Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just ordered XIII-2. Figure if the battle system is as fun as it was in XIII, it's probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

I just got XIII-2, but have never played XIII. Does anyone have a quick rundown of what happened in XIII so I'm slightly more updated on what the hell is going on?

Fal'cie are gods. L'cie are super powered humans. Cieth are crystal monsters. Fal'cie are given jobs by their creators. L'cie used to be normal but are given jobs by Fal'cie. Cieth are L'cie who failed their job. L'cie who do their jobs turn into crystal.

Cocoon is a globe floating over Gran Pulse. Each had their own Fal'cie and humans, but they had a fight. And now there's a chunk of Cocoon missing and the people of Pulse are dead.

Years later, Anti-Pulse feeling have risen amongst Cocoon. Anything thought to be connected to Pulse is round up and killed.

Serah became a Pulse L'cie. She was crystal for most of the first game. The main party of XIII didn't like that and decided to punch a Pulse Fal'cie. The Fal'cie didn't like that and decided to turn them into L'cie.

The protagonists of XIII then go on a grand adventure where they kill a couple more Fal'cie and eventually cause Cocoon to fall. But two of the main characters turn into crystals and stop Cocoon from hitting Pulse. Then everyone stopped being crystals and L'cie, why not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

Just ordered XIII-2. Figure if the battle system is as fun as it was in XIII, it's probably worth it.

It is and isn't. The combat system has improvements but the pacing is completely hosed, making it incredibly easy to outlevel the story. This leads to the improvements being hard to notice because you'll steamroll through a bunch of stuff. It's pretty disappointing, and this is from someone who really liked FFXIII's battle system.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

It is and isn't. The combat system has improvements but the pacing is completely hosed, making it incredibly easy to outlevel the story. This leads to the improvements being hard to notice because you'll steamroll through a bunch of stuff. It's pretty disappointing, and this is from someone who really liked FFXIII's battle system.

Additionally, the postgame content (and, arguably, even the final level/boss) is just as hosed in difficulty as all those hunts in XIII were. Gonna fight Gilgamesh? Hope you can deal a lot more than 1 million damage every time you stagger him, because that's how much he heals every time he comes out of it! :argh:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never really find much fun with postgame stuff anyway, so that's not much of a problem. Hopefully the pacing isn't too bad, but eh, worst case scenario that's $15 down the drain.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

MrAristocrates posted:

Additionally, the postgame content (and, arguably, even the final level/boss) is just as hosed in difficulty as all those hunts in XIII were. Gonna fight Gilgamesh? Hope you can deal a lot more than 1 million damage every time you stagger him, because that's how much he heals every time he comes out of it! :argh:

The point of the DLC is to be a challenge and to use the battle system to its fullest. This is kind of the answer to the main game being easy, so... difficulty! It's good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In other news, the iOS version of Final Fantasy Dimensions now has a concrete release date: August 31. This is one I've been looking forward to.

Dr Pepper posted:

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

This translation is a work in progress, of course, but it is still playable. A guy is showing off the game, using the latest translations as they're completed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azure_Horizon posted:

The point of the DLC is to be a challenge and to use the battle system to its fullest. This is kind of the answer to the main game being easy, so... difficulty! It's good.

Yeah I've got to say, that's kind of appealing to me that the extra bosses like Gilgamesh are built with you pretty much maxing out your characters in mind, that makes me more interested in the fights and how tough they are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr Pepper posted:

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

Oh hell yes. FF5 + Roguelike = Awesome.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I gotta say that I'm checking the TWEWY Teaser site every day, I'm way too excited for this. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/

I was just considering a few possibilities for the possible sequel:

1) A new cast. While the original was great, it would just be retreading ground. If the old cast does appear, give them the ability to see the UG and possibly aid players where possible.
2) Let you choose either of your players to battle with.
3) An expanded Shibuya. New Music. New Shops. New items.
4) Improved tin pin or a new minigame. I'm sure the Tin Pin trend has passed in Shibuya, time for something new. Maybe something to do with apps since everyone has phones in this world.
5) More Ramen. Ramen never goes out of style.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Andrew_1985 posted:

