Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Mak0rz posted:

Plutonia on Ultra-Violence is a skill test in itself.

I can imagine - I have tested Final Doom before ( never owned it, though ), and from what I remember it was difficult as hell.

I finished Ultimate Doom on Ultra-Violence, and the fourth episode - past the first few levels - was surprisingly tame in difficulty. I remember it being much harder than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

And I've never been able to beat Infinity, that bastard of a game. Can anybody else who loves this poo poo give me some pointers for that?

Where are/were you having trouble? Acme Station followed by Post Naval Trauma are probably the two hardest parts of the entire series; if you're getting stuck there, the best advice I can give you is:
- grab the oxygen tanks on Acme only when you're very low - there are no chargers, so you need to make them last as long as possible, and they're a full refill no matter how low you are
- don't try to explore the entire level, just figure out where you need to go and go there as fast as possible; you may need to play it multiple times and/or look at a map
- once you arrive on Post Naval Trauma run, don't walk, to the nearest air fill station; if you do save before finding it, save in a separate slot.

Storywise, Infinity is kind of confusing, but here's the basic idea: the game opens with the W'rkncacnter being released and everyone dying. This is obviously a bad thing and you spend the rest of the game hopping between different timelines trying to find a way to keep that from happening. This includes checking out a timeline where you have been captured and reprogrammed by Tycho, and going back as well as sideways to revisit events from M2 from a different perspective. Each chapter ends with an "electric sheep" level which gives you a chance to skip around to different timelines if you're good enough (and by default just takes you to the dream level), a "dream level" where you can choose to leave this timeline, or stick around and see how it would end, and an "ending level" that shows you how things go wrong in that timeline (and from which your only choice is to proceed to the next timeline).

So, the whole game is basically a sequence of:
- go back/sideways in time and change the course of events
- go forward (the dream+ending levels) to see if you've fixed things
- if not, repeat with another timeline
Ending when you finally find a way to contain the W'rkncacnter.

The Marathon Story Page on Dream Levels and Failed Timelines has a bunch of diagrams trying to visualize this. I'm not entirely sure they succeeded; the huge one in the middle of the page is probably the best overall if you have a huge monitor. The one nearest the bottom is definitely the clearest; it's wrong in some minor aspects but gets the idea across very well.

quote:

And does anyone know if Pathways Into Darkness has been made playable on modern machines? My only experience with it was from a screenshot LP.

Pathways has never been open-sourced or ported to modern OSes; there have been a few attempts at remaking it in other engines, but all of them are incomplete. Your best bet is to set up SheepShaver, install MacOS in it (anything between 7 and 9 should work; I think 7 is available for free from Apple's website these days), and install Pathways on that. It's kind of a pain but totally worth it.

If you don't insist on having textured floors and ceilings and can dig up a copy of ARDI Executor, you can play it in that without needing to install MacOS from scratch first, but honestly MacOS takes little enough effort to install that it's worth going with SheepShaver just for the various PPC features.

Now I need to replay M2 and Mi and it's all your fault.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ToxicFrog posted:

Now I need to replay M2 and Mi and it's all your fault.

Sorry, thank you. I really would like to know if anybody else feels that the historical inspirations Bungie chose for this series hint at some real interesting poo poo, as I've felt, but haven't had the... cultural familiarity? Perhaps? To understand, if that makes any sense. I mean, why this?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

There's a hojillion remix/replacement soundtrack WADs for Doom, but are there any for Heretic? It seems almost wrong to have the effects updated so much with Heretic++ and then use the same old MIDI dirges.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the Marathon games it's important to keep looking at the map so you can spot paths you haven't taken yet. This is harder in Infinity since there's so much overlapping space it turns into a total rats nest but sometimes it's the best way to have a new idea about where to go.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Dominic White posted:

There's a hojillion remix/replacement soundtrack WADs for Doom, but are there any for Heretic? It seems almost wrong to have the effects updated so much with Heretic++ and then use the same old MIDI dirges.

Somebody did at least one for JDoom way back in the day. I probably still have it kicking around somewhere. I'll try and find it after I get out of work.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

Where are/were you having trouble? Acme Station followed by Post Naval Trauma are probably the two hardest parts of the entire series; if you're getting stuck there, the best advice I can give you is:
- grab the oxygen tanks on Acme only when you're very low - there are no chargers, so you need to make them last as long as possible, and they're a full refill no matter how low you are
- don't try to explore the entire level, just figure out where you need to go and go there as fast as possible; you may need to play it multiple times and/or look at a map
- once you arrive on Post Naval Trauma run, don't walk, to the nearest air fill station; if you do save before finding it, save in a separate slot.

