Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Any tips for Asura's Wrath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
I'm curious: What are your tips that you would give a beginner coming to Peggle? I recently re-picked it up, and wanted to see what everyone's little tricks are for it.

- Wait for the bucket to be closer to the side you're firing at, it's more likely to follow the path of the ball around the level, unless you're aiming for that one peg and that's all you want to hit, then you want to anticipate the bucket.

- Zen Ball kicks rear end, but it doesn't mean it's the best choice for the level. Some other favorites of mine are the Pumpkin twice-thru the level thing, or the Space Blast (especially when they are close enough to blow each other up).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I recently got Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition. Is there any good source of guides or things I should generally know about this game? I've played a bit of Civ IV and SMAC if that helps give me some grounding.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Any tips for Zeno Clash? The weird first person fighting mechanics are messing me up, but the story is so strange and enjoyable I keep banging my head against it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SkySteak posted:

I recently got Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition. Is there any good source of guides or things I should generally know about this game? I've played a bit of Civ IV and SMAC if that helps give me some grounding.

The AI is smart. You mass up enemies on their border? They'll be doing the same. You are allying with everyone but them? They know it, and will do what they can to turn your enemies against you. You're mining up a storm? Watch for sneak attacks on your belts where you least expect it.

Remember the enemy personalities when dealing with them. The Drengin will never be your friend.

Be careful when attacking enemy planets. Often you'll just see the one ship guarding it-but that could be just one ship of an entire stack of bad asses. Make sure you have a sizable force ready.

Build your own ships. Look at what your enemies are using and build ships to counter that. If they have all shields, get the ballistics. Strong hulls, lasers, etc. Its much cheaper and effective to custom build a ship that has no stats other than to counter the enemies. You'll find battles go more your way when your low level heavy shield/high missile ship takes out their more expensive laser/shield ships.

Keep in mind, they will catch on after a bit, so be sure to explore all tech trees at least to a point so you can build stuff.

Miniaturization is KEY to building better ships.

Make sure you develop every plot possible and build bonus structures on the bonus squares. Makes a huge difference.

In the beginning explore as much as possible. The anomalies you find can be key to getting you a leg up on the competition. You'll notice the AI has absolutely no problem walking into your undefended early sectors and taking your anomalies. (Think villages in Civ)

Building starbases at choke points or near resource rich areas can be key between losing to a few mean docking starships and beating back an enemy assault.

Keep an eye on your science. As you go further it goes faster and can be possible to get a few 1-2 turn civic boosts that can really help productivity.

In that vein-remember you need certain terraforming for certain planets. They are expensive and time consuming. Be sure you really want that planet before going down that tree.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OldTennisCourt posted:

Any tips for Asura's Wrath?

There aren't really any tips for the game, as it's almost QTEs, but here we go:

- Almost all the battles in the game aren't to kill your opponents - they're to fill up your rage meter or whatever it's called. Once you fill that up, the battle usually ends.

- You aren't required to complete any of the QTEs. All they give you is a better rank. I think a good rank unlocks a secret ending, but the game still ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Fun!

- Just enjoy the ride. It's a crazy action-filled movie with some minor gameplay elements.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Any tips for Zeno Clash? The weird first person fighting mechanics are messing me up, but the story is so strange and enjoyable I keep banging my head against it.
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, footwork and strafing is important. If you hold still and block, you're going to get pummeled. Blocking is important, of course, but so is not getting hit.

It's better to not hit, and not get hit, than it is to hit and get hit.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Herobotic posted:

I'm curious: What are your tips that you would give a beginner coming to Peggle? I recently re-picked it up, and wanted to see what everyone's little tricks are for it.

- Wait for the bucket to be closer to the side you're firing at, it's more likely to follow the path of the ball around the level, unless you're aiming for that one peg and that's all you want to hit, then you want to anticipate the bucket.

- Zen Ball kicks rear end, but it doesn't mean it's the best choice for the level. Some other favorites of mine are the Pumpkin twice-thru the level thing, or the Space Blast (especially when they are close enough to blow each other up).

There's not much more than blind luck after the first 2-3 bounces, so practice a little bit with the guide (unicorn helper) first to get a feel for that first ricochet.

