Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

If people want Eddie Stanky, I have one sitting on my bench...

I've been looking to acquire some Stanky for quite some time. What year is he, and what do you want for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mrnoun posted:

I've been looking to acquire some Stanky for quite some time. What year is he, and what do you want for him?

1948 and what are you willing to offer?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

1948 and what are you willing to offer?

That's a bit old, and his defense started going to poo poo around then, but Bellhorn's not hitting and Fox is a wee little baby, so he still has value to me. Of course, I have no loving clue what you actually want or need for him, so I'll just throw out a random offer so you can decline it:

The Ted Sox trade:

1948 Eddie Stanky

The Luna Landers trade:
The rights to 2004 Bill Mueller and 1955 Wally Post from our feeder teams.

That gives you a backup 3rd baseman in case something happens to Elliott, and another option at corner outfield/trade bait. Because they're still on my feeder teams, Mueller and Post won't be available to send back to you until between seasons, but I can guarantee you the rights to them right now.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am going to decline for now.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am going to decline for now.

Of course you are, you didn't tell me what you needed so I just threw random crap out there.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I have George Sisler at first. Not a power dude but I'll be fine. If you got a guy that can play second I'd take him!

Centerfielders whose names rhyme with Floyd Doughsby should not be playing third base, let alone be in my lineup. I'll post new lineups tonight now that everyone is healthy.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 21, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

kw0134 posted:

St Paul Bearers
Would like to rectify the issue at 2B by moving Biggio there if I can find the rest of my co-owners to sign off. :ohdear:

I think I've said this before, but you need to appoint a general manager. Otherwise you're going to suck and die.

I'll do it if you stake me in, but that's not a great offer. Looking at the existing owners the other options are to make Brookyln Bruiser your manager for the purposes of running the roster because he's keen and it will annoy smasher. Then get someone else to be GM, ideally someone who is getting relegated.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

: Much better, but we're gonna have to do something about this Marty McManus problem soon. Isn't there some dude out there named Rico that can play second base? Let's get him.

: Never trust a dude named Rico.

: Pfft. Another problem I've seen. Lloyd Moseby at third? Bunch of crap if you ask me. I'd much rather have Lloyd Lindsey Young playing third base.

: HELLLLOOOOOOOOOO VICE CITY!

: *sigh* I didn't mean it literally. Also, Dr. Frank Field was a better weatherman.

: Hey, screw you, man.

: Get that silly weatherman out of here. We got lineups to post, with the return of Ken Williams. Rotation and strategies stay the same.

Lineups:

vs. left handed pitchers (no DH)

1) SS Troy Tulowitzki
2) 1B George Sisler
3) CF Al Kaline
4) LF Matt Holliday
5) RF Jesse Barfield
6) 3B Buddy Bell
7) C Ernie Whitt
8) 2B Marty McManus
9) Pitching Spot

vs. right handed pitchers (no DH)

1) 1B George Sisler
2) CF Jesse Barfield
3) SS Troy Tulowitzki
4) LF Ken Williams
5) RF Al Kaline
6) C Ernie Whitt
7) 3B Rance Mulliniks
8) 2B Marty McManus
9) Pitching Spot

vs. left handed pitchers (DH)

1) SS Troy Tulowitzki
2) 1B George Sisler
3) CF Al Kaline
4) DH Todd Helton
5) RF Jesse Barfield
6) LF Matt Holliday
7) 3B Buddy Bell
8) C Ernie Whitt
9) 2B Marty McManus

vs. right handed pitchers (DH)

1) 1B George Sisler
2) CF Jesse Barfield
3) LF Ken Williams
4) RF Al Kaline
5) SS Troy Tulowitzki
6) DH Matt Holliday
7) C Ernie Whitt
8) 3B Rance Mulliniks
9) 2B Marty McManus

: Hey RANCE(ah ah!) good job, buddy. Here, have the keys to the Astro-Cycle.

: Sweet. You know now not to deny RANCE(ah ah) his world famous Astro-Cycle! Gonna have to raise the seat up a bit.. man, what did Big Daddy V do to this thing? Ah.. here we go. All righty, time to fly! Later, losers!

: Jerk.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
A trade!

