Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Regency architecture!!! :argh:

Bloom IRL on a sunny day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

You at Full Fat? Was easy for me to find since it was the only building that could have a 15th floor, so figure that's the only place that could have been taken.

Yep. drat, sleuthed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I remember parking on that abandoned garage. We couldn't park on the bottom because cement from the top floor would fall down. The gaps were so big you could fall through it. Also, showed up one weekend during crunch and saw the most horrifying thing happening in the stair well between two homeless people. Ugh.

That was before the parking lot to the east. Crazy seeing those trees so tall.

Yeah, the hobos still hang about around there. Mostly under the foliage cover towards the back.

That parking lot is where we park now, but it's a magnet for theivery. The cops just arrested a guy Tuesday who had hit about half a dozen of our people's cars, smashing the windows and pinching after-market stereos.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Never mind.

SnafuAl fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 24, 2012

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

djkillingspree posted:

HEY CAN I COME IN I WANNA PLAY YOUR GAME HEY HEY LEMME IN

Seriously, seagulls are the most annoying birds on the planet.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Did you apply to us btw?

Not yet, something else has come up that I'm prolly gonna get involved with.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

waffledoodle posted:

Up in good ol' Austin hill country, around the corner from Vigil actually.

i lived south of town off 290/Mopac, man I loved the drive to work up 360 even if it was 20 miles and could sometimes take forever

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I am seven minutes walk from my office. £350 a month rent has it's benefits :p

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Aliginge posted:

I am seven minutes walk from my office. £350 a month rent has it's benefits :p

I can see my building from my porch. I live across the street.

I filled my car twice in the past year :unsmigghh:

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Smegbot posted:

Seriously, seagulls are the most annoying birds on the planet.

I kind of like them but they can be annoying ya ><

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

treeboy posted:

i lived south of town off 290/Mopac, man I loved the drive to work up 360 even if it was 20 miles and could sometimes take forever

Yup, I was living in Barton Springs when I started here, and I used to tell people "I love the drive, but I hate the commute." Now I drive down FM620 every day and I tell people the opposite.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MY WINDOW.

The power of the Irvine Spectrum.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

rope kid posted:

MY WINDOW.

I know that area well enough that I now know enough to find your window.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Man I remember back in the day when I had a window office. Or an office, for that matter. Those were the good old days. Cubes/open formats are lame. Good for collaboration, but lame.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I have a corner of a building and half a tree outside my window. And rain. Lots of goddamn rain. "Great British Summer" my arse.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

rope kid posted:

MY WINDOW.

I probably work like 5 minutes away from you, I have a very similar street view.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
We're tucked way in the back of one of the Irvine Company office lots, so we don't have cool views, artificially sculpted or otherwise.

We did have Coyotes in the parking lot a few weeks ago though :v:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Sigma-X posted:

We're tucked way in the back of one of the Irvine Company office lots, so we don't have cool views, artificially sculpted or otherwise.

We did have Coyotes in the parking lot a few weeks ago though :v:

We had Operation Bobcat: a Drama in 3 Acts a while back. First, employees discovered bobcat babies, the bobcat mother got legitimately pissed and nearly ate someone, and then Animal Control was called and they were allowed to leave.

Of course, that didn't stop us from taking pictures (pictures from a more talented coworker). There's a surprising amount of animal life given how sterilized and treated everything is here.

http://imgur.com/a/fiaqc

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Looking at Irvine Spectrum stuff now, there's like 4 gaming companies there? Are you guys literally inside the mall or just nearby? Weird.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

mutata posted:

That parking lot is where we park now, but it's a magnet for theivery. The cops just arrested a guy Tuesday who had hit about half a dozen of our people's cars, smashing the windows and pinching after-market stereos.

At least they're not just senselessly slashing people's tires.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cgeq posted:

At least they're not just senselessly slashing people's tires.

No, that was a couple years ago. They caught that guy too.

Also, the Spectrum shopping center is surrounded on a couple sides by tallish office buildings. And apartments. And the Blizzard complex is down the road.

Edit: It's also nestled snugly in the crotch of the 5 and 405 freeways.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 25, 2012

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.
The view out my window as of today:

It's stirringly beautiful. I still get goosebumps every time I look outside.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

wasabimilkshake posted:

The view out my window as of today:

It's stirringly beautiful. I still get goosebumps every time I look outside.

I'm imagining an episode of Storage Wars going on out there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

So if anyone hasn't seen it yet, there's a new goon game project that's come out of the amazing E/N comics thread
Goon game thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503354
E/N comics thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499406

They're making a Mugen fighting game featuring people who post in E/N. It looks way better than you would think of a project spawned from a thread about drawing comics making fun of crazy people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUBwrKNiVg

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

icking fudiot posted:

Looking at Irvine Spectrum stuff now, there's like 4 gaming companies there? Are you guys literally inside the mall or just nearby? Weird.
Obsidian is right across from the Cheesecake Factory, not in the mall itself. We're in the Smile Brands building. Blizzard is only a few miles away. I pass it on the way to work when I commute by bike.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

rope kid posted:

Obsidian is right across from the Cheesecake Factory, not in the mall itself. We're in the Smile Brands building. Blizzard is only a few miles away. I pass it on the way to work when I commute by bike.

