Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Skizzles posted:

I'm a 5'1" 23-year-old who has been confused for an 11- or 12-year-old by at least two people, and I own a big, black GSD mix. No one has ever asked why I got him or why I'm the one walking him when out with my boyfriend. You guys live around some nosy people. The most questions I get are "Aw what's his name?" or "Can I pet your dog?"

Now that I think about it, most of the questions I've gotten along that line are from guys who seemed pretty flirty. Maybe they were awkwardly trying to figure out if I'm in a relationship?

Otherwise they tend to come when I'm working my GSD because we usually train in public places and people are interested in what we're doing, so it's a bit more than the average casual conversation that I run into on walks or whatever. But I don't really mind more prying questions in those (like whether my dog was purpose-bought, or we do other training, etc.) because it's something a lot of dog lovers don't know anything about and who knows, might meet someone interested in joining or supporting the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

demozthenes posted:

Good old Massachusetts just passed a law banning breed-specific legislation statewide, so of course our local neocon tabloid went off the rails about it, Nancy Grace style. But...is it just me? Or does the omgvicious pit bull plastered across the front page of thousands of papers statewide look more like a Staff than an APBT? I'm not quite the pibble nerd that other posters are but that face looks pretty Staff-y to me.

Either way, Menino going all :qq: is always good for a laugh.

vvv He's also been bathing in self-tanner lately, it makes him even more clownish.

That picture is actually from the 1980's Sports Illustrated cover article that popularized pit bulls as terrifying in the media and kicked off the whole thing in the first place. It's basically the height of sensationalism to use that photo. :rolleyes:

Doesn't really look like a staff to me but the more I learn, the more I realize that you can never assume a dog is x y or z based on its appearance. I see staffs that look like APBTs and APBTs that look like staffs and dogs in both breeds that look wildly different from the way they are actually bred. I'm trying to drag myself away from making presumptions about the breeding of a dog based on pictures alone, because I'm very guilty of it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AEYCamzEE

Lola I am ashamed to call you a terrier :smith:

After she realised it wasn't a grenade or something she tried to play with it.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 23, 2012

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

demozthenes posted:

Good old Massachusetts just passed a law banning breed-specific legislation statewide, so of course our local neocon tabloid went off the rails about it, Nancy Grace style. But...is it just me? Or does the omgvicious pit bull plastered across the front page of thousands of papers statewide look more like a Staff than an APBT? I'm not quite the pibble nerd that other posters are but that face looks pretty Staff-y to me.

Either way, Menino going all :qq: is always good for a laugh.

vvv He's also been bathing in self-tanner lately, it makes him even more clownish.

Loling at the comments about LOCKING JAWS and ONLY VICIOUS THUGS (minorities with tattoos) OWN PIT BULLS.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Serella posted:

Loling at the comments about LOCKING JAWS and ONLY VICIOUS THUGS (minorities with tattoos) OWN PIT BULLS.

OUR LORD & SAVIOR TOM BRADY has a rescued pit mutt, too, so one can only imagine the dissonance buzzing through the brains of the Herald readership right now.

:3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

Now that I think about it, most of the questions I've gotten along that line are from guys who seemed pretty flirty. Maybe they were awkwardly trying to figure out if I'm in a relationship?

hahaha I have a funny story about that sorta thing. When my husband (then boyfriend) and I were living in our apartment, there were tons of other dogs in the area because the apartments were all privately owned and were the only ones in a few city radius that actually allowed ANY dogs, let alone large ones. Since we were in an apartment, we walked Buddy ALL THE TIME, and I took him out in the afternoons a lot because I got home from work first.

I started seeing this guy walking his pit bull across the street from me. We would see the dog out on their balcony all the time, so he was basically out right by his apartment. Got to seeing him so much we'd wave every so often, but I was always on a mission because I was trying to wear Buddy out and I'd just gotten out of work so I was ready to collapse at home.

