Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Federal savings bank, but USAA mostly targets military and family and generally operates at a pretty low profit margin. Their checking/savings products are open to everybody, I think everything else requires some form of military affiliation. Their "free checking" really is free - ATM fee rebates up to something like $10-15/month, free checks for life, no monthly fees.

Wells Fargo wouldn't give you an account if you're on ChexSystems unless it's a "second chance" account, which has some pretty lovely restrictions - At least 2x/month direct deposit totaling over $100 per deposit, laughable ATM fees, no ATM deposits, mandatory transfers to savings every month, online banking only (at least at the branch I used). They forced me to "second chance" as soon as I mentioned I might have some issues in my history, but never ran a ChexSystems or credit report. :argh: Only reason I wanted to use them is they had a branch on UNT's campus.. Even Chase wouldn't send my account into a negative balance if there wasn't enough to cover a monthly fee; WF sent both accounts into the negative for the monthly fee then had the balls to charge me daily fees on top of that once it'd been a few days.

I had no ideas USAA was that available, my boyfriend is active-duty Air Force and uses them for everything so I had figured that I wasn't able to use them. Free checking etc. would be awesome.

I had signed up for a "College Checking" type of thing with Wells Fargo so that might be why they even let me in. It seems less restricted than the "second chance" but it sort of sucks because it does require the mandatory savings on each purchase or else I have to pay some poo poo like $12/month. I have it set so it just has to move $1 each time and then each month I move it all back. They recently gave me a credit card so I'm guessing something must've fallen off my credit report because I couldn't get one last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
After failing to verify my debt these collection jerks added the debt to one of my reports anyway. I've disputed it but I only have another two weeks until I'm leaving for the military. Worst case scenario, I pay the whole amount including the "interest" that they tacked on, which I'm fairly certain isn't legal. Can I sue their asses for collecting a debt without verifying, claiming a debt is accurate when it isn't and adding interest fees, even if I pay the amount? I'd hate to have to go through all this trouble just to have to pay these jerks because they snuck in a final attempt.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

As an active duty member of the military you have special remedies available to you by law, especially if you're being deployed. Get in touch with base legal, they can help you far more than a thread with no lawyers.

Citrine
Jan 2, 2012
Please remind me to go practice pull-ups.
In the past 2 years over $10k of collections have appeared on my credit reports. They are not mine and have a very similar name or same name on them. I filed police reports, faxed information, filled out forms, and all of them have been removed. I've put blocks but they are for utilities (??) and credit cards. In the last month a new $150 collection appeared for Charter. I have not had utilities in my name for over a year.

How do I stop this? I have blocks, I can't open up a new CC without verification. My name is basically Jane Smith. The collections don't have my social on file and have different addresses but still show up on Equifax / Experian reports. I'm frustrated. Any advice is so appreciated. I don't want this blocking future loans or jobs. Even if I can get it removed it still takes 1-2 months.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
I have a similar, but milder problem. I posted earlier about planning to do CMRRR debt verification letters for a debt that was not mine. Experian was basically like "Our automated telephone called this person and they said this debt was yours so we're not removing it". The green slip I sent to the company itself I never got back. I just got a yellow slip saying the mail is undeliverable. What am I supposed to do if I can't contact the place by mail and Experian refuses to remove it?
I want to emphasize that it's not my debt and I have no idea how it got on there, I too have a common name.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

hitension posted:

I have a similar, but milder problem. I posted earlier about planning to do CMRRR debt verification letters for a debt that was not mine. Experian was basically like "Our automated telephone called this person and they said this debt was yours so we're not removing it". The green slip I sent to the company itself I never got back. I just got a yellow slip saying the mail is undeliverable. What am I supposed to do if I can't contact the place by mail and Experian refuses to remove it?
I want to emphasize that it's not my debt and I have no idea how it got on there, I too have a common name.

Look online, but the next step is pretty straight forward. You dispute by mail with Experian including the both the original green slip for the CMRR (the piece you keep) and the yellow sheet hsowing it was undeliverable, and you say since they are not verifying and are unreachable, you demand to have it removed. You send this CMRR as well.

If they don't remove it, you shoot off another one saying they violated the FCRA by reporting an invalid tradline. At this point they usually drop it without an issue.