Different levels will need different helpers, but for some of the points challenges, you'll probably need the magic rabbit and hope that you hit the triple points on the first ball.

When aiming for a single peg near the bottom, try aiming just off to the side, shaving the peg, and wait for the bucket to go underneath as if you were going to miss it, so if you do, you get a free ball.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Against my better judgment, I'm finally trying out Rune Factory Frontier since I've had it from Gamefly for like three weeks. Gimme all ya got.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cryohazard posted:

Dungeons and Dungeons: The Dark Lord.

I've played about an hour and a half and am thoroughly unimpressed by how not Dungeon Keeper it is, is there anything I should know that makes persisting with them worthwhile?

I'm 2 days late to reply to this, but no, Dungeons has absolutely no redeeming qualities. God help you if you spent actual money on them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Given that Dark Souls hits Steam in a day, do console goons have anything to add to what's in the wiki page?

Varrack_85
Nov 10, 2004

Lizard Bastard posted:

Against my better judgment, I'm finally trying out Rune Factory Frontier since I've had it from Gamefly for like three weeks. Gimme all ya got.

Get a silver wolf (transport animal) from the fin on Whale Island early. It will make traveling to your dungeon fields faster, which is where you'll be growing the majority of your "longer than a season" flowers.

Likewise, get those flowers going sooner rather than later; worst case scenario you'll be looking at over 120 days to get emery flowers, needed for high-end equipment--although you can beat the main story and get married without that stuff. But if you want to beat the optional bosses, you'll need the high-end equipment.

You have to beat the Green Ruins before the Lava Ruins before the Snow Ruins; there are a few events that require you to visit Whale Island to unlock story progression but by and large you'll be working through the Ruins on your way to beat the main story.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Got a quick question about Borderlands:
I'm a little bit past New Haven on my way to Krom...

There's a whole bunch of side areas I feel like I'm skipping, if I do all the side quests on the Bounty Boards will it eventually take me through them all or can I miss out on things by not exploring myself?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

NihilCredo posted:

Given that Dark Souls hits Steam in a day, do console goons have anything to add to what's in the wiki page?

Two things off the top of my head:

- If you find an item called "Fire Keeper Soul" hang onto it. You can technically use it on yourself to gain some humanity and be healed to full but that is a huge waste of the item. You can use it in another, more permanent way to give your character (more specifically, one of your items that you use all the time) a boost.

- If you find an item called "Titanite Slab" or "*color* Titanite Slab" think hard on using it to upgrade your equipment. Most or all other crafting ingredients can be farmed if you know where to look, but slabs are so rare there is effectively a finite amount per playthrough.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

VodeAndreas posted:

There's a whole bunch of side areas I feel like I'm skipping, if I do all the side quests on the Bounty Boards will it eventually take me through them all or can I miss out on things by not exploring myself?

Side quests will take you through most side areas, with the exception of arenas (which are just simple PvP areas that cannot even be entered solo). The only place most people miss is the second branch in Crazy Earl's Scrapyard: the main quest takes you through half, but you have to walk a fair pace into the other half unprompted to find the Claptrap that asks you to traipse through the rest (although you can skip it by climbing up some garbage and grabbing the repair kit and a loot chest straight away).

The same goes for DLC areas. Claptrap is good about alerting you to new missions in all cases, so don't sweat missing them.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Any words of wisdom for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops? I checked the wiki but could not find anything.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Male Man posted:

Side quests will take you through most side areas, with the exception of arenas (which are just simple PvP areas that cannot even be entered solo). The only place most people miss is the second branch in Crazy Earl's Scrapyard: the main quest takes you through half, but you have to walk a fair pace into the other half unprompted to find the Claptrap that asks you to traipse through the rest (although you can skip it by climbing up some garbage and grabbing the repair kit and a loot chest straight away).

The same goes for DLC areas. Claptrap is good about alerting you to new missions in all cases, so don't sweat missing them.

Thanks!

I had been wondering about the other half of the scrapyard but hadn't gone through in case I'd be sent in there in the next mission or whatever anyway and did it twice for no reason.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

NihilCredo posted:

Pyro is the easiest class to start with.

Always block.

Don't make a move until you're sure it'll hit; wait for an opening and then attack.

Be cautious.

