Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Telven posted:

So I just bought a Asus tf300 32gb and I forfeited best buys insurance policy because it was $200. And sure enough, it falls two feet and cracks the screen a week later. Is there anything at all that I can do to get this fixed?

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Best Buy has a 14 or 30 day no questions asked return policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Best Buy has a 14 or 30 day no questions asked return policy?
It's not "no questions asked." If you damaged it they won't take it back.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Telven posted:

So I just bought a Asus tf300 32gb and I forfeited best buys insurance policy because it was $200. And sure enough, it falls two feet and cracks the screen a week later. Is there anything at all that I can do to get this fixed?

Squaretrade. It's not the most honest thing in the world, but you can sign up for a policy up to a month after you bought your tablet.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's not "no questions asked." If you damaged it they won't take it back.

Certainly makes sense. I've taken a few things back in the time frame and they never even opened the box. Guess I just figured that was the case.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's always possible you'll get a kid who doesn't give a poo poo about his job (actually it's likely at Best Buy) but they're supposed to have stuff like tablets, digital cameras, laptops, etc. taken to the service guys for inspection before processing the return.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
You could also sell it, investigate the cost of a replacement screen and fix it, buy a bricked unit with a working screen and do a swap, etc. You, know... act like an adult, I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

It's always possible you'll get a kid who doesn't give a poo poo about his job (actually it's likely at Best Buy) but they're supposed to have stuff like tablets, digital cameras, laptops, etc. taken to the service guys for inspection before processing the return.

This. You have nothing to lose. I've returned all sorts of things that really weren't returnable buy walking right up to the return desk, honestly stating what I did, and then returning it. It really helps if you can make some kind of awful pun about how your tablet screen is now "broken due to an unfortunate gravity related interaction." If you aren't a passive agressive dick you can accomplish all sorts of things.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This. You have nothing to lose. I've returned all sorts of things that really weren't returnable buy walking right up to the return desk, honestly stating what I did, and then returning it. It really helps if you can make some kind of awful pun about how your tablet screen is now "broken due to an unfortunate gravity related interaction." If you aren't a passive agressive dick you can accomplish all sorts of things.

As long as you don't misrepresent it and get charged with Fraud.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zarkov Cortez posted:

As long as you don't misrepresent it and get charged with Fraud.

I'm not saying to lie. I'm saying to go right up to the clerk, tell him exactly what happened, and ask for a return or exchange. Worst case is he says no, and you are out the ten minute it takes to go down to the store and ask. If the guy says no, then you can always ask for a manager, and see if he helps. You can do this nicely, and not have to lie at all.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
So uh, screen flickering on the nexus 7. Just keep returning it until I get one that doesn't flicker? It's pretty bad, I don't see how anyone would just ignore it and hope for the best.

edit: I see now that's pretty much the only option.

Doodarazumas fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 23, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know if this is the right thread or not. But I have a Nook Color running on 1.4.3 and want to root it to make it a normalish tablet. I've tried google but I don't actually know what the best directions to follow are. Any advice?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Doodarazumas posted:

So uh, screen flickering on the nexus 7. Just keep returning it until I get one that doesn't flicker? It's pretty bad, I don't see how anyone would just ignore it and hope for the best.

edit: I see now that's pretty much the only option.

I actually haven't seen this. The screen will change brightness slightly when moving in and out of differently lit areas but it doesn't exactly flicker.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I actually haven't seen this. The screen will change brightness slightly when moving in and out of differently lit areas but it doesn't exactly flicker.

It's basically like the screen is backlit by a crappy flourescent tube for a second or so once every 5 minutes. Honestly the effect itself is not that jarring, but I don't want the screen to completely die just out of warranty or something cute like that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I RMA'd mine because of the flickering, it's an obvious hardware fault. I should be getting it back within a couple of working days.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Len posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not. But I have a Nook Color running on 1.4.3 and want to root it to make it a normalish tablet. I've tried google but I don't actually know what the best directions to follow are. Any advice?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/

I followed the directions from these guys on mine, it's pretty straight forward and I had good luck with it. Personally I've done the Android-ified Nook Color and I have a Nexus 7. You're better off buying a Nexus 7.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
More of a hypothetical tablet question than a just android tablet question - but is it plausible for their to be a hybrid Android/Windows 8 tablet in the future? As in one that can dual boot both operating systems.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gyshall posted:

More of a hypothetical tablet question than a just android tablet question - but is it plausible for their to be a hybrid Android/Windows 8 tablet in the future? As in one that can dual boot both operating systems.
Acer had Android/Windows netbooks years ago, so I imagine someone will try it again with tablets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Acer had Android/Windows netbooks years ago, so I imagine someone will try it again with tablets.
Pretty sure Asus has already shown one off. (Of course it would be Asus.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gyshall posted:

I thought part of the licensing agreement for Windows 8 for tablets said that you can't have any other OS on the device. I'm not sure if that's just the ARM version or what. Asus got around this by effectively using two computers.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494901

That'll root it for you. Then you can use Rom Manager to flash CM7 to it easily.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gyshall posted:

This is sort of what the Asus Transformer AIO is, but not in the way you'd want. When it's docked like a Desktop, it runs Windows 8. When you remove it from the dock, it switches to Android. Also it has an 18 inch screen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is sort of what the Asus Transformer AIO is, but not in the way you'd want. When it's docked like a Desktop, it runs Windows 8. When you remove it from the dock, it switches to Android. Also it has an 18 inch screen.
The screen is an Android tablet, the dock is a Windows 8 Desktop. When it's docked, it just acts like a screen (and maybe inputs?) for the actual Windows 8 desktop and hides Android. When you remove it from the dock, the display switches to Android. I think there's also a way to remote from the tablet to the Windows desktop.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Viewsonic had a hybrid windows/android tablet and it was terrible. I think it ran android 1.5 or 1.6.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Don Lapre posted:

it was terrible... it ran android 1.5 or 1.6.
You don't say

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If the Surface runs a Tegra3 then Android should run pretty easily on it. I think a more likely scenario is someone gets Windows 8 to run on an Android tablet, due to the fact that all Windows 8 RT devices are supposed to have locked bootloaders, right?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The screen is an Android tablet, the dock is a Windows 8 Desktop. When it's docked, it just acts like a screen (and maybe inputs?) for the actual Windows 8 desktop and hides Android. When you remove it from the dock, the display switches to Android. I think there's also a way to remote from the tablet to the Windows desktop.

This is crazy. So the drives are partitioned so you have easy access to files on each side?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

beerinator posted:

This is crazy. So the drives are partitioned so you have easy access to files on each side?
I don't know what partitioning would do when you have (I assume) two separate physical volumes.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Yes my Acer W500 tablet running Win8 can also dual-boot Android 4.0 apparently. I don't care to try it but I've heard it's decent.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PadreScout posted:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/

I followed the directions from these guys on mine, it's pretty straight forward and I had good luck with it. Personally I've done the Android-ified Nook Color and I have a Nexus 7. You're better off buying a Nexus 7.

Thanks I'm gonna look into this. I don't really want to buy a dedicated tablet since I have a laptop but if I could add a little more functionality to the Nook it would be a fun little thing to gently caress around with I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there any application that enables me to use my tablet as a secondary monitor with my Win7 PC that doesn't disable Aero and DirectX? Kind of annoyed with Air Display and iDisplay right now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Rather than talk about anecdotal one-off defects in ASUS hardware, I wish we could talk about proven duplicatable issues like the I/O glitch. People thought jelly bean was going to fix that. I know the 300 isn't as bad as the 700 on this, but is it any better?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Len posted:

Thanks I'm gonna look into this. I don't really want to buy a dedicated tablet since I have a laptop but if I could add a little more functionality to the Nook it would be a fun little thing to gently caress around with I guess.

My experience with a rooted nook over the past few days:
It's aight. I honestly use it for controlling spotify and maybe browsing internet when im in the living room or something. If the bluetooth functionality wasn't hacked in and worked like bluetooth should, it would be a lot better. I'm considering putting it in my truck as a head for my stereo, and maybe buying one of those bluetooth GPS dongles. To get mobile internet on it you can always turn your cell phone into a wifi hotspot, but that's kind of tedious. Overall, it's alright, but I'm not sure if the $160 bucks I spent on it was worth it over something more full-featured. I think once school starts I might go back to the stock nook firmware and use it for textbooks.

I will say though, that the overclocking available through the darlingin kernel makes the thing actually usable. It just depends on what exactly you want to use it for. I'm assuming that once I start converting my house to automated locks/doors/whatever it might become a lot more useful to me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Update on my N7 return: got messages from Ebuyer saying they've approved the fault and my replacement N7 is being picked today, I'll probably get it next week (Monday is a bank/federal holiday). Assuming it's all fine (I'll have to watch for the screen lifting again and the flickering) it's not too bad of an RMA experience.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did there used to be a Google body app back in honeycomb days? I can't find it on my N7

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

invision posted:

If the bluetooth functionality wasn't hacked in and worked like bluetooth should, it would be a lot better.

With a few rare exceptions, Bluetooth sucks out loud.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

invision posted:

If the bluetooth functionality wasn't hacked in and worked like bluetooth should, it would be a lot better.

Isn't the Nook the one that they literally just didn't bother attaching an actual antenna to the Bluetooth chip?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cakefool posted:

Did there used to be a Google body app back in honeycomb days? I can't find it on my N7

There was, it was axed.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/01/google-body-becomes-zygote-body-built.html

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

OldPueblo posted:

Yes my Acer W500 tablet running Win8 can also dual-boot Android 4.0 apparently. I don't care to try it but I've heard it's decent.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Interesting, this is what I'm looking for. That tablet that just switches between Win 8/Android depending on if it is docked or not sounds pretty dumb, honestly. I like control.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Interesting, this is what I'm looking for. That tablet that just switches between Win 8/Android depending on if it is docked or not sounds pretty dumb, honestly. I like control.
I remember reading the Transformer AiO has a switch or button that will let you toggle. But it's 3 times the surface area of an iPad so I don't really think it's meant to be used as a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
The Nexus 7 is loving sweet for $200-250. I got the 16 GB model and the thing is ridiculously fast. Getting what's essentially a portable quad-core computer that can last for up to 8 hours or so for only $200 is awesome. If I could've even fathomed that capability for so cheap a few years ago I would've thought I was crazy. I've been playing with it for a while after opening it today but I haven't had any flickering issues or other problems with the display. Perhaps something could happen down the line but so far the experience is awesome. Android 4.0 has really taken the OS to a new level, especially in terms of flow of the UI and stability. The multi-core utilization is amazing. I literally had 10 apps running in the background, including a video, Netflix, and Google Earth, and its still very responsive.

I say if you're looking for a tablet and like Android, you can't go wrong.