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012
Hello! I am desperate for some help! I'm being sued by a jdb on behalf of Midland Funding and received a notice stuck on my door last week; it included a 'Discovery' and 'Interrogatories' that I'm supposed to answer by Monday. I realize I'm a bit late on this but was in another forum seeking help and ended up more confused than ever. If the original poster of this discussion is still around, perhaps you can tell me how I'm supposed to answer the questions that were sent with the citation. The first group tell me to 'admit' or 'deny' with the first question being 'Admit or Deny that you requested that Capital One Bank open a credit card account on your behalf'. How do I answer this? I did have a Cap One credit card which was last paid on in 2007; it was charged off in 2010. Last year I received a settlement offer from a law firm representing Midland which did not mention Cap One at all; I promptly sent a debt validation request via certified mail with delivery confirmation - it was delivered Oct. 5; on Oct. 6 this suit was filed by that law firm although I just got served Aug. 16. I'm hoping I can get some direction here on how to proceed - I can't get an attorney to return my calls so I'm on my own here and completely in over my head...I suppose the first question is- do I admit or deny the Cap One reference? Any advice is appreciated..I won't post what I originally thought would be the right answer because all I got in the other forum were responses that my answers were bad but no one offered what a 'good' answer would be. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

*** I'm not your lawyer, probably not licensed to practice law in your state ***

Steps to take:
1) Go to the court the case is in, tell the clerk that you are "pro se" and need a form to file an "answer" or "denial" in the case. (The form will vary from state to state and court to court). If you don't file an answer, they win automatically.

2) Answer the Interrogatories as "Deny". Note, if you lose the case the other side may be able to ask for additional legal fees in the case if they have to prove something you denied. If you "Admit", you lose the case. If they've requested any documents, just state that you don't have any. Send your written discovery and interrogatory answers to the law firm via certified mail (not the court house). If you don't respond to these requests, they win automatically.

3) You've bought yourself some time now. The Court date might not be for 6 months. Hire a lawyer to represent you. If you show up to trial in person, the opposing lawyer will call you as a witness, swear you in, and you'll lose the case if you answer truthfully. In my state, the defendant doesn't need to be present if they've hired a lawyer. If you or a lawyer don't show up to trial, they win automatically

What they are doing:
They fill hundreds of these law suits a month. It takes time and money to get the evidence needed to win at trial. Their goal is to structure the proceedings so that you'll lose without them having to have evidence. If they show up to trail without evidence they'll either 1) lose the case or 2) non-suit the case. A non-suit generally means they can sue you again (after paying court costs and serving you again) but you may have stalled out the Statute of Limitations (varies from state to state).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm confused. You say " I did have a Cap One credit card which was last paid on in 2007; it was charged off in 2010." They can't take 3 years to charge something off (to the best of my knowledge). In my experience the month after you miss your payment you go into internal collections and roughly after 6 months of non payment the Cap One charges the debt off, sells the debt to a collection agency and has to write it off it's books.

The reason I bring this up, is the date the debt was charged off makes a big difference. If it was charged off in 2010 you're probably hosed if they have their ducks in a row at trial.

If it was charged off in 2007, you could be outside the Statute of Limitations on the debt and it might be noncollectable.

When was the last payment made on the account? When was the debt first transferred to a debt collector?

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

A few months I was served with a petition informing me I was being sue for an old Mastercard debt that had been purchased by a third party. I immediately sent off a debt validation letter and didn't hear anything back until the 17th of this month.

The law firm representing the debt collectors sent some paperwork with old statements and showing that they had purchased the debt from chase. This paperwork arrived on the 17th of this month.

Yesterday I received a notice that on the 8th a judgement had been made against me due to my failure to respond to the suit.

My question is wether this is allowed and what recourse I have at this point. I can clearly prove I requested debt validation and received it after the judgment against me. Do I need to just pay the debt and lawyer fees which are around 6k?

State is Oklahoma.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an old debt that I'm trying to fix.

The debt is through Fair Collections and Outsourcing. I attempted to organize a pay for delete, but they said they won't delete anything from my credit report. The debt isn't even legitimate so I'm not going to pay it if my credit report doesn't get repaired.

