Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They're too uncommon imo to get solid prices aside from the DRZ's. A 625 or a converted 525 will pop up now and again but they're all in different shape, have different mods, have been tracked, etc. It's pretty hard to nail down a price especially when the owner thinks he's God because he bought a used set of Warp9's and slapped them on dirtbike and then titled it. I think if you paid 3500 for that bike it'd be fair. It's not the deal of the century but you can probably ride it a while and sell it off for what you paid for it.

I don't think it has a slipper clutch unless I misread so you won't be tempted to go all out with it burning off tires so the set should last a little while depending on what you got.

Do you plan on tracking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Eventually I'd just like to do track days, but I need to get some street riding under my belt, first.

And I think you're right about it not having a slipper clutch. That sure would be nice to have.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 22, 2012

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
My DRZ400 needs a new chain, any recommendations?

Edit: Oh, I guess I need some other tools to do this as well. Motorcycle repair seems to be expensive the first time you do each thing, getting all these tools is pricey.

Resource fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 23, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
So,

:laffo:

I want a supermoto at some point, but I am wee and it looks like that'll be a problem. Is it possible to lower it so I'm not hanging my entire rear end off the side at stoplights?

I wanna hoon :qq:

An observer fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 23, 2012

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Those diagrams might not include the way the bike sits lower when you are actually sitting on it. It's going to sink a lot with the suspension compressed under the load of your meaty body.

Also: hanging off the seat at stoplights is not the end of the world. Certainly a price worth paying to have a sumo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, unless you weigh 80lbs, I'd be seriously surprised if you couldnt touch the ground on both of those bikes.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I'm 110. Not entirely a twig, but also possibly not meaty enough. I've even had trouble lowering some office chairs :v:

It's definitely not enough to stop me from getting one, just figured I'd pop in and ask.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

An observer posted:

I'm 110. Not entirely a twig, but also possibly not meaty enough. I've even had trouble lowering some office chairs :v:

It's definitely not enough to stop me from getting one, just figured I'd pop in and ask.

If you're desperate for sumotery, you can get lowering links / springs that will drop the seat height.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Safety Dance posted:

If you're desperate for sumotery, you can get lowering links / springs that will drop the seat height.

Psh, or you could just fatten up a little. You know, whatever you want to do.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Resource posted:

Psh, or you could just fatten up a little. You know, whatever you want to do.

I used to think my KLR650 was a little tall until I started wearing a couple of 25 pound bar weights under my armor.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

For the record, that's a twig. But yes sumos are awesome.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Not really, for a woman anyway ;-*

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
After a bunch more reading and thinking I don’t think the DRZ400 is right SM for me. I worry that is will not have enough pep. Seems like the DRZ needs $1000+ minimum to make it quick. If I am getting a second bike for fun it needs to be unreasonably fast ….well, at least faster than a stock DRZ400 :)

I learned to ride long ago as a teenager on a 1980 2 stroke Yamaha 400 enduro and I guess I am chasing that feeling. Think at this point I will go back to saving cash and waiting until next spring. Any other Cycle asylum approved SMs to think about?

I hear a Husqvarna 610sm is a pretty great, fast, and reliable bike and I now want one. Howerver, I don’t think it would be easy to find one. I the 690 KTM is awesome but way too much money and also hard to find. I think I am leaning toward a late model WR450 or ?? (are Hondas any good for conversion?), other than wheels / tires / brakes / chain what else would one do to convert a WR450 to a sumo? Colorado is supposed to be an easy state for getting road plates so I am not too worried about that. Is $1000 - $1200 a reasonable budget for a conversion? I am looking to get away with a $3500 - $4500 total budget.

Sorry for the rambling post, I am still reading lots of thumper talk and supermotojunkie and this thread from the start to get educated in the ways of ridiculous wheeley machines.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Full on sumo's are a lot more fun but I don't think at this point in my life I could live with the "time bomb" kind of ride. You can definitely convert for 1-1.2k I'd think, especially buying used wheels. Tires will cost you a bit more. No idea how much titling costs though - you will most likely have to pay sales tax on the bike plus whatever it costs to get your vehicle plated through whatever loopholes occur there.