Well, one day the guy actually said something across the street about Buddy looking nice or some other BS, and I said thanks and complimented his dog, so he walked over so they could say hi. His dog was SUPER puppy excited (he seemed like he was maybe 1 or 2) and Buddy HATES that sort of thing since he's so crotchety, so we basically had to keep untangling the dogs while we talked about them. I thought we were having inane chit-chat about pit bulls being misunderstood and our dogs not understanding eachother, but when I said I needed to get back home because my boyfriend was making dinner, he just kinda went, "Oh... ok, see you around then!"

And I NEVER saw that guy walking that dog ever again. I feel bad for the dog. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow has never been the affectionate lap dog type. Tonight he decided to give it a try. :3: It was very cute, he even laid his head across my lap, but if I stopped petting him I got swatted with his big, clumsy paw with pads like sandpaper or he'd smack my hands with his snout, and then he stepped on my laptop. :saddowns: He gets an A for effort. :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Aw man, Roo is breaking my heart. She's a crochety old farm dog who I've seen get straight-up kicked in the face by a horse and didn't even flinch, kind of bad tempered but a real love bug with me. She's also prone to growling and snapping at dogs, and screaming like you're killing her whenever you need to do something to her that she doesn't like.

Tonight I found what looks like an abscess or a cut that got infected, a small pus-filled hole in her head. I hadn't noticed anything before but today I was scratching her when we came back from our walk and felt it. So since it's late and not an emergency I took her inside and cleaned it then flushed it then put ointment on it.

What I was doing was obviously hurting her but she just lay on her side in my lap whimpering softly but holding perfectly still, and whenever my hand came near her mouth she licked me. :( She was so good about it and then when I was done she jumped up on the couch next to me and snuggled up, which she never does. I've owned her for a few years and it's actually the first time I've had to treat an injury on her, and honestly I expected it to be a big production but she was so good. I think she knew I was helping her. :3:

Look at that face.

I feel like we're entering a new level in our relationship. First the revelation that she actually wants to be with me and isn't just opportunistic (she moved in with me because my place was more comfortable than my neighbors' who had owned her since she was a puppy) when my girlfriend was trying to walk her on a leash and Roo wouldn't move unless I was in front of her, and now this. :3: She's always been rather aloof so this is stupidly exciting for me.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 24, 2012

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skizzles posted:

Shadow has never been the affectionate lap dog type. Tonight he decided to give it a try. :3: It was very cute, he even laid his head across my lap, but if I stopped petting him I got swatted with his big, clumsy paw with pads like sandpaper or he'd smack my hands with his snout, and then he stepped on my laptop. :saddowns: He gets an A for effort. :3:

This is my Daisy. She'll only lay next to you if you are actively petting her. Stop and she'll piston her nose under your hand and wiggle her head around to encourage you to start up again.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Fraction posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AEYCamzEE

Lola I am ashamed to call you a terrier :smith:

After she realised it wasn't a grenade or something she tried to play with it.

Poor dog, you obviously traumatized her by exposing her to............whatever the gently caress that is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

For the first time since she joined me three weeks ago I got kitty pets without Sadie running away! Even managed to get some chin rubs too! She was groggy at the top of her cat tree though but still!

And I go meet another kitty who may want to be her buddy on Saturday. It almost makes up for this week being awful in terms of work.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Amberlyn posted:

Poor dog, you obviously traumatized her by exposing her to............whatever the gently caress that is.

A wild mouse :saddowns: It had broken legs or something like a cat got to it so I was curious to see if she'd want to eat it. She was scared of it at first :smith:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Queen Elizatits made Major a snazzy shirt and now he's the most fabulous dog on the block. The sheep are super jealous.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Holy crap, Major is ridiculous.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Queen Elizatits made Major a snazzy shirt and now he's the most fabulous dog on the block. The sheep are super jealous.

That shirt is AMAZING. If I could afford it, I'd get one for Feldman. A skull collar and a shirt like that would go well together. :v:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Goddrat, Major. Goddrat.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That is the most stylish farm dog I've ever seen.

You're getting one made for each of the sheep, right?

