Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Doing the White glove quest right now. :stare:. What the gently caress is this poo poo, my god. That came outta left fuckin' field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've always played the Elder Scrolls game using melee characters but stuck with guns for the Bethesda Fallout games. I'm on a melee run now for the first time and the combat is a lot of fun, especially with the knockdown perk and the rebar clubs which you can get maybe a dozen from the Nightkin in REPCONN.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Inudeku posted:

Doing the White glove quest right now. :stare:. What the gently caress is this poo poo, my god. That came outta left fuckin' field.

Did you talk to anyone in New Vegas before you got into the Ultra Luxe or did you just sprint straight there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
To get it out the way, this was made by Obsidian not Bethesda :hist101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This might be a little out of place, but Obsidian's "Knights of the Old Republic II" is out on Steam now. It was rushed out by LucasArts months early because they decided they wanted a Christmas release, and as a result the game was very definitely unfinished and suffers badly in the ending because of it.

Despite this, what IS in the game is absolutely incredible storytelling, and there are a number of mods that seek to restore cut content that was on the disc but never able to be implemented. If you enjoy the writing in New Vegas, there's a good chance you'll enjoy KOTORII. If you really liked Ravel from Planescape: Torment, then you'll probably REALLY enjoy KOTORII too!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's a lot of words to say "Try one of the greatest ever RPGs (despite it not being finished)" :clint:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Would I benefit in any way by playing the first KOTOR or can I get by skipping it?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any way to console myself out of Old World Blues? I realized that I really just want to wrap up the story in the main game about 5 minutes after starting OWB.

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to console myself out of Old World Blues? I realized that I really just want to wrap up the story in the main game about 5 minutes after starting OWB.

coc moves you to a different cell. Pick one from a list really. most of the town names work I believe so something like COC NOVAC should work.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Upmarket Mango posted:

Would I benefit in any way by playing the first KOTOR or can I get by skipping it?

The first KOTOR is a pretty excellent (if somewhat plot-generic) game in its own right. It's a bit dated now (almost ten years old), but the characterization is still pretty fantastic. And I guess this is probably pretty obvious to say, but it's a far better prequel than the actual prequels ever were.

Stuntman posted:

Assuming you have all four major expansions, I'd recommend at least doing Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road, because they both add a bit to the Legion side of things. OWB, as much as I like it, is atonal to the rest of the game.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 24, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Upmarket Mango posted:

There's some things (and people) from the first that show up in the sequel, but nothing really critical. It will give away the big twist that shows up about 3/4 of the way through the first game, though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Jerusalem posted:

This might be a little out of place, but Obsidian's "Knights of the Old Republic II" is out on Steam now. It was rushed out by LucasArts months early because they decided they wanted a Christmas release, and as a result the game was very definitely unfinished and suffers badly in the ending because of it.

Despite this, what IS in the game is absolutely incredible storytelling, and there are a number of mods that seek to restore cut content that was on the disc but never able to be implemented. If you enjoy the writing in New Vegas, there's a good chance you'll enjoy KOTORII. If you really liked Ravel from Planescape: Torment, then you'll probably REALLY enjoy KOTORII too!

Seconding this. This game runs like complete poo poo on my xbox 360 and I've still completed it at least six times. The companions, with the exception of the loving disciple, are all as well-written as the NV characters, there's plenty of gray to be found and it successfully tears apart a lot of the dumb poo poo of star wars.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I find it impossible to do an unarmed/melee run; it just goes against my playstyle completely, which tends very strongly towards sniping and at its closest is me sneaking around, still with a gun. I think I do need to build an energy weapons character, though, since I seldom use them and they can still work with the whole 'pew pew' thing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would too, just because every time I make it up to the Silver Rush, I wish I could actually make use of their incredible stockpile.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sloth Socks posted:

This is a bit of a random question, but some months ago, I remember reading a remarkable blog post/essay about the narrative of New Vegas. It focused on how the game was remarkable because it wasn't your story - it was the story of Caesar, of the NCR, of every side character, of everyone except you. And the coolest thing about this essay was that at one point, the text faded into white, then picked up again, like a visual essay of some kind.

