Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Lately I've been using my PSP 2000 for music purposes for the most part. Are there any homebrew MP3 players out there that have better features than the stock one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

aldantefax posted:

Lately I've been using my PSP 2000 for music purposes for the most part. Are there any homebrew MP3 players out there that have better features than the stock one?

I've only used one, called lightMP3. I was looking for an ogg player for my PSP for some reason and this was the first one that cropped up, and I've stuck with it so far - it plays a bunch of formats, and nowerdays I'm mainly using it to play things when I'm in the bath. It has had the odd stability issue every now and again, but it has some nice features;

• I believe it underclocks the PSP to try and extend battery life,
  • It has extra volume options so you can make poorly normalised tracks loud enough to hear,
  • It can turn off the PSP after it finishes playing a track/all the tracks,
  • Has options for turning the screen off immediately when you select hold
  • Has a bunch of playlist stuff I've honestly never used. So, I guess this may actually be terrible.

To be fair though, I'd hope to see these features in basically any homebrew mp3 player, so, go figure. The one downside is that it can't seem to rewind into a previous track properly.

The only other thing is that I did have to turn off 'Play MP3 using Media Engine', as occasionally that would make mp3s play all weird and then crash, but this increases CPU usage so I guess only do this if you have problems? Plus, it's pretty old I guess, but it still seems to work fine: http://code.google.com/p/lightmp3/. Of course, if anyone has a better suggestion you'll be probably helping me out, too.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
Hey, so, kind of having an issue trying to get plugins to even show up on my PSP.

I updated to Pro-C just fine and followed the Prometheus Online instructions to the letter, but for whatever reason, it won't show up in the Plugins menu under Recovery at all. I can't get it to boot into Recovery mode for some reason, but when I go into the Recovery Menu after turning the CFW on, there is absolutely nothing under the plugins menu.

Did I miss a step somewhere, or what is going on exactly?

Edit: Works fine, I just named the file game.txt so it read game.txt.txt. Lesson 1 don't make this simple mistake.

Duet fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 28, 2012

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

So, I have no way of getting anyone to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite with me, and that locks me out of getting G Rank. I have CWCheat up and working, but cannot find any code to just give me a single item or a stack of 99 of a single item so I can make a specific thing and not have to deal with an item box that has 99 of every item in the game and feel bad that I had to hack to get to G Rank.

I love the game but the game presents a literally impossible wall to access more content unless you can do multiplayer, and I can't so I am sort of reduced to this. I just need 1 weapon, or the items to upgrade one weapon I have into that weapon and that is it, but I just can't find the codes for it anywhere. Can someone help?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

So, I have no way of getting anyone to play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite with me, and that locks me out of getting G Rank. I have CWCheat up and working, but cannot find any code to just give me a single item or a stack of 99 of a single item so I can make a specific thing and not have to deal with an item box that has 99 of every item in the game and feel bad that I had to hack to get to G Rank.

I love the game but the game presents a literally impossible wall to access more content unless you can do multiplayer, and I can't so I am sort of reduced to this. I just need 1 weapon, or the items to upgrade one weapon I have into that weapon and that is it, but I just can't find the codes for it anywhere. Can someone help?

Hack it yourself, it's not hard.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I tried taking a look at it but it all honestly just makes no sense to me and my eyes sorta glaze over. I wouldn't have asked here unless I had already tried to do it myself.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Just turn on infinite health/256x damage for a hunt or two until you have a proper weapon to use for g-rank and then go about your business.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

I tried taking a look at it but it all honestly just makes no sense to me and my eyes sorta glaze over. I wouldn't have asked here unless I had already tried to do it myself.

Basically, when you have X of an item, you just search for addresses that contain that value. Then you collect another of that item and check all those previous addresses for the one that increased by 1.

Its really easy to do this kind of thing with TempAR.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."
Man, I have completely forgotten about my PSP Go. I didn't think they would ever crack this thing. In about 30 minutes my PSP Go, which was heretofore one of the biggest purchase regrets I've ever experienced, has quickly become my favorite little pocket emulator simply due to it's small size. It's not as fun in a public place like the PSP-1000 is (changing channels on various TV in sports bars during a particular game night is a lot more fun than it sounds), but still, you can't beat PS3 pairing and size.

Anyway, I've read a lot of people asking about what to buy so my vote is for the Go.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Lear posted:

It's not as fun in a public place like the PSP-1000 is (changing channels on various TV in sports bars during a particular game night is a lot more fun than it sounds), but still, you can't beat PS3 pairing and size.