Since FCC are impossible to work with, if the debt has been sent to a collection agency, can I still repair it through the original debtor? Or do they no longer have any say in the matter?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Os Furoris posted:

My question is wether this is allowed and what recourse I have at this point. I can clearly prove I requested debt validation and received it after the judgment against me. Do I need to just pay the debt and lawyer fees which are around 6k?

The lawsuit process is separate from the validation/dispute process. Were you served with the lawsuit? Your request for debt validation doesn't slow or stop the judgment. If this was very recent, there may be a process for you to undo the default judgment and request a retrial. But I wouldn't be super optimistic that you'll get out of it once they're at the point of judgment.

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I'm confused. You say " I did have a Cap One credit card which was last paid on in 2007; it was charged off in 2010." They can't take 3 years to charge something off (to the best of my knowledge). In my experience the month after you miss your payment you go into internal collections and roughly after 6 months of non payment the Cap One charges the debt off, sells the debt to a collection agency and has to write it off it's books.

The reason I bring this up, is the date the debt was charged off makes a big difference. If it was charged off in 2010 you're probably hosed if they have their ducks in a row at trial.

I'm going by the info on my credit report - the only references on the Cap One account is the opening date of 2005 with a balance of $350; the next reference is the charge off in 2010. So...guess I'm hosed?

If it was charged off in 2007, you could be outside the Statute of Limitations on the debt and it might be noncollectable.

skipdogg posted:

When was the last payment made on the account? When was the debt first transferred to a debt collector?

Last payment was made in August of 2007

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

*** I'm not your lawyer, probably not licensed to practice law in your state ***

Steps to take:
1) Go to the court the case is in, tell the clerk that you are "pro se" and need a form to file an "answer" or "denial" in the case. (The form will vary from state to state and court to court). If you don't file an answer, they win automatically.

2) Answer the Interrogatories as "Deny". Note, if you lose the case the other side may be able to ask for additional legal fees in the case if they have to prove something you denied. If you "Admit", you lose the case. If they've requested any documents, just state that you don't have any. Send your written discovery and interrogatory answers to the law firm via certified mail (not the court house). If you don't respond to these requests, they win automatically.

3) You've bought yourself some time now. The Court date might not be for 6 months. Hire a lawyer to represent you. If you show up to trial in person, the opposing lawyer will call you as a witness, swear you in, and you'll lose the case if you answer truthfully. In my state, the defendant doesn't need to be present if they've hired a lawyer. If you or a lawyer don't show up to trial, they win automatically

What they are doing:
They fill hundreds of these law suits a month. It takes time and money to get the evidence needed to win at trial. Their goal is to structure the proceedings so that you'll lose without them having to have evidence. If they show up to trail without evidence they'll either 1) lose the case or 2) non-suit the case. A non-suit generally means they can sue you again (after paying court costs and serving you again) but you may have stalled out the Statute of Limitations (varies from state to state).

Thank you - I will do that -I'm going to just offer a statment to the effect of "I deny the plaintiff's claims" and see what happens. Since I live in Texas and pretty much my credit is as hosed as credit can possibly be and I dont' have a checking account, really not sure what they think they can get. Although I'm really going to look into suing them for not answering my debt validation request last year!

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

woozle wuzzle posted:

The lawsuit process is separate from the validation/dispute process. Were you served with the lawsuit? Your request for debt validation doesn't slow or stop the judgment. If this was very recent, there may be a process for you to undo the default judgment and request a retrial. But I wouldn't be super optimistic that you'll get out of it once they're at the point of judgment.

Any advice on what I should do? This debt is four years old. At this point it looks like they will garnish my wages so I assume they wont want to negotiate a payment.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
If the judgment was obtained within the last week or so, you may have an ability to get a retrial on the default judgment. But you might just lose that retrial.

They'll still work with you on terms to get the judgment paid. They'd rather get paid direct than mess with garnishments. Garnishments are very possible, but don't automatically or necessarily follow a judgment. They have to know where you work or bank. If you think they know where you bank, then be careful about leaving piles of money in your accounts that you can't live without. A garnishment on your accounts can hit without notice, and that sucks if it locks up your rent/mortgage the day before its due. If you can negotiate terms to satisfy the judgment, they'll back off and let those terms play out. But they usually won't give you much leeway in terms of a break on the total balance on a judgment.

