Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

James Stokoe is on 4chan's /co/ talking about Godzilla and showing off future pages and answering questions. In case you don't want to subject yourself to actually browsing 4chan, I'll paraphrase the topic:

Page from issue 2 (linked for possible spoiler)

And some miscellaneous info which I'll spoiler just in case:
-There will be a space battle
-Final showdown in Antarctica
-Stokoe's favorite monsters are SpaceGodzilla and Ebirah
-New, original monsters will appear in issue 3
-There are Mothra hippies
-In talks with IDW about doing something special for the collected edition like a foldout cover
-Godzilla's ridiculous scream is based on an oscilloscope readout from the first film.

In regards to posting his work online:

quote:

"Haha, if I was worried about large demographics, I wouldn't be in comics. I just like my annual chat with fans. Also, I can smell from 10 miles away when people are talking about Godzilla. It's like blowing into a conch shell to assemble your team."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Just to be contrary, seeing this turn into the stupid later Godzilla movies is exactly what I want.

But yeah, it's awesome so far, of course.

Also:

James Stokoe posted:

Can't work on a post-1998 Godzilla project without sliding in a subtle "gently caress YOU" to the American remake.

I think he's got it covered.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Whoa.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I followed up on the Monkeybrain Comics thread by picking up the second issues of Aesop's Ark and Amelia Cole & The Unknown World. So far, a mix of underwhelming and promise.

Aesop's Ark has this problem of being a great premise that ends up being a little too on-the-nose. I really hope the non-fables portions of the writing shape up because I love the art, I think there's a lot of fun to be had and I do adore myself some parables. It looks like this is going to keep clipping on at a ten-page rate ... which I personally think is a poor choice. Since there's no real release date on these books, I feel it could stand to have a bit more care taken to produce a 20/30 page issue. C

Amelia Cole is the kind of ... I ... I think I kind of like it. Let me put it like this - the art is not for me. It is a little like the stuff you'll see in Harry Potter novels, which is a bit stiff for my tastes. And the premise delivers far more than the script does... but where I'm really sold is the world(s)-building and the character of Amelia Cole. In two issues I feel far more involved in the book and Amelia's conundrum than I typically would find myself considering. So, I'll pick up the next issue and see if things shape up. C+

datingvolcanoes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 9, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Japanese movies already jabbed at 1998 Godzilla. In Giant Monsters All-Out Attack they officially demote the creature to "Zilla" and in Final Wars they have Godzilla fight Zilla and totally wreck his poo poo instantly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love How they're developing the relationship between Conan and Belit in Conan. As a fat, goony, internet male, I cannot help but to sigh wistfully and mummer, "How romantic."

Seriously, though. In the Howard stories we only knew they were match because we were told. Here, we're shown how much they're in love, the tiny sacrifices they make for each other as well as the large and I actually buy it. It's now about more than two people drawn together cuz they like killing poo poo. Both characters are getting really humanized by this relationship. I love it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

al-azad posted:

James Stokoe is on 4chan's /co/ talking about Godzilla and showing off future pages and answering questions. In case you don't want to subject yourself to actually browsing 4chan, I'll paraphrase the topic:

Page from issue 2 (linked for possible spoiler)

And some miscellaneous info which I'll spoiler just in case:
-There will be a space battle
-Final showdown in Antarctica
-Stokoe's favorite monsters are SpaceGodzilla and Ebirah
-New, original monsters will appear in issue 3
-In talks with IDW about doing something special for the collected edition like a foldout cover
-Godzilla's ridiculous scream is based on an oscilloscope readout from the first film.

In regards to posting his work online:

:drat:

Everything about that is just awesome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's really great about Belit she's actually drawn accurately based on Howard's description. Most artists draw her according to this cover of Weird Tales but it's a terrible depiction. Belit is a Shemite with fierce eyes, ivory pale skin, and she's supposed to be a fatalistic badass and this series succeeds on that part. Hopefully it will set the standard for her future appearances.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, I have to admit I'm a newcomer when it comes to indie comics, but does Dynamite count here? Because I have to say, I am really loving loving the first two issues of The Shadow.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, I have to admit I'm a newcomer when it comes to indie comics, but does Dynamite count here? Because I have to say, I am really loving loving the first two issues of The Shadow.