The beauty of DRZ's is in buying a bike for 3-4k that some poor fool has already dumped the money into. Most people immediately spring for the Yosh pipe and free mods, rejet, air filter, maybe better tires, levers, foot pegs, a new seat, etc. They eventually spring for a carb if they're really into the bike. These are the nice ones to grab as they've already dumped a grand ++ into it and are ready to get out from under it.

Yeah they might only have like 40hp instead of 60 but there's really no maintenance issues honestly. 450's are a ton of fun but they're going to be more peaky and you'll have to keep up on the valve checks and such so it doesn't get out of hand. If you don't depend on the bike 100% and aren't going to commute in 50 miles a day on it I say go for it, it's definitely worth it if all you plan to do is hoon + trackdays, etc.

You can grab an old CRF but the very earliest ones had some valve issues (they've probably been replaced by now with stainless steel ones though). WR's are pretty popular and are supposedly a little better than YZ's and CRF's as far as sumo conversions go. Like I said, if you can afford the conversion and a possible valve job / repercussions of something wearing out then go for it for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If its going to be a toy, go nuts with the Huskies and converted dirtbikes and whatnot.

If its going to have to get you to work in the morning, go for a DRZ, WRX, or a newer LC4.

If you can find a DRZ with the FCR and a pipe already done, you'll be sitting on a decently quick bike. The FCR is like a motor swap for the DRZ. Plenty of people throw big bore kits, cams, etc at them for even more power. Let someone else spend the money and buy it used.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

An observer posted:

Not really, for a woman anyway ;-*

Okay, you're good. Sumos are still awesome.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
GUYS. I DID A THING.

I THOUGHT I WAS BETTER AT MANAGING MY MONEY, BUT THIS THING IS AWESOME. ($3600, but I'm mostly okay with that. I found a few people in Texas that purchased similar models for $4k+.)

I'll take better pics when I have a chance and it's not midnight.

Edit:
There are some things I need to fix, but I have all the parts:
1) Replace the rear brake pads. The seller gave me two or three packs of EBC pads.
2) Reinstall the ignition lock, starter, and find a bigger battery and fabricate a new battery box since two owners ago it was decided it would be kickstart only and a really tiny battery would be used.
3) Install the signal indicators and buy a pair of handguards and probably mirrors. (What mirrors should I buy?)
4) Go play around in a parking lot, a lot.

Oh, and eventually change the fork oil and tires.

The same owner who removed the starter and put in the "custom" subframe also did the "ghetto" tubeless mod. to the wheels. I am considering switching back to using innertubes when I change the tires. Do only particular street tires accept innertubes? Is there any reason to, at this point?

Edit: Edit: Did I mention that the kickstart makes me feel awesome and accomplished? Because it does.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I switched to a little round ~3 inch mirror that I stuck on my bars that I really like instead of a huge set but you might want more visibility when just starting out. They're found pretty cheap on ebay or I even have a few lying around I wouldn't mind sending. Look up Aprilia type mirrors - I want to say Falco type? They're pretty popular as an aftermarket add-on to bikes and will fit the KTM angular lines.

You can put innertubes in a radial sportbike tire. I ran Pilot Powers on my DRZ and had tubes inside. Beware though that they're more expensive than a bicycle tube at least. I think mine were ~20 dollars a piece and they are beastly. If the owner didn't gently caress it up and it holds air well I'd just leave it. Maybe go over his work with some more silicone if you're paranoid. Lots of people recommend contiforce tires but I never had much luck finding a cheap set when I searched before. Powers always worked really well for me and the 150 rear is pretty drat cheap.

Now if you just want to ride that thing up to college station I can appropriately "check it out" for you :haw:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If its going to be a toy, go nuts with the Huskies and converted dirtbikes and whatnot.

If its going to have to get you to work in the morning, go for a DRZ, WRX, or a newer LC4.

What are you saying? My Huskie got me to work every day this week.

spandexcajun posted:

I hear a Husqvarna 610sm is a pretty great, fast, and reliable bike and I now want one. Howerver, I dont think it would be easy to find one. I the 690 KTM is awesome but way too much money and also hard to find.

Just keep an eye out. When I was sumo shopping, a bunch of people had bubba'd out DRZ400s way out in bumblefuck, Georgia. I searched for SM610s on Craigslist, and lo and behold, one came up for sale in stock condition less than a mile from where I work.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
I had Aprilia/Motoguzzi/Ducati/etc mirrors on my DRZ, but I guess the Italians never had to deal with vibration?

