Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Pleads posted:

MAN I'D TOTALLY LOVE A TOURNAMENT WEEKEND

*sellouts posts a tournament weekend invite*

*crickets*

Silly goons.

my leg is still broken :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

robcat posted:

my leg is still broken :(

If it's still broken in January I suggest seeking a new doctor and a second opinion!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

VendaGoat posted:

My knees can't take Ice hockey. :smith:

Have you tried playing ice since you got your knee braces or is there something about your knee injuries or ice hockey in general that you think would make it harder on your knees?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My friend with really bad knees (torn ACL & MCL in both legs) says Ice Hockey is the easiest sport he's tried to play on his knees

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

toxicsunset posted:

My friend with really bad knees (torn ACL & MCL in both legs) says Ice Hockey is the easiest sport he's tried to play on his knees

VendaGoat is a goalie though, so he puts different stresses on his knees than a skater would. Anecdotally I feel like ice hockey is easier on my knees as a goaltender than inline or street hockey were, but my perception could be wrong and a lot could depend on equipment, the nature of his injuries, how well he has recored from them, and how much experience he has playing ice hockey.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Aniki posted:

Have you tried playing ice since you got your knee braces or is there something about your knee injuries or ice hockey in general that you think would make it harder on your knees?

Honestly, no I haven't. So this winter I'll see about lacing up some skates and seeing what happens.

As for the injuries and such. It's somewhere around 19 dislocations of my knees, in total. Mostly on the right one.

Last time I got checked out the doctor basically told me, what cartilage I have left in my right knee, is junk. I've had other docs give me the same basic speech of, :getout: of hockey.

I love the sport though, and the new braces and exercises have straightened my feet back to normal, from being duck footed. I can now walk 10 miles, without the use of my braces.

The other side of that story. I can stand up and in normal walking, my knee will temporarily "lock" and I'll have to catch myself from falling. So, somewhere down the line for me, I'll probably have to have both knees replaced. Won't that be a fun day?

Until then, I'm going to play the position and sport I love.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Pleads posted:

If it's still broken in January I suggest seeking a new doctor and a second opinion!

That's a good point. Probably should have looked at the dates first. It won't be broken by then, but I think I'll also have been just getting back into playing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Honestly, no I haven't. So this winter I'll see about lacing up some skates and seeing what happens.

As for the injuries and such. It's somewhere around 19 dislocations of my knees, in total. Mostly on the right one.

Last time I got checked out the doctor basically told me, what cartilage I have left in my right knee, is junk. I've had other docs give me the same basic speech of, :getout: of hockey.

I love the sport though, and the new braces and exercises have straightened my feet back to normal, from being duck footed. I can now walk 10 miles, without the use of my braces.

The other side of that story. I can stand up and in normal walking, my knee will temporarily "lock" and I'll have to catch myself from falling. So, somewhere down the line for me, I'll probably have to have both knees replaced. Won't that be a fun day?

Until then, I'm going to play the position and sport I love.

There's a guy in my league who is around 60-70 years old, has 2 fake knees and still rocking it. It's pretty impressive actually.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's a guy in my league who is around 60-70 years old, has 2 fake knees and still rocking it. It's pretty impressive actually.

:unsmith:

That...

That's awesome! Thanks!

It gives me hope. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a 60-something dude that sometimes shows up to play at my rink. He shows up wearing leather skates and a set of pads straight out of the 70's, which look pretty awesome. His helmet is the best, he wears an old style cage that looks like a modern goalie mask.

He recently retired the skates though and got a pair of bauers. He said it took him a couple days to adjust to having real ankle support and wearing something that doesn't weigh a ton.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

:unsmith:

That...

That's awesome! Thanks!

It gives me hope. :)

Anecdotally there's a guy who's playing in the ice league that i'm in that has arthritis in his legs so bad that he needs two canes to walk and has a handicapped placard for his van, yet he still plays ice. He skates out, but it's still pretty awesome I think.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Look Around You posted:

Anecdotally there's a guy who's playing in the ice league that i'm in that has arthritis in his legs so bad that he needs two canes to walk and has a handicapped placard for his van, yet he still plays ice. He skates out, but it's still pretty awesome I think.

Hockey players are all the same. We all love it and never want to let it go.

Gentlemen and Ladies, we are a weird bunch. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't been on skates since June 26th.

Largely because of a 3 week vacation. I expected to get right back into things when I returned but it turns out my scheduled rat hockey has been cancelled until September 6 and I have no idea what to do. I'm getting twitchy to skate. :ohdear:

There's free skates available but it's just not the same without a stick in my hands.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

VendaGoat posted:

My knees can't take Ice hockey. :smith:

I have bad knees and my first experience in hockey was in net for inline. Moving to ice has been much nicer on my knees partially due to using nicer pads with thicker landing gear. The other part that I think helps my knees is that you slide much easier. The downside if you do switch to ice is that you'll never want to play inline ever again.

