Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedd posted:

Even if they do not make a PC version those screenshots won't be from the console builds.

They are at the very least from a custom version running on some kind of Frankenstein console/pc.

Xbox 720 and PS4 release :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Xbox 720 and PS4 release :ssh:
We have only seen these screenshots online, this means the PS4 and XB720 are only using digital delivery. :tinfoil:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zedd posted:

We have only seen these screenshots online, this means the PS4 and XB720 are only using digital delivery. :tinfoil:

Grand Theft Auto 5 will put GameStop out of business.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Screenshots are at 1280x720, fixed resolution confirmed!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

sirbeefalot posted:

Screenshots are at 1280x720, fixed resolution confirmed!

The output is probably 500x720 but is then stretched to 1280x720. That's how a lot of games are done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ak Gara posted:

The output is probably 500x720 but is then stretched to 1280x720. That's how a lot of games are done.

But...but...but...my high definition :negative:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ak Gara posted:

On current consoles that can't really handle detailed high def rendering that well, due to being 7 year old hardware or so.

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
According to this, GTA IV is rendered at a native 720p resolution on the Xbox 360. The PS3 renders it at 1152x640 for some reason. I imagine it will be similar for GTA V, considering they're using the same engine.

This is the biggest :goonsay: post I've ever made.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I wonder if that's still the case for RDR+.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm surprised RDR never made it to PC. WTF. I'm glad I got to play it with friends in its heyday.

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
If those screenshots are on PC it's strange they've not done much in the way of anti-aliasing, particularly on that Cheeta shot

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby
Once again according to the same place I linked before, RDR and GTAIV are apparently rendered with 2XAA on the 360.

It actually looks like that might be accurate, but the car is looking aliased because of the way some engines render scenes:

quote:

"missing" MSAA - AA is apparent in certain cases, and it's possible the rendering pipeline or the use of post-processing effects, with respect to the MSAA resolve, messes with the end results. e.g. drawing effects after the msaa resolve.... HDR tone-mapping occurring after the msaa resolve, leading to no AA'd edges... etc

Consider that an AA'd frame is resolved and the HDR lighting is applied afterwards. The lighting would be using colour ranges far exceeding the original resulting in an incorrect comparison.

If you look at the sign or lamppost in the background it does look like there is some AA going on, but the car is highly specular so some shaders might be messing with the anti-aliasing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I misread that as "spectacular" only I don't think I really misread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Physical posted:

I'm surprised RDR never made it to PC. WTF. I'm glad I got to play it with friends in its heyday.

I've heard a rumor that Rockstar are surprised Red Dead Redemption sold as well as it did on consoles as the game was in development hell for so long that the code was an unholy mess of spaghetti code and that trying to port it over to PC with new PC features would have been too much trouble than it was worth.

That could just be a bullshit rumor made up by someone who wanted to find an excuse for why the game never ended up on PC though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Due to all the V hype I played some IV last night. I try my hardest with this game and it never fully clicks for me. :(

I really hope that they make the controls in V less sluggish so you don't have to literally fight with them. Also, I hope that Rockstar gets rid of their homophobia and other backwards "trademarks" of their writing but I doubt they will. Last night I did this mission that had all of my issues with the game put on a platter and served cold: the boat chase with Florian. Let's see...crappy chase where you are incapable of killing your target until they get on land, horrible vehicle controls (I dreaded making tight turns with the boat and hitting one single thing would knock it over and capsize it), a terrible checkpoint system, poor writing, homophobia (like, the actual comedy in this is literally :laffo: he's gay! :laffo:) that reeks of high school humor.

After I played it I started to get really worried for V. But then I remember TLAD and RDR and how awesome they were, and I feel positive again but I still worry that I've outgrown Rockstar's games.

At the very least, I'm willing to give them another chance with V. It looks more like my sort of thing.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
For anyone thinking you're going to play tennis I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Looks pretty cut scene-ish to me.

The game is looking awesome though.

For multiplayer all I really want is more of the co-op modes. 99% of my time with IV was in Hangmans Noose. It's so simple and can go by so fast. It's also crazy how the strategy for that little game evolved over time, and it also had it's own set of rumors- like glitching to get on the motorcycle on the way to the helicopter. I don't play it anymore because it literally became a glitch fest of flying cars.

Ideally there will be a team-up bank robbery mission. Would also be pretty cool if they had a jewelry store heist of some kind. Basically give me missions straight out of Heat- even missions just based on planning would own.