I replaced both mirrors with smaller inboard units, I may be imagining things but losing that tiny bit of weight makes the steering feel (in my head at least?) noticeabley lighter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

What are you saying? My Huskie got me to work every day this week.

SO FAR

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Which huskie do you own? It seems like most big bikes just happen to get away with longer maintenance intervals. Chances are even a CRF/YZ, etc can be ridden quite a long rear end time with just valve checks / adjustments but they might be down on performance or might catastrophically fail. If you've got the money to back them up these bikes are WAY more fun though, period.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JP Money posted:

Which huskie do you own? It seems like most big bikes just happen to get away with longer maintenance intervals. Chances are even a CRF/YZ, etc can be ridden quite a long rear end time with just valve checks / adjustments but they might be down on performance or might catastrophically fail. If you've got the money to back them up these bikes are WAY more fun though, period.

It's the SM610, and it's due for maintenance if I want to keep commuting on it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Excuse my mental retardation there, I looked at the posts on my phone then posted on here :x How often do you do valve checks? Something like the 625 above or some other big thumper is what I'd really like to get next but I've also been contemplating trading off the R6 for a WRX just to see what it's like. Fuel injection is something I would REALLY like to keep. It's so nice on the few cold mornings we get here to just hit the button and not have to deal with any strange occurrences. My DRZ was jetted well but sometimes on the coldest days it would get a demon in it and be a bitch to start. That kickstart on the 625 could be a godsend some day.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

An observer posted:

So,

:laffo:

I want a supermoto at some point, but I am wee and it looks like that'll be a problem. Is it possible to lower it so I'm not hanging my entire rear end off the side at stoplights?

I wanna hoon :qq:

Hopefully you've already been convinced to get one, but just wanted to add that I only have a couple inseam inches on you, so I'm almost on tiptoes on my DRZ at a stop. I just slide over and plant one foot or the other -- not at all a problem on a light bike. It felt a little weird to do at first but now it's automatic and feels normal. I don't think you'll have a problem.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Just keep an eye out. When I was sumo shopping, a bunch of people had bubba'd out DRZ400s way out in bumblefuck, Georgia. I searched for SM610s on Craigslist, and lo and behold, one came up for sale in stock condition less than a mile from where I work.

I'll be damned, found one in a town on the eastern planes about 1.5 hours away from Denver. Guy just emailed me back, said he still owns on the loan and just wants it gone. 2009 610SM with 2400 miles on the clock. poo poo, that is pretty much want I am looking for. He is asking 5 grand which is about right or a little high. If I try to get it I think my SV650 will have to go, and I love it and just got new tires / front springs / rear shock :( I'll have to go at least check it out. Truth is I rarely get out for long rides anymore (can't think of the last time I had a 250+ mile day) so a SM is looking even better.

Safety Dance, I'm a big guy, how do you think I will fit a 610sm? 6'3" 215lbs. I know what I like about these bikes, what don't you like about yours? How is it on the highway? I know it will suck I just wonder if it is tolerable.

Stupid thread, making me make financially irresponsible choices.

MetaJew, awesome ride. Egg me on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Safety Dance, I'm a big guy, how do you think I will fit a 610sm? 6'3" 215lbs. I know what I like about these bikes, what don't you like about yours? How is it on the highway? I know it will suck I just wonder if it is tolerable.

Stupid thread, making me make financially irresponsible choices.

MetaJew, awesome ride. Egg me on.

I'm about 6'1, but 250lbs. I bought a Seat Concepts replacement seat for mine about a week after I got it. The stock seat was uncomfortable after about half an hour otherwise. With the Seat Concepts seat, I can ride about three hours taking normal breaks before my butt starts to hurt. Also on the long distance riding front, I wish the bars were a little higher -- my back was starting to hurt around hour four of touring. The riding position is a little more aggressive than my KLR 650's.

Of course it's got no fairings, so wind buffeting gets a little tiresome after several hard hours on the highway.

The stock rear tire developed a nice flat spot after 150 continuous superslab miles. I'm debating replacing it with a nice dual-compound sumo tire.

I've yet to find a good tank bag or tail bag, but I haven't really been looking hard. The tail bag I have doesn't fit very well.