This sounds... fun. Any chance of you sharing this?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
psp-3000 issue: I was playing VC2 yesterday and it seems there's a problem with the analogue nub. In the unpressed middle position it sometimes makes my cursor/dude move to the right, especially after I let go of it and it snaps back. The actual nub feels fine and is not sticking, but the control seems to stick, if that makes sense. I moved it in every direction and blew into it pretty hard, but that didn't help. Advice?

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."

RadicalR posted:

It has certainly been a few years since I was heavy into the PSP Homebrew scene, so someone may correct me on a few things. Also, if this was already said somewhere recently, the apologies in advance.

Basically the PSP-1000 (fat) is the only one that sports an irDA compatible infrared port which allows it to be used as a universal remote with the proper pronto code installed. Pronto codes are basically the unique protocols that <insert TV here>'s remotes use to control the power/volume/channel/etc.

In the Dark Alex custom firmware days there was a neat shell called IRShell that could be installed on the PSP that totally replaced the XMB, giving you a whole mess of options and utilities. One of those options was the ability to store pronto codes in a folder. Somewhere on the net, someone cobbled together 2000+ pronto codes to interface with all manner of TVs out there, and organized them into a nice folder structure (Sony/ Hitachi/ Panasonic/, etc.).

So you would start up IRShell, go into the universal remote icon, select your pronot code that matches the TV you are looking at and you were off to the races! Great for the aformentioned bars or hotels where the remote was lost.

EDIT: I think I was even able to dick around with my Xbox via the PSP 1000 using this functionality, if I recall correctly.

Lear fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 10, 2012

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

redreader posted:

psp-3000 issue: I was playing VC2 yesterday and it seems there's a problem with the analogue nub. In the unpressed middle position it sometimes makes my cursor/dude move to the right, especially after I let go of it and it snaps back. The actual nub feels fine and is not sticking, but the control seems to stick, if that makes sense. I moved it in every direction and blew into it pretty hard, but that didn't help. Advice?

I've had the same problem, but it's always been solved by moving the nub around. Get a big can of compressed air and blast the poo poo out of it would be my first instinct.

RadicalR posted:

If you think that's funny, grab a TV-B-Gone (you can find them online trivially, or in the back page of 2600 Magazine). It's a tiny little thing (fits on a keychain) and simply does one thing: blast out, at maximum strength, the "Turn Off" code for every major TV in existence.

Just don't Gizmodo it up and gently caress around with one at CES.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Paper Lion posted:

You can actually play multiplayer!

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmyp5fcr24huk1x :v:

Instead of doing their method of installing libusb, grab it from http://www.libusb.org/wiki/libusb-win32 and use the 64-bit libusb0.dll in place of the one they want you to use. This'll make it so you don't have to disable driver signing enforcement and all if you're on Windows 7.

MHPTunnel is significantly less janky and arbitrary than xlink kai, as well. This includes AdhoctoUSB, which'll let you use a USB cable to do networking.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Will these two items from Amazon be appropriate?
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...&tag=acleint-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GXKI04/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A3U5D1Y1DYYVD9&tag=acleint-20

I'm gonna grab 2 of the 16GB microSDs, and stick them (gently) in that card. I want to be sure these should work.

Thanks!

Edit:
Thanks, sir. ;)
vvvvvv

Chinook fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 14, 2012

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yeah I bought the same one and it works like a charm.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I dusted off my PSP-2000 running 6.20 PRO-B5 wanting to play some Persona 3 Portable, the game runs fine, but my saves are corrupt and I dont have any old backups that work. New saves are fine. I tried googling around and tried following this guide but had no luck. Anyone know of another way to fix this? The files were pretty far in the game so I'd rather not restart.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
http://gbatemp.net/topic/292351-how-to-recover-a-corrupt-save-after-a-fw-update/

Give this a shot.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Has anyone gotten the PSP-Heretic to work on 6.60 Pro-C? I keep getting error code 8002013c. I put the Heretic.wad in the folder with the EBOOT.php file in Games. The text file said to put it in game150, but the readme for the PSP-Doom leads me to guess that this is for older PSP's (I'm using a 3000), plus I tried that and got the same error. I'm not sure where the error is coming from at this point.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Lear posted:

Man, I have completely forgotten about my PSP Go. I didn't think they would ever crack this thing. In about 30 minutes my PSP Go, which was heretofore one of the biggest purchase regrets I've ever experienced, has quickly become my favorite little pocket emulator simply due to it's small size. It's not as fun in a public place like the PSP-1000 is (changing channels on various TV in sports bars during a particular game night is a lot more fun than it sounds), but still, you can't beat PS3 pairing and size.