I'm trying to get a friend to play it and I think this essay would really sway him, as it did me, but for the life of me, I cannot find it. Does anyone remember this? If it helps, it was black courier text on a white background.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/reviews/fallout_new_vegas_dlc/

I feel like I nerfed myself by following a random GameFaqs character creation guide; my Agility and Perception are low, but so far the biggest problem I've encountered is a Deathclaw I've run away from. I think it's weird when ED-E gets those signature kills with mini-cutscenes; for a second I think I die.

I'm heading to Novac now; anything I should see along the way?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Not really. The stretch of road going to Novac is surprisingly empty. Although you can go north from the road a bit to see Hidden Valley and the Brotherhood.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

:stare: Goddamn.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

DeathChicken posted:

Not really. The stretch of road going to Novac is surprisingly empty. Although you can go north from the road a bit to see Hidden Valley and the Brotherhood.

I want to meet The Kings, since the radio broadcast about them is hilarious (and my dude already has a pompadour). I'm guessing I can't ally myself with them and take over the wasteland in the name of Elvis?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The single comment on that review sums it up pretty drat nicely, really.

Justin Hicks' Comment posted:

Holy poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Kings are all the way north, just outside of Vegas. You won't be meeting them for awhile.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

This is, no poo poo, one of the worst things I've ever read.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Rape Jake. posted:

This is, no poo poo, one of the worst things I've ever read.

Is this going to turn into a repeat of my Games Journalism thread where any article longer than 'Gameplay good 10, Graphics bad 8' gets called out for being 'pretentious'?

This is where I stopped, for fear of spoilers:

quote:

When you find his body, his gun becomes your gun. His life

was his life. His story was his story. His rifle is a relic of

his loss, and a monument to a world that lived and died before

you were born, and that will live and die again when you are

gone, a world in which you do not mean enough to even have a

name.

I had so many of these moments in Fallout 3, and I think that's part of the attraction of these games - you're wandering through a world that's moved on, bearing witness and making use of the refuse.

(Though I'm hoping New Vegas pumps up the mythic Americana/rock and roll/Western mythology that I eat up like a spoon.)

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Count Chocula posted:

Is this going to turn into a repeat of my Games Journalism thread where any article longer than 'Gameplay good 10, Graphics bad 8' gets called out for being 'pretentious'?

That Article posted:

You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You. You.

You. You. You. You. All games are ultimately a form of You. You. You. You.

You. You. You. You. imposed solipsism. It’s all about you. You. You. You.

You are surrounded by Link: Navi. Epona. King of Red Lions. Ganon. Zelda.

Fenix: Dom. Carmine. Cole.heroes, people who Sam. Alex. Jack. Baird. Anya.

Freeman: Alex. Barney. Dog. Grigori. in any other situation would G-Man.

Mario: be gods themselves, but Luigi. Peach. Toad. Yoshi. Kong. Rosalina.

Chell: Wheatley. GLaDOS.who are reduced Weighted Companion Cube. Caroline.

Samus: to little more than props in your life.

drat, this is some good poo poo. *smokes a pipe I pulled out of my cargo shorts while wearing a fedora*

edit: just read the rest of your post where you cite Fallout 3 as a prime example of this. Laugh my arse off.

Rape Jake. fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 24, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It really could have stood to be written without the really pretentious (because seriously, it is) and distracting repetition, which I did not need to understand the point of it, nor did I even attempt to read it. The actual bolded text of the opening is right on the money, but ugh, what a mess.

e/

^^^ I would say that, to at least some extent, FO3 does fall victim to exactly what he says other games do; though rather than stuff being created with no real backstory just so you benefit, it feels more like stuff being created with no real backstory just because someone at Bethesda said, "wouldn't it be crazy if...". ^^^

rossmum fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 24, 2012

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Akalies posted:

From that Rock Paper Shotgun article on The Strip Open a page back:

Am I in the fringe here? I can't think of any major bugs I've suffered through, and I've been playing since launch. The only bugs I can remember in any of my games has been certain perks not working (In Shining Armor/Veronica's perk from DM), which were lovely but not "glitch-ridden". I'm sure there were others, but nothing memorable.