It can roll forward enough when parked in first to pop up the kickstand if the chain is a little too slack. I usually counteract this by rolling it all the way forward to take up driveline slack before I set it down when parked.

Related to the previous issue, the stock clutch lever and indicator lens break pretty easily when dropped. The ASV clutch lever that says it's for all Husqvarnas does not fit this one. Fortunately, parts are cheap through the dealer network.

I managed to kick my right rear indicator hard enough to break the stalk once. Again, parts are cheap (I think the entire indicator assembly is like $13).

Pillion seat is entirely theoretical.

Uh, the exhaust can be uncomfortably hot sometimes if it's really hot outside and you're sitting in traffic with your right leg down, left leg on the peg.

You can't set the in-dash clock to 24 hour time unless it's also displaying KPH.

Other than these niggles, it's a great commuting bike. If I was trying to go more than about 200 miles in a day, I'd try to do so on a more touring-oriented bike, if I had one at my disposal.

Edit: also, the steering lock is on the side of the thingy, rather than being integrated with the ignition.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
God damnit goons, tell me this is a horrible idea and I shouldn't spend more money.

I've finally put myself in a position where I have enough to get a second bike and I've been toying with the notion of getting a supermoto to hoon on. This is where THIS loving THING RIGHT HERE enters the picture.

craigslist posted:

REDUCED PRICE.
Sickest DRZ400 SUPERMOTO SETUP$4100 (Hollywood)

2006 DRZ400S (SM Conversion) says 18k miles but is actually much lower. The speedo is still from the s version. runs amazingly well!, lots of functional performance and visual upgrades, head turner loud and reliable , expensive super moto rims and tires -not the stock sm wheels but excel rims golden talon hubs, super clean 4000 firm. COME AND GET IT NOW. Excellent bike wont last. CA Plated, Street legal -
Dual Sport Motorcycle.Clean Pink Title in hand, ready for a new hand

Always Full Synthetic and all proper maintenance.

PERFORMANCE UPGRADES :
- Emissions can removed.
- Dynojet kit
- Bigger main jet(really opens up well and feels torque)
- Extended adjustable fuel screw
- Proper 3x3 Intake mod
- MCCT(Manuel Cam Chain Tensioner)
- FMF Full Q4 Exhaust, sounds awesome and loud, BRAFFFF!
- UNI Air Filter
- Front yellow covered steel brake line

TIRES AND RIMS
SuperMoto/ Street / Canyon! SETUP:
- Black 17" Excel Takasago supermoto rims w/ Gold Talon Hubs
- Wrapped in almost brand new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (Nice 160 wide rear)
- EBC Webbed 320mm Front brake Rotor (together with the steel line, amazing braking power)
- Rear sprocket specifically for the street and higher speeds
- 320mm brake caliper adapter

VISUAL UPGRADES:
-Yellow Torch X2 head light
-Steel Reinforced, black hand guards
-Yellow Supermoto Style plastics, from the newer sm models
- Black side panels, made by Acerbis
- Blue and Yellow Suzuki seat cover, and seat slightly lowered and made to have a step up.
- Small DOT approved front and rear turn signals
- Edge flush rear brake and plate light w/ license plate holder

TEXT or CALL
Thanks, Dmitry 323 4o1 four507
NO Low ballers PLEASE! I am firm and 4100 is a great price!
Also here are some videos, i made with the bike;

Video is not great but fast forward to the the end of this video, i do a walk around of the drz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_1BZd8AYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zRMQOKZR98

I really want a supermoto. Really really really. God help me I'm ready to pull the trigger on this right now but I know I'm not thinking objectively. This is where I need your help. I don't know much about good things to do to a DRZ except what was described a few posts above me.

Looking at the craigslist post it's kind of overwhelming in a sense. I see it's had lots done to it but I don't know anything about how they were done. Is there anything about this that jumps out and screams bad idea? What kind of problems should I look for here? It's obviously had a lot of work done to it, where would someone screw up installing all of this? Even if the bike has less than 18k on the engine what besides a valve check is coming up soon? Chain/sprockets? ect.

