Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so I can get five UAC/20s onto a mech in SSW, using mixed tech. It even has four tons of ammo! OK it is slow and does not have much armor, but on the other hand, it has laser heat sinks in the legs.

pre:

Melty MLT-1

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X
Production Year: 2750
Cost: 14,633,333 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,569

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 200 Compact Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 21.6 km/h
Maximum Speed: 32.4 km/h
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    5  (CL) Ultra AC/20s
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   152 points                5.00
    Internal Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT, 1 LA, 2 RA
Engine:             Compact Fusion Engine        200                      13.00
    Walking MP: 2
    Running MP: 3
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         (CL) Laser Heat Sink         10                        0.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 1 LL, 1 RL
Gyro:                                                                      0.00
Cockpit:            Interface                                              4.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA    R: SH+UA
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 224                 14.00
    CASE Locations: LT, RT                                                 0.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     31           34        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  9         
                                           L/R Torso     21           30        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  8         
                                             L/R Arm     17           21        
                                             L/R Leg     21           27        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             CT        7         8        12.00
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             RT        7         8        12.00
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             LT        7         8        12.00
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             RA        7         8        12.00
(CL) Ultra AC/20                             LA        7         8        12.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10)                            RT        -         2         2.00
@Ultra AC/20 (10)                            LT        -         2         2.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 2

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      7    Points: 26
2          5       5       0       0      4     4   Structure: 10
Special Abilities: CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

Oh yeah and it has flippy arms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah and it has flippy arms!

One shot with all weapons on Ultra Mode puts you straight to 'Automatic Ammo Explosion' on the expanded heat table.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

One shot with all weapons on Ultra Mode puts you straight to 'Automatic Ammo Explosion' on the expanded heat table.

The ultimate in Fire-and-Forget tactics!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doing the "FIRE EVERYTHING (in ultra mode)" tactic without exploding works if there are only 2 tons of ammo left, since after you fire the guns there's no ammo left to explode.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

landcollector posted:

Doing the "FIRE EVERYTHING (in ultra mode)" tactic without exploding works if there are only 2 tons of ammo left, since after you fire the guns there's no ammo left to explode.

Yeah this. Also, it uh, it's intended for use on icy outer planets with extremely low ambient temperatures.

I like to think of its alpha-strikes as like a disco ball exploding. LASER HEAT SINKS. It shines like a miniature sun.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TildeATH posted:

Man, somebody needs to do an OGRE LP.

Arq told me to come in here. What kind of Ogre LP? The minis/board game or the computer game? I could do either:

Or

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/177585_472354219458643_1692034292_o.jpg (Linked for being huge.)

I can cover either way. Or combine em for both. Get me hyped for the Ogre release this Winter. Kickstarted it like a BOSS.

The thing is I am kind of about to LP Castlevania 2 and 3 in a comic format like that first picture, and or this fine game:

I've only completed those three games and taken a combined 1000+ screenshots.

But if there is a demand for some Ogre I.. could be convinced.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah this. Also, it uh, it's intended for use on icy outer planets with extremely low ambient temperatures.

I like to think of its alpha-strikes as like a disco ball exploding. LASER HEAT SINKS. It shines like a miniature sun.
Take out two of the tons of ammo and replace them with CERMeds. Or four RL10. May as well go nova properly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

The lowest possible temperature you can get is something like the -6 from being in space. It wouldn't help.

Besides, if you're going to do silly you may as well make:

Titanic-Class Battleship

Mass: 400 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: Naval (Displacement)
Era: Clan Invasion
Cost: 23,357,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 5,575

Power Plant: 360 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 10.8 km/h
Flanking Speed: 21.6 km/h
Armor: Standard Armor
Armament:
10 Gauss Rifles (Turret), 20 tons of ammo
8 Streak SRM-2s (Front, Rear, Left, Right, 2x each), 8 tons of ammo
1 ECM Suite
1 Lifeboat (Maritime)
1 Unknown CASE
1 Unknown Targeting Computer
Armor Factor
Front: 346
Left/Right: 288/288
Turret: 288
Rear: 230

(Yes, boats can be good)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 24, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

CHI should be saved for this very thread, as some kind of Let's Read. I was going to LP it when I thought PTN was going on vacation, except I was going to change it to be part of PTN's universe.

Captain Rufus posted:

Arq told me to come in here. What kind of Ogre LP? The minis/board game or the computer game? I could do either:

Do both. There can never be enough OGRE. I don't want to promote a derail, so I'll just leave it at that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Why are you guys making poo poo up?

