Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Exploder posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome! I thought Les Stroud was done doing Survivorman. How did I not hear about this until now? Survivorman is the only survival show worth watching.

Totally agree with this. Last I read, he quit because he had a few really bad experiences that took a big toll on his body. I had a lot of respect for the guy hanging it up. Then I read that he's doing new episodes that are "upping the ante" because it's 10 days now.

Hopefully the environs are a little more forgiving. Go spend 10 days at Disney World or something and try not to lose your temper at crazy people. I'd watch that. Just don't go killing yourself please :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

change my name posted:

I love how they tested "if sharks stop moving, will they die?" by holding a shark in place and checking.

Also, they tested "Are all sharks alike?" by listing all the different varieties of sharks that anybody who graduated elementary school already knows about. Their conclusion? No, all sharks are not alike.

Yep.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Oh Todd Hoffman at it again. Lets take the crew to Guyana on a hunch and a prayer.

Edit: I did not see someone resurrected the other Gold Rush thread.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 18, 2012

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Survivorman is coming back? Cool, a reason to actually watch the Discovery channel :toot:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I got burned out on Dual Survivor, actually on survival shows in general but Survivorman coming back is good news and a new partner in Dual Survivor might renew my interest. I always liked Cody. Maybe the new person is Mykel Hawke, or better his wife, Ruth.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Best would be if they merged the shows and called it Dual Survivorman with Cody and Les

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Jusupov posted:

Best would be if they merged the shows and called it Dual Survivorman with Cody and Les

Yes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Survivorman just straight called out Bear Grylls.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

FogHelmut posted:

Survivorman just straight called out Bear Grylls.

That was great. I've been waiting for him to do that. "This man vs. wild stuff is garbage." Les Stroud, you are loving awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does anyone know when the rerun for the last ep of Survivor Man will be? Do the rerun the previous week the same night they give the new one?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

ToastyPotato posted:

Does anyone know when the rerun for the last ep of Survivor Man will be? Do the rerun the previous week the same night they give the new one?

They play the previous episode on Sunday before the new ep premieres.

Sack of Dicks
May 14, 2012

Just to be clear: Survivorman isn't back as a series. They're airing four specials, each consisting of two episodes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
That may be a bit unclear, better way to say it might be that it's two locations which get double episodes. So four episodes total. Tiburon Island part 1 and 2, and Norway Mountain part 1 and 2.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Alright, no comments after the 2nd episode of Norway so I'll chip in a bit. Coming from a place that has decent snowy winters that end up killing people in the exact same way every year or two, at the onset I figured this would be a different trip than his usual tropical/desert outings.

The first ep seemed pretty tame since he relied on the car quite a bit. But the conclusion was definitely more urgent and it didn't seem to have the coincidentals that the previous Island trip had (materials for the water still that some of you guys mentioned,etc). The fresh tracks leading up the hill to the lodge seemed like they'd be faded from wind, and honestly probably kept him in the game for the rest of it, but I dunno, the trip down was so rough I can't really pick at it too much.

Anyhow, it reminded me of one of the initial episodes where he was in Alaska and was faking a broken arm only to say "to hell with that, surviving normally is gunna be hard enough." Oh a lodge? Let me tell you that if you're about to die you're not going to get arrested for breaking in to a place. This house? Welp, here's a tip, everyone leaves a key. Dude was more than happy to not prove how good he could rough it by getting into legitimate shelter at any opportunity.

Best part, at least 3 digs on other survival shows, the best of which was "If I didn't find this, I might've been reduced to drinking my own pee. ... Yea right."

Stay awesome, Les!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I was also somewhat glad he didn't treat either the first two parter or this one with a series type sign off at the end. He did that in the last episode of the original run when he thought that was it. Maybe that means he'd be up for more 10 Day attempts for possible future seasons.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I thought it was great last night. Yeah he found a cottage but at the same time he had a more than difficult time.

The cool part was showing how to pull apart a car if you stuck and getting gasoline out of the tank which he used later.

Golden Mongoose
Oct 22, 2010
Nice to see Survivorman back, but sad that it is only 4 episodes :(

This last episode reminded me a lot of the James Kim story. Without the benefit of Les' survival training and knowledge of the area, that situation can become a choose your own adventure type scenario with no way of knowing which choices lead to the path of survival and which to death :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
I don't remember who it was but someone here mentioned they were enamored by the show "Too Cute" over at sister channel Animal Planet, so I thought I'd drop by and mention that there'll be a new season on Oct 13 at 8 PM.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There is a really cool show called Abandoned on NatGeo. Basically this guy explores abandoned buildings for stuff he can fix up and sell. He's not an annoying douchebag, there is no obnoxious music and no fake drama (no drama at all actually), just finding cool stuff. They are rerunning the first 6 episodes on Oct 3rd and of course recent episodes are on several time a week.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Been watching a load of the 'Sons of Guns' shows in the last few weeks. I think I have found my new dream job - 'Hmm, combining a shotgun with an M16 - No problem'

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Emnity posted:

Been watching a load of the 'Sons of Guns' shows in the last few weeks. I think I have found my new dream job - 'Hmm, combining a shotgun with an M16 - No problem'
I like this show, but Tanked on the Animal Planet is my new favorite, mainly because I always liked aquariums, plus I like seeing the poo poo they build. That church tank is insane.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Emnity posted:

It isn't as great as you might think it is. Mainly because you'll have to deal with customers that could double as people from that show.