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Steps to take:

What they are doing:

OK, talked to the clerk at the JP's office and she said they have no forms and to just submit in writing...can you tell me, is this sufficient and is it in decent form so as not to piss the judge off?

To The Honorable Judge (JUDGES NAME)
Justice of the Peace
Precinct No. X – CITY, COUNTY, STATE

RE: Case # XXXXXXXXX
Midland Funding LLC vs. ME

Your Honor,
I deny the Plaintiff’s claim in its entirety and ask that Midland Funding LLC demonstrate that they have the authority to sue in this matter.

Respectfully,
ME

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

VickiCJ1358 posted:

Thank you - I will do that -I'm going to just offer a statment to the effect of "I deny the plaintiff's claims" and see what happens. Since I live in Texas and pretty much my credit is as hosed as credit can possibly be and I dont' have a checking account, really not sure what they think they can get. Although I'm really going to look into suing them for not answering my debt validation request last year!

Yeah, Texas and Florida have generally the best exempt property (dating back to when we were Spanish colonies). The lovely thing about a judgment is that they can keep it around for as long as you are alive. Open a bank account 10 years from now? Get a raise and buy some cool non-exempt toy? Try to sell your house? (in Texas they can't foreclose on your house but they can put an "abstract of judgment" in the property records, generally speaking they'd get paid what they are owed upon sale).

I'm also in TX (DFW) and I return phone calls. ;) Shoot me a PM if you'd like additional help. If you aren't in DFW, look for a lawyer here: http://www.naca.net/find-attorney

I've been in court on days where every single person with an attorney won their case and ever person who represented themselves lost in 30 seconds.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

VickiCJ1358 posted:

OK, talked to the clerk at the JP's office and she said they have no forms and to just submit in writing...can you tell me, is this sufficient and is it in decent form so as not to piss the judge off?

I don't really feel comfortable commenting on that. I can tell you that if you google "general denial texas", you'll probably find some help.

Generally you aren't going to piss off the judge if you represent yourself, they know you aren't a lawyer and don't expect you to get it 100% right. Just try and get it 5% right.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

This can't be stated enough:

If you are sued, disputing the debt does not help you. Do not dispute the debt and think that has any effect on the trial.

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yeah, Texas and Florida have generally the best exempt property (dating back to when we were Spanish colonies). The lovely thing about a judgment is that they can keep it around for as long as you are alive. Open a bank account 10 years from now? Get a raise and buy some cool non-exempt toy? Try to sell your house? (in Texas they can't foreclose on your house but they can put an "abstract of judgment" in the property records, generally speaking they'd get paid what they are owed upon sale).

I'm also in TX (DFW) and I return phone calls. ;) Shoot me a PM if you'd like additional help. If you aren't in DFW, look for a lawyer here: http://www.naca.net/find-attorney

I've been in court on days where every single person with an attorney won their case and ever person who represented themselves lost in 30 seconds.

I'm in DFW as well - tried to PM you but had to upgrade my account lol so as soon as that is processed I will PM you because I really do need some help! Called & emailed numerous attorneys around here and not a single one returned the call...

VickiCJ1358
Aug 17, 2012

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm also in TX (DFW) and I return phone calls. ;) Shoot me a PM if you'd like additional help.

I did because I do :-) (PM'd you earlier)

huntergreen
Aug 27, 2012
Hey fellow SA'ers. I have a question for you: I have an outstanding credit card debt that was charged-off and sold to a Junk Debt Buyer (not sure if they can or would verify that they actually own it, but they certainly are reporting it to the CRAs). I am finally back on my feet financially and want to pay off the debt - how should I proceed? My primary goal is to avoid lawsuits and the courthouse. I want to prevent the JDB from selling off the debt again after I pay it, and based on some horror stories I have heard about collections agencies collecting on the "remainder" of settled debt, I am considering paying off the debt in full. any advice for me?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The first, best way to ensure that doesn't happen is for you to go through the validation process. Or you could just throw money at them and hope the problem goes away (it won't). The first few pages of this thread have good info.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

So I did a little bit of glazing and didn't see anything on this. Lets say a collection company gets 2 seperate accounts from a hospital. I've sent them Cease/Desist both times, whatever. If I get a call or whatever regarding a 3rd account from the same collection company would that qualify as contact that I could file suit against or do I have to cease/desist every account that is referred to collections? This is in CA if it matters.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I've read through a LOT of the thread, and decided to ask a few questions based on something that has been going on for 3 months or longer.