DI Morgan (Gauss Variant) - 3 x Gauss Rifles mounted in the Turret, which is linked to Targeting Computer and C3 Slave. Vehicle uses downgraded to a 200 XL Fusion engine, and its armor reduced by two and half tons. BV (2.0) = 1,623[4]

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

raverrn posted:

Why are you guys making poo poo up?

DI Morgan (Gauss Variant) - 3 x Gauss Rifles mounted in the Turret, which is linked to Targeting Computer and C3 Slave. Vehicle uses downgraded to a 200 XL Fusion engine, and its armor reduced by two and half tons. BV (2.0) = 1,623[4]

Again, the Gausszilla. Annihilator with 5 Gauss Rifles. A completely terrible but awesome mech.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Again, the Gausszilla. Annihilator with 5 Gauss Rifles. A completely terrible but awesome mech.

I was going to ask how that would even work, but checking if I could build something like that resulted in something that either had at most 1 in movement or that had very sparse armor. Like you said, terrible but awesome.

Though a 4 gauss does sound like a plausible design, if you stick some ER medium lasers, jumpjets and endo steel on it. Not that it wouldn't get absolutely murdered by most infighters or Savannah Masters.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

evilmiera posted:

I was going to ask how that would even work, but checking if I could build something like that resulted in something that either had at most 1 in movement or that had very sparse armor. Like you said, terrible but awesome.

Though a 4 gauss does sound like a plausible design, if you stick some ER medium lasers, jumpjets and endo steel on it. Not that it wouldn't get absolutely murdered by most infighters or Savannah Masters.

The ANH-C2 packs 4 Gauss Rifles and a Clan ER PPC. A very dangerous turret until it starts taking crits.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

All you need to make a working 4 Ultra 20 mech is mixed tech, small cockpit, compact gyro and composite structure and all else clan, Heck if you stand still and shoot you only have to make one ammo exploding check!.

Turn 1 fire neutral, turn 2 fire ultra, turn 3 fire ultra no more ammo to explode... GLORIOUS VICTORY ALL AMMO EXPENDED.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Superheavy hovercraft, 100 tons, 7/11, 3 Ultra AC/20s on the front, 6 tons of ammo, 13 tons ferrofibrous armor. Gives no fucks about no heat.

Society variant: 4 iATM12, 9 tons ammo, 18 tons ff armor.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 24, 2012

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

PoptartsNinja posted:

The lowest possible temperature you can get is something like the -6 from being in space. It wouldn't help.

Besides, if you're going to do silly you may as well make:

Titanic-Class Battleship

Mass: 400 tons
Tech Base: Clan
Motive Type: Naval (Displacement)
Era: Clan Invasion
Cost: 23,357,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 5,575

Power Plant: 360 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 10.8 km/h
Flanking Speed: 21.6 km/h
Armor: Standard Armor
Armament:
10 Gauss Rifles (Turret), 20 tons of ammo
8 Streak SRM-2s (Front, Rear, Left, Right, 2x each), 8 tons of ammo
1 ECM Suite
1 Lifeboat (Maritime)
1 Unknown CASE
1 Unknown Targeting Computer
Armor Factor
Front: 346
Left/Right: 288/288
Turret: 288
Rear: 230

(Yes, boats can be good)

More like the Titanic armored tub.

Naval warships can get up to 100k tons and feature multiple Long Tom batteries as armaments. Oh, and they can even have Mechs walking around on them as point defense, such as the Luftenburg Supercarrier.

I believe it's 7 hexes long (which is still undersized, the Nimitz is 330 meters long, or 11 hexes).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Naval warships can get up to 100k tons and feature multiple Long Tom batteries as armaments. Oh, and they can even have Mechs walking around on them as point defense, such as the Luftenburg Supercarrier.

I believe it's 7 hexes long (which is still undersized, the Nimitz is 330 meters long, or 11 hexes).