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Captain Foxy got a skeptical surprise~

re: peoples' reactions upon finding out what pets you have: No one likes a girl with lizards :saddowns:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bash Ironfist posted:

That shirt is AMAZING. If I could afford it, I'd get one for Feldman. A skull collar and a shirt like that would go well together. :v:

It was only $7.12 and it went to charity. Totally worth the endless humilation that will be heaped on that dog. I'm going to make him wear it to growly dog class :allears:

Skizzles posted:

That is the most stylish farm dog I've ever seen.

You're getting one made for each of the sheep, right?

The sheep are out of luck but the Dumbaby goat will need a shirt once she gets sheared next month...

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I am like a small child over this chameleon. 'Omg he's eating!' 'Omg he let me see him drink!' 'HE IS GRUMPY OMG LOOK AT HOW GRUMPY'

I love him. :3:

Oh god we need to talk about this. Son...son....we need to talk, son.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

We need way more pictures of the shirt.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman tried to eat a bee today, and got stung. Now his lower lip is a bit puffy. Called the vet, but they said unless he's showing an allergic reaction, just to keep an eye on him. He's playing like normal(and driving me crazy) but his lip bothers him a bit, because when he's still, he whimpers a bit.

Can I put something on there? Or like..ice it or something to help?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Give him more bees.

If he runs away, he's fine. If he tries to eat them as well, welllll...I guess let him, until he stops.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

PrinnySquadron posted:

We need way more pictures of the shirt.

Shazam! He is ready to start his career in an 80's hair metal band and/or as a figure skater.

Just out of frame is my parents' corgi quietly judging him.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

One Fabulous Dog :allears:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

testing out ~my ipod~

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

notsoape posted:

testing out ~my ipod~

Install Instagram I am serious.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Major is the prettiest farm dog. :3:

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Do any of you have a canine buddy that prefers your partner? I feel like it was pretty equal in the beginning but for some reason, the past couple years or so, Ivan seems to very much prefer my husband. He listens to me better, but he follows my husband everywhere he goes, lays outside the bathroom door when he's in there, gets ecstatic when he comes home--barking to announce his arrival then jumping up and wagging his nub--lays next to him on the couch. When my husband and I argue Ivan will walk over and lay in front of him. If we take separate cars Ivan immediately goes to my husband's car. Stuff like that. Even when it's just Ivan and me he usually won't lay next to me on the couch, he'll lay on the floor or in the bedroom, and he doesn't excitedly greet me at the door when I get home. If my husband's there first Ivan often doesn't greet me at all. I was Ivan's primary caretaker for the first few years of his life (he's 5) so I'm wondering what caused the shift. I'm not concerned or anything, just curious.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
A kennel I'm friends with on FB just posted this photo :3:

edit: and this one oh jeeeez

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 24, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

Do any of you have a canine buddy that prefers your partner? I feel like it was pretty equal in the beginning but for some reason, the past couple years or so, Ivan seems to very much prefer my husband. He listens to me better, but he follows my husband everywhere he goes, lays outside the bathroom door when he's in there, gets ecstatic when he comes home--barking to announce his arrival then jumping up and wagging his nub--lays next to him on the couch. When my husband and I argue Ivan will walk over and lay in front of him. If we take separate cars Ivan immediately goes to my husband's car. Stuff like that. Even when it's just Ivan and me he usually won't lay next to me on the couch, he'll lay on the floor or in the bedroom, and he doesn't excitedly greet me at the door when I get home. If my husband's there first Ivan often doesn't greet me at all. I was Ivan's primary caretaker for the first few years of his life (he's 5) so I'm wondering what caused the shift. I'm not concerned or anything, just curious.

If I had to guess it's probably because your husband might let him get away with more poo poo than you do.