Also, even if it is just really really simple I want a horseracing/ betting minigame of some kind. Even if it is just on a tv screen or something. Make it available in multiplayer. I can almost picture Dustin Hoffman from Luck in this game and it makes too much sense.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If it helps, I don't remember Gay Tony being written as stereotypically as Florian.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Coolodile posted:

If it helps, I don't remember Gay Tony being written as stereotypically as Florian.
Gay Tony almost seemed like a bit of an apology for the horrible way Florian came across. Of all the stupid poo poo R* have put in their games over the years, his mincing run through the park is by far the hardest I've rolled my eyes.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The part where Tony tries to kill himself is a strong scene.

e: ^^^ I think Florian had to be effeminate to convey his helplessness against his attacker though.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 24, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was also needed for story reason to make Niko realize that he wasn't the person who betrayed them. I think anyway, I've only played through once and that was a long time ago.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

56k posted:

For anyone thinking you're going to play tennis I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Looks pretty cut scene-ish to me.

But Rockstar did that ping-pong game on the Wii using the gta4 engine right before gta4 came out, right? Surely the code for hitting a ball with a paddle is in there somewhere. Boy I sure ruined that game at my friends' house when I realized all you had to do was constantly jiggle the wiimote to win forever.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

davebo posted:

But Rockstar did that ping-pong game on the Wii using the gta4 engine right before gta4 came out, right? Surely the code for hitting a ball with a paddle is in there somewhere. Boy I sure ruined that game at my friends' house when I realized all you had to do was constantly jiggle the wiimote to win forever.

Sure, but now imagine doing that with a dualshock.That would be seven different flavors of unpleasant.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Sure, but now imagine doing that with a dualshock.That would be seven different flavors of unpleasant.

Table Tennis came out on 360/PS3 as well (obviously without the motion controls).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Table Tennis game came out on the other consoles first, you know.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
I wonder how this game will look on the 360. I mean, GTAIV is probably the worst looking game I have for that system, but Red Dead Redemption looks great. Granted there's a lot less going on in RDR than in IV, but still. I can't imagine a game like this running even at 30 fps.

Some idiot
Dec 3, 2011
I always assumed Florian was so camp because the only exposure he'd had to gay culture was through cheap homophobic comedies, so when he finally came out he assumed that was how all gay people behaved.

But, that's just my interpretation.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I hate to break the discussion but :siren:New Screenshots!:siren:

Rockstar says to expect more in a "few weeks."

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 24, 2012

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
And more to come in a few weeks! Can't wait, those screens look awesome.

And again, they're showing us two separate protagonists - it's clearly a black guy on the truck and in the biplane, and I'm pretty sure it's the same guy in the fourth shot (aiming at the helicopter). The driver in the third screenshot looks more like the older Italian guy we saw in the trailer.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I loving knew it. These are two completely different characters.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh mah gahd.
So excited for this game!
Please come out this year!

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I am Himuro's avatar right now. That second screenshot looks so pretty...it'll be like exploring Skyrim, but with guns, but not Fallout, but with cars!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The plane shot is probably the best GTA screen shot I have ever seen. The colors, the river, the plane. It's perfect. This game looks beautiful, and it is a refreshing change from GTAIV's drab palette.

Can you imagine Vice City in this engine after this? Oh man, it'd be so bright and colorful!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

What is going on with those semi tires?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Even the fact that I'll get this for the PS3 doesn't do anything to dampen my excitement. Sure, it won't be nearly as pretty as those screenshots indicate but the variety in environments is enough to make me want to explore the world of GTAV. I'm one of the people who like taking a stroll down the streets of LC just to check out the world, so those screens make me downright giddy with excitement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mother of god, that water looks pretty :fap:

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I was hoping the Stuntplane would come back! That was my favorite vehicle period from SA.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

wa27 posted:

Table Tennis came out on 360/PS3 as well (obviously without the motion controls).
Did anyone play it? Didn't seem like there was a whole lot to it aside from wiggling a controller, so I can't imagine what it's like once you take that away. Even without motion controls though a tennis mini-game would be fun. I wouldn't pay $50 for a standalone version but you run around then hit X to swing, it's one more little thing to do in the gameworld.

ash with a five posted:

Oh mah gahd.
So excited for this game!
The second I saw that pic I knew you called up rockstar and demanded more cambered wheels in this game. If they start slamming cars so we can't go off-road or hop curbs I'm blaming you.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
To all the GTA 4 dislikers, that game rules. Who cares about the story (I personally liked it), just skip the cutscenes and do missions. Don't like the controls? Well sorry about that but I loving loved them. You can vault over stuff and keep running and poo poo. You gotta control your character like he has inertia though so if a car nips him in the knew you may go down if you try to be too forceful and don't go with the flow.

I loved the driving too. GTA 4 multiplayer races were the best races out of any game I've played. It was a great racing sim. And that was before they even fixed the bugs.

God drat I wanna work at Rockstar on one of these games. Rockstar and Valve.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
God I hope you can steal a car off a loving car carrier truck. That would be so badass. The fact that some dudes climbing on it makes me think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Knightmare posted:

God I hope you can steal a car off a loving car carrier truck. That would be so badass. The fact that some dudes climbing on it makes me think so.
Its going to be a whole mission or maybe a subset of missions like taxi driving or vigilante. (This is my eager speculation).

• Locked thread