Also, I know it's fairly difficult to ride a bike manufactured by one of the big four into the ground, and the DRZ is known for its bulletproof reliability but let's just speak hypothetically here. Lets say the owner had abused the bike, obviously I'd want to take it for a test ride but what should I be looking for? Any key area damages I could easily overlook? What should I be feeling for when riding it? This is also going to be the first bike I've bought private party, what kind of recourse do I have if I end up getting hosed and the engine grenades itself as soon as I get a block down the road?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets just step through the ad shall we? I've owned a couple DRZ's and have been around more than a few throughout the years.

• 2006 DRZ400S (SM Conversion) says 18k miles but is actually much lower - Probably true, as the 17's will spin faster at a given ground speed than the 21" wheel will. Still beat him up over it though, and push the fact that the true mileage is unknown.

• not the stock sm wheels but excel rims golden talon hubs - A good thing, the stock SM wheels are pretty great, these are one step better

• Emissions can removed - Overall this is a good thing for performance. Make sure he didnt botch the job though, look for the blockoff plates.

• Dynojet kit - This is a given on all DRZ's not much to mess up here. The bigger main jet listed after this probably goes with it. The extended fuel screw and 3x3 are par for the course on most DRZ's. UNI air filter is fine as well.

• MCCT(Manuel Cam Chain Tensioner) - I dont know why the name of the guy who installed the cam chain tensioner matters, but either way, a manual cam chain tensioner is a good thing. CCT failures on 2006+ DRZ's are really rare, but better safe than sorry

• FMF Full Q4 Exhaust, sounds awesome and loud, BRAFFFF - Find out if he gutted the pipe or something, the Q in Q4 stands for Quiet. This pipe should be a bit throatier than the stock pipe. If he gutted it prepare for it to actually sound like poo poo and not "awesome".

• EBC 320mm brake, stainless line and caliper adapter - More good stuff. Takes what is already a good braking system and makes it great.

• Visual upgrades - This is all of course subjective, if you like them, great, if not, well its subjective. The DRC edge tail light is THE replacement tail light for the DRZ.

Other than that, ask about the Loctite fixes and whether he's done them (detailed here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/), if so, bonus.

Try to feel him out on how he rode it, was he a stunter? Did it spend its life in dirt? Does he do burnouts all day on it? Did it sit at the rev limiter constantly? As you mentioned, the DRZ is stout, so what you're looking for is obvious abuse, coming mainly through how he treated it. There are DRZ's that are exposed constantly to the above mentioned things and are just fine, as long as they get the maintenance they need. There are also DRZ's that are ridden lightly but never maintained and are ready to die, so its a double edged sword, just try to feel him out as a bike owner.

What to look for? The engine can be noisy, so if you hear some clicks and such coming from the top end, dont worry too much. If you hear loud or deep knocks, run away. The transmission can be notchy (and will feel downright broken when the bike is ready for an oil change), so if you're used to something like a GSXR transmission, it will feel weird.

As for that particular bike? I dont know what the market is like in Hollywood, and I suspect its a more expensive bike than it would be here in Milwaukee, but here, that is not a $4k bike. Actual SM's go for $3500 to $4000 in good shape. If that bike is in good shape, I would expect to see about $3000 for it here. I would push him on the mileage and the fact that its 10 different colors and so is obviously assembled from multiple bikes/parts.

I would feel good about getting below $3K for that, but in good shape I'd move up into the $3K range. Like I said, these rules may not apply in Hollywood, but either way, theres my feelings on it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 25, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Kickstart-only update: gently caress kickstarts!

I stopped to fill it up with gas on the way to my brother's house where we'll be fixing it up. It started up easily enough at my apartment. After trying to carefully fill the ridiculously small tank without splashing fuel everywhere, I go to to start it and it would occasionally sputter, but not turn on. Of course I began to get incredibly claustrophobic in my leathers and helmet, took a break, had a harley riderr ask if I need a jump, and then finally got it running. Then on my way to my destination I must've let out the clutch a little too abruptly and stalled it in a residential neighborhood. Trying to start it again was an awful experience. Fortunately I wasn't too far from where I was going, and I was brought some water. After a break I finally got it running again.

I'm not sure what the trick is since I've been doing the same thing every time. Bring it to top dead center with some help from the compression release, push the crank just slightly past top dead center, and then kick it. We'll see if I can perfect it anymore. But now, priority number one and two are to get a new set of tires (at least the rear since the chain looks like it's rubbed) and pick up an Li-Ion battery and reinstall the starter.