Acme Station is incredibly difficult (and crappy) either way, but if you find the SMG on Poor Yorick, the Fusion Pistol on Confound Delivery, and/or the Shotguns on either Poor Yorick or the secret levels Aie Mak Sicur or Two for the Price of One, it'll help out a lot. The Fusion Pistol is the most important; on Confound Delivery, it's sitting in a pit of water where all the Juggernauts are.

But the level is still a crap shoot if you're not familiar with it, since half the time you can get lost and suffocate or get trapped between Cyborgs and get murdered.

Post Naval Trauma has an oxygen tank right at the start of the level, as well as a save point. The recharger isn't until about halfway through. I would definitely save as soon as possible, since dying and having to go back to Acme Station is the worst. It's the double-worst if you didn't find the save on Acme either (it's not in an obvious location).

Also, fun fact: your oxygen drains more quickly when you run, so if you don't know where you're going, you should probably walk. It also drains more quickly when you shoot, but you can't really avoid that. (It also drains more quickly on Total Carnage, which is why Acme Station is so drat difficult on that setting.)

ETA: also, oxygen tanks only fill a half bar, not the entire bar, so you can safely grab one at the halfway mark.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 23, 2012

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Dominic White posted:

Someone did a "Heretic 2012" rearrangement wad, I never bookmarked the site but I used to be able to get there by googling the filename (he also did Doom 1/2). Now it just turns up all these super skeezy rapidsearch things, I guess the site's gone. I could uh, email it to you I guess? File is H2012MUS.wad if you want to try.

It's actually really faithful to the "midi dirges" to the point where some stages I wonder if it's even playing the arranged version or the midi, but it does sound nicer in general.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

Acme Station is incredibly difficult (and crappy) either way, but if you find the SMG on Poor Yorick, the Fusion Pistol on Confound Delivery, and/or the Shotguns on either Poor Yorick or the secret levels Aie Mak Sicur or Two for the Price of One, it'll help out a lot. The Fusion Pistol is the most important; on Confound Delivery, it's sitting in a pit of water where all the Juggernauts are.

But the level is still a crap shoot if you're not familiar with it, since half the time you can get lost and suffocate or get trapped between Cyborgs and get murdered.

Post Naval Trauma has an oxygen tank right at the start of the level, as well as a save point. The recharger isn't until about halfway through. I would definitely save as soon as possible, since dying and having to go back to Acme Station is the worst. It's the double-worst if you didn't find the save on Acme either (it's not in an obvious location).

Also, fun fact: your oxygen drains more quickly when you run, so if you don't know where you're going, you should probably walk. It also drains more quickly when you shoot, but you can't really avoid that. (It also drains more quickly on Total Carnage, which is why Acme Station is so drat difficult on that setting.)

ETA: also, oxygen tanks only fill a half bar, not the entire bar, so you can safely grab one at the halfway mark.

Infinity's Total Carnage difficulty does not gently caress around. It was designed for diehard fans who were already resolved to memorize every level anyway.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want to do Quake multiplayer as well, mainly because I have never been able to get into a decent multiplayer game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gooby on rails posted:

Infinity's Total Carnage difficulty does not gently caress around. It was designed for diehard fans who were already resolved to memorize every level anyway.

And then if you think you're really hardcore you can try the Vidmaster Challenge Levels.

(I've unlocked them but have never even beaten the first one.)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Kins posted:

As far as rare insight goes, there's a goon called Hippieman who's a massive fanboy and worked on the Xbox Live Arcade port. I'm not sure if he hangs around this thread anymore, though. I hear if you say "W’rkncacnter" seven times into a mirror he emerges from the dying sun.

And as for Pathways, nope. The best you can do is use a Macintosh emulator loaded up with System 7 or compatible.
Not if you have Doom 3 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/pathways-redux

ToxicFrog posted:

Pathways has never been open-sourced or ported to modern OSes; there have been a few attempts at remaking it in other engines, but all of them are incomplete.
Well yeah it's not complete, but hey, it's free

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

On the subject of Heretic, the well-recieved MegaWAD Masters of Chaos just got an updated release. 31 levels across three episodes, five new weapons, a few new enemies, etc.

It plays nice with that Heretic++ graphical mod too, but make sure you load H++ first (a loader helps), or it breaks the new weapons.

Yes. Just, yes. It's a huge shame this won't work with skulltag.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

And then if you think you're really hardcore you can try the Vidmaster Challenge Levels.

