Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zaodai posted:

:stare:

I can't even come up with a response to that. I'm the guy who routinely advocates machine gunning children in thread, and that seems wrong even to me.
I'm taking this as a compliment. Bar lowered, eh Felime?

evilmiera posted:

Oh I know. My problem with it isn't that they got the information, but that they managed to put it to good use so fast at the scale that they did. From how battered their industries were and with Comstar interfering with them implementing it at least to some degree, I'd imagine the only people to actually have any access to enhanced tech would be "royal" units, with maybe a few scraps left over for groups on the front line.
Bear in mind that Helm was a very public fuckup for ROM. They had to distance themselves from it pretty fast, and that resulted in quite a lot of ops being put on hold.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

We've got a couple strategic options we need to consider so the Banshee doesn't insta-melt, we can still get some intel, and not blow our load early. Still waiting to hear from a few others.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

We haven't seen any Arrow IVs yet, have we? :devil:

Oh, I like the way you think, man with red eyes and a dark cloak.

And Arquinsel, where does it say they got a hands-off approach after that? It sounds reasonable that they would, of course, but I haven't read it anywhere I remember. That still leaves massively broken industry to contend with, but this would at least fix some of the problems I had.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PTN:

How are you going to handle the movement of the vehicles off the road? 2MP cost or what?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
I am joining my voice to chorus of peple who love this scenario it is really beautiful.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mission Notes:
4) Two vehicles will be under the players’ indirect command, and will be moved by me. They can be issued orders by the players piloting the Atlas and the Phoenix Hawk (or another player chosen by me, if both those `Mechs are eliminated). They are wheeled vehicles so their speed is halved if they’re not on a road.

Looks like it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

evilmiera posted:

Oh, I like the way you think, man with red eyes and a dark cloak.

And Arquinsel, where does it say they got a hands-off approach after that? It sounds reasonable that they would, of course, but I haven't read it anywhere I remember. That still leaves massively broken industry to contend with, but this would at least fix some of the problems I had.

I don't think it was as much that they were in a technological stone age but more that they were technologically dumb. The Succession Wars had destroyed the industrial and intellectual base to the point that they barely knew how the equipment that survived worked. Essentially, it was like WH40K and they were praying to the 'Machine spirits' to bless them and continue to work so that they could continue to make 'Mechs.

The HMC changed all that with not only giving them the technology that they had lost over the last 400 years but also let them understand all the crap that they had been praying to to work. You can imagine how this two fold increase in science allowed wars to increase. The rules of war had also remained intact: No wide scale destruction of Jump Ships (how could they, War Ships are Lostech), nuking and asteroid drops were still taboo, and cities were still seen as battlegrounds, not nationalist cesspools.

Which indicates why the Jihad was so hard on the Succession States - while they continued what they considered a conventional war, the Wobbies were willing to nuke their opponents into submission.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Enemy Pilot Names:

Tithon, Renesme, Tegrin, Aias and Steve.

One of these is not like the others. I'm rooting for Steve for the rest of the mission.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rick_Hunter posted:

I don't think it was as much that they were in a technological stone age but more that they were technologically dumb. The Succession Wars had destroyed the industrial and intellectual base to the point that they barely knew how the equipment that survived worked. Essentially, it was like WH40K and they were praying to the 'Machine spirits' to bless them and continue to work so that they could continue to make 'Mechs.

That's true to varying degrees, but the best example is Archernar on New Avalon, which churns out like a regiment of Valkyries a year, but runs 24/7 because it's automated and the Davions don't even know how to turn it off to fix things. They just keep putting finished components in one end and hoping finished mechs come out the other.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, a few general tactical notes looking at the map (and keep in mind I don't know Battletech very well):
1. The Exterminator is in a good position to try to either work around to your flank/rear or to force you to put several mechs on that part of the map to go after it. In the latter case, there's enough open fire lanes that the big long range assaults will be able to take shots at you or force you to give the Exterminator an opening.

2. Both the Exterminator and J1 have jets, so they can jump up to get LOS on one turn and then jump down behind cover on another to cool off.

3. Try to make sure that if you're stepping out of cover to take shots, most of the others are also doing so. With fewer enemies mechs and inferior pilots, they're simply unlikely to shoot back at all of you, so you want to maximize the number of your mechs that can shoot once you're exposed to accurate fire.