If it's not Marvel or DC and doesn't have another thread (because I don't know if I'd toss Vertigo in with DC or not), it goes here. So yeah, Dynamite is good here.

What is it you like about The Shadow? I'm a bit curious, as I've always dug the idea of the character, but my only real exposure was the movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bairfanx posted:

If it's not Marvel or DC and doesn't have another thread (because I don't know if I'd toss Vertigo in with DC or not), it goes here. So yeah, Dynamite is good here.

What is it you like about The Shadow? I'm a bit curious, as I've always dug the idea of the character, but my only real exposure was the movie.

Oh well I'm a big old school fan of the radio dramas. I hate the film from what I remember. The comic so far seems to be Ennis doing his best mature Indiana Jones impression, which I don't mind at all. It doesn't feel too much like the older Shadow to me in some parts just because of the ol' ultraviolence but I don't mind in this case just because it feels properly pulpy and true to the period.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 14, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Just a quick question.
With The Massive #3 out last week and Saga #6 out today - both are at the end of their particular story arcs.

Is there a long break between each arc? I don't want to have to wait like 6 months before the next issue is released - it's hard enough waiting month-to-month!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

friendo55 posted:

Just a quick question.
With The Massive #3 out last week and Saga #6 out today - both are at the end of their particular story arcs.

Is there a long break between each arc? I don't want to have to wait like 6 months before the next issue is released - it's hard enough waiting month-to-month!

According to Previews, no.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

friendo55 posted:

Just a quick question.

There's a two month break for Saga so that they don't have to use any fill-in artists. Saga #7 should be out in November.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

friendo55 posted:

Just a quick question.

Saga is back in November.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

al-azad posted:

Don't call it a mothramobile

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

I'm assuming this is the correct thread to post Kickstarters. Either way, here are some Kickstarters that I believe deserves some attention.

Ultrasylvania Dracula & Frankenstein's Monster are world leaders in 19th century Europe, dealing with plots, romance, politics - and an Egyptian.
Pawn Shop Love and Life in NYC A slice-of-life graphic novel about 4 strangers whose lives intertwine through a New York City pawn shop. - I really like comic books about oridinary people without some supernatural crap going on (that's fun too!), so I was instantly sold on this one. Also the creator sent me a private message asking me to help promote his project or something. Only 25 hours left
reMIND reMIND is an award winning, all ages graphic novel in a beautiful full color, hard bound, numbered and signed book. Only 28 hours left

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Bastastic posted:

I'm assuming this is the correct thread to post Kickstarters. Either way, here are some Kickstarters that I believe deserves some attention.

reMIND reMIND is an award winning, all ages graphic novel in a beautiful full color, hard bound, numbered and signed book. Only 28 hours left

Youve sold me on this and debating on Pawn Shop or not - drat Kickstarter is addicting once you're browsing around. Thanks for the heads up!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Did anyone buy the Prophet (digital) trade? Can you confirm whether or not it has the back-ups?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't read anything by Mark Waid except Kingdom Come but Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom was horribly boring. The pacing was all over the place and felt like a two issue story compressed in a single volume. Good art, terrible writing.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I could not have told you that I'd be 1/5th as excited about a monthly comic half a year ago, but both Saga and Prophet have me chomping at the bit for more. What amazing books.

Based on the last issue of Saga I can only assume its getting enough sales to see more and more of the series. Are there any other similar titles to it?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

I haven't read anything by Mark Waid except Kingdom Come but Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom was horribly boring. The pacing was all over the place and felt like a two issue story compressed in a single volume. Good art, terrible writing.

Man, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I do agree that it feels fast-paced, but I prefer that to having to wait six issues to find out who our cast is.