Red 5 and Turtle Rock are pretty close, too, and Carbine is a couple exits down on the freeway.

Lots of bunnies around Irvine, too. Blizzard campus has quite a few of them late at night.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
My window has naught but a fantastic view of a grill.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Shalinor posted:

My window has naught but a fantastic view of a grill.

That looks like a great way to make lunch though.

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Monster w21 Faces posted:

PROTIP: don't edit UTPawn when creating a game in UDK, create your own class extension or you'll NEVER loving REMEMBER what you've changed.

*slaps self*

This is why it's a good idea to use source-control. Also, if you're going to change the files that come with an engine, it's generally a good idea to bracket every change with comments, so you know exactly what changed and why.

Of course, as you say, if you can avoid it, it's best to avoid changing the base files that come with the engine. Sometime's it's unavoidable though, due to the way the Unreal codebase is structured.

Obviously all this stuff is more up-front effort, but it pays off down the road because you save more time in the long run.

Now that you're in this predicament though, assuming you have enough hard-drive space to install a pristine copy of UDK, I'd just use a diff/merge program to see what you've changed. Perforce comes with a free one that will do the job.

Smegbot posted:

I think I've posted this before, but this was the view from my desk (until a fortnight ago):

For some reason I was under the impression that 4J had moved into the Vision building that was built down below. I feel your pain, that office was hell in the summer. (I used to work there when it was VIS Dundee)

That said, it might be less hellish with less bodies and computers in there, and TVs of the non-CRT variety.

The Oid fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 27, 2012

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I shouldn't be ranting about this on a forum full of Internet strangers, but I have to vent somewhere or I'm going to explode.

I have a programmer colleague coworker. I've mentioned this coworker before -- the guy smells of sweat and humidity, has supposedly been admonished by HR about it, but still loving stinks like a hobo. We've been ramping up into crunch time lately, I came in on a Saturday, and his "payload range" that day was up to something like 15 metres. More than the distance between our desks. Unlike every other time where I usually only have to abide the stench when he just walks past my desk to go elsewhere, I smelled this reek all day long, no matter how much Febreze I sprayed around. After months of being forced to work daily with this complete social ignoramus, I don't even bother being discreet when spraying said Febreze. Clearly it's a lost cause.

If it wasn't enough, this guy is the worst programmer I've had the displeasure of working with during my short career (not counting engineering school). He has little to no initiative, constantly bouncing back to our lead asking "What do I do next?". Keeps coming up with choice little snippets like, "Oh, this should be working... But it doesn't! What should I do!?" or "I'm going to recompile, that should fix it."

The guy seems to have a mental capacity of exactly 1 system, and I'm not even sure about that much. For our port project, we assigned him to a part of the UI that's self-contained but should require regular development and maintenance during the project. Incidentally, it's something that no one else wanted to work on, so I guess there's a slight upside to having him to work on that.

Except that dealing with a AAA project's UI framework is obviously overtaxing his limited mental capacity, because he frequently manages to break completely unrelated components. Hell, even that one UI component he's working on is clearly too much for him. I went in for work today, synced up code and data to the changes I'd missed over the last few days, and noticed he'd introduced two new functionalities to his UI component. Very minor things -- the ability to unequip an item, and highlighting an item in the inventory after interacting with it.

Except that when you unequip an item, the character's body part where that item was equipped turns invisible. And after interacting with an item, the UI highlights the wrong item.

How do you submit trivial stuff like that, without even realising that your initial submit doesn't even loving work? I had other things to work on, so I just facepalmed and moved on, but I just know this is going to get caught by QA, bounced right back on our bug tracker, and inevitably will fall on other programmers to fix it. I haven't been through the exercise because it'd likely be utterly depressing, but I'm certain that if I were to count the outstanding bugs in our tracker, more than half of them would be related to his "work".

And to top it all off, he's decided to take a vacation week right now, just as everyone is getting into crunch time. Except that with everything mentioned above, the reaction from the rest of us programmers is just one of utter relief -- one week without having to constantly breathe through the mouth, without having to plow through cans of Febreze, and maybe even seeing our bug count stay stable instead of increasing with every new build!

After weeks of constantly fuming and grumbling, and now ranting on here, I've been feeling like a right prima donna. Except that now that I stop and think about it, pretty much every single grievance I've had about our current project is directly related to this guy. I thought I was rational enough to spot when I'm experiencing cognitive bias and avoid staying overly negative in those cases, but this guy managed to shatter my own expectations.

Godspeed, Mr. Febreze. You've set a bar of mediocrity that will probably never be surpassed for the rest of my career. Which, in a way, is something that will come in very handy whenever I have to deal with bad coworkers in the future.