It seems like any time a game journalist writes something about New Vegas they have to call it buggy, but never support their claims. Meanwhile Fallout 3, which is still a hot-mess of sound issues for me, gets a free pass.

Game crashes constantly for me. Usually gets stuck on the loading screen every half hour to an hour.

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Game crashes constantly for me. Usually gets stuck on the loading screen every half hour to an hour.

I can only assume that this is somehow based on hardware since I hear a lot of people say it, but my computer is almost 10 years old and it never crashes for me in the hundreds of hours I've put in.

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

The best way to get the Wild Card: Ace In The Hole quest is by sleeping with Benny as a female courier.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

rossmum posted:

It really could have stood to be written without the really pretentious (because seriously, it is) and distracting repetition, which I did not need to understand the point of it, nor did I even attempt to read it. The actual bolded text of the opening is right on the money, but ugh, what a mess.

I dunno, I liked the unbolded text. It could've been done better, sure, but I think it serves its purpose pretty well (calling attention to the transition from everything being about you to it being a larger story). Maybe if they "You."s had faded to white instead of just stopping abruptly, or if there had been a bit more white space after they stopped.

Obviously it's entirely subjective! Though I do think dismissing it as "pretentious" is kind of a non-response, since that word has become over-used to the point of meaningless.

Also, regardless of how well anything in the article worked, I still love that Kill Screen goes for that kind of thing, you know? Kotaku or what have you would never try anything like that. Different approaches to games journalism can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Repetition can be a really strong tool in writing, but honestly, that article overdid it so much it removed all meaning from it and left me feeling pretty irritated. Obviously this is subjective, but I would say it well and truly crossed the line between "making a point" and "trying to draw attention to how clever the writer thinks they are by using repetition of the word 'you' to make a point", which did not go down well with me.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I pretty quickly stopped paying any attention to the unbolded stuff as anything other than a background for the actual writing, and just skipped from bold section to bold section, so it didn't really bother me. I just saw the "you"s as framing, not as an actual part of the article.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I would too, just because every time I make it up to the Silver Rush, I wish I could actually make use of their incredible stockpile.

You can (mostly). Just pick up whatever you want with the z key, go through the unlocked door into another part of the building, and take the item while hidden. It doesn't even take away karma.

And a question. I'm stuck in Caesar's camp until I do the quest to go in the bunker thing. I want to do Yes Man's quests, will this lock me out in any way?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Genocyber posted:

You can (mostly). Just pick up whatever you want with the z key, go through the unlocked door into another part of the building, and take the item while hidden. It doesn't even take away karma.

And a question. I'm stuck in Caesar's camp until I do the quest to go in the bunker thing. I want to do Yes Man's quests, will this lock me out in any way?

Absolutely nothing you do will ever lock you out of Yes Man's quest. In fact you should do what Caesar wants in order to get some great dialogue from Yes Man.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Hank Morgan posted:

Absolutely nothing you do will ever lock you out of Yes Man's quest. In fact you should do what Caesar wants in order to get some great dialogue from Yes Man.

However, if you do what Caesar tells you, you're locked out of House's quests. But if you ignore Caesar and do what House says, Caesar still thinks you did what he said.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I more meant that I never put points in energy weapons, so all the stuff there is useless to me except to sell it.

I'm not sure if destroying the robots locks you out of Yes Man's stuff, since he wants you to activate them. But it does turn House hostile the next time you see him.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

DeathChicken posted:

I'm not sure if destroying the robots locks you out of Yes Man's stuff, since he wants you to activate them.