(I've unlocked them but have never even beaten the first one.)

Pfft the Vidmaster's Challenge is no big deal on TC. :smug:

It's only the first level (Try Again) that's particularly difficult, because unlocking the 2x recharger isn't particularly intuitive. You can use it before you reveal it, but you'd have to know it's there. If I Had a Rocket Launcher... and You Think You're Big Time? are hard too, but you have unlimited ammo for all the big guns, so you can stand back and spam at the enemies forever.

Acme Station really is, by far, the hardest part of the game -- hell, the entire trilogy -- on Total Carnage, and it's mostly the oxygen drain multiplier on top of everything else.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Yes. Just, yes. It's a huge shame this won't work with skulltag.

Oh yeah, a little additional note on Masters of Chaos - it assumes you've got keys bound to jump and crouch. There's areas in the first level where you can become stuck if you don't have them set up.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I asked on the GOG thread, but I figured a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

So assume I have none of the games in the GOG FPS sale, and I'm solely interested in the single-player experience. What would you fine folks recommend?

From that list: Unreal Gold, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, XIII for the old school ones that I've played and can for sure recommend. Unreal 2 was... really boring.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Not if you have Doom 3 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/pathways-redux

Well yeah it's not complete, but hey, it's free

"Not complete" here means "contains the first few levels of a 25-level game and is missing a bunch of stuff from those levels it does have", not "there are some minor details unimplemented". It is basically a port of the pathways demo to the Doom 3 engine.

Given that, I don't think I'd recommend it as a better option than running the original game in a VM. It's worth checking out in a "what would Pathways look like on a modern engine" way but it isn't really a substitute for actually playing Pathways.

The sad part is that it's probably the most complete Pathways remake out there. PIDRemake and MarathonPID are the other two contenders and while they are planning to remake the entire game, both of them are (a) incomplete and (b) several years abandoned.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A source port for Pathways would be really nice, but it's never going to happen since the code was MacOS specific stuff for 68000 processors and the like, not to mention that the code is probably lost forever. So someone would have to rebuild the entire game from scratch using the released game data as a reference. :(

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

RyokoTK posted:

What part of Infinity trips you up?

Every time I replay Infinity I get slowed down by Acme Station, the vacuum level. I always play on the hardest setting, and the level is nearly impossible as a result. There's a way to skip that and a few other levels, but I hate doing that.
I beat Acme Station on total carnage once. Never again. The worst is when you get all the way through Acme and just barely scrape by with a sliver of oxygen left, only to die immediately on arrival at Post Naval Trauma. Who's idea was it to have two vacuum levels in a row anyway?

I actually think the combat in Marathon is the deepest and most satisfying of any Doom style game, which is why it's a real shame they had to stick it in a bunch of annoying levels full of stupid bullshit like underwater mazes, floaty jumping puzzles over lava and switch hunts in a vacuum. The first Marathon is actually my favourite game in the series just because it has the least of that poo poo. Well, and the music helps too.

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 24, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I dunno how many of you guys like his stuff, but the Happy Video Game Nerd (who is obviously inspired by the Angry Video Game Nerd) did a video about Doom: Custom PlayStation Edition, which was released in 1995. I never knew this existed until watching the video, but it actually looks like a pretty decent port despite the horrible framerate (which would likely be unacceptable in games today, but I guess gamers back then were more tolerant) and lack of classic Doom MIDI music.

Bloodmobile posted:

Having an old game pickup group has been my ultimate video game fantasy for years, make it happen pleaaase :pray:

Zeether posted:

I want to do Quake multiplayer as well, mainly because I have never been able to get into a decent multiplayer game.

I was thinking about this a little more earlier and I thought I remembered a goon Steam group that did this. As it turns out, there is one, but it's more or less dead, invite-only, and the admin doesn't seem to use Steam much anymore.

With that said, I'm still down for some old school Quake goon matches. :) I might be able to host a server later tonight assuming my upload bandwidth isn't a total piece of poo poo for hosting like I think it is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Obeast posted:

I dunno how many of you guys like his stuff, but the Happy Video Game Nerd (who is obviously inspired by the Angry Video Game Nerd) did a video about Doom: Custom PlayStation Edition, which was released in 1995. I never knew this existed until watching the video, but it actually looks like a pretty decent port despite the horrible framerate (which would likely be unacceptable in games today, but I guess gamers back then were more tolerant) and lack of classic Doom MIDI music.
PSX Doom is really good, yeah. The new soundtrack is great too, it's just a very different atmosphere from the original game.

