Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Horrible Driver failure happened near where I live.
Looks like he tried to make that turn without cutting it to the left first.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wind...321.12,,0,13.27
Street view link doesn't show how steep the incline is or how deep the ditch is on that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It turned out to be a pain in the rear end to find a picture of Subaru's solution.

You can see where the spare went; right on top.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I had a girlfriend in high school who drove an 89 Subaru somethingorother. First time I looked under the hood I couldn't believe it.

haxality
Oct 18, 2009
Tire chat: My S2000 has a donut, so I have to move one of the front wheels to the back if I want the diff to not eat itself. Sounds fun jacking the car up twice, but for some reason I still prefer it to a can of fix-a-flat. One rare occurrence that sealant wouldn't really help with is if you totally destroy the tire or wheel and need something new to roll on.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Holy crap. Spare tires suck in one way or another. We get it.

How does a gallon plus of diesel in your cooling system sound as a failure?
Something's amiss...

Yummy! Butterscotch pudding!.. that's been left in the sun for a while.

I guess Ford 7.3s have a history of cracking the fuel injector cups in the heads and pumping fuel into the coolant passages.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Don't text and pull out of your driveway at the same time, like my neigbour three doors down did.

Fun fact: Fire hydrants are hard.

It ain't even mad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good thing too, fire hydrants are pricey as hell to replace.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Don't text and pull out of your driveway at the same time, like my neigbour three doors down did.

Fun fact: Fire hydrants are hard.

It ain't even mad.

uninsured loving rear end in a top hat hydrants.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that hydrant picture after the impact? Because drat not a loving scratch.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that hydrant is properly painted to code, he should sue the city.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chinatown posted:

Is that hydrant picture after the impact? Because drat not a loving scratch.

Well, there's one:

and she beat up the curbing a little...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Oh, well, but GTA taught me that if you run over it you get a sweet geyser.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Plinkey posted:

I don't think that hydrant is properly painted to code, he should sue the city.

Fun trivia: the color of a hydrant's body, top, and caps gives fire fighters information about (roughly) how much water (pressure and GPM) a given hydrant is capable of supplying.

http://www.firehydrant.org/info/hycolor.html

But yeah, that one needs to be repainted.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

some texas redneck posted:

Fun trivia: the color of a hydrant's body, top, and caps gives fire fighters information about (roughly) how much water (pressure and GPM) a given hydrant is capable of supplying.

http://www.firehydrant.org/info/hycolor.html

But yeah, that one needs to be repainted.

Fun story: The high school here thought it would be a fun idea to paint all the hydrants in town up as bears or some poo poo as a class project. The fun part: The city, apparently, approved this proposal without actually contacting the fire department about it, so the first fire they rolled up to after that they didn't know what the gently caress. City wouldn't ruin the student's work by repainting them, either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Boy it sure would be a shame if the fire truck knocked a few of them over leaving a scene.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

Fun story: The high school here thought it would be a fun idea to paint all the hydrants in town up as bears or some poo poo as a class project. The fun part: The city, apparently, approved this proposal without actually contacting the fire department about it, so the first fire they rolled up to after that they didn't know what the gently caress. City wouldn't ruin the student's work by repainting them, either.

Weird, we did the same thing in high school for one of my friends eagle project. Every hydrant was red body, silver caps. So I guess they fire dept would think they all suck.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not everyone is following that... every hydrant around here is top to bottom red.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

`Nemesis posted:

Not everyone is following that... every hydrant around here is top to bottom red.

Maybe they're all the same rating?

That's cool though, I didn't know there was supposed to be a color code. My only fire hydrant story was when some high school buddies grabbed one that was soon-to-be installed in front of a new Walmart and brought it to class. They put clothes on it and pretended it was a student.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
I had a friend who's older brother stole a hydrant from a housing development for no real reason. That thing was HEAVY as hell, though. I can see why they wouldn't flinch from being bumped by a car.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
At the last city I lived in, hydrant colors differed between neighborhoods. My neighborhood's was black and yellow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Joe Mama posted:

I guess Ford 7.3s have a history of cracking the fuel injector cups in the heads and pumping fuel into the coolant passages.

