having chickens would be a blast, and I'd love to be able to go outside whenever I want some nuggets or eggs. :(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Little Miss RKO posted:

Man, I really wish Chicago winters weren't so snowy! Having chickens would be a blast, and I'd love to be able to go outside whenever I want some nuggets or eggs. :(

Rochester NY winters are horrible. Just build/buy a nice coop, and get cold-hardy chicken breeds. :)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Little Miss RKO posted:

I think your problem is the chickens would be a lot tougher than you are. Seriously it is a certain measure of responsibility and if you do it you can't be in love with just the idea of. having chickens.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Another site about egg breakout and how to tell fertile from infertile: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/160/breakout-analyses-guide-for-hatcheries

You can try to encourage your girls to go broody by marking a few eggs with an 'x' from a pencil, then leaving just those eggs in the nest for about a week (the X is so you can tell the old eggs from fresh ones). Once they go broody and start to set, swap out the old, nasty X'ed eggs with fresh ones for them to hatch. Needless to say, don't eat the old eggs, toss 'em.

Your roo being preened so lovingly by his hen is adorable. :)

Thanks for the info! I only got into chickens a few months ago, mostly because hey, I live on a farm, might as well keep some livestock.

That picture is from about 20 minutes after I introduced the rooster to the rest of the flock. The brown hens tried for about 30 seconds to establish dominance over him in their pecking order then he did a crazy little dance, chased them all into the coop, and they've adored him ever since. He crows a lot and tries to act tough, but he's actually somewhat scared of me. Most of the time he runs away when he see me coming and he only lets me touch him when he's roosting for the night. Not that that will stop him from eating out of my hand. Still has his spurs too but he hasn't attempted to use them on me or injured a hen yet so I'm going to let him keep them for now.

E: Little Miss RKO: I live 3 hours northwest of Toronto in Ontario and many of the Amish in the area keep their flocks over winter without even the courtesy of any kind of heater. For over-wintering I'll be putting small heaters into the waterers and installing a few heat lamps to keep the temperature in the coop above freezing. During a typical winter here it can get as low as -20C outside before windchill and I've had to dig my way out of the house a couple times.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 23, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Little Miss RKO posted:

"Whenever you want some nuggets"? What exactly does this mean? Do you think you can just get chicken mcnuggets by casually pulling them off of your chickens? Have you ever slaughtered a bird and cleaned it?

Also, raising and caring animals because you would like to "just be able to step out the back door for free food" is idiotic. You don't raise animals to increase convenience, you start a window herb garden. You raise animals to improve your quality of life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I waited so long with the camera to get a somewhat still chickpile. They would all be settling down and then one of them decided to readjust and that woke up the two who were using her as a pillow. They got all set again until another one walked by and decided they wanted to be at the bottom of the pile so she plowed her way in.

Not sure about the Welsummer at top. She must have had too much to drink because she was passed out flat on her face.

Your description reminds me of the video that caught Roostroyer (class of 2011) plowing his way through a sleeping chick pile http://youtu.be/gOXS_cPU2Tw

Face plants are disturbing to me - like when Linc (class of 2012) hatched out of her egg! I wondered - is there a problem! http://youtu.be/QdKRFB6X4ME

Your chicks are adorable!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 23, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

He crows a lot and tries to act tough, but he's actually somewhat scared of me. Most of the time he runs away when he see me coming and he only lets me touch him when he's roosting for the night. Not that that will stop him from eating out of my hand. Still has his spurs too but he hasn't attempted to use them on me or injured a hen yet so I'm going to let him keep them for now.

Food is the way to win a chicken's heart. Keep visiting, feeding, and talking to your chickens and they'll start to associate you with nice things (especially food treats) and will come running every time you appear. :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Inveigle posted:

Food is the way to win a chicken's heart. Keep visiting, feeding, and talking to your chickens and they'll start to associate you with nice things (especially food treats) and will come running every time you appear. :)

The hens already follow me around when they see me walking around with their waterers or with the bucket I use to top off their feeders. I figure he'll come around eventually.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I feel like roosters should be a little more suspicious, since they're the flock's protectors.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe he does know that one day he'll eventually end up in a stew. I want to keep the genetics strong in my flock so I'll probably be introducing a fresh rooster of one of the three breeds I'm keeping every year or two. Aside from keeping the flock from growing too large by culling younger birds I'll also likely cull hens after 2 years.