Unspecifieds receive:

'58 Whitey Ford

Juggernauts receive:

'97 Chuck Knoblauch

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

factorialite posted:

A trade!

Unspecifieds receive:

'58 Whitey Ford

Juggernauts receive:

'97 Chuck Knoblauch

Confirmed.

Put Ford in as 2 starter, send Pascual down, move everyone else down one space. Also, bring up David Ortiz and put him in at 1B

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I already approved this insanity in the other thread, but I'll reiterate that the trade is accepted and fundamentally idiotic for the Juggernauts here as well.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think I've said this before, but you need to appoint a general manager. Otherwise you're going to suck and die.

I'll do it if you stake me in, but that's not a great offer. Looking at the existing owners the other options are to make Brookyln Bruiser your manager for the purposes of running the roster because he's keen and it will annoy smasher. Then get someone else to be GM, ideally someone who is getting relegated.

It doesn't have to be anything so firm, though I rolled my eyes at appreciate your attempt to inveigle more power for yourself.

Let's vote on this:

Each of the owners of the St. Paul Bearers shall have the ability to change roles and positions within reason*, with a vote of ownership being necessary only if an objection is raised by another owner.

Transactions with other franchises shall still require a full vote.

*(reason defined in this case as playing a player at a position he is competent at - no first basemen at second, for instance)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Viscount Slim posted:

It doesn't have to be anything so firm, though I rolled my eyes at appreciate your attempt to inveigle more power for yourself.

I did say it was a bad deal. However, you do need to appoint a GM and the inability to capitalise on opportunities like the Whitey ford trade (God drat that trade) is why.

But the proof is in the pudding I guess, so let's see how long this initiative, which is eminently sensible, takes to get passed.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Viscount Slim posted:

Let's vote on this:

Each of the owners of the St. Paul Bearers shall have the ability to change roles and positions within reason*, with a vote of ownership being necessary only if an objection is raised by another owner.

*(reason defined in this case as playing a player at a position he is competent at - no first basemen at second, for instance)

Approved.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

There's no getting around it – I have huge holes at SS, CF and RF. Now ordinarily, I would turn to the dispersal draft for help, but looking up and down the Expansion Cup rosters, it seems SS and CF are pretty universal problems for this round of teams.

This leaves me with three options: 1) Get to the Expansion Cup Finals for the bonus pick (not going to happen, even if I am currently .500 against the Postmodernists); 2) Tank enough that a decent SS/CF is still on the board (a stupid idea, and I'd probably accidentally make my team better without achieving point 1); or 3) Trade out to someone who can find better value in the draft than I can, in return for filling one of the above mentioned holes, which is the way I'm currently leaning.

Also, Cthulhu, you're completely right, so have the pitcher bat eighth in both lineups.

Ginge fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 22, 2012

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

Let's vote on this:

I had earlier proposed a full time GM slot but this works just as well...or is at least no less dysfunctional.

Approved.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Also, Cthulhu, you're completely right, so have the pitcher bat eighth in both lineups.

Unfortunately whoever wrote BM2013 hasn't read the book and you're not allowed to put the pitcher in 8th. Which sucks.

Outrunner
Aug 5, 2012

Daydreamers, I have Eddie Joost that thanks to having Alan Trammell is wasting away on my bench. He'd be much better for you then Roger Peckinpaugh both offensively and defensively. What I would want in return is your first-round dispersal pick.

Outrunner fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 22, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Outrunner posted:

Daydreamers, I have Eddie Joost that thanks to having Alan Trammell is wasting away on my bench. He'd be much better for you then Roger Peckinpaugh both offensively and defensively. What I would want in return is your first-round dispersal pick.

If a first round pick is the price for Joost, I have a better version, smack in the middle of his prime (1948). 119 walks, 16 home runs, putting up a .350 OBP in the Super League.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

I don't know... I know Mogul's ratings should be taken with a dollop of salt, but the fact that both Joosts are rated lower than Peckinpaugh (whose awfulness is the biggest personality trait my team has) doesn't inspire confidence that one of them would be worth a first-round pick. I'm not saying no yet, just that I need more convincing.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

gingemidget posted:

I don't know... I know Mogul's ratings should be taken with a dollop of salt, but the fact that both Joosts are rated lower than Peckinpaugh (whose awfulness is the biggest personality trait my team has) doesn't inspire confidence that one of them would be worth a first-round pick. I'm not saying no yet, just that I need more convincing.