VendaGoat posted:

Hockey players are all the same. We all love it and never want to let it go.

Gentlemen and Ladies, we are a weird bunch. :)

I've played tons of organized softball and had a blast but the best times I've had in organized sports are in beer league hockey.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

I haven't been on skates since June 26th.

Largely because of a 3 week vacation. I expected to get right back into things when I returned but it turns out my scheduled rat hockey has been cancelled until September 6 and I have no idea what to do. I'm getting twitchy to skate. :ohdear:

There's free skates available but it's just not the same without a stick in my hands.

I've skated on the pair of skates I recently bought a grand total of 3 times, and I'm not sure I'll get another chance before I start playing hockey again. Oh boy :v:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

xzzy posted:

Head to home depot and buy sheets of dry erase board.

Silicon spray if you want to get it so slippery it's dangerous to stand on.

dms666 posted:

Yeah this is the cheapest option, it comes 4'x8', so you can cut it to whatever size you want and its only like $10. Silicon spray is only like $3 also.

This worked great, thanks for the suggestion!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bradf0rd posted:

I have bad knees and my first experience in hockey was in net for inline. Moving to ice has been much nicer on my knees partially due to using nicer pads with thicker landing gear. The other part that I think helps my knees is that you slide much easier. The downside if you do switch to ice is that you'll never want to play

I have a friend who plays roller and she's trying to get me to do it, but I just can't. I'm having too much fun on the ice.

Played a game at 7:30 this morning and I have another one at 4:45 this afternoon. By the time it's done I will have played three games in 24 hours. We already know we're not going to be in the championship game so we're looking at adding a consolation game tomorrow morning. I'm trying to get in all the skating I can right now, because the fall league doesn't start up for another two weeks after this weekend is over.

Bonus pic: The rink at 7:00 this morning.

e: Also, I forgot this -- I decided to give the RBK Edge socks a try. Holy cow, I like them so much better than the knit socks. I can't get over how much less bulk there is to them, and they're also cooler (which is a bonus since I'm playing south of the Mason-Dixon line).

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 25, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Championship game tonight!

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Championship game tonight!

Good luck!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I strongly suggest throwing off all your gear and sprinting to bear hug your goalie if you win.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I have to go in for non-injury related surgery and the doc said no hockey for 6 weeks minimum. :smith:

At least he said I can go to stick and pucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, like doctors know anything. I think you can ignore everything he says about not playing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My favorite "can I play doc?" moment was when he told me "Well, the only bad thing that will happen is you'll be in a lot of pain, so go for it if you want to."

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Found a beginner hockey clinic in my area that starts next month, 13 weeks on Sunday nights. :) Only problem is that it goes from 9:20 to 10:20 PM, when I have to be up at 4:30 the next morning.

:staredog:

Still wanna do it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Brettbot posted:

Found a beginner hockey clinic in my area that starts next month, 13 weeks on Sunday nights. :) Only problem is that it goes from 9:20 to 10:20 PM, when I have to be up at 4:30 the next morning.

:staredog:

Still wanna do it.

You'll probably have to get used to it anyway if you want to play since a lot of adult league games are pretty late. Like, a lot of my games start at 10:30 or so and I know other posters have mentioned having even later games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Late nights are normal for adult rec play.. old dudes are pretty far down the list in terms of priority for rinks. It's still a huge amount of fun though, don't hesitate at all to do it. I usually get home at 1am on the nights I skate. :downs:

The one big advantage to a late skate is you're usually the last ones using the rink for the day so you can typically skate until the zam driver kicks you off. If you still want ice, slip him a couple beers and you can skate until your legs fall off.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Thufir posted:

You'll probably have to get used to it anyway if you want to play since a lot of adult league games are pretty late. Like, a lot of my games start at 10:30 or so and I know other posters have mentioned having even later games.

Yeah, I mean I stay up late most nights anyways, but when the rink is 40-ish minutes away that makes it like 11:30 by the time I get to bed and I work 12.5 - 13 hour days, so we'll see how it goes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, we lost the championship 3-2. I wouldn't mind so much, but it was against the team of colossal shitbags who sandbag Bronze league every season. I was on the ice at the end of the game, and after the final buzzer went off, Mr. "I have 75 penalty minutes in 17 games and have been suspended multiple times" skated over to me, sprayed me, dropped his gloves and got up in my face to rub it in for some reason. Great sportsmanship bro.