I believe the Archvile was removed from the console versions now because of difficulty reasons, but because of memory - he has the most animation frames out of any character in the game.

If you want to play the PSX version but don't want to delve into eBay or :filez: territory, some enterprising young sparks are recreating it in GZDoom. Or if that's not authentic enough (or you're too lazy to play video games), this guy recorded an entire playthrough done on an actual PS1. He's also done playthroughs of a bunch of other console ports. Duke 3D Saturn is really bad and weird on account of being on an entirely different engine (Slavedriver) than the PC version! On the upside, it does have DEATH TANK! The PSX version is really good, though. Here's his comparison of the PS1 and Saturn versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPr7RfWGPHw

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 24, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lork posted:

I beat Acme Station on total carnage once. Never again. The worst is when you get all the way through Acme and just barely scrape by with a sliver of oxygen left, only to die immediately on arrival at Post Naval Trauma. Who's idea was it to have two vacuum levels in a row anyway?

I actually think the combat in Marathon is the deepest and most satisfying of any Doom style game, which is why it's a real shame they had to stick it in a bunch of annoying levels full of stupid bullshit like underwater mazes, floaty jumping puzzles over lava and switch hunts in a vacuum. The first Marathon is actually my favourite game in the series just because it has the least of that poo poo. Well, and the music helps too.

This is an opportunity to plug my own scenario, but I'll pass. :shobon:

I always liked Marathon 2 for the same reasons; the number of really awfully designed levels in M2 I can number on one hand. There are some great setpieces and just generally well-designed levels in that game, and the combat is the smoothest to me.

Plus I can play that game on Total Carnage blindfolded; it's just not that hard. :smuggo:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

I believe the Archvile was removed from the console versions now because of difficulty reasons, but because of memory - he has the most animation frames out of any character in the game.

Oh sure. Get rid of the Archviles, but keep the Pain Elementals :argh:

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just discovered after 18 years the brilliance of the Doom mods, been playing a bit of Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom :)

I never knew that FPS weapons could be so glorious, my mind has become numb thanks to modern FPS games.

Having a bit of trouble loading Reinforcements From Moldova though, I've tried the GZDoom Quick launcher linked in the OP to get the order (Its Russian Overkill THEN Moldova right?) but I'm just getting errors.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Obeast posted:

I was thinking about this a little more earlier and I thought I remembered a goon Steam group that did this. As it turns out, there is one, but it's more or less dead, invite-only, and the admin doesn't seem to use Steam much anymore.

With that said, I'm still down for some old school Quake goon matches. :) I might be able to host a server later tonight assuming my upload bandwidth isn't a total piece of poo poo for hosting like I think it is.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

This is the steam group. While interest has faded, we did some events in the past that were great fun.

Quake, HL-mods, I used to host a lot of Skulltag. Anytime I post about Skulltag lately people don't seem too interested. But, hey, it's not personal. I'm sure these guys would love to do some Quake. Set a date/time, get someone to create an event in the group(or we can promote you to make the event yourself).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Temascos posted:

Just discovered after 18 years the brilliance of the Doom mods, been playing a bit of Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom :)

I never knew that FPS weapons could be so glorious, my mind has become numb thanks to modern FPS games.

Having a bit of trouble loading Reinforcements From Moldova though, I've tried the GZDoom Quick launcher linked in the OP to get the order (Its Russian Overkill THEN Moldova right?) but I'm just getting errors.

Get something like qZDL and learn how to use it (it's a utility that custom launches Doom/2 Ports along with WADs, IWADs, and PK3s. You can control what loads, and in what order. It also has the added benefit of encouraging you to organize your WAD collection.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Get something like qZDL and learn how to use it (it's a utility that custom launches Doom/2 Ports along with WADs, IWADs, and PK3s. You can control what loads, and in what order. It also has the added benefit of encouraging you to organize your WAD collection.

Yeah I've downloaded and tried it already, it's just giving me error messages. Does it matter if I use the latest versions of both Russian Overkill and and Moldova though? I heard there were some changes which may affect loading up Moldova.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Did you check if you are using an old GZDoom? It's the most common issue with Russian Overkill and other mods.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Did you check if you are using an old GZDoom? It's the most common issue with Russian Overkill and other mods.

Yeah I'm using V 1.5.06 GZDoom, RO is v1.3 and Moldova is v1.1

To save blocking up the thread on just purely my questions I'll have a look around as well for the solution (It'll be staring me right in the face :P ) Loving the hell out of Russian Overkill, Tricks And Traps became an absolute bloodbath thanks the rocket-gatling gun thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Interceptor guys have been playing the new ROTT live on TwitchTV. Very WIP, (there's basically no AI) but promising!