Anyway, I've read a lot of people asking about what to buy so my vote is for the Go.

I was gonna buy an icontrolpad to play emulators on my phone but an actual psp go was only $20 more. It's a lot more wieldy than a crappy phone mounted controller and it also plays monster hunter.

The go is pretty much the worst device ever from Sony's point of view (what the gently caress were they thinking) but it's definitely the best general handheld... thing. I only wish that mine was in a snazzy color or at least black.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Uh, you know that there is a black PSP Go, right?

PSWII60 posted:

Has anyone gotten the PSP-Heretic to work on 6.60 Pro-C? I keep getting error code 8002013c. I put the Heretic.wad in the folder with the EBOOT.php file in Games. The text file said to put it in game150, but the readme for the PSP-Doom leads me to guess that this is for older PSP's (I'm using a 3000), plus I tried that and got the same error. I'm not sure where the error is coming from at this point.

Did you make sure that the one you got was intended for higher firmware? If you got the 1.50 version, then you're either going to need to get something like FEDA or something that'll load 1.50 binaries. (Also, try finding a signed copy - those usually work on higher firmware.)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Chinook posted:

Will these two items from Amazon be appropriate?
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...&tag=acleint-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GXKI04/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A3U5D1Y1DYYVD9&tag=acleint-20

I'm gonna grab 2 of the 16GB microSDs, and stick them (gently) in that card. I want to be sure these should work.

Thanks!

Edit:
Thanks, sir. ;)
vvvvvv

I just bought a PSP on SA-Mart and I was wondering how that adapter works does it basically combine both sd cards and show them in the psp as 32gb (or whatever the formated equivilant is)

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Photex posted:

I just bought a PSP on SA-Mart and I was wondering how that adapter works does it basically combine both sd cards and show them in the psp as 32gb (or whatever the formated equivilant is)

Yes, it shows as a single card combining the capacities.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Photex posted:

(As stated above) Yes, that's what it does. Also, these particular models arrived today and both worked perfectly. Picked up 2 of the 16 gig models and it was a breeze. Just be super careful when inserting them, and when placing it in the PSP. Apparently you should never remove it, as its pretty fragile. As long as you don't bust it putting it in, though, it's supposed to be a great solution. Works great on my end.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Chinook posted:

(As stated above) Yes, that's what it does. Also, these particular models arrived today and both worked perfectly. Picked up 2 of the 16 gig models and it was a breeze. Just be super careful when inserting them, and when placing it in the PSP. Apparently you should never remove it, as its pretty fragile. As long as you don't bust it putting it in, though, it's supposed to be a great solution. Works great on my end.

well as long as I can mount the PSP through the firmware as USB i shouldn't ever have to remove it I assume? it's been a long time since i've had a PSP (i think the last time I had one Crisis Core just came out)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Photex posted:

well as long as I can mount the PSP through the firmware as USB i shouldn't ever have to remove it I assume? it's been a long time since i've had a PSP (i think the last time I had one Crisis Core just came out)

Yeah, you can just transfer files through a microUSB cable. No need to take it out.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
I also hear that you can get at least 60 gigs of space with two 32 GB micro-SD cards and the Adapter.

Why you would need that much space I'll never know, but it's something I heard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

I also hear that you can get at least 60 gigs of space with two 32 GB micro-SD cards and the Adapter.

If you have a bunch of isos, stick in PSP = dance all night.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Finally got that adapter thing in the mail and got everything updated and all my favorite abandonware ROMs, Cave Story, etc., now I'm trying to figure out what else I want to put on here before I say "Okay, done loving around with settings and loading poo poo onto the card, now to just enjoy it".

That ISOTool application rocks for UMD backups, since it's fully automatic outside of asking me whether I want to ISO the UMD or CSO it.

I feel like there is something I'm forgetting to do to the PSP, but can't figure out what it is...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
So my friend's PSP currently thinks the Home button is constantly pressed down. Does there exist some sort of plugin that could effectively disable the Home button?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

RadicalR posted:

You can eliminate the need to put UMDs into your PSP almost completely, the only time you'd need to use them is when you buy a new game and want to rip the ISO.

UMDs can store .9/1.8GB, so some games are actually pretty big(though I think the smallest I've seen was N+ at less than 100MB), and you can fill up a memory stick without breaking the bank considering how cheap PSP UMDs tend to be.

just a butt posted:

So my friend's PSP currently thinks the Home button is constantly pressed down. Does there exist some sort of plugin that could effectively disable the Home button?