In 1992 I bought some furniture from a (looking back) kind of skeezy place.
In 1993 I left Fort Hood, and thinking it was a local place and not a chain, I walked in to pay off my balance (TDY money in hand). They were in the process of switching store locations. I paid it off, and never thought anything about it.

Between 1993 and 2010 I must have moved 20 times. We went through a house fire, a tornado, a flood that came up to the roof, and all those fun times you get in 17 years.

Then in 2010 the company called me, saying I owed them money from back then, and now it was up to $2500. I told them I paid it, they told me too bad, their records showed I didn't.

Three months ago they started calling me with an autodialer.

Between 0800 and 0810 I get the first phone call. The next one comes within a half an hour afterwards.

The phone calls continued at one or two an hour, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK, despite my almost begging them to stop.

I told them I had a pregnant woman in the house with a high risk pregnancy and that they were stressing her out.

They told me to pay my bill, and they'll stop calling me.

I'm at wits end.

I refuse to give them double payment.
I feel like they are blackmailing me.

Tomorrow I'm going to send a certified letter with reciept request and a cease and desist to them. I warned them I would today.

I also told them that I have a 3 day old infant in the house as of today, can they please stop calling.

They told me to pay the bill.

I warned them again about the cease and desist and that they were causing mental anguish to people. I asked them to stop calling.

Instead, they called me every half hour all day.

Is there ANY way I can make this stop?

My kids flinch when the phone rings. They fill up my answering machine by noon. They wake up the newborn with their calling.

I'm at my wits end.

Edit: They also use the "This is a personal business matter!" like some kind of Nigerian scammer, then get pissed when they ask me for my SSN and home address to "verify my identity according to law" and I refuse.

Basically, I'm feeling like I'm being harassed by a scammer who's blackmailing me.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

50 Foot Ant posted:

I've read through a LOT of the thread, and decided to ask a few questions based on something that has been going on for 3 months or longer.

In 1992 I bought some furniture from a (looking back) kind of skeezy place.
In 1993 I left Fort Hood, and thinking it was a local place and not a chain, I walked in to pay off my balance (TDY money in hand). They were in the process of switching store locations. I paid it off, and never thought anything about it.

Between 1993 and 2010 I must have moved 20 times. We went through a house fire, a tornado, a flood that came up to the roof, and all those fun times you get in 17 years.

Then in 2010 the company called me, saying I owed them money from back then, and now it was up to $2500. I told them I paid it, they told me too bad, their records showed I didn't.

Three months ago they started calling me with an autodialer.

Between 0800 and 0810 I get the first phone call. The next one comes within a half an hour afterwards.

The phone calls continued at one or two an hour, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK, despite my almost begging them to stop.

I told them I had a pregnant woman in the house with a high risk pregnancy and that they were stressing her out.

They told me to pay my bill, and they'll stop calling me.

I'm at wits end.

I refuse to give them double payment.
I feel like they are blackmailing me.

Tomorrow I'm going to send a certified letter with reciept request and a cease and desist to them. I warned them I would today.

I also told them that I have a 3 day old infant in the house as of today, can they please stop calling.

They told me to pay the bill.

I warned them again about the cease and desist and that they were causing mental anguish to people. I asked them to stop calling.

Instead, they called me every half hour all day.

Is there ANY way I can make this stop?

My kids flinch when the phone rings. They fill up my answering machine by noon. They wake up the newborn with their calling.

I'm at my wits end.

'92 and '93 should be old enough that the statute of limitations has aged out the debt beyond recovery. If you can get their mailing address, you can send them a registered letter stating as such and requesting all communication be done through mail if they insist on contacting you further.

If you're still in the military, can't you contact a legal services group about this?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

pseudonordic posted:

'92 and '93 should be old enough that the statute of limitations has aged out the debt beyond recovery. If you can get their mailing address, you can send them a registered letter stating as such and requesting all communication be done through mail if they insist on contacting you further.
I tried stating it was a 20 year old debt and to only contact me through mail, and the calls went to every half hour for a week, like they were mocking me. I also never got confirmation they received the letter.

quote:

If you're still in the military, can't you contact a legal services group about this?