I gotta say that I'm checking the TWEWY Teaser site every day, I'm way too excited for this. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/

I was just considering a few possibilities for the possible sequel:

1) A new cast. While the original was great, it would just be retreading ground. If the old cast does appear, give them the ability to see the UG and possibly aid players where possible.
2) Let you choose either of your players to battle with.
3) An expanded Shibuya. New Music. New Shops. New items.
4) Improved tin pin or a new minigame. I'm sure the Tin Pin trend has passed in Shibuya, time for something new. Maybe something to do with apps since everyone has phones in this world.
5) More Ramen. Ramen never goes out of style.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn out like the worst expectations and is actually just a port. At this point, if it's not just a 3DS port, I'm happy. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but then again, look at what Squeenix has been like lately... FF7PC anyone?

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Pack it up guys, it's an iOS port :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-24-the-world-ends-with-you-coming-to-ios-later-this-year

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gently caress. Everything.

Forever.

No exceptions.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Nooooo....

But it is Square-Enix. They pretty much just churn out ports.

I have to admit, I am quite disappointed by this predictable turn of events.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm actually slightly amused at thinking how the hell it's supposed to work on iOS. The d-pad part would be a awful, as usual.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:suicide:

I hate everything right now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well that's anticlimactic... I look forward to Square's next pre-hype website where it seems like they're going to possibly try something new then it just be a port.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They've been doing that quite a bit, huh?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Told you guys it was nothing to get excited over. I learned my lesson years ago with SE. :eng101:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

In other news, the iOS version of Final Fantasy Dimensions now has a concrete release date: August 31. This is one I've been looking forward to.

This translation is a work in progress, of course, but it is still playable. A guy is showing off the game, using the latest translations as they're completed.
I really like the idea of a new FFIV/V style game, and I'll probably give it a go but my god is that art design bland as hell. We've got the technology to make games of this style really easily now, but you still need a LOT of imagination, creativity and talent to make it as engaging and memorable as the classics. I imagine this will just be a duller, less inspired version of the 16-bit FFs.

Then again, only time will tell and I'd love to be proven wrong.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This was the same team behind The After Years, which was also ugly as sin before the PSP release. That said, TAY was actually pretty fun, and I doubt this game's story will ruin any other FF games no matter how bad it is, so I'm somewhat excited for it.

Hopefully the Android version will come out soon after.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How would TWEWY even work with one screen, there's no way they can fit two screens onto the tiny iPhone screen

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Apparently there's more to the announcement than an iOS port. Could be TWEWY 2 on 3DS.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A single screen and touch only display would mean that the iOS version would be fundamentally different at least, but probably worse somehow because Square Enix.

If it's any good I hope the android version follows soon because playing things is so much more pleasant on my gnex than my itouch 4.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress iPhonez gimme TWEWY2.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Guys, like Chrono Trigger ds, this is an obvious test to see if there is "interest" in a sequel.

And much like Chrono Trigger ds this will likely fail to gain that interest. But anyone who wants a sequel should buy this when it drops. Speak with your money.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I fail to see the logic in assessing interest for a sequel by releasing an inferior version of a game most people interested in a sequel already have, especially on a platform completely unrelated to the one a sequel would most likely appear on.

Honestly guys, we don't really know anything about this yet, why don't we just wait for the countdown to tick down and see what it actually is, alright?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

I really like the idea of a new FFIV/V style game, and I'll probably give it a go but my god is that art design bland as hell. We've got the technology to make games of this style really easily now, but you still need a LOT of imagination, creativity and talent to make it as engaging and memorable as the classics. I imagine this will just be a duller, less inspired version of the 16-bit FFs.

Then again, only time will tell and I'd love to be proven wrong.