Jan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 27, 2012

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
If he stinks, why not just tell him he stinks and to shower?
If he doesn't do it, cover his desk in so many pine tree airfresheners that he can barely move.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
E: I think I'm crossing a line, sorry folks!

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 27, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

This was the view from my office before I moved to Asia. I think it's some kind of American or Peregrine falcon.

Note the mouse in its claws. A warning to us all.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jan posted:

I have a programmer colleague coworker. I've mentioned this coworker before -- the guy smells of sweat and humidity, has supposedly been admonished by HR about it, but still loving stinks like a hobo.
I've seen this specific thing happen before. Companies (game companies in our case, but all companies) should have strict protocol about disciplining people. It shouldn't really matter if the issue is personal hygiene, tardiness, or general incompetence. The person's manager(s) and/or HR should have a clear process by which they officially reprimand that person. That reprimand should include, "Now that you have been told this thing, you must take this action within this period of time or ESCALATION EVENT X will occur." However many stages this goes through, they pretty much end with a, "stop being bad/get fired" dichotomy.

In cases where these processes are followed, no one is surprised if/when the bad employee is let go -- typically including the employee, unless he/she is detached from reality. It shouldn't be the responsibility of co-workers to constantly harangue another co-worker for making it hard to do work.

In past years, when I had to approach a peer or someone with whom I had no established hierarchical relationship, I would go to that person, cleanly express my issue, and then inform my manager about it in e-mail (and usually in person as a follow-up) immediately afterward. If the problem continued after that point, I would just go straight to my manager. If direct, no-bullshit communication doesn't get the job done, it's time for others to apply downward pressure.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Senso posted:

This was the view from my office before I moved to Asia. I think it's some kind of American or Peregrine falcon.

That looks to be a Kestrel. That's the first falcon that you are generally allowed to own (no bald eagle right off the bat folks).

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Senso posted:

That looks exactly like an American Kestrel (or sparrow hawk depending on where you live)
It's the coolest looking, and most common, falcon in North America I think.

edit:
damnit, beat to the punch

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Yes, that's the one, a kestrel. You have to realize that it was freezing cold outside, easily below 0C (this is Montreal) and the mouse in its claw was actually all covered in ice. Made it even more surrealist.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I've never had the "never showers" coworker, although many years ago, working my first job at a CopyMax, there was a regular customer like that. He lived in a trailer park across the street from the strip mall in which the store was located. He was literally insane, and would come in to make photocopies of hand-written letters to the government. The letters literally began with, "To the Govermint," followed by 2-3 page rants about how they need to stop spying on him through the televisions and the "monofilament cameras" hidden in the eye of the pyramid on the back of dollar bills.

He never showered, and he only wore one outfit (never washed). I can still smell that smell to this day. This man emitted a pungent mix of year-old ball sweat and that sulfuric rotten-egg smell. He somehow had money though, because one time he came in and had us make 20,000 copies of a 30 page hand-written letter to his father. We checked with the supervisor, and he said "if his check doesn't bounce, just do it." The copies plus shipping (addressed to his father) cost something like $12,000. He wrote a check and it did not bounce.

This dude was a regular, and one of the best days of my life was my last day at that job, because it meant I would not have to smell that odor again. He happened to come in that day, and he overheard that it was my last day as I was moving back to Texas. He hung around for twenty minutes to try and convince me that the Texas Rangers were a rogue force that had clandestine powers beyond the FBI and the CIA, and then he started apologizing profusely because he shouldn't have told me that, for my protection, they've had their eye on him for years, if they find out that HE REVEALED THEIR SECRETS TO ME they'll swoop in with their black choppers as soon as I'm over the border and take me to the secret brainwashing facilities where I'll be drafted into their ranks and made to be part of the global new world order coverup.

I guess the point is, when it comes to people who smell bad, there are worse things than a lovely programmer!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Being a UI programmer is hard. You basically have to understand the entire codebase to do it effectively. UI is where the rubber meets the road, and no feature is real until the UI for it is implemented. Most features aren't even really fully thought out until somebody gets around to designing and implementing the UI for them. And every single bug entered into the system that is even remotely ambiguous gets sent to you. Because hey, you have to use UI to reproduce the bug, or the bug was "introduced" when the UI exposed the feature.

(I'm sure the guy you are complaining about is indeed totally incompetent. Just gotta stick up for all the UI devs. :) )

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Sigma-X posted:

I think it is an exaggeration of job postings.

Just apply to everything anyways who gives a gently caress. Literally no one will hold your substandard application against you and the reality is that number of years of experience does not correlate to a quantifiable amount of skill or talent.

yes - ultimately it's a game of matching skillsets with needs.
Every interviewer is inwardly hoping "Oh god I hope this guy is the one so I don't have do to any more of these loving interviews."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Juc66 posted:

If he stinks, why not just tell him he stinks and to shower?
If he doesn't do it, cover his desk in so many pine tree airfresheners that he can barely move.

While he's gone a great prank would be to cover his poo poo with air fresheners (tape them to behind his monitor, under his keyboard, under the desk, etc, etc) and fill his drawers with extra deodorant and soap.