Refs called a bunch of ticky-tack bullshit all night and I felt like 75% of my shifts were on the PK. Dumb stuff that shouldn't really be called in a championship game. One of our centers got tossed in the box for delay of game on a faceoff. The puck was stuck between the 2 centers after the drop while they were both fighting for it, and our guy gets the 2. No clue on that one.

We were up 2-1 in the 3rd after killing about 5-6 minutes of 5v3 (ugh). They tied it up with 3 minutes left in the game, then scored the game-winner with 22 seconds left in the game on a laser slapper at the blue line. Total heart-breaker.

And so ends our 2-year/4-season Bronze league run, as we're moving up to Silver next season. Pretty much the whole team is from the same LTP class, so it's pretty crazy to see how far we've come since then. No more Sunday night games for us anymore, and I actually get to watch football now!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The worst part about those games is that once you get shocked by the officials' baseline of what is a penalty the frustration sets in when the rest of your team doesn't get the message and continues to take penalties.

Also it's pretty crazy that 2 years into playing and a team is moving up to silver. Congrats

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You get points for keeping your cool at the end of the game. Moral victory and all that.

If someone got in my grill after beating me in a game and acted like a shitcock, I'm not sure what I'd do. I probably wouldn't hit the guy, but I certainly wouldn't be civil.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
We had a game changer in our second round playoff game on Saturday night. Maybe you guys who ref can answer this for me, because we're still baffled by it.

So our D guy blasts a shot from the point, it gets through to the goalie who stops most of the puck, but it squeezes through in between his armpit and drops down to the ice behind him. He freezes and the puck is slowly rolling into the net. My linemate sees this, and dives forward, hitting the puck with his stick, puck goes in.

Ref immediately skates over and waves off the goal for our guy being in the crease. Two things:

1. This shot came on a 3 on 2 rush, me, winger, and the D guy who I dropped the pass to for the booming shot.

2. Neither I or my winger were anywhere near the crease when the shot came.

My understanding is that as soon as the goalie touches the puck, and the puck is loose, it's fair game, is that correct?

Anyways, after that goal was waved off, the other team scored about 2 minutes later, which turned out to be the game winner. We were up 3-1 at one point, and while I make no excuses for us giving up that lead, that goal that was waved off would have put momentum back on our side. I don't normally bitch about the refs, but I gotta believe this was a bad call.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

The worst part about those games is that once you get shocked by the officials' baseline of what is a penalty the frustration sets in when the rest of your team doesn't get the message and continues to take penalties.

Also it's pretty crazy that 2 years into playing and a team is moving up to silver. Congrats

Thanks. It's pretty bitter-sweet. It took us a couple season before we even got our first playoff win, so to come so close and not take it home in our last Bronze season is pretty disappointing. There wasn't a :smith: big enough for the mood of the locker room after the game. No one even had the desire to hang out and have a beer after the game either. Our team is named after a brewery, so that says something.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Welp, we lost the championship 3-2. I wouldn't mind so much, but it was against the team of colossal shitbags who sandbag Bronze league every season. I was on the ice at the end of the game, and after the final buzzer went off, Mr. "I have 75 penalty minutes in 17 games and have been suspended multiple times" skated over to me, sprayed me, dropped his gloves and got up in my face to rub it in for some reason. Great sportsmanship bro.

Refs called a bunch of ticky-tack bullshit all night and I felt like 75% of my shifts were on the PK. Dumb stuff that shouldn't really be called in a championship game. One of our centers got tossed in the box for delay of game on a faceoff. The puck was stuck between the 2 centers after the drop while they were both fighting for it, and our guy gets the 2. No clue on that one.

We were up 2-1 in the 3rd after killing about 5-6 minutes of 5v3 (ugh). They tied it up with 3 minutes left in the game, then scored the game-winner with 22 seconds left in the game on a laser slapper at the blue line. Total heart-breaker.

And so ends our 2-year/4-season Bronze league run, as we're moving up to Silver next season. Pretty much the whole team is from the same LTP class, so it's pretty crazy to see how far we've come since then. No more Sunday night games for us anymore, and I actually get to watch football now!

Congratulations on moving up to the next level. That's definitely a goal of mine, so it's nice to hear when people accomplish that.

I've had some games like that where the officials decide they are going to keep the game under control and just start calling everything. It gets annoying and sometimes feels like the ticky tack calls escalate things more than it controls the game, but I'm not the one who needs to break up idiots fighting in beer league. I just hate when I go to talk to the refs about what is going on and they refuse to talk to me because I'm a goalie, even though I am the captain and clearly have a C on my jersey. I'm not going to be a jerk and argue about the calls, but I do want to know if they are going to start calling everything.