Mega64 posted:

This was the same team behind The After Years, which was also ugly as sin before the PSP release. That said, TAY was actually pretty fun, and I doubt this game's story will ruin any other FF games no matter how bad it is, so I'm somewhat excited for it.

Hopefully the Android version will come out soon after.

It looks like the screenshots we saw earlier were from an incomplete build of the game that was still using placeholder graphics; newer ones reveal more consistent visuals, in English and everything. It's still not especially interesting-looking, of course.

Matrix Software originally developed this game after 4 Heroes of Light, which was at any rate a significant improvement over TAY, which appears to have been their first ostensibly original RPG.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I fail to see the logic in assessing interest for a sequel by releasing an inferior version of a game most people interested in a sequel already have, especially on a platform completely unrelated to the one a sequel would most likely appear on.

And that's why you don't work for Square-Enix.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking of confusing and disappointing iOS-related decisions made by Square Enix, it seems that Final Fantasy Dimensions will cost $30 in total, making it the most expensive game they've released on the platform to date and their most expensive digital release on any platform, unless you count all the FFXIII-2 DLC. They're charging as much for a single chapter of Final Fantasy Dimensions, in fact, as they are for Chrono Trigger.

Some games are worth paying a premium for, and I was even looking forward to this one, but I just can't imagine what they're thinking with this.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 24, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Himuro posted:

Guys, like Chrono Trigger ds, this is an obvious test to see if there is "interest" in a sequel.

And much like Chrono Trigger ds this will likely fail to gain that interest. But anyone who wants a sequel should buy this when it drops. Speak with your money.

I'll speak with my money when I see a Kickstarter for TWEWY 2. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

Oh hell yes. FF5 + Roguelike = Awesome.

It is.

It's a bit like the 4JF in that it's about working with what you got, which produces some amusing things. Like how in my current playthrough a Ranger with the Hayate Bow is the best thing I have right now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of confusing and disappointing iOS-related decisions made by Square Enix, it seems that Final Fantasy Dimensions will cost $30 in total, making it the most expensive game they've released on the platform to date and their most expensive digital release on any platform, unless you count all the FFXIII-2 DLC. They're charging as much for a single chapter of Final Fantasy Dimensions, in fact, as they are for Chrono Trigger.

Some games are worth paying a premium for, and I was even looking forward to this one, but I just can't imagine what they're thinking with this.

30 bucks for an iOS game? Square Enix...

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Tempo 119 posted:

13-4 is about Old Lightning

I would enjoy this concept if only to see how many nerdy Japanese game developers heads would explode trying to grasp the concept of a over 25 fiftysomething year old woman in a game. Even Parasite Eve dodged that in a stupid way.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And she'd better look like this too. :colbert:

With Odin as a mobilty scooter.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 24, 2012

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
So going back to FF5 chat I decided to try for another fiesta round after getting one of the most piss-easy job configurations I've ever heard of (White Mage, 2 Mystic Knights and a Hunter)

Hoping for a challenge I decided to try again and ended up with a Time Mage, Black Mage, White Mage and a Mystic Knight. I'll just go ahead and put on this blindfold for the rest of the game now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I'm sure they won't do something terrible like charge as much as they would for the DS version when this is released because Square Enix would never charge $30 for an iOS game. :psyboom:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I basically posted the same thing in the android games thread. Isn't it the most expensive iOS /Android game so far? It doesn't look nearly good enough to justify it. And at that price, the low bar for quality here is VERY HIGH. Maybe their expensive mobile games are doing well because profit margins are so high, even if so few people buy them?

If they are doing well, that is...

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 25, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

What the poo poo, I'd actually consider shelling out $30 for a quality retro RPG by SE in the tradition of their older stuff, but with those loving graphics they've got to be kidding us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
That's some bad news about Dimensions, I was excited for it... I guess I'll have to wait and see if people decide it's worth the price.

For those that signed up for the Fiesta and haven't yet finished, you have until the 31st to finish and be officially counted! Don't forget about the awesome guide that everyone worked on if you are stuck!