I can't believe there's a poster on here who isn't reading Waid's Daredevil.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I mentioned liking MIND MGMT before but #4 today has cemented it as a series to really watch out for. The plot flows at a consistent pace and it has one of the best narrative voices I've seen in a while.

bairfanx posted:

Man, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I do agree that it feels fast-paced, but I prefer that to having to wait six issues to find out who our cast is.

I can't believe there's a poster on here who isn't reading Waid's Daredevil.

I'll give it a second shot when #2 hits, only because I love Rocketeer, but the first page immediately soured me for the rest of the book.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 23, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did anyone else think both Incorruptible and Irredeemable kind of fizzled at the end? I finally got around to reading the last issues of each and it just kind of fell flat for me.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Len posted:

Did anyone else think both Incorruptible and Irredeemable kind of fizzled at the end? I finally got around to reading the last issues of each and it just kind of fell flat for me.

Yeah, I felt like Waid lost interest before he tapped out. I had lost interest in Irredeemable myself about halfway through, and the last 7 or so issues of Incorruptible didn't satisfy. Great concepts to start with, though.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'm still really enjoying Planetoid. Ken Garing handles writing, art, and one I sometimes take for granted, lettering. The first two are handled quite well. I find his art style choices complement the story nicely. The third is a problem for me, all due to the choice of font. The one he uses is slanted, like italics. This results in my brain automatically reading everything as if it were spoken in an unnecessarily serious manner. Of course, in some scenes it's fine, but it doesn't always fit. Overall, a minor complaint. I'm definitely sticking with the series for now.

Edit: I posted a bit from the current issue in the Badass thread.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 23, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Image have thrown a bunch of number ones and some "spiritual" number ones up on Comixology for FREE.

So y'know you now have literally no excuse not to at least try out the first issues of Prophet, Fatale, Glory, Saga, The Manhatten Projects...

Basically there's a hell of a lot of good free comics to try out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never saw myself creating a Comixology account. That ended this morning.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Image really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to digital comics, giving away the first issue to get people hooked? That's brilliant.I don't know why Marvel or DC don't do this, I can easily see myself buying some trades if I like these #1s

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What about the titles in the Archaia sale they have ongoing? Really interested in the Iron Duke.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How long is Saga going to be on break for? It's one of the few singles I buy and I want more of it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Len posted:

How long is Saga going to be on break for? It's one of the few singles I buy and I want more of it.
Vaughan said in the letters column of #6 that it's back in November

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Threep posted:

Vaughan said in the letters column of #6 that it's back in November

I honestly didn't even thing to look there. I've just skipped all those words :doh:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
You skipped the letters page? The Saga letters page is amazing, you should go back and read them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Image really seem to know what they're doing when it comes to digital comics, giving away the first issue to get people hooked? That's brilliant.I don't know why Marvel or DC don't do this, I can easily see myself buying some trades if I like these #1s

If there was a monthly subscription service, I don't see myself ever canceling it. Ala Netflix.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

You skipped the letters page? The Saga letters page is amazing, you should go back and read them.

Seconding this as the letters are nearly as much fun as the story itself.

I've got Jeff Lemire's Underwater Welder arriving in the mail any day now from Amazon, and hearing such praise regarding Essex County & Lost Dogs, I can't wait to read it. Has anyone else read this yet?

Being from the essex county area I should probably get around to reading that too!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

friendo55 posted:

I've got Jeff Lemire's Underwater Welder arriving in the mail any day now from Amazon, and hearing such praise regarding Essex County & Lost Dogs, I can't wait to read it. Has anyone else read this yet?

It's REALLY goddamn good. Probably my favorite of his works, although I haven't read LOST DOGS, just ESSEX and SWEET TOOTH.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
You guys haven't read The Nobody? Call yourself fans.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
OK I was the optimistic one but now I feel like we're never going to see Secret again. I can't find anything about what's going on with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

OK I was the optimistic one but now I feel like we're never going to see Secret again. I can't find anything about what's going on with it.

I'm in the same boat about Frankenstein Alive, Alive. The first issue came out three or four months ago and #2 was supposedly supposed to come out yesterday. Nothing. IDW doesn't even have it listed on their website.