The only thing that locks you out of Yes Man's quest line is initiating the final battle on someone else's side.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Oh my God Old World Blues, you're doing your best to keep me from enjoying you. :negative:

I decided to go exploring and dump extra stuff in Higgs Village for a while to keep myself busy while the Sink gained a new inventory (I had sold so much stuff it only had a few hundred caps left, and I wanted it to restock some more ammo.) But the gate to Higgs is, about 50% of the time, a crash, as is fast travel. Other cell transitions occasionally crash me as well. Everything else in the game is pretty much stable by now, except the Big Empty. And when I go in and out of Higgs, it seems as if the respawn time for generic enemies, which is something like a couple of days in the Mojave, has been shortened to about a half hour tops (exaggerating, but only a little) so I'm constantly gunning down Lobotomites and Y-17s whether I want to or not, and then my OCD basically causes me to max out my inventory at every location so I'm going back and forth and back and forth... ugh.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Teen Hero Greg posted:

Oh my God Old World Blues, you're doing your best to keep me from enjoying you. :negative:

I decided to go exploring and dump extra stuff in Higgs Village for a while to keep myself busy while the Sink gained a new inventory (I had sold so much stuff it only had a few hundred caps left, and I wanted it to restock some more ammo.) But the gate to Higgs is, about 50% of the time, a crash, as is fast travel. Other cell transitions occasionally crash me as well. Everything else in the game is pretty much stable by now, except the Big Empty. And when I go in and out of Higgs, it seems as if the respawn time for generic enemies, which is something like a couple of days in the Mojave, has been shortened to about a half hour tops (exaggerating, but only a little) so I'm constantly gunning down Lobotomites and Y-17s whether I want to or not, and then my OCD basically causes me to max out my inventory at every location so I'm going back and forth and back and forth... ugh.

Have you had enemies literally spawning right in front of you? I just started OWB and I had a tiny alpha male deathclaw literally spawn right in front of me as I walked in front of its 'dog-house'. The first time it happened, I was so surprised, I barely managed a few shot before it killed me in one hit. The next time, I was carefully sneaking up, only for it to spawn *again*, right in front of me. Lady Luck turned up in VATS though, so that stunned the thing, so I could run back to the fountain.

Oh, and 3 security bots spawned in front of me, just as I was entering the Yangtze Camp. No warning, they just materialize out of thin air and start blasting.

GG Obsidian :downsbravo:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Have you had enemies literally spawning right in front of you? I just started OWB and I had a tiny alpha male deathclaw literally spawn right in front of me as I walked in front of its 'dog-house'. The first time it happened, I was so surprised, I barely managed a few shot before it killed me in one hit. The next time, I was carefully sneaking up, only for it to spawn *again*, right in front of me. Lady Luck turned up in VATS though, so that stunned the thing, so I could run back to the fountain.

Oh, and 3 security bots spawned in front of me, just as I was entering the Yangtze Camp. No warning, they just materialize out of thin air and start blasting.

GG Obsidian :downsbravo:

Rumor has it that a certain Obsidian staff member didn't like the "Sneaky Sniper Guy" a lot of people build. The way enemies work in OWB clearly reflects this. In fact, it seems that there are approximately 9 "entities" that control most enemies in OWB. Ordinarily, once you kill something, it takes a specific amount of time for it to respawn. Until then (say, 72 in-game hours) the area is effectively cleared. Rather than being restricted to spawn like ordinary opponents, these entities basically follow you around. When you kill whatever they happen to be controlling at the moment--a Nightstalker, Lobotomite, Y-17 harness, whatever--the entities run off and create something else to pilot around and harass you with.

You are literally fighting 9 immortal things, which almost always know where you are because they are programmed to spawn in your general vicinity, and when you kill them, they just go and become something else. :tinfoil:

EDIT: I would recommend using Puce Moose's OWB plugins, since he addresses these terrible gameplay decisions.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Sounds like why I could never get into Left 4 Dead. If I clear out a room full of zombies, I want to consider that room cleared out, not cleared out until the AI decides I'm playing too well and cheats by teleporting in some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Basically none of my major problems with Old World Blues described above would happen if the Sink restocked more frequently, though. I think it's four days out of the sink cell- in the main world I believe it's more like three, and in the main world you have other options.