4. I expect PTN to maneuver to keep you from all having shots on a single enemy at once. Try to move to force him to choose between spots where he can get good shots at your units and spots where he can avoid incoming fire from some of them. (The map will make that tricky but not impossible.) He has to try to manipulate your movement through good positioning; in theory, you can duplicate that with the extra advantage that you move last.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it would work better if the Banshee Sneak was a known mechanic and not something we had to guess about. Knowing what would give the charade away lets the players better plan around it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've got enough info to work off, and how to tell if the jig is up. Any doubt and I'll just ask PTN really, but I don't mind a tiny bit of opacity. It would be unfun if we were explicitly told I can miss X shots but must still fire Y times in Z turns.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
If you're too worried about that just spin the banshee around, walk backwards until you're even/behind the enemy mechs while shooting at the hex that some Yan Company guy is in. Then you can stop being sneaky and spin over and shoot some mech in the back.

I'm guessing J2 and J3 are probably your best bet since they are closest, and thus you don't have to fake it for too long and risk getting lit up. Either target would be good to keep busy. Backshots are always great, the chances of coring someone and outright killing them is low, but any damage done means that armor is suddenly critically low, and, well, :battletech:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Chronojam posted:

I've got enough info to work off, and how to tell if the jig is up. Any doubt and I'll just ask PTN really, but I don't mind a tiny bit of opacity. It would be unfun if we were explicitly told I can miss X shots but must still fire Y times in Z turns.

I fully expect you to take two enemy mechs with you into your grave. Seriously. Smart manuevering and alpha one in the back, punch it at the same time = dead as a doornail.

Then some cat and mouse and free backshots because the entire star can't chase you without putting their backs to a company worth of mechs. You are as fast as their fastest mech, sure terrai works against you but you go last.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Given that she said she said she was out of ammo, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the Banshee to fall back behind them and pretend to snipe a bit with the PPC. They already think she's an incompetent coward, after all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

evilmiera posted:

At the end of the novel there's a small scene with some other Comstar agents discussing how the antagonist getting caught pretty much meant they had to stop things so they can go all "lone nutjob!" on it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously the Star Captain is piloting a King Crab IIC :colbert:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Obviously the Star Captain is piloting a King Crab IIC :colbert:

Another one?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
PTN said it's something we haven't seen before. Clearly we're about to witness the debut of the Mackie IIC.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's a Nova with an Epona where the torso goes.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It's actually two Hunchback IICs, with one wearing a trench coat and standing on top of the other one's shoulders.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

It's actually two Hunchback IICs, with one wearing a trench coat and standing on top of the other one's shoulders.

But are they a famed inner sphere reporter and DO THEY HAVE A FEDORA?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

AtomikKrab posted:

But are they a famed inner sphere reporter and DO THEY HAVE A FEDORA?

Dammut, now I'm expecting AtlasCop to bust out of a lavaflow Koolaid Man style while blowing his whistle...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

You can actually fit 4 UAC/20s on a 100 tonner, but it requires messing around with WOB stuff so satisfaction may vary (oh, and don't even think of firing more than two of them in ultra mode...).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

I think it would work better if the Banshee Sneak was a known mechanic

Simon Says.

landcollector posted:

You can actually fit 4 UAC/20s on a 100 tonner, but it requires messing around with WOB stuff so satisfaction may vary (oh, and don't even think of firing more than two of them in ultra mode...).

In the original Mechwarrior 2, you could assign your `Mechs negative heat sinks by throwing ten singles in the engine. The game would always try to revert to doubles, and would downgrade from 10 singles to 6 doubles. Four Ultra AC/20s in a Dire Wolf wa hilarious, even if you had to cheat to keep yourself from instantly exploding due to heat.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 24, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm trying to figure out how Simon Says would apply in this case. The only thing I can think of is the old cliche movie security trick where an organization has a pre-defined command code that when used in conversation either signifies meaning the opposite of everything else they've said, or that means they're being coerced into communicating by someone listening in on the conversation. Neither of these would really apply to the captured Clan warrior cooperating semi-willingly. I can see the Clans ordering a specific set of moves or something, I guess?

Seems more like with the sighting mechanic that it's Red Light/Green Light.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have literally no memory of being able to modify heatsinks in the engines in MW2, but there were so many versions of it that it's possible it was in all of the ones I didn't have.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arquinsiel posted:

I have literally no memory of being able to modify heatsinks in the engines in MW2, but there were so many versions of it that it's possible it was in all of the ones I didn't have.

How it worked:

Set Heat Sinks to 10. Set them to single. Save the `Mech design. Load the `Mech design.

Those 10 heatsinks will magically be 6 double heat sinks which, since they've bypassed the "do not go below ten" check, allowed you to go negative. This bug was in Mechwarrior 2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy. They only fixed it for MW2 Mercenaries.