Did a quick bit of searching, there were 3 main things people recommended: disabling all plugins, reformatting flash1(I don't remember how you do this), and physically disconnecting the button.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Get a PSP1000 like me and never have to worry about it working or not.

Also you can use it as a cool remote :smug:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I am trying to set up RemoteJoyLite. I've got two major problems right now and I'm getting conflicting information from people on what the gently caress to do to fix them. I did also see the guide in the OP and followed it aside from the "install 6.35", being on 6.60 PRO-C and assuming that part was outdated.

a) all the loving copies of RJL I find are in Japanese. Even the ones that come with "rjl.exe" and "rjl_en.exe" - both of them keep giving me menus I can't read and it's a bit of a bitch when my problem might be in there!
b) After loving with it and having to track down goddamn DLLs to make it run it now boots, but it just goes "WORKING" and never picks up the PSP itself, even if I hit Reset VSH or boot it from scratch and then plug it in or whatever.

Does anyone have any goddamn idea what might help with this and/or how to keep it from driving me nuts? If I need to give more information, just tell me what and I'll give it a go.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So I am trying to set up RemoteJoyLite. I've got two major problems right now and I'm getting conflicting information from people on what the gently caress to do to fix them. I did also see the guide in the OP and followed it aside from the "install 6.35", being on 6.60 PRO-C and assuming that part was outdated.

a) all the loving copies of RJL I find are in Japanese. Even the ones that come with "rjl.exe" and "rjl_en.exe" - both of them keep giving me menus I can't read and it's a bit of a bitch when my problem might be in there!
b) After loving with it and having to track down goddamn DLLs to make it run it now boots, but it just goes "WORKING" and never picks up the PSP itself, even if I hit Reset VSH or boot it from scratch and then plug it in or whatever.

Does anyone have any goddamn idea what might help with this and/or how to keep it from driving me nuts? If I need to give more information, just tell me what and I'll give it a go.

I just setup RJL recently with a PS3 controller. When I get off work I'll try and find the two programs I used to set it up and upload them to google docs or something.

I used 6.60 PRO-C + some drivers that were for setting up your psp as a computer monitor (it installs all the drivers you need) + RJL. Then to get it consistently working I-

1. Launch PSP / Quick Flash
2. Launch game and let it fully load
3. Plug in PSP via USB
4. Launch RJL

If you want to switch games, you can normally just unplug your PSP, load new game fully, reconnect PSP.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bugamol posted:

I just setup RJL recently with a PS3 controller. When I get off work I'll try and find the two programs I used to set it up and upload them to google docs or something.

Any luck with this? Still similar issues.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Well its been a while since I posted in here, so lets dump some links.

Adventure Game Studio engine ported to PSP. Probably neat.

Newer NesterJ than whats in the OP.

Youtube video of Doom. On the PSP. Online (Using one of those old ports and the Prometheus online server).

NoUMD completely disables your UMD drive. Linking this because once I tried this, forgot about it and ended up thinking my umd drive broke for a while; and really who doesn't want to experience that?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dunno if this belongs here, or if we're jumping the gun on this, but I just saw this on Slashdot:
http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/cfvHogLLsek/psvita-hacked-native-homebrew-loader-coming-soon

TFA posted:

This could soon change, as Yifan Lu, coder of the Kindle Hack and PSX Xperia, has revealed he is now working on a native loader for the PSVita. Basically, it's a Userland Vita Loader for loading unsigned executables on your Vita — in other words, a Homebrew Loader for the PSVita. To calm Sony fears, he claims it is physically impossible to run 'backups' with the exploit. The exploit cannot decrypt or load retail games. At this time, the exploit is unreleased; naturally, he doesnt want Sony to fix it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Patrick Klepek did a good article on it on Giantbomb. It seems like it MIGHT be possible to do vita piracy, but the people who would have the knowledge to do it agree that it would loving suck for the system and are avoiding it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Neito posted:

Dunno if this belongs here, or if we're jumping the gun on this, but I just saw this on Slashdot:
http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/cfvHogLLsek/psvita-hacked-native-homebrew-loader-coming-soon

I'm totally fine with vita stuff being posted here. I don't own a Vita yet, but if there's a way for homebrew, I'll redo the OP and ask a mod to change the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

vkeios posted:

I'm totally fine with vita stuff being posted here. I don't own a Vita yet, but if there's a way for homebrew, I'll redo the OP and ask a mod to change the thread title.

I was linked to this thread from the Vita thread when the topic of homebrew came up. I see that the individual who sent me here must be from the future since homebrew on the Vita is TBA

• Locked thread