Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I hate working in a lightless air-conditioned cave, but apparently my coworkers hate light and fresh air :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
The lightless area here is inexplicably the lighters. I don't get it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I am also a windows-open coder.

But it sucks to be the dude actually backed up against the window. Glare-o-rama. Windows work better when you're not in one of those goofy "everyone faces every which way" offices. The units near windows need to be facing the windows, not backed up against them.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Shalinor posted:

I am also a windows-open coder.

But it sucks to be the dude actually backed up against the window. Glare-o-rama. Windows work better when you're not in one of those goofy "everyone faces every which way" offices. The units near windows need to be facing the windows, not backed up against them.

while that'd be even worse for me, I currently have my machine below a window and because we here in ROYAL Leamington Spa seem to love our classic Upstairs Downstairs white-painted buildings, there just so happens to be one in front of my window and the sun shines on it on the afternoons, so the contrast effect crushes the dark colours on my screen to the point where i can't tell black from a dark blue :C a problem if you're painting. :goleft:

I could slide up a space but I like fresh air on me too much :sigh: first world problems

also the walls are the wrong shade of cream, fucks with the feng shui yknow?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 23, 2012

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Shalinor posted:

But it sucks to be the dude actually backed up against the window.

hello! This was me in Austin. One of our other animators would do everything he could to open them, unfortunately with them open I couldn't see my screen. We finally agreed on "blinds open in the morning, closed in the afternoon" since ya know, couldn't see my screen.

Here we have screens that let light through vs. blinds. It's really nice, keeps it dark but still lets some sunlight and color through especially in the afternoon. Basically it's as if it were perpetually overcast (though its pretty drat dark when it is overcast)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

while that'd be even worse for me, I currently have my machine below a window and because we here in ROYAL Leamington Spa seem to love our classic Upstairs Downstairs white-painted buildings, there just so happens to be one in front of my window and the sun shines on it on the afternoons, so the contrast effect crushes the dark colours on my screen to the point where i can't tell black from a dark blue :C a problem if you're painting. :goleft:

I could slide up a space but I like fresh air on me too much :sigh: first world problems

also the walls are the wrong shade of cream, fucks with the feng shui yknow?

The roof of our entire studio is a giant sky light. Summer is hell after 2pm.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You work at Ion Storm Dallas? Can you get me John Romero's autograph? :v:

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
My studio has two offices in our main studio building. The artist/programming/systems office is dark with blinded windows, while the designer/community/marketting offices are a lot brighter and noisier.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Aliginge posted:

You work at Ion Storm Dallas? Can you get me John Romero's autograph? :v:

$50.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What about views? I only bring it up as an excuse to brag about mine:

:smug:

Edit: Ok, the abandoned parking garage that someone got stabbed in once isn't the greatest, but the other stuff is pretty nice.

Balatron
Jun 8, 2003

Yoshi is a dinosaur sort of.
We've embraced the darkness in our design area, most of the ceiling lights are covered in dim filters and we have chunky industrial light fixtures pointing at odd angles for accents. We couldn't even make it bright in here if we tried. I hope we get to show off what this place looks like in a making-of video or something, it's kind of crazy.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Our windows don't open, but I might be in the running for best office view. Luckily we have a half-setting for the over head flourescents, so it's dark enough for the dark-lovers and the light lovers have their precious light.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I'm very much a "sunlight and open windows for gentle breeze" kinda person. Surprised to hear that's an anomaly for programmer/technical types.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my view is pretty sweet too, oh wait.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

concerned mom posted:

Average day in coventry tbh :goleft:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

concerned mom posted:

What's wrong with watching your competitor's building burn down I don't get it :ese:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Well, I have to take some photos out the window tomorrow now. Our office is in the middle of a wildlife conservancy area, which means there are a bunch of lakes full of ducks and huge carp and grassy fields with bunnies and birdies everywhere... literally outside the window.