I've been into guns for nearly 20 years, and there's a lot of reasons why I wouldn't want to work in a gun shop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Haven't the two latest episodes of Mythbusters screened in the US yet? Or were they just too boring for anyone else to comment on?

The one on how to best board an aeroplane had potential, god knows airports need every boost they can get, but it suffered from being inherently a boring subject to film. They did their best but watching people slowly walk onto a plane mockup is snooze inducing.

Although boarding times to get on a plane from the waiting lounge might be able to be improved by up to ten minutes, it's also still the smallest wait you have to endure in the whole 'getting on a plane' process. If the Mythbusters had figured out a way to get me from the front door of the airport to being in the air in under an hour, then I'd care.

Turning teeth into bullets was fun though. It was weird enough to distract from the build team.

The second episode on the A to Z of explosions was just tiring. I love to watch things blow up as much as the next person, but I also like a bit of context to it. Seeing a bit of C4 vanish into a cloud of dust is okay, but it's also nothing we haven't seen a million times before.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I don't believe the show comes back with new episodes for a week or two. Saw a commercial for those earlier today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Emnity posted:

Isn't that the show where it was revealed to be pretty fake-y? Like, none of the customers were actual customers?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't that the show where it was revealed to be pretty fake-y? Like, none of the customers were actual customers?

Almost none of the reality shows from the last several years are very real.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Yes, the most comically egregious example that deflated their credibility was having the ***CUTE DAUGHTER CHARACTER*** supposedly fire a stereotypical Desert Eagle .50 conspicuously out of frame, which gun nerds derisively identified as a 9mm handgun from the tiny part visible. This is the supposedly kind of thing that makes mind-numbingly asinine redneck careers telegenic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

This is the supposedly kind of thing that makes mind-numbingly asinine redneck careers telegenic.

Those rednecks should get a "real" job :smug: like doctor or computer programmer

Regardless of how much is real (very little) vs fake it's just a terrible show.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or were they just too boring for anyone else to comment on?

I deleted over half the shows this season without watching them because they sounded boring. Mythbusters has kinda run it's course as a weekly show. They should save up the best ones and just do a special every now and then while looking for a new series concept.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

wormil posted:

Those rednecks should get a "real" job :smug: like doctor or computer programmer

Regardless of how much is real (very little) vs fake it's just a terrible show.

I deleted over half the shows this season without watching them because they sounded boring. Mythbusters has kinda run it's course as a weekly show. They should save up the best ones and just do a special every now and then while looking for a new series concept.

The way they are aired, they basically are aired as specials, it feels.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

It's also a widely accepted fact the goods they produce are total loving garbage.

Apparently Family Guns on National Geographic isn't half bad. I just miss Tales of The Gun, back when the History Channel wasn't 50% Hicks Doin' Thangs and 50% Aliens Doin' Hicks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

It's also a widely accepted fact the goods they produce are total loving garbage.

Apparently Family Guns on National Geographic isn't half bad. I just miss Tales of The Gun, back when the History Channel wasn't 50% Hicks Doin' Thangs and 50% Aliens Doin' Hicks.
If half of the History Channel really was aliens having sex with rednecks, I would probably watch it for at least six hours a day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Family Guns is alright but there is still plenty of fake drama. The main guy could be a hired actor for the way he behaves. (Not saying he is)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

Yes, the most comically egregious example that deflated their credibility was having the ***CUTE DAUGHTER CHARACTER*** supposedly fire a stereotypical Desert Eagle .50 conspicuously out of frame, which gun nerds derisively identified as a 9mm handgun from the tiny part visible. This is the supposedly kind of thing that makes mind-numbingly asinine redneck careers telegenic.

Sometimes I leave that show on just to see how loving ridiculous it's going to get.

Highlights include them making some kind of shotgun mount for a motorcycle and building a loving technical to drive around the backwoods and machinegun things.

The daughter character is great because they only seem to know how to hit one note: "I AM A GIRL, PEOPLE THINK I DON'T KNOW ABOUT GUNS BUT I DO!" Every time.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
At no point would I say the quality of the viewing or the genuine nature of the program is to a high standard (it IS reality TV after-all) it still has some entertainment value because of the nature of the toys they are playing with.

There is no doubt the 'I have a daughter who knows a load about guns!' is a hook for some but dicking around with a Browning M2, rebuilding flame throwers, making remote controlled turrets for security forces? Aye I can roll with that poo poo for a while. I can't see it having a long life-span but in the short term it amuses me for 30 minutes a day.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This thermal man thing is the greatest.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That was a fairly decent Mythbusters.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Am I the only one who thought that Plane Crash last night was really interesting?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Am I the only one who thought that Plane Crash last night was really interesting?

I saw the title at a glance from the guide and thought it was a show about that old plane crash test footage so I didn't watch it. Then, while watching Mythbusters later that night, I realize I probably missed something cool. :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You did. They somehow got their hands on a modern airliner ready for the scrap heap and stuffed it with cameras and sensors and a radio control rig so that they could remotely pilot it into a deliberate crash landing. The footage was pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gooby on rails posted:

You did. They somehow got their hands on a modern airliner ready for the scrap heap and stuffed it with cameras and sensors and a radio control rig so that they could remotely pilot it into a deliberate crash landing. The footage was pretty amazing.

That plane was an older model that most airlines don't use anymore. Gizmodo had a big sperg-up about it http://gizmodo.com/5949223/what-can-we-learn-from-crashing-a-plane-on-purpose?popular=true

• Locked thread