Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I want one so bad. Doccers, you're going to have to let me test drive that thing one day, as my only option to purchase one is likely going to be sight unseen shipped from somewhere in europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That reminds me so much of my pic of my M54A2 parked next to a coworker's Prius. Across three (or four, I forget) parking spaces.

AI, parking big ugly awesome trucks at offices.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
where the hell do you live again, Kastein?

[edit] Profile says you're a masshole. Bummer, I want to get a photo of the volvo next to that monster.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 23, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I'm here against my will. Rather be in NH, upstate VT, somewhere in Maine, way up in the Rockies, or maybe in the cascades/high desert... but I'm kinda pinned down by projects.

And at 5mpg, I don't think I'll ever make it past PA with the 5 ton, even if it doesn't blow another head gasket (please please please)

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
My pride and joy, probably posted in this thread before:

My "new" run-around. Makes the GT-Four feel like a Nissan Micra by comparison:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drat nice man. I want a E60 one day as a daily.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

ash with a five posted:

drat nice man. I want a Celica GT-Four some day as a dirt missle.

Amended.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

GazChap posted:

:flashfap:

What the gently caress.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

TheFrailNinja posted:

:flashfap:

What the gently caress.

Right? That looks incredible.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Castrol liveries and stickers just look drat fine.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

GazChap posted:

My "new" run-around. Makes the GT-Four feel like a Nissan Micra by comparison:

Hot drat. That is a nice little collection.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Parking lot at work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That car cannot go fast enough to escape from the shame of that wing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

That car cannot go fast enough to escape from the shame of that wing.

The factory and very functional wing on the Noble, or the factory and very attractive one on the NSX?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Needs a bath and some proper photo gear, but for now...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

The factory and very functional wing on the Noble, or the factory and very attractive one on the NSX?

I was talking about the Noble. Doesn't matter if it's factory or not, it looks like 2F2F tack-on. And as far as "functional," that is debatable. How much downforce do you need on your way to work?

VV Honestly, I would. It's what, 4-6 bolts? It would look FAR more clean without it. A few painted caps for the holes, or a custom-made carbon blanking plate for when it's removed? Would look right solid.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 23, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I was talking about the Noble. Doesn't matter if it's factory or not, it looks like 2F2F tack-on. And as far as "functional," that is debatable. How much downforce do you need on your way to work?

Are you suggesting I remove the wing depending on where I'm driving it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is the NSX or the noble yours? I can't remember who is who anymore.
Either way awesome car :)

meatpimp posted:

Hahahaha. This is it, this is peak AI dullness.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ash with a five posted:

Hahahaha. This is it, this is peak AI dullness.
To be fair it does look like the 2nd spoiler is from autozone.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
At highway speeds you would notice. The front end of the car is designed to create downforce so without the rear wing the car would be pretty scary and difficult to drive. You would not want to try to go around a corner with any speed without it.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

GazChap posted:

Whoa.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Needs a bath and some proper photo gear, but for now...

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

Have loved the 928 ever since Chase HQ on the Spectrum!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

meatpimp posted:

VV Honestly, I would. It's what, 4-6 bolts? It would look FAR more clean without it. A few painted caps for the holes, or a custom-made carbon blanking plate for when it's removed? Would look right solid.

Tell us all about functional aero, forums poster meatpimp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

At highway speeds you would notice. The front end of the car is designed to create downforce so without the rear wing the car would be pretty scary and difficult to drive. You would not want to try to go around a corner with any speed without it.

I can't quantify how much doubt I have about this. Look at the first level of spoiler on there:

THAT 3"+ lip is insufficient downforce for normal driving? Then there's some funky arodynamics happening there. Better tell that guy he's driving a deathtrap and needs to put the wing back on!

(Note: It's a damned cool car, no doubt. I'm just saying that the second wing detracts so much, especially in the rear view that it fully takes away from the rest of the car... hell, just look at how nice it looks wingless.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 23, 2012

stump
Jan 19, 2006

We got a "new" car at work the other day. After looking about for a while, trying to push my boss towards an old shape Mondeo TDCI, and both trying to ignore how sensible a choice a diesel Primera would be (god drat they are ugly), I get a text from my boss saying he had bought something at the weekend. It's a '04 Renault Megane Estate, with 69k on the clock and a 110hp 1.9 deisel lump. We had previouly discounted them for being too unreliable, but seeing as it had low miles and was less than half the price of similar models on autotrader it was worth a shot.

Parking it up at the office beside my e46 320d I notice the are pretty much the same size, both silver, both 1.9-ish turbo diesels and both the same age. Today I got a chance to take the Megane for my first proper drive, 200 miles through Glencoe up to Fort William and back, and I couldn't help but think about the differences between them, especially seeing as the BMW cost £24k new, and the Renault only cost £16k, and if anything the Renault has depreceated faster. Is the BMW really 150% of the car the Renault is?

The BMW has 150bhp, 40 up on Megane. You can tell, but the Renault still has enough power for overtaking on A and B roads, and on the open road you don't really notice much, although the power band is a narrower so you have to use the gears a bit more - both have 6 speed boxes although the renault seems knackered, as it does not self center properly and when going 6-4 or 5-3 I kept ending up back in the gear I started off in. Saying that the cluth feels better, as I still haven't done the CDV delete on the BMW.