Eddie Joost's peak, from 1947 to 1952: .248/.386/.407, a .793 OPS. He drew nearly as many walks during those six years as Peckinpaugh drew during his entire 17-year career.

Peckinpaugh's peak, from 1916 to 1921: .268/.338/.358, a .696 OPS.

Joost's best year was 1949, when he drew 149 walks and hit 23 home runs for an OPS of .883. Peckinpaugh's best two years combined were 1917 and 1919, when he hit a total of 7 home runs and drew a total of 123 walks.

Quite simply, Joost is a more valuable offensive player in every area than Peckinpaugh.

As for defense, Peckinpaugh was a great defensive player. But the very first words of Joost's bio on wikipedia are "An outstanding defensive player." Defense is a wash.

Given their similar defense and Joost's dramatically better offense, Joost should be considered a definite upgrade over Peckinpaugh, and acquiring him is a no-brainer if you can get him at a reasonable price. Whether he's worth a 1st rounder or not is another issue that I'll leave for you to decide for yourself, but if you need a shortstop, Joost is a quality option.

...actually, you know what? I can't do this. My last 1st round Dispersal pick ended up being Hank Aaron in his prime, and I wasn't even picking all that high. A 1st round Dispersal pick is loving valuable, and you shouldn't spend it carelessly. I'm still willing to trade you my '48 Joost, and he's still definitely an upgrade for you, but I don't want to blatantly rip you off without giving you some kind of warning.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

mrnoun posted:

Eddie Joost's peak, from 1947 to 1952: .248/.386/.407, a .793 OPS. He drew nearly as many walks during those six years as Peckinpaugh drew during his entire 17-year career.

Peckinpaugh's peak, from 1916 to 1921: .268/.338/.358, a .696 OPS.

Joost's best year was 1949, when he drew 149 walks and hit 23 home runs for an OPS of .883. Peckinpaugh's best two years combined were 1917 and 1919, when he hit a total of 7 home runs and drew a total of 123 walks.

Quite simply, Joost is a more valuable offensive player in every area than Peckinpaugh.

As for defense, Peckinpaugh was a great defensive player. But the very first words of Joost's bio on wikipedia are "An outstanding defensive player." Defense is a wash.

Given their similar defense and Joost's dramatically better offense, Joost should be considered a definite upgrade over Peckinpaugh, and acquiring him is a no-brainer if you can get him at a reasonable price. Whether he's worth a 1st rounder or not is another issue that I'll leave for you to decide for yourself, but if you need a shortstop, Joost is a quality option.

...actually, you know what? I can't do this. My last 1st round Dispersal pick ended up being Hank Aaron in his prime, and I wasn't even picking all that high. A 1st round Dispersal pick is loving valuable, and you shouldn't spend it carelessly. I'm still willing to trade you my '48 Joost, and he's still definitely an upgrade for you, but I don't want to blatantly rip you off without giving you some kind of warning.

Oh, I know Joost is an upgrade on Peckinpaugh, it was the "worth a first rounder" I was wavering on. Which you're right, he probably isn't.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Oh, I know Joost is an upgrade on Peckinpaugh, it was the "worth a first rounder" I was wavering on. Which you're right, he probably isn't.

I wouldn't trade picks until smasher says how many teams are being dispersed.

Also, Joost? Really? I'll see you Woodie English instead hahah.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 24, 2012

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Expansion owners!

Did your feeder teams have a ton of hitting, but no pitching? Have injuries ravaged your rotation? Are you unafraid of the notion of accepting someone who until very recently called themselves a Brony?

The Great Googly-Mooglies are here to help! Our starting rotation currently contains 1911 Chief Bender, 1934 Mel Harder, 2011 Justin Verlander, and not one but TWO iterations of 2009 Cliff Lee. We also have the 1934 vintage of Monte Pearson, for those of you who are looking for a more economical option for your rotation.

What do we want? I'm glad you asked. The Mooglies' rotation is stacked, but the lineup is a little less so. Specifically, we're looking to upgrade at the shortstop and corner outfield spots. We could also use a good shutdown reliever and an offensive upgrade over Home Run Baker at third base.