When you collect an item it stays with you after you die, so you can make suicide runs.

The first two bosses are made easier by the jumping attack - jump off a ledge and press attack.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

VodeAndreas posted:

Is single player Borderlands worthwhile or fun? I'd like to play it but my Internet sucks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Is single player Borderlands worthwhile or fun? I'd like to play it but my Internet sucks.

I'm enjoying it, got a nice art style, decent combat and a good range of weapons to mess around with.

Don't know how far through I am at the moment but it's definitely worth playing and I haven't come across any major hurdles yet.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Count Chocula posted:

Just don't play as Brick and you'll be fine.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am about to play Mass Effect 3 for the first time. I had multiple Mass Effect 2 playthroughs, and the one I was going to use as my canon playthrough I removed the scars from them that you get from being evil/good. I am transferring my 360 save to my PC so will it be as easy as trial and error to see which character has no scars to find the right save game?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

VodeAndreas posted:

Don't know how far through I am at the moment but it's definitely worth playing and I haven't come across any major hurdles yet.

You may be singing a different tune when you encounter the Capra Demon. This is the game's real first road block. Use this guide if you find yourself having issues with him.

It's a fantastic game. Once I get some extra money I'll be grabbing the PC edition because I hate myself.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

fuckpot posted:

I am about to play Mass Effect 3 for the first time. I had multiple Mass Effect 2 playthroughs, and the one I was going to use as my canon playthrough I removed the scars from them that you get from being evil/good. I am transferring my 360 save to my PC so will it be as easy as trial and error to see which character has no scars to find the right save game?
The scars aren't visible in the import-character-preview screen. However, you do get a bullet-point rundown of your accomplishments (e.g. killed Wrex, replaced the Council) and sexual history, as well as your character class and alignment. If you've already figured out the 360-to-PC transfer process then you shouldn't have any trouble selecting the appropriate save file.

Note that the game assumes that your scars were healed during the ME2-to-ME3 downtime, but they'll reappear if you play ME3 badassfully.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
What should I know about Max Payne 3 before I start playing this game. I have played Max Payne 1 & 2.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

You may be singing a different tune when you encounter the Capra Demon. This is the game's real first road block. Use this guide if you find yourself having issues with him.

It's a fantastic game. Once I get some extra money I'll be grabbing the PC edition because I hate myself.

Wrong game :v:

But from Geop's LP of the game Dark Souls does definitely look like a buy, especially as someone at Neogaf may have already cracked the resolution issue. (Was mentioned in the Steam thread, don't think he's released a tool for it though)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

:doh:

Sorry about that, VodeAndreas.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Idiootti posted:

What should I know about Max Payne 3 before I start playing this game. I have played Max Payne 1 & 2.

You can't really play it like Max Payne 1 and 2. It's a cover shooter, Max moves slower, and slow-dive is mostly useless because hitting any object in a dive breaks it and Max takes a while to stand up. Take cover and use regular bullet time for maximum effect.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Any advice for Europa Universalis III Chronicles? (all DLC except for sprite packs). Any mods worth using also? I checked the wiki but there were only about 4 tips there and I heard it's a pretty complex game.

Nova69 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 24, 2012

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
You should look at the fantastic Paradoxian Wiki to learn about the game.http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Main_Page

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Nova88 posted:

Any advice for Europa Universalis III Chronicles? (all DLC except for sprite packs). Any mods worth using also? I checked the wiki but there were only about 4 tips there and I heard it's a pretty complex game.

It's a very sandboxy game, you'll have the most fun if you just set up your own insane goals, and just generally try to contribute to creating a world gone mad.

The wiki is an excellent source, but here's a lowdown on the most important mechanisms to grok:

Reputation (badboy score):
If you go on an outright expansionist land-grab campaign, every other country will hate you for a long time, and try to stomp you down. It's possible to pull of in certain situations, but I personally don't find it a fun way to play the game.

Diplomacy & alliances:
Alliances and pacts tend to come and go, having an actual standing army is always respected.

Casus Belli:
Before you declare a war on a target, you'll need a valid (in middle-ages terms) reason, called Casus Belli. Otherwise everyone, including your own people, will hate you for a long time and try to stomp you down. Fabricating one out of thin air is fair game, the manual and tutorials have the specifics.