He didn't pick it up, though. Gotta save something for later...

EDIT: Stream is over, but they're throwing a party at PAX if you're into unfinished games and nerd conventions.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Temascos posted:

Yeah I'm using V 1.5.06 GZDoom, RO is v1.3 and Moldova is v1.1

Note that latest here is latest nightly build, which is r1444 as of this post. The latest release is hopelessly out of date and basically useless.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Well, there is a full release for 1.6.00, which is still a couple of years newer than 1.5.06. The GZDoom site just hasn't been updated yet.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So, I guess Skulltag died. But, guess what?

It's turned into something else!

Zandronum, which has forked off from Skulltag to continue the work that would have been Skulltag 98e.

The latest stable release is: Version 1.0 released on August 24, 2012.

http://zandronum.com/forum/portal.php

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kazvall posted:

So, I guess Skulltag died. But, guess what?

It's turned into something else!

Zandronum, which has forked off from Skulltag to continue the work that would have been Skulltag 98e.

The latest stable release is: Version 1.0 released on August 24, 2012.

http://zandronum.com/forum/portal.php

Hecka old news, man. Hecka.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hecka old news, man. Hecka.

Well shiiiitttt. I saw a 1.0 release today, and figured while the whole Skulltag drama/migration was old news, this was perhaps something worthy of posting.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Kazvall posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fat_old_men

This is the steam group. While interest has faded, we did some events in the past that were great fun.

Quake, HL-mods, I used to host a lot of Skulltag. Anytime I post about Skulltag lately people don't seem too interested. But, hey, it's not personal. I'm sure these guys would love to do some Quake. Set a date/time, get someone to create an event in the group(or we can promote you to make the event yourself).
Awesome! I'll try to host a Q1 server in the near future and see if I can get people from the group and this thread to play. I was going to try earlier tonight, but real life decided to intervene and it's pretty late here in California, so I doubt many goons are awake enough to play (I know there are overseas goons, but between the distance and my possibly lovely upload bandwidth, I don't see anyone having a lot of fun with the lag). :(

Also, is ezQuake still preferred for playing Quake 1/QuakeWorld online?

Edit: I just played a little ezQuake online... It was fun, but two of the guys in the server I joined (who I guess know each other IRL) were talking about their personal lives and swimming pools. Another guy joined and actually played (and killed me... a lot), but it was a little bizarre seeing two guys talk about personal stuff. :psyduck:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 25, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Well shiiiitttt. I saw a 1.0 release today, and figured while the whole Skulltag drama/migration was old news, this was perhaps something worthy of posting.
The 1.0 release is definitely worth mentioning. I'm not especially interested in it thus far from a modding perspective, because it's many many versions of ZDoom behind so there's a lot of cool features I can't use.

In other release news, Community Chest 4 is out! It's a full 32-level megawad for Doom 2, with 20 different mappers participating, that was around four years in the making. I haven't played it yet, but there's some really good mappers listed!

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Kins posted:

The 1.0 release is definitely worth mentioning. I'm not especially interested in it thus far from a modding perspective, because it's many many versions of ZDoom behind so there's a lot of cool features I can't use.

In other release news, Community Chest 4 is out! It's a full 32-level megawad for Doom 2, with 20 different mappers participating, that was around four years in the making. I haven't played it yet, but there's some really good mappers listed!

Once they get full featured they're going to start implementing newer zdoom code right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reive posted:

Once they get full featured they're going to start implementing newer zdoom code right?
I believe that's the plan, but there's been a lot of changes under the hood since whenever they stopped updating ZDoom, like a complete replacement of the resource-loading system (I believe, it's been a while since I thought about this!)so it'll probably be a really long time before I can even think about client/server Reelism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I believe that's the plan, but there's been a lot of changes under the hood since whenever they stopped updating ZDoom, like a complete replacement of the resource-loading system (I believe, it's been a while since I thought about this!)so it'll probably be a really long time before I can even think about client/server Reelism.

Yeah, the archive manager rewrite is the reason why they stopped keeping up with ZDoom, waiting for all the kinks in the new code to be fully worked out first... And then that happened, but they haven't resumed keeping up with new code because they put a bigger priority on bugfixing, and ZDoom went through several further rewrites (menu system, polyobjects, automap, input code, MIDI code...). The only major feature ZDoom got that they have cherry picked was the software 3D floor stuff. Pretty much everything else listed here from 2.4.0 onwards is missing.