You'd think they'd give it a fusion power plant or something

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Taerkar posted:

Why not just mount a NAC/40 on it?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now I'm waiting for a mission including at least one battleship / super carrier and those gaus / AC20 equipped monster mechs (preferable with a bunch of "sensible" heavies and mediums running around getting wrecked). Make it happen PoptartsNinja :colbert:

...two battleships loaded with mechs in a BOARDING ACTION at high sea in stormy conditions :black101:

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why does being in space make heatsinks more effective :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Magic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
:battletech:

Pimpmust posted:

Now I'm waiting for a mission including at least one battleship / super carrier and those gaus / AC20 equipped monster mechs (preferable with a bunch of "sensible" heavies and mediums running around getting wrecked). Make it happen PoptartsNinja :colbert:

...two battleships loaded with mechs in a BOARDING ACTION at high sea in stormy conditions :black101:
Postin' dis again. The most :black101: thing ever, despite the j-pop.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

b0lt posted:

*mumbles something about no ambient heat*

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
:battletech:
Postin' dis again. The most :black101: thing ever, despite the j-pop.

I prefer this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUQV_kN0mg&t=58s :v:

(Both Italian and Spanish dubs are awesome, especially the Zentradi voices)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 24, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I dunno, a lot of the charm is lost when the Japanese music is replaced. It's just so delightfully lovely.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

b0lt posted:

Physics is LosTech.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

But think of the glory!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

b0lt posted:

Are you disputing that it's cold in space? More cold means more cooling, duh. It's totally scientific.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

NmareBfly posted:

Are you disputing that it's cold in space? More cold means more cooling, duh. It's totally scientific.

Space does not have a temperature! :argh:

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

Space does not have a temperature! :argh:
Fist shaking is a request for nitpicking, so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation posted:

The CMBR has a thermal black body spectrum at a temperature of 2.725 K, which peaks at the microwave range frequency of 160.2 GHz
Oh wait...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Physics is LosTech.
Yeah, there's always that. In other news, OGRE looks like it could be great and I'd read that LP.

Anti-derail: Does fighting in space automatically give you CASE? In that one physical breach and all the contents are sucked out into the void?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nope. The inside of the mech/aerospace fighter/ship is far less resilient to explosions than the armor that surrounds it.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Simon Says.

In the original Mechwarrior 2, you could assign your `Mechs negative heat sinks by throwing ten singles in the engine. The game would always try to revert to doubles, and would downgrade from 10 singles to 6 doubles. Four Ultra AC/20s in a Dire Wolf wa hilarious, even if you had to cheat to keep yourself from instantly exploding due to heat.

I don't recall there being a particular limit to how many negative heatsinks you could have. I distinctly remember running around with a Firemoth/Dasher that had a 400-class engine in it, probably loaded to the brim with stupid weaponry too. It was...vaguely entertaining for a little while.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Taerkar posted:

You know what's really funny about large naval support vehicles?

Due to how critical slots are assigned for them and their tonnage, the most effective weapon for one of those is...

the AC/2. Sure, the AC/2 sounds pretty mediocre. Until you realize you can mount literally 10 AC/2s for the price of an AC/20. You can mount 30 for the price of a Long Tom.

There is nothing with better tonnage-to-SV-crit slots ratio, and you only have like 300 crit slots with 150,000 tons or so of mass.

298 AC/2s sounds pretty impressive to me.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

MJ12 posted:

You know what's really funny about large naval support vehicles?

Due to how critical slots are assigned for them and their tonnage, the most effective weapon for one of those is...

the AC/2. Sure, the AC/2 sounds pretty mediocre. Until you realize you can mount literally 10 AC/2s for the price of an AC/20. You can mount 30 for the price of a Long Tom.

There is nothing with better tonnage-to-SV-crit slots ratio, and you only have like 300 crit slots with 150,000 tons or so of mass.

298 AC/2s sounds pretty impressive to me.

So you build the BT equivalent of an Atlanta-class cruiser?

... I now really really want to see that happen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A floating sandstorm of TACs, head-taps, and interminable firing phases.

As far as dick moves go, I like it!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sweet Delia, I'd need a palette of boxes of death and a forklift to shake it with.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Sweet Delia, I'd need a palette of boxes of death and a forklift to shake it with.

At that point honestly you could just forgo the dice and just use the average statistics, because variation will be pretty unlikely. :p

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

And since ammo should only be one crit slot for however much you want...

298 tons of ammo (for a total of 2086 tons or multiply that to get hilarious levels) And thus the ability to vaporize the hell out of enemies.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

And since ammo should only be one crit slot for however much you want...

298 tons of ammo (for a total of 2086 tons or multiply that to get hilarious levels) And thus the ability to vaporize the hell out of enemies.

How much damage would an ammo explosion of that caliber do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Koorisch posted:

How much damage would an ammo explosion of that caliber do?

They'd be lucky to have a pond afterwards (26,820 damage explosion).

• Locked thread