Left the military in 1997.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

50 Foot Ant posted:

I tried stating it was a 20 year old debt and to only contact me through mail, and the calls went to every half hour for a week, like they were mocking me. I also never got confirmation they received the letter.

Left the military in 1997.

Send them a "gently caress off" letter. If that doesn't work, tell them you are represented by an attorney and that they must stop contacting you ( just pick one out of the phone book). If you do actually find a lawyer, you've probably got a good FDCPA claim (and local state debt collection laws).

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

quote:

To Whom It May Concern at [REDACTED];

In April of 1992 I closed my account with your company by paying it in full. At that time the store was changing location and/or undergoing renovation. From that point until 2010 I received no contact with your company. However in 2010 your company called me to inform me of a supposed debt that you claimed I owed. You have denied knowledge of my payment, demanding to be given a receipt from 1992.

Since that time you have threatened me with the following:
  • Destruction of my credit score: “I hope you never intend on buying a house!” “Hope you don’t want any student loans.”
  • Legal Action: “We will take you to court in Virginia where you will have to pay to fly out and hire a lawyer, as well as have to pay our legal fees.” “We will sue to take possession of your SSI.” “We will start legal action to collect from your Veteran’s Disability Compensation.”
  • Illegal Collection Activities: “We will garnish wages.” “We will put a lien on your property.” “We will have representatives come to your home and appraise the value of your possessions for auction.”
Additionally, you have performed the following:
  • Called my cell phone repeatedly until I had to shut it off. This is in violation of federal law regarding calling a cell phone.
  • Called my house via auto-dialer seven days a week, from 8AM to 9PM (on several occasions as late as 9:30 PM), every half hour to an hour.
  • Told me to pay or the calls would continue when I called to complain about the frequency, stating it was “the company’s legal right to call as often as they desired at a reasonable time usually between 8AM and 9PM.”
  • Told me that if I did not pay, if and when I gained employment, or should my wife or “pregnant kid” gain employment, you would “call my supervisors and managers and have my wages garnished as well as inform them of my unwillingness to pay a debt and dishonesty.”
  • When I informed you that I would not pay a debt I do not owe and discharged responsibly your company then began calling me every half hour for a period of two weeks.
  • When I requested in writing, via certified mail, that you no longer contact me regarding a debt that had been paid in full and responsibly, the letter was returned unopened on all five occasions, displaying full knowledge that your company knew what the letter contained and wish to avoid any appearance of wrongdoing.
  • When the date that the letter was delivered arrived you called my house two to four times an hour for up to two weeks, confirming you had seen the letter, knew what it was in regards to, and were punishing me. When I requested during those times that the calls stop, I was told to "pay your bill and we'll stop the calls." showing clearly hostility and knowledge of harassment and extortion.
  • When I informed you that we had a high risk pregnant person in the house and to please stop calling, you called 2-4 times an hour for almost a month.
  • When I informed you that an infant was now in the house, you threatened to keep calling unless I paid.
This letter is to inform you of the actions I will be taking on behalf of myself and my family, which you have harassed for over two years.

I have contacted the Oregon Attorney General’s Office in regards to your behavior and tactics and they have advised me to make a formal complaint, which I have done, as well as contact an attorney.

I have contacted an attorney in regards to the blatant harassment tactics.

It is my intention to begin litigation for the following:
  • Harassment
  • Violation of FDCPA and the TCPA.
  • Recompense for having to break my cellphone contract due to your harassment
  • Mental anguish on behalf of the pregnant woman and the infant.
  • Mental anguish on behalf of my family.
  • Verbal threats to livehood.
  • Maliciousness
  • Attempted extortion

Additionally, I am hereby requesting that no more telephone communication take place.

Finally, you have until 30 days after I receive confirmation of this letter being received or the letter is returned to me unopened to reply, after which I will proceed with legal action in the Oregon Courts.
Signed:

How does that look for a firm gently caress OFF letter?

Or should it just be "Quit calling me, assholes?"

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

50 Foot Ant posted:

How does that look for a firm gently caress OFF letter?