My chickens will all end up as food eventually, unless any particular bird clucks it's way into my heart. My birds and goats aren't pets, I have 2 cats and a border collie to keep me occupied in the pet-department.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Does anyone recall, if Tim the Enchanter happens to sell Silkies?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

coyo7e posted:

"Whenever you want some nuggets"? What exactly does this mean? Do you think you can just get chicken mcnuggets by casually pulling them off of your chickens? Have you ever slaughtered a bird and cleaned it?

Also, raising and caring animals because you would like to "just be able to step out the back door for free food" is idiotic. You don't raise animals to increase convenience, you start a window herb garden. You raise animals to improve your quality of life.

No, raising livestock for food is perfectly fine, as long as they are treated humanely. Why do you think humans domesticated chickens in the first place, just for funsies and cock jokes?

You should check out notsoape's meat rabbit thread in GWS -- a perfect example of raising animals in great conditions solely for eatin' purposes. Keeping livestock on a small scale for personal consumption is much more humane than the way the meat and eggs you buy at the store were produced.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

I think he said he doesn't sell his chickens, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I don't think raising poultry or cattle for convenience is idiotic, but that's just my opinion. Chickens were domesticated for food, that's their primary function. That some people like me and many others keep them as pets is more an exception than the rule.

Some of us grew up with the notion that some animals are food, and it doesn't matter how much you love your pet, it is technically food. My grandparents and pretty much everybody on my mother's side of the family grew up in a rural town in Mexico where they'd raise and eat poultry, pigs, and other animals. I even remember the goats my grandma was raising to eventually turn into birria for a cousin's wedding. The goats were so friendly and cute, that I felt bad they were gonna turn into a meal. That didn't stop me from eating them in the wedding :v:

The difference between the goats and my chickens is that my chickens have the role of pets, I don't see it wrong that some people raise chickens or other farm animals because it's easy and they get "free" meat. However, when you raise an animal to be your pet, you are much more emotionally invested, thus you see it wrong that people raise other chickens for food because you wouldn't be able to kill and eat your own pet. I'm like that, I can't kill something I've named and become attached to, but that doesn't stop me from eating delicious chicken. It is the killing part that upsets me because I don't have the stomach to do it, but I admit that I don't have problems eating somebody else's chicken as long as I don't see how they kill it.

Not everybody share my opinion, and some feel more strongly about the subject (it's stupid to keep food as pets / how can you still eat chicken after taking care of your flock, etc) that others, but there's so much gray in this issue that I don't think there's ever been a black or white answer.

It may sound hypocritical, but I'm trying to be honest here :(.

Chido fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 24, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

piscesbobbie posted:

I usually do not,sorry.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I've no problem with people raising their chickens for meat. The only reason I don't is I went into it with the idea of them being pets, not food. On top of that, I wouldn't know how to kill them humanely or deal with the cleaning. I'd much rather eat my own chickens than a chicken I don't know where it's been or what kind of life it's lived.

But I think that's what coyo7e meant, it's not as easy as you seen to think, you can't just wave your hand at the bird you want for dinner and have them turn into a supermarket plucked cleaned and dressed chicken. (Unless it's Chidos Roo, at which point "plucked, cleaned and dressed" has a totally different meaning :v:)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim the Enchanter posted:

I usually do not,sorry.

Thank you Tim. Can you recommend a hatchery or do you know of anyone in Utah that sells Silkies? I tried looking on line but did not find much for the state of Utah. Most of what I read were problems that were probably due to inbreeding. When Silkies became so popular people were out of control. There is a Poultry Fancy Show in October, perhaps I might have some luck then!