Zaodai posted:

I'm trying to figure out how Simon Says would apply in this case.

The Star Captain outranks our Banshee pilot. He's going to be giving orders.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 24, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

How it worked:

Set Heat Sinks to 10. Set them to single. Save the `Mech design. Load the `Mech design.

Those 10 heatsinks will magically be 6 double heat sinks which, since they've bypassed the "do not go below ten" check, allowed you to go negative. This bug was in Mechwarrior 2 and Ghost Bear's Legacy. They only fixed it for MW2 Mercenaries.
Welp, that'd be why I never saw it then. I don't think I ever downgraded to single ever, because that'd be really silly.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Simon Says.

In the original Mechwarrior 2, you could assign your `Mechs negative heat sinks by throwing ten singles in the engine. The game would always try to revert to doubles, and would downgrade from 10 singles to 6 doubles. Four Ultra AC/20s in a Dire Wolf wa hilarious, even if you had to cheat to keep yourself from instantly exploding due to heat.

The trick involves the Interface Cockpit + No Gyro combo plus using Endo-Composite structure. (Since no heat glitches exist in tabletop, firing all four in ultra mode has a 100 percent chance of pegging out the heat gauge and a good chance of not passing the two ammo explosion checks)

v v v v With a quad mech I'd only be able to fit two UAC/20s.

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 24, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What if you take a quad mech, fill the legs with heat sinks, and stand in water?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Then you don't have arms to put the UAC20s in.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Demolisher IIC

Vehicles don't need heat sinks for ammo-based weapons.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

landcollector posted:

Been there, and no you don't!

e: from Feb of last year

The Merry Marauder posted:

In 100 tonners, I prefer the Hunchback IVC^2.

Not familiar? Here's an early ComStar intel report:

'Our Blessed Order has recently received information that a further adaptation of the venerable Hunchback has been deployed with PGCs on Occupation Zone worlds. Adepts ROM have learned from Tech Caste informants "what they met down the pub" that the Hunchback IVC^2 is "pretty much two Hunchback-Dookies welded together". The H4C2 is the ultimate example of the Clan doctrine of "battle as brief test of skill," mounting four of the heaviest Ultra-class autocannons. To simplify logistics, only three tons of ammunition are carried. Opponents of the H4C2 must be psychologically prepared for all its 100 tons jumping 90 meters at a hop, in order to bring its fearsome ACs to bear. Com Guard analysts suggest that the H4C2's tendency to "explode in an ecstasy of caseless fury and overheating" may cause PTSD in personnel facing this intimidating beast. In an exacerbation of the multiple names given to many Clan Mechs, our informants suggest that the Hunchback IVC^2 may also be known as the "Troll".'

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Been there, and no you don't!

e: from Feb of last year

I was going towards something with slightly more battle endurance- 8 tons of ammo between 4 ACs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

from Feb of last year

This thread needs its own subforum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. With an interface cockpit and no gyro and a compact engine, you can get three UAC/20s into a quadmech...

pre:

Troll IIc TRL-IIC
Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Quad
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X
Production Year: 2750
Cost: 15,684,500 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,788

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Composite
Power Plant: Unknown 300 Compact Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    3  (CL) Ultra AC/20s
    1  (CL) ER Small Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Composite               160 points                7.50
    Internal Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT
Engine:             Compact Fusion Engine        300                      28.50
    Walking MP: 3
    Running MP: 5
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         (CL) Double Heat Sink        16(32)                    6.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 FLL, 1 FRL, 1 RLL, 1 RRL
Gyro:                                                                      0.00
Cockpit:            Interface                                              4.00
    Actuators:      L: H+UL+LL+F    R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 216                 13.50

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     31           32        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     21           29        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  8         
                                       L/R Front Leg     21           20        
                                        L/R Rear Leg     21           26        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             CT        7         8        12.00
(R) (CL) ER Small Laser                      CT        2         1         0.50
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             RT        7         8        12.00
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             LT        7         8        12.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10)                            RT        -         2         2.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10)                            LT        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 0

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 28
3          8       8       0       0      4     1   Structure:  5
Special Abilities: SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA
I threw in a rear-facing clan ER Small Laser just for giggles.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Normal people just use Gausszilla.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fire Magnet Demolisher IIC:

3/5 (XL Fusion)
4x UAC/20
4 tons of ammo (like you'll get a chance to use it all)
13.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fire Magnet Demolisher IIC:

3/5 (XL Fusion)
4x UAC/20
4 tons of ammo (like you'll get a chance to use it all)
13.5 tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.

Man, somebody needs to do an OGRE LP.

• Locked thread