Or should it just be "Quit calling me, assholes?"

Should get their attention.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

Should get their attention.

Good. It was waking up the baby and the gleeful attempt at extortion that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm loving sick and tired of their bullshit.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Make sure you actually do retain a lawyer, because I'm pretty sure they're liable for every single violation, and considering the amount of poo poo they've been tossing at you, you may be in for quite a payday.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposted from the legal questions thread and directed to try here:

I have a landlord/tenant/collections issue, in Hillsborough county, FL:

Here's the basics:

In ~2009-2010, I shared and apartment with 3 others. Myself and two others were on the lease, one of the other guys' girlfriend moves in about halfway through the time we lived there, we all split the rent. Early half of 2010, I move in with my fiance but continue to pay rent as normal at the apartment. We decide to part ways and end the lease at the end of August 2010, all pay our share of what is owed and go about our way. One of my former roommates dropped off the rest of our share of the bills and claims everything was paid in full. (For what it's worth I have no reason to distrust him although the possibility has entered my mind)

Fast forward to recently, I decide to check my credit only to see that there is a bill in collections in the amount of ~300 dollars to the collection agency Hunter Warfield. I contact the apartment company who inform me that there were "charges accrued on move out" and they were able to send me a copy of my move out statement with a balance of ~$150.00. Needless to say, this came out of left field as I've never been contacted in any form by the collections agency and the others on the lease also claim the same. I'm unsure of what the next step to take should be here. The money itself isn't a HUGE issue but I certainly don't want to pay any more than what I legally am required to pay. After doing some research it seems that the collections agency can charge interest, but only after a judgment and only up to 10% in FL? Where is this 300$ coming from and what do I do next? Am I screwed out on trying to get a verification because I was never contacted/they will claim they sent it to "my last known address" (being that apartment)?

I'm considering trying to convince the company to pull the account back from the agency and just pay them what was originally owed, and I am telling the others on the lease that they need to pay their share of it. One of them claims that he checked his credit as well and that he sees no charge on his, which I find hard to believe given all of our names were on the account. What is going on here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

So a continuation of this affair, I found out the debt I apparently owe is a revolving line of credit. The paperwork has me signed with a witness 5 years and a month ago. SOL for open-ended in Illinois is 5 years, but I'm reading SOL resets if I made a payment at any point after the initial signing.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

When was the last payment made?

I'm making some assumptions as we don't have the complete picture but it sounds like they may have you dead to rights on the debt. I would do whatever it takes to avoid the lawsuit/judgement/garnishment route. You might want to start thinking about payment plans or settlements.

Holy Wars Fistula
Mar 8, 2012

50 Foot Ant posted:

Good. It was waking up the baby and the gleeful attempt at extortion that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm loving sick and tired of their bullshit.

They're also violating the UDCPA per Oregon state law regarding debt collection practices. For starters, auto-dialer calls in Oregon--at least how I've seen things done--are taboo since the only time a debtor can be reached at their home (Celluar devices are in a grey area but an ethical agency doesn't have auto-dialer systems for cell phones in the first place since several states either prohibit leaving messages or cells cannot be called at all, like in Rhode Island) is during their non-working hours, which are defined being from 6pm-9pm.

If they tried reaching you at your workplace more than once a week, that's another violation. You've got a strong case from the sounds of it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Big post incoming, apologies in advance.

We're dealing with a collector trying to get a pretty minor debt - about $100 - that we think is based on a screw up by our ISP 3-4 years ago. Basically, when the ISP came to install the cable modem and start service, the tech couldn't get 3 different modems to work, so we ended up supplying our own. The tech scribbled what was supposed to say "customer refused hardware" or something, which is of course illegible on the copy of the installation form we have. We think the debt comes from them thinking we still have hardware of theirs from previous service, which we don't. We dealt with this a couple years ago, and actually went to one of the ISP's service centers to show the CSR there our janky old cable modem complete with hacked together power supply, to show that we were using our own equipment.

Anyway, fast forward to the end of last month when "Collection Bureau of America" sends the letter. My fiance called the collection agency (which I think was the wrong thing to do), and contrary to what the collection letter said (write them to dispute and ask them to provide proof, etc), the rep told us to talk to the ISP to figure out why there's a debt. Pretty obvious to me that they're just trying to get us to waste a few weeks making phone calls and not actually getting anything accomplished. I let her handle it, and she talked with the ISP about them sending verification to the agency that our accounts are in good standing. She called back tonight to verify that this happened, and apparently it never did.