Dogs are like children. "But you're not the FUN parent!"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I yelled at Max earlier for pawing at one of the chinchilla cages, and now he's acting like the World's Saddest Dog™ because he thinks I'm mad at him FOREVER :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That's basically Shadow if I tell him any sort of "no" word. I don't even have to yell it, I can say it gently and calmly and he will still get super butthurt. It's why I had to completely drop no-reward markers in training (other than the fact they're unnecessary). If I used them he would get all frantic and he'd try everything in the book to appease me like, "I'M SORRY IS IT THIS, IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED? NO? OH GOD I'M SUCH A BAD DOG I'M SO SORRY." :saddowns: Fortunately he's easy to bring out of it, but drat, dog.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Ivan is like this as well. Maybe THAT'S why he loves my husband more. My husband is soft-spoken and never raises his voice whereas I'm all :byodame: IVAN GODDAMMIT YOU WERE EATING DOOKIE WEREN'T YOUUUU!! And all the peanut butter in the world won't heal those emotional scars, apparently. :(

I'm gonna start making HUSBAND The Enforcer. Bye bye, Disneyland Dad. (Or uh, I'll just have to quit making loud noises when I reprimand him.)

Also:

Invalid Octopus posted:

Ohmahgahd I wanna snuggle him. :3:

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Invalid Octopus posted:

edit: and this one oh jeeeez

Ugh I want all the spaniels give them to me. My neighbor had a field line cocker type spaniel-y thing dumped on one of his hay fields. Why does no one dump field bred spaniels in my yard? :saddowns:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I like to play a game called Nose Boop with Quaffle. If I manage to boop his nose with my nose, I get a point. If he licks my nose first though, he gets a point. This is pretty much the only game that he understands.

Also if Quaffle hears the word "no" he decides that means we're paying attention to him now so it's time to PET MEEEEEEE and he no longer cares about whatever it was he was trying to do previously. Unless it was trying to get us to pet him, in which case he will lay down somewhere nearby and stare sadly at us, sending guilt rays directly into our brains until we feel bad and PET MEEEEEEE

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I have a decent amount of spare time, a job I can take my dog to, and I just got approved for a few thousand in Care Credit.

The puppy fever hurts so much right now. :saddowns:

Probably not a good idea since I live with my boyfriend and his parents (hurr goon) and Shadow would not be impressed with a puppy bouncing all over him wanting to play. My poor, socially awkward dog.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Ugh I want all the spaniels give them to me. My neighbor had a field line cocker type spaniel-y thing dumped on one of his hay fields. Why does no one dump field bred spaniels in my yard? :saddowns:

Because everybody wants all the nice spaniels :3:. Also because there are literally zero working bred Clumbers in the US. This guy has had 3 or 4 different spaniel litters this summer and they've all gone (mostly to hunting homes) like hotcakes. Cutieface up there was the last to go from his litter and he went to a gameskeeper a couple weeks ago.

edit: tagline "in hot pursuit!"

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 25, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I posted earlier about how my uncle's girlfriend was looking to get a dog from the online puppy mill in Missouri. He thinks it's a horrible idea, but she's strong-willed and thinks she's researched sufficiently. However, were he to point her to a better, um, "goldendoodle" breeder, she might be swayed. Anyway, I can't believe I'm asking this, but do any of you guys know of a decent 'doodle breeder either in the Bay Area or willing to ship? At this point, the bar is basically "not a puppy mill", so if there's one in the bay that's not horrible or even -gasp- does health testing, it would be good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Lefty Lugubrious posted:

I only have the experience from the opposite perspective. My dog ignores my partner nearly all the time. He'll check out who's coming in the door when he comes home, then comes straight back to sit under my desk. I guess it's because I'm the one who feeds and walks him. I am the fun parent.

Invalid Octopus I found this one that at least health tests. I can't imagine paying $2000 for a doodle but each to their own.

Sierra Vista Labradoodles posted:

Our breeding dogs undergo a variety of health testing (OFA or Pennhip, CERF, elbows, patellas, vWd and thyroid) prior to breeding. We strive to breed healthy and sound family pets. Your puppy will come with a 7 day general health warranty and a 26 month genetic health guaranty.

In theory most issues like hip dysplasia should be apparent by 26 months. They don't have the actual test results on their website so you'd have to email I assume.

• Locked thread