Inbreeding - what a problem. This lady I work with, her granddaughter bought two puppies a brother and sister and is selling their offspring. I said NOOOOOO that is so wrong!

Some folks do anything for money.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm afraid I don't really know much about anyone selling or breeding in Utah but if you just want Silkies for pets a hatchery is definitely the way to go, most hatcheries vaccinate at birth and that alone will drastically improve their quality of life. A lot of people have taken to buying up various bantam bird breeds and just selling oodles of hatching eggs and babies with no thought to whose sitting on whom and no vaccinations,just to take advantage of the resurgence in chickens popularity as pets. You wont get show quality birds most of the time from a hatchery but pet quality Silkies are still adorable.

I don't sell eggs or babies because you sometimes cant tell what a birds going to look like as an adult,they go through some drastic changes during their first molts. I cull birds at birth that have defects and any more as they grow,the adults that aren't breeder quality or show quality go to the dinner table. I avoid selling adults because I don't like the idea of my birds going to someone whose sole purpose in having birds is to make a profit.

I like to think of myself as my birds butler/matchmaking service,I keep their home and make their food as well as hook them up with each other. All they gotta do is be fat and happy and occasionally get prodded by strange men in white lab coats when the state vet comes around or at the shows.

Less talk,more birds. Same babies as before only a few weeks older! Fat white hen Pepper shows up in some of them because she wanted the mealworms I was handing out.

The fat white clucker approaches.

No babies,my mealworms!

I keep a lot of rolls of welded wire around.

Since Pepper decided to drag her round butt into this I wrangled up two of her daughters for a group photo. Pepper- Da Momma, Onion- Da Daughter, and Squash- Da baby. They dont like standing still for family photos.

This concludes Cochin update and associated ramblings.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So I took some pictures of my flock and their present accomodations.

Rooster watching over his harem.

I guess this hen was feeling a bit anti-social.

My border collie puppie eyeing down the sex links.

Sex link yard, boy they sure poop a lot. I just fenced this area off for them to get outside time away from the brown hens 2 weeks ago.

Das coop. This building was used as a coffee shack by the amish who owned the farm before me, I dragged it near the barn to use as a coop because the existing coop is basically a rotting heap of scrap wood.

Sex link side of the coop, until they are on the same laying mash as the brown hens I'm keeping them separated. In about 4 weeks they'll be on the laying mash and the nestbox wall will be moved to open up the inside of the coop.

Brown hen side of the coop, the rooster tends to chill with the brown hens but sometimes he goes to the other side to get some underage hen action. As you can tell he also likes to roost on the nest boxes over night.

I dropped an egg while doing the collection because taking pictures and holding eggs is hard. :downs: Took mere seconds for the hens to realize and it turned into a feeding frenzy.

So, there's a reason why I only have 29 sex link pullets right now. Meet number 30, who was cornered nearly pecked to death by the brown hens. In the space of about an hour they had totally skinned her head and neck. Not being the wasteful sort of person I put it out of it's misery and since it was the size of a cornish game hen I figured I might as well toss it in the freezer until I felt like having some chicken for dinner. E: Killing a chicken humanely and then dressing it is not hard to do. You truss the legs, chop the head off (they DO tend to flutter a bit when you do this but it is a very quick death), hang it upside down to let the blood drain. If you want to keep the skin you scald them to make feather plucking easier. If you don't want to keep the skin you just use a knife to cut the the skin near the breast and then peel. The offal is the only hard part, you have to reach up inside and pull it out without puncturing the organs. The lungs are the hardest part to remove because they are attached to inside of the carcase near the neck, chances are your first few times you won't remove them fully, don't worry about it. Once you've dressed a chicken a few times you get the hang of it and can do it fairly quickly and humanely.

Oh god the eggening. As of today the ones in the yellow container are 2 weeks old, the rest have been laid more recently than that. I like egg salad and pickled eggs so I tend to let them sit around awhile until they're old enough for easy post-boil peeling. I'll probably be cooking most of the pictured eggs this weekend.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 24, 2012