Better than the alternative, which is pumping coolant into the fuel passages... and better than the alternative 6.ohno, which is great for stretching head bolts from what I hear!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It turned out to be a pain in the rear end to find a picture of Subaru's solution.

You can see where the spare went; right on top.

The spare generally looks about as nasty as that too.

It is a lot more difficult with the wheels they put on modern cars though - my mothers little Suzuki Swift has 16" wheels and there simply isn't any room for even a space saver let alone a full sized spare.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

dissss posted:

The spare generally looks about as nasty as that too.

It is a lot more difficult with the wheels they put on modern cars though - my mothers little Suzuki Swift has 16" wheels and there simply isn't any room for even a space saver let alone a full sized spare.

That's a really odd carb manifold on that engine. No subaru in the US ever came with a twin carb setup like that, only very few models in japan did.
I wish I could fit a full size spare under the hood of mine, but my tires are gigantic and don't come close to fitting. Instead it just eats trunk space.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joe Mama posted:

Holy crap. Spare tires suck in one way or another. We get it.

How does a gallon plus of diesel in your cooling system sound as a failure?
Something's amiss...

Yummy! Butterscotch pudding!.. that's been left in the sun for a while.

Yeah, Ford diesels have had a history of sordid issues...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Copied from the nasioc mechanic bitching thread:

That's all of 'em!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Engine are you ok, are you ok?
Engine are you ok?
Are you ok engine?
You've been hit by
You've been struck by
A smooth piston crown.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's all of 'em!

What do you mean I was supposed to change the timing belt :byodood:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

What do you mean I was supposed to change the timing belt :byodood:

Mine was "what do you mean we should have replaced the balance shaft belt too?"

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Valves, with swagger.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not sure if it's a horrible mechanical failure or a horrible tow truck driver failure.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Not sure if it's a horrible mechanical failure or a horrible tow truck driver failure.

How did anybody not hear the carnage going on back there? :psyduck:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MiniFoo posted:

How did anybody not hear the carnage going on back there? :psyduck:

Toby Keith blasting at eleven on the stereo?

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
If you didn't hear it you would feel it.. if hitting the gas even caused the car to move anymore. I'm betting tow fail.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Supposedly it was a RWD car towed with the rear wheels on the ground with the car in park.

No idea what kind of car it is/was, but that's gonna be a few :10bux: to fix..

Based on what I read about it, I'm gonna guess the car was dragged in park and the tires were hopping/skidding until something expensive broke.. allowing the driveshaft to flail about like someone losing their virginity.

e: I found it on reddit's justrolledintotheshop :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 25, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Supposedly it was a RWD car towed with the rear wheels on the ground with the car in park.

Somebody give that park pawl a loving medal, goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't believe that, something else had to go... Park pawls are not that strong.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't believe that, something else had to go... Park pawls are not that strong.

That appears to be a manual transmission to me.

derp! it says trans cooler in the link :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's all of 'em!
I couldn't have bent all those valves so precisely if you gave me special tools to do it with.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:

Longinus00 posted:

Is this a porsche specific complaint? I would think that all low riding sports cars would need low profile jacks. Just be happy you don't have an expensive enough porsche to worry about center locking wheels I guess.
Hard to find a low-enough profile jack to work when a flat tire drops an already low profile car another few inches. Speaking of which, how do the hellaflush guys jack their cars up? Crowbar?

grover fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

grover posted:

I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:

Hard to find a low-enough profile jack to work when a flat tire drops an already low profile car another few inches. Speaking of which, how do the hellaflush guys jack their cars up?

That famous E30 firehose picture. First seen on Netscape Navigator. ;)