Battles & Sieges:
Having more dudes, full morale and a general will usually win. When you take a province with a fort, use the 'leave detachment' button to leave enough dudes to maintain the siege, the fort will give up eventually. Note that cavalry is useless in a siege, while artillery is (obviously) good. Assaulting is a great way to get an army decimated, use only when it's really a double or quits scenario.

Economy & inflation:
Your cash (ducats) come from taxes each month, and a bigger pot at the end of each year. At times of war, war taxes can also be levied. Try to make ends meet with tax money, since it comes without hidden costs.

Another alternative is taking international loan. You'll have to pay back with interest, so before taking a loan you should make sure your investment is worth it. Also note that if at any moment you run out of ducats, the game will automatically and immediately take a loan for you. Keep some extra cash in bank to avoid this.

Third option is directly minting money by moving the relevant slider in the treasury(?) screen. This is the prime cause of inflation, and your current inflation score will directly increase the cost of everything you pay with ducats. Especially in the early centuries, it's very hard to push inflation down once you've got some, so try to avoid it before you have a better feel of how the economy model works.

Advisors of the court:
Get some that correspond your needs, they are worth it. A good Master of Mint is especially useful, freeing you to mint some extra ducats without racking up inflation.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

StoryTime posted:

Advisors of the court:
Get some that correspond your needs, they are worth it. A good Master of Mint is especially useful, freeing you to mint some extra ducats without racking up inflation.

Also make sure to count the number of stars they have beside their names. If they have more than 5 stars grab no matter if you don't want it.

You should also know that if you don't choose to hire someone then after a year they will become hire able to everyone else. You will get paid by other nations so it's a nice bonus.
Every october new advisors will appear, make sure you pause as the AI will start getting all the good ones.

DO NOT PLAY ANY NEW WORLD NATIONS LIKE INCA or Middle/south African nations/tribes. They only exists to be annexed by other nations. Their tech speed is far too slow and they have no real units that can fight back.

Never fight a land war in France. They are the USSR of EU3. They have a lot of Manpower and can afford to spend years fighting you. Before they were nerfed it was very common to have France conquering most of Eurasia and was considered to be the "Final Boss" of this game.

Never fight a Naval War with England. They got a fuckton of ships and their not afraid to use it.
Pirates will start appearing once you learned how to do blockades. You should start patrolling the coastlines unless you want pirates spawning everywhere. You can also leave your ships in dock and it will still act like it's patrolling the coastline within 3 sea provinces from it's dock.

If you are going to start colonizing, then aim for these 5 areas:
Caribbean (some high value tradegoods will be here.)
South/central America (Lots of gold provinces that will fill you coffers up but gives you some inflation as well.)
South Africa (A springboard to Asia. That's it's only use.)
India (doesn't matter where you land your gonna get rich either way.)
and lastly Indonesia (Plenty of Spices and rare tradegoods not found anywhere else. Those who settle here first is going to rake in the cash and become very powerful.)

You will start getting National Ideas. You should think long term with this as it's very costly to change them. If you are surrounded by nations who aren't part of your religion then choose Unam Sanctum(sp?). That will give you a Holy War CB on anyone who isn't your religion. Make sure to use it before 1650 as Holy Wars no longer work after that. If you are surrounded by water then it's best to choose |Naval training or Press gangs to either improve your admirals or get ships faster.

You will also see that your sliders are based on many parts of society and focus. I hear that going pure Innovative will allow you to get tech very fast at a cost of never being able to convert provinces. likewise going full Narrow-minded will give you a lot of missionary's but will destroy your tech speed. Learn what each one does and determine what is best for your nation.

You don't have to play it like a game! You can also Role-play as a King/Queen and act accordingly. You want to be like Queen Mary of Scots AKA Bloody Mary? Go ahead! You can't marry as heirs just pop from thin air so no wife or husband will be around. You can only have one heir so it doesn't matter. Royal marriages are only useful if you want to annex someone without war. I don't use it as I feel it's pointless and it's very rare to annex through marriage anyway.

If you got plat then I can give more information by PM.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 24, 2012

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Thanks!
The link to the wiki and your knowledge is much appreciated

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Any tips for Guild 2 Renaissance? Finally installed it and have no idea what to do. Apparently the rogue can...pickpocket and that's his main income?