So, if you have a surplus of bats, but need a pitcher, drop me a line!

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Sorry for the double-post, but I wanted to make people who only follow this thread aware of this trade:

Dorchester Phantoms receive: 1919 Eddie Cicotte
Rated R Superstars receive: 1928 Grover Cleveland Alexander

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Trade approved.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

The Rated R Superstars have updated their roster and lineups to reflect tonight's trades; that post can be seen here.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Some days I wonder why the Super-League isn't more popular. And then I do poo poo like hold an auction to sell off stocks in the Bearers.

The Auction for the Bearers' stock is here.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

gingemidget posted:

Hey, more serious note, what about Jhonny Peraltas for a second round pick?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Expansion Cup: June!

Analysis: You're officially hopelessly behind in the standings. The good news is that your problems are pretty clear-cut: You need a super-league quality center-fielder, and few more dependable starting pitchers. With your record, you'll be getting some high picks in the draft, so hang on to them for dear life!

Analysis: A good month! Lincecum is pitching like the ace he isn't anymore in real life, and the rest of your staff is doing laudable jobs as well. Jay Bell isn't really working out at second or as a leadoff hitter. You're in the most competitive division in the Cup, so another good month like this and you might find yourself in the lead for good.

Analysis: Del Ennis is about to be busted for steroid use any second now, but until he is, keep riding the dream! The top of your rotation is working miracles right now, but you're never going to break out of the cellar as long as your lineup remains this barren.

Analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRae5mRoRE

Analysis: The Superstars turning into a good team overnight pretty much kills any hope for the postseason. Again, there's a silver lining, as your needs are pretty simple. A better outfield and better back of the rotation guys, and you'll be set.

Analysis: What went wrong? It probably has to do with that lineup: Just not enough talent to compete with the better teams, and a crucial injury to Josh Hamilton at exactly the worst time possible. Trade up or down in the draft, so that you either get more players to patch up more holes, or a super-elite player that can carry your anemic lineup.

Analysis: Not surprisingly, adding four elite players results in a very good month. A.J. Burnett remains, though, and do you really want to lose every fifth game because of him?

Analysis: A challenger for the division title has arisen, and you'll be locked in combat with the Superstars for the rest of the season. Jimmie Foxx is languishing in the #2 hole. Put somebody, or two somebodies, ahead of him so his power isn't wasted.

Analysis: Those trades certainly helped you, but with Piazza out for the season, you're probably done. And why does Mogul hate HOF third basemen so much??

Analysis: Your rotation is underperforming, and you're being outscored by an alarming amount. Find another hitter, or die!

Analysis: Come back when you're not currently being auctioned off.

Analysis: Well, the Gumshoes are determined to make it a race. And I don't care if he's the only shortstop you've got, Peckinpaugh is murdering your loving lineup!

Analysis: Kevin Brown's out for two months? Well, you weren't going very far with that infield anyway. Your best bet right now is to tank and draft a better 2B, SS, and 3B. Not that I endorse tanking, of course.

Analysis: Uh, did you kill Johnny Hopp and steal his luck, or something? You're either going to plummet spectacularly or continue to inexplicably win games.

Analysis: Bagwell is slumping like crazy. Beat the leprechauns, dammit! The Pythagorean will not be made a fool of!

Analysis: Even with all of your injuries, you've still managed to keep within 5 games of the lead. Don't give up, little Runnin' Ramen! The children of Japan are counting on you!

Analysis: Dead on arrival.

Analysis: How are you hanging with the Daydreamers? Well, Willie Mays is the leading MVP candidate, and Nolan Ryan has a SO/9 of 12.31. Hank Thompson remains a complete disaster.

Analysis: Ken Griffey is falling apart, but your biggest problem is outside of your control. Now you have TWO extremely powerful divisionmates, which means that many more losses.

Analysis: Bunning continues his reign of terror. You should spend some of that illicit drug money on a better centerfielder, before Moseby buries you.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

I'm a little confused by the stat screens, simply because everything looks like full-season numbers. Or, in cases like BJ Ryan, three seasons' worth of numbers. 170 innings for a fragile closer in three months? :wtc:

EDIT: Wait; it looks like the stats shown are predicted, rather than actual. Maybe it's a problem with the script?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

^ it remembers your preferences, gotta keep it on default otherwise it doesn't work.