Handling wise, the steering in the Renault feels just like the Clio and Kangoo I have driven before, nicely weighted (although very artifical feeling), it turns in quickly and keenly, quite chuckable. It does not handle as well as the BMW, but the difference isn't as much as I excpeted - then again the BMW has twice the miles on original suspension, and most of it's original bushes. Of course frenchy is FWD, but I don't mind that too much, and there isn't much tourque steer. It's typically french, a good balance of handling and comfort, it does not seem to oversteer and I'm sure you could intice some lift off oversteer out of the back end. But seeing as it is a work vehcile I wasn't driving anywere near 10/10ths, and I was doing the speed limit, obviously :cop:

At the end of the day driving on public roads, especially on roads I know, I'm only going to take X corner at a max of X speed no matter what the vehicle. In the BMW I'll power through with no drama, knowing I'm not having to try. In the the Renault it'll take more effort, more gearchanges. I'm not sure which is better, I love a car which can eat up corners at speed without batting an eyelid, on the other hand it's not exactly a particually thrilling driving expereience sometimes. Yes, the BMW could go faster but I'm either too chickenshit or too resposible to do that on a public road.

By the time I got back, I had perhaps got 1 or 2 mpg more out of the Megane than the BMW would. I was also a bit more comfy, as the seating and pedals in the BMW are always a little bit wrong for me. I was starting to wonder in the roundel is really worth the extra cash, till I swapped cars. The Renault might good enough to be fun, but the BMW just has that extra power and better handling to make bashing A and B roads at speed effortless, and I know if I owned the Renault myself as my only car I would spend every drive pining for the BMW.

It also won't fall apart anywhere near as quick (fingers crossed my swirl flaps don't got tits). The interior is nicer in the BMW, although the renault isn't bad, but a bit cheap looking - then again it is a lot cheaper. I'm not sure the BMW is 150% of the car the renault is, but it is worth it anyway. Having said that, I'm still looking forward to the next time I drive the Renault. I think if I had a proper petrol sports car sitting the the garage for when I wanted something quick, the BMW wouldn't make so much sense.

In summary I just wrote 6 paragraphs on Diesel estate cars. I need to get a life, or at least a sports car. Is this the right thread for such nonsensical rambings? The Renault is my ride in as much as I'll do as many miles in it as my own car.

stump fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 23, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

meatpimp posted:

I can't quantify how much doubt I have about this. Look at the first level of spoiler on there:

THAT 3"+ lip is insufficient downforce for normal driving? Then there's some funky arodynamics happening there. Better tell that guy he's driving a deathtrap and needs to put the wing back on!

More than just the lip are making downforce there. The entire duct through the radiator and out the hood is making downforce, plus that air is not going through the front openings and then under the car. The backs of the fenders are also vented which reduces the high pressure and lift from the wheel wells.

I don't get this argument. It's not a civic with a ricer wing bolted on.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 23, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

I don't get this argument. It's not a civic with a ricer wing bolted on.

It's not really an arugment. Other Noble drivers are driving the cars without the second wing and the cars aren't flying off the road. Objective fact. For normal driving, the second wing is superficial and makes it look like a ricer wing is bolted on. Subjective opinion.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

It's not really an arugment. Other Noble drivers are driving the cars without the second wing and the cars aren't flying off the road. Objective fact. For normal driving, the second wing is superficial and makes it look like a ricer wing is bolted on. Subjective opinion.

Those cars don't handle as well. That's a fact. But I forgot in AI having a factory part that increases performance is being a ricer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Quoted below, but I'd rather not get in the middle of this.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 24, 2012

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Comrade Flynn, just be as beta as possible. Don't try to bring attention to yourself. Otherwise, someone may try to speak with you and then what? Why have an exotic car when you can have an exotic car that blends in, safe from the vision and attention of everyone in the entire world.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I, for one, will be taking the underbody off my 430 scuderia when I'm driving like a 400 year old boring person on my way to work at the poo poo post factory.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sockington posted:

He's not saying that at all.

He's saying he would just bolt the wing on when doing things that are above legal speeds.

If driving to work, at 70mph max, is the additional downforce needed?

Who needs more than a 600cc diesel Smart car to get to work? gently caress that attitude, total anti-AI.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

I really like this Bugatti Veyron I Just purchased, however, the 21" wheels included from the factory are just hideous and look like something out of the Pep Boys catalogue. Chrome? No thanks. Keep that stuff to idiots with SUVs.

Can anyone recommend some light weight steel wheels I can put on this car? I am really trying to be as low key as possible with this car to go for that sleeper look, also I am absolutely terrified of another human looking in my relative direction.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I cant wait to tell my mate whos just got his M12 back on the road to rip his rear wing off because it makes him a ricer.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Someone please make a gif of Comrade Flynn's noble zipping out of the frame with either 'meatpimps gonna meat pimp' or 'see ya later, shitlords!'
Your car is awesome in every way, and the custom plate totally makes it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Who needs more than a 600cc diesel Smart car to get to work? gently caress that attitude, total anti-AI.

Not my attitude, it was NOT Meatpimp's point either and I am a foolish fool and retract my point.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 24, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sockington posted:

Not my attitude, it was just Meatpimp's point.

Not my point, I just think that wing looks like ricer crap, but feel free to continue, shitposting crew.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Here's my old MR2 for some content. Can't wait to work on MR2 #2 since its's the next project on the list.

I loved looking in the rear and side views to see that awesome spoiler.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sockington posted:

Here's my old MR2 for some content. Can't wait to work on MR2 #2 since its's the next project on the list.

I loved looking in the rear and side views to see that awesome spoiler.

That does look like a nice, functional, integrated spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
heres a pic of my gay lovely car parked infront of a leapord print mini

also a realy bad pic of the noble

Comrade I notice your one doesnt have that little carbon front lip, I never did ask him if that was standard or not. He literaly had the whole rear of the car off down to the spaceframe and was telling me about the gearbox having gently caress all clearance in some places. The old 5 speed box broke and he ended up putting a 6 speed box with a quaife in along with a buncha other stuff.

Every time I see the drat thing i want one, they are pretty resonably priced here but I just couldnt park something like that on the street. I guess I need to move and get a garage, drat.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 24, 2012