I did read the manual. Still clueless.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

al-azad posted:

You can't really play it like Max Payne 1 and 2. It's a cover shooter, Max moves slower, and slow-dive is mostly useless because hitting any object in a dive breaks it and Max takes a while to stand up. Take cover and use regular bullet time for maximum effect.

This is all kinds of wrong. Only use cover when reloading or if you need more bullettime (getting shot at refills it, even while in cover). Move move move while shooting - the enemies are crack shots when you are still and in cover but as soon as you move they start missing! Max IS slower which means that timing is everything! You don't need bullettime to shoot-dodge so ABUSE THE HELL OUT OF IT. Just make sure to aim for cover when you jump as any remaining enemies will tear you to shreds otherwise. Armored enemies take forever to kill if you shoot them in the chest - aim for the head or groin! Some very annoying areas are actually "skippable" as in you don't have to kill everyone to proceed. Now, for the biggest tip;

You can use the cover button after shoot-dodging! If you are close enough, Max will crawl to cover position himself behind it. This is insanely useful.

Again; MOVE, use shoot-dodge as much as possible, and only use cover when you absolutely have to. The final boss was HELL when I tried to play the game as a cover shooter, but now I can beat him on my first try every time by abusing shoot-dodge and the cover button. Shoot-dodge, cover, shoot-dodge, cover etc.

DON'T play the game as a cover shooter - it's much more enjoyable if you take risks and do some crazy poo poo, just like the other games!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Move move move while shooting - the enemies are crack shots when you are still and in cover but as soon as you move they start missing!

This wasn't my experience at all. The stadium was a huge wake up call when every enemy with an automatic weapon has dead accuracy and will hit you across the map no matter where you were. Better to dive into cover, pop out in bullet time, and end the fight with a few well placed headshots. Whatever method works for you, go ahead and use it, but I never had an easy time jumping around and moving into fire.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

NihilCredo posted:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT play this game vanilla on PC.

First, download the newest version of DSFix, available at http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/ . This is one of those PC ports that refuses to take advantage of any resolution above 720p, so this will fix that.

Second, this port has no tutorial prompts for even the default PC input, and if you want to use mouse for camera, too bad, because mouse camera moves at constant speed no matter how fast you move the mouse. So use a gamepad. If you have a 360 controller, use that, since all the button icons are for the 360 pad anyway. If you have a non-360 gamepad, download x260ce from http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/ . The game has spotty support for other gamepads, and this will fix that.

With those two fixes (insofar as "use a gamepad" could be considered a fix) applied, the port plays magnificently. However, some users have reported slowdown when viewing particle effects. I haven't seen this yet, but I'm not very far into the game.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks for the tips on Max Payne 3. I've been playing it like a cover shooter, but I'm gonna try moving more. I didn't know that you can crawl to cover, so that should help.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Dust: An Elysian Tail;
  • Play on Tough or harder - Normal is incredibly boring and easy.
  • Learn how to parry (hold X when your opponent is about to hit you), as it stuns your opponent and it makes fighting the big guys really easy.
  • There's a pair of achievements that you're only supposed to get one of in a playthrough, so if you want to 100% it keep a save before you decide whether to use poison ivy in a sidequest or not. Do it for one, leave without doing it for the other.
  • If you find a material that the store doesn't stock yet, sell it to them even if it's your only one. They'll restock it fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Morpheus posted:

There aren't really any tips for the game, as it's almost QTEs, but here we go:

- Almost all the battles in the game aren't to kill your opponents - they're to fill up your rage meter or whatever it's called. Once you fill that up, the battle usually ends.

- You aren't required to complete any of the QTEs. All they give you is a better rank. I think a good rank unlocks a secret ending, but the game still ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Fun!

- Just enjoy the ride. It's a crazy action-filled movie with some minor gameplay elements.

I think this is in the thread somewhere but you need a certain number of S ranks in missions to unlock the game's "real" ending, which is actually just a buildup to the game's epilogue DLC. This isn't too hard and can definitely be pulled off in your initial playthrough if you're good at QTEs, otherwise it might take a little muscle memory.