A couple things about the letter were screwy, too. It was mailed to our previous address, at which we didn't even have service under our names at all. We had service from them at the address prior to that (when the failed installation happened), and we have service now at a new address. The current account is in good standing, the previous account was in good standing, and was cancelled when we moved. I can't remember if the equipment dispute happened at the time of cancellation, or later. Pretty sure that that was directly with the ISP, though.

The name on the letter is an approximate misspelling of my fiance's name, as well. First name is correct but one letter is wrong, and the last name is close but two letters at the end are wrong. The account number on the collection notice isn't showing up in the ISP's database, nor is the misspelled name, and her actual name and current and previous accounts are showing up as in good standing, current with payments.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope that helps lay out where my head's at. We can easily pay the debt, but I want to either a) prove that its bullshit and get rid of it once and for all, or b) just loving pay it and get rid of it once and for all. My fiance talked with 3 or 4 different collection department people at the ISP and gave up after getting no solid information after an hour, so I'm trying to push things towards a resolution and stop relying on the ISP for any help. We've been trying to get SOMETHING sent to us that verifies that our accounts are in good standing and we owe nothing.

This new letter is dated August 17th, but we didn't receive it until the 29th because of the old address, forwarding, etc. I'm putting together a DV letter (should have been sooner, I know), and don't know if I should go whole hog with the two page legalese example I found, or just stick with a short and sweet version like the OP posted. Does it make a difference? The long one I found is here.

If they come back with everything in order, I'm pretty much ready to just make it go away. So just to be sure, the proper line is "pay for delete" and not just getting it marked as paid, right? I see that mentioned when talking about big credit card debts and such, is that even an issue with one so comparatively small? Or is there some way we can get hosed over in the future by not specifically requesting that? It needs to be agreed on and sent to us in writing before payment is sent, of course.

Sorry again if I'm rambling, that's a lot of words for what I really feel should just be "pay the $100 instead of taking 5 years off our lives with the stress." If any of this is nonsensical I can try to clear it up. I'm trying to get on the best course of action so this is resolved once and for all.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 21, 2012

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Hey dudes,

I just wanna know:

I currently live in and am a citizen of PA, but was living in the state of NY when I defaulted on a Cap One credit card it was charged off and closed 04.05.2009, would I be under the statute of limitations for NY, or PA?

Futhermore, it is a debt of $965, and they have offered me a settlement of $675 with a credit report trade-line of Settled, with the remaining balance shown, or, I can pay the full balance and they will report it as paid in full. Can I get some guidance? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Wars Fistula
Mar 8, 2012

BusinessWallet posted:

Hey dudes,

I just wanna know:

I currently live in and am a citizen of PA, but was living in the state of NY when I defaulted on a Cap One credit card it was charged off and closed 04.05.2009, would I be under the statute of limitations for NY, or PA?

Futhermore, it is a debt of $965, and they have offered me a settlement of $675 with a credit report trade-line of Settled, with the remaining balance shown, or, I can pay the full balance and they will report it as paid in full. Can I get some guidance? Thanks!

The collector is supposed to follow the statute of limitations for the state you're currently residing in. It doesn't matter the source of where the transaction/loan occurred.

This means that they will, per PA law, ask for your consent to record the call. (There are also other stipulations but I don't have them off the top of my head.) If you don't agree to the consent, then they won't be able to continue the discussion. (if they play by the rules of course.)

I'd take the settlement offer. The settlement itself must be approved by the client (Cap One) before it can even be offered. If they said that they could do this right off the bat prior to asking you how you're going to pay (no asset questions), that means that Cap One has a pre-approved settlement rate that they will automatically accept without wasting time awaiting correspondence of an approval letter and, therefore, more time wasted on not resolving the matter of the debt.

This also means that the debt will not be reported negatively to your credit since you and Cap One are agreeing through the 3rd party collection agency that you will pay this certain amount to resolve the matter. Go with the settlement.

Holy Wars Fistula fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 23, 2012