Its good for the superstars, but bad for me. I was really hoping you'd have run one more month before the roster changes. As is, I think I'm doomed.

Swap Foxx and Hornsby in the batting order Foxx is mashing those dingers.

Use Riggs at DH until Musial is back

Put Bob Johnson in LF for 2 weeks. Put Kiki on the bench for a week, then put kiki in RF for a week and put larry walker on the bench for a week, then return to the status quo

Against a really soft team put Woody English in for Banks for 3 days AND ONLY 3 DAYS.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 26, 2012

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

1. Polyarny Postmodernists (35-19)

I'm trying to understand your team. I mean, I could say you're using a bunch of slap hitters, but then you've got Barry Bonds. I could say you abuse deadball pitchers, but you're using Tudor and Reuschel. You say that you've got a plan, and I'm not sure that you do, I just think you built a strong team.

But, but, I didn't even want to use Barry! First, I tried to get the 2009 Royals for Maximum Bloomquist/Crisp/Freel action! Then, I offered to sell Bonds, but no one put much Stock into him as a rookie, I guess.

I understand there was a kerfluffle about deadball pitching in the past, so I have Tudor (who deserved to finally see the Super League) and Reuschel in lieu of Nichols and Rucker.

Anyway,

Please stop using Barry Bonds in right. Crawford in right, Bonds in left, please.

Is there no longer a "give dudes a day off once in a while" option? It's the only reason I'm carrying the likes of Tom Herr.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Not to belabor the point, but I did ask for Johnny Damon and Tris Speaker to switch positions.

edit: Also, bring Kenny Rodgers to replace Kevin Brown on the staff.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 24, 2012

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

The 'Dreamers monthly records so far: 16-12, 16-11, 16-11. That's some rather nice consistency there, and I hope it continues. Only one change this month: Ordóñez takes over full time at RF from Gamble, who is probably the biggest disappointment on my team.

Yup, that means another month of Peckinpaugh. :smith:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

My guys are winning, hitting (if only predicted), Lincecum's great so far and Bumgarner is a highly acceptable starter. I don't know if the wider gaps in other leagues suggests the top teams are great or the bottom teams aren't (or both) but at least we're starting to build up a better record. Anyway, so, changes: Wheat can swap in the batting order with Bell in my anti-righty lineup. Cain and Bumgarner in my rotation can exchange positions. Romo and Wilson in my bullpen can likewise switch places to put Romo at Closer.

As for replacing Bell at 2B... I'm hoping those defensive stats have been altered thanks to him playing badly at SS to cover for Vaughan, so we'll leave him playing there at least for one more month, I think.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 24, 2012

Outrunner
Aug 5, 2012

The good news is that we finally had a month over .500. The bad news is that apparently the deal I was thinking of for Frank Robinson won't happen as the Superstars somehow got him for next to nothing. Move John Candelaria into the spot vacated by Paul Derringer's injury.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Fixing my lineup: (DH: Mark Bellhorn in slot 9.)
Carlos Beltran
Eddie Mathews
Joe Jackson (Replace his spot with Hank Aaron until he's better)
Hank Aaron (Replace him with Bobby Bonilla whenever he is replacing an injury)
Todd Helton
Jose Vidro
Jose Reyes
Del Crandall
[Pitcher Slot]
(With the platoons I had staying except for Piazza, Reyes, and Vidro)
And my Rotation:
Warren Spahn
Pedro Martinez
Harry Krause
Dizzy Dean
Juan Pizarro
CL: Dennis Eckersley
SU: Bob Rush
Short: Brian Fuentes
Short: Heath Bell
Mid: John Franco
Long: Aaron Heilman

I think that covers everything.
:smug:Best in the world.:smug:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Vice City Goose Eggs

I don't understand why Lloyd Moseby needs to be in my lineup. First offer of anything gets him.'

Putting Ken Williams on the block too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fire Mark Ellis into the sun, replace with Rico P.
Fire Eric Chavez into the sun, replace with George Scott

Lets try these. I could have sworn I posted these changes already, but w/e