We had an email the other week asking people to be careful coming into the car park cause there's a pond by the road where some moorhens have been hatching a couple clutches of eggs, and some babies got squashed the other day there :ohdear:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

concerned mom posted:

You at Full Fat? Was easy for me to find since it was the only building that could have a 15th floor, so figure that's the only place that could have been taken.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

I always wondered what that view was like. Dear mucky old Cov looks almost nice in that picture.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I end up having to move my desk every 9 months or so, but I always demand a window seat.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
We have a view of the office building next door and the one across the street. We're in a one story building :(

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

We have a view of the office building next door and the one across the street. We're in a one story building :(

Ground floor of a two story building on the corner of a street where all of the most aggressive dickhole drivers in the West Midlands* like to pull out onto the main street with minor wheelspins.

Still, beats working about a Kwik Fit.

* A misnomer, all drivers in the west midlands seem to be aggressive dickholes. I think it's the fresh air and lack of things to complain about. :goleft:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Compared to where I lived last, I hear a nice, distinct lack of people peeling out in the middle of the night. Between that, the lack of bugs and nice weather, Wisconsin owns pretty hard. But the downside is its Wisconsin.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

aww ye

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Aren't you in Dundee? Summer only lasts for two days, man up.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

waffledoodle posted:

I end up having to move my desk every 9 months or so, but I always demand a window seat.

That's gorgeous. Where is that exactly?

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.
Hey, I recognize that bridge! ...and those conspicuous, omnipresent cranes.

I just bid farewell to my fourth-floor window overlooking Balboa Park, as the company is moving its operations over to Mission Valley :(

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

wasabimilkshake posted:

Hey, I recognize that bridge! ...and those conspicuous, omnipresent cranes.

I just bid farewell to my fourth-floor window overlooking Balboa Park, as the company is moving its operations over to Mission Valley :(

that is tragic :( now you can overlook Nordstrom Rack and Fuddrucker's.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

SnafuAl posted:

Aren't you in Dundee? Summer only lasts for two days, man up.

Hey! Dundee is Scotland's sunniest city, apparently.

I think I've posted this before, but this was the view from my desk (until a fortnight ago):

Monster's giant skylight is to the right and forward a bit, incidentally.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

mutata posted:

What about views? I only bring it up as an excuse to brag about mine:

:smug:

Edit: Ok, the abandoned parking garage that someone got stabbed in once isn't the greatest, but the other stuff is pretty nice.

I remember parking on that abandoned garage. We couldn't park on the bottom because cement from the top floor would fall down. The gaps were so big you could fall through it. Also, showed up one weekend during crunch and saw the most horrifying thing happening in the stair well between two homeless people. Ugh.

That was before the parking lot to the east. Crazy seeing those trees so tall.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

But it's six of us crammed in a single room office with an integrated kitchen and a tiny bathroom. Yay third world developers!

It's funny when someone says there's a meeting and then everyone just turns in their chairs.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Smegbot posted:

I think I've posted this before, but this was the view from my desk (until a fortnight ago):

HEY CAN I COME IN I WANNA PLAY YOUR GAME HEY HEY LEMME IN

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Catagorical posted:

That's gorgeous. Where is that exactly?

Up in good ol' Austin hill country, around the corner from Vigil actually.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wasabimilkshake posted:

Zynga? I hear they have a 100-person studio somewhere in San Diego.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If I go to the nearest window, I can see another converted airplane hanger identical to the one I am in.

I wish I had a picture from last summer, 17 stories up looking out at Mt Ranier :)

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Are there any Australians in here? Preferably Animators? I'm starting an animation course next year at one of two places (tossing up between Quantm and JMC) and it would be good to pick someones brain on where they studied, what indie studios are around, how soon I'll have to piss off to America or Europe etc.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Adraeus posted:

Zynga? I hear they have a 100-person studio somewhere in San Diego.

I believe Zynga is in north county.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I wish my house ... errr ... office, was in a better location now.
When I look out my window, all I see is bioware, a strip joint, a superstore, and a half dozen hotels.
and the brewery I suppose.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Smegbot posted:

Did you apply to us btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm in Vietnam, gently caress opening the windows and thank god for AC.