As for the whole goalie/captain thing. It's not an ideal arrangement, since there is only so much I can control from the net, but I do have assistant captains that are supposed to be in charge of the forwards and defense, which works to varying degrees of success. I'm better at the organizational stuff like making sure we have enough players, finding subs, and dealing with the league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks. It's pretty bitter-sweet. It took us a couple season before we even got our first playoff win, so to come so close and not take it home in our last Bronze season is pretty disappointing. There wasn't a :smith: big enough for the mood of the locker room after the game. No one even had the desire to hang out and have a beer after the game either. Our team is named after a brewery, so that says something.

You guys are way too serious.

Man up and if people brought beers, drink em. Jesus, it's bronze league beer league and you've been playing for 2 seasons total!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone heard of this hockey coach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gknY8ghSX2c

He sure gets some big names paying him for lessons. He sells instructional videos on his website.. they're pretty expensive, but based on the free videos he's got available maybe they're interesting?

http://www.proplaymakers.ca/?page_id=844&preview=true

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Pfft, like doctors know anything. I think you can ignore everything he says about not playing.

Let's just say that in this case, it's a good idea to listen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

trilljester posted:

We had a game changer in our second round playoff game on Saturday night. Maybe you guys who ref can answer this for me, because we're still baffled by it.

So our D guy blasts a shot from the point, it gets through to the goalie who stops most of the puck, but it squeezes through in between his armpit and drops down to the ice behind him. He freezes and the puck is slowly rolling into the net. My linemate sees this, and dives forward, hitting the puck with his stick, puck goes in.

Ref immediately skates over and waves off the goal for our guy being in the crease. Two things:

1. This shot came on a 3 on 2 rush, me, winger, and the D guy who I dropped the pass to for the booming shot.

2. Neither I or my winger were anywhere near the crease when the shot came.

My understanding is that as soon as the goalie touches the puck, and the puck is loose, it's fair game, is that correct?

Anyways, after that goal was waved off, the other team scored about 2 minutes later, which turned out to be the game winner. We were up 3-1 at one point, and while I make no excuses for us giving up that lead, that goal that was waved off would have put momentum back on our side. I don't normally bitch about the refs, but I gotta believe this was a bad call.

USA hockey rule on the crease is that any time any opposing player is anywhere in the crease at any time without the puck it is a whistle and a faceoff, no exceptions (this is an area where it differs from the NHL, where you can be in the crease as long as you're not messing with the goalie). If no one on your team was ever in the crease then it was a blown call, but if someone was at any time prior to the shot being taken then it was correct.

Also I just glanced over the USAH rule book and it says "intimidation tactics have no place in ice hockey". Granted, it says that "intimidation tactics" are basically illegal things, but that isn't really what I think "intimidation" means. Competitive youth hockey must be very, very different nowadays if teams are no longer trying to intimidate one another.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bewbies posted:

USA hockey rule on the crease is that any time any opposing player is anywhere in the crease at any time without the puck it is a whistle and a faceoff, no exceptions (this is an area where it differs from the NHL, where you can be in the crease as long as you're not messing with the goalie). If no one on your team was ever in the crease then it was a blown call, but if someone was at any time prior to the shot being taken then it was correct.

Yeah, I dropped pass to my D man and charged the net, my winger went straight for the net but didn't get to the crease before the shot came, so I'm calling it a blown call based on your description of the rule.

Once the puck is dropped by the goalie, and the ref hasn't blown it dead, it's fair game though, right? anyone can go in the crease to tap it in?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

trilljester posted:

Yeah, I dropped pass to my D man and charged the net, my winger went straight for the net but didn't get to the crease before the shot came, so I'm calling it a blown call based on your description of the rule.

Once the puck is dropped by the goalie, and the ref hasn't blown it dead, it's fair game though, right? anyone can go in the crease to tap it in?

Once the ref loses sight of the puck or decides that the puck is covered, then the play is dead and it doesn't matter where the puck ends up afterwards. In your case, it sounds like the ref may have considered the puck dead and perhaps he was late to his whistle and your player was close enough to the crease that he just decided to disallow the goal since he missed the whistle. I have no clue if that is what happened or not, but it seems plausible.

Edit: I'm not sure about the validity of a goal before the whistle, but it would probably be up the ref's descretion or like I said before, maybe he used the crease violation to cover up for a mistake that he made?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I would assume the ref lost sight of the puck and thought it may have been buried under the goalie somewhere, thus the whistle. We've had lots of goals whistled off due to this loving thing :argh:

Either that or, a clear-cut case of intimidation tactics.