And I've probably sweat my entire body weight in water today.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Kickstart-only update: gently caress kickstarts!

I stopped to fill it up with gas on the way to my brother's house where we'll be fixing it up. It started up easily enough at my apartment. After trying to carefully fill the ridiculously small tank without splashing fuel everywhere, I go to to start it and it would occasionally sputter, but not turn on. Of course I began to get incredibly claustrophobic in my leathers and helmet, took a break, had a harley riderr ask if I need a jump, and then finally got it running. Then on my way to my destination I must've let out the clutch a little too abruptly and stalled it in a residential neighborhood. Trying to start it again was an awful experience. Fortunately I wasn't too far from where I was going, and I was brought some water. After a break I finally got it running again.

I'm not sure what the trick is since I've been doing the same thing every time. Bring it to top dead center with some help from the compression release, push the crank just slightly past top dead center, and then kick it. We'll see if I can perfect it anymore. But now, priority number one and two are to get a new set of tires (at least the rear since the chain looks like it's rubbed) and pick up an Li-Ion battery and reinstall the starter.

And I've probably sweat my entire body weight in water today.

I guess there's a reason electric start was invented. My wife has a 74 cb400 with a kickstart, she uses the electric start, although I dont think the kickstart is too hard. I should try it some time.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

gently caress kickstarts!

Nonsense, kick starts are awesome. If I get a husky 610 sm first mod I do will be to add a kickstart if possible ( I have not kicked a bike over in years :) )

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Nonsense, kick starts are awesome. If I get a husky 610 sm first mod I do will be to add a kickstart if possible ( I have not kicked a bike over in years :) )

Not sumo related, but my 78 xs1100 has a kick start as well as electric :smug:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I think it might be a hotstart issue with the carb. I'm going to pull the plug tomorrow and see if it's running too rich.

Don't get me wrong, kickstarts are cool... When they work.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MetaJew posted:

Don't get me wrong, kickstarts are cool... When they work.

I could never get my Husky 450 to start with the kickstarter. I read all kinds of guides and it still never worked once. Then the kickstarter vibrated off the bike and I didn't realize it for three days and couldn't find it. Popular opinion was not to use it anyway because the engine blocks were made in Czechoslovakia that year and can crack from kickstarting. I really would like to kick over a bike someday though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not sumo related, but my 78 xs1100 has a kick start as well as electric :smug:

Lol wow. That must be like a 1.1:1 compression ratio, or geared really low on the kickstarter.

My old CB750 had a kickstarter and I thought that was crazy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Would CA drive 5-6 hours round-trip to do a sumo race in the rain? I figure it's either an easier way to start getting comfortable sliding around or a horrible idea that will leave me hating my bike and myself.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Gnaghi posted:

Would CA drive 5-6 hours round-trip to do a sumo race in the rain? I figure it's either an easier way to start getting comfortable sliding around or a horrible idea that will leave me hating my bike and myself.

I would try to trailer the bike... Riding the track is about not holding back, which risks a crash. Either you'll hold back and enjoy it less, or risk a crash and be hosed.

SO I did a 6 day ~1600 mile trip on the 690 with some friends:

Port ORFORD, OR

I know my bars aren't centered wanna fight?

Some bridge in OR

More photos

Seattle to Hood River, OR to Eugene to the coast, south to Nor Cal, North to Crater Lake, and Back. The 690 did better than I expected. The bike is roomy enough to stretch while riding and the sleeping bag was a great back rest. It only felt insufficient on I90 over the mountains for 5 hours in the wind.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol wow. That must be like a 1.1:1 compression ratio, or geared really low on the kickstarter.

My old CB750 had a kickstarter and I thought that was crazy.

I think it's a "use this in emergencies" thing, it doesn't come with the kickstarter but the shaft is there if you want to buy one. Which I did :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Gullous posted:

I would try to trailer the bike... Riding the track is about not holding back, which risks a crash. Either you'll hold back and enjoy it less, or risk a crash and be hosed.

Oh I'm definitely not riding there, Husky's going in the back of my truck. I was just wondering what to expect from a rain race day.

1600 miles on a sumo is a good stretch, what tires did you have on there and did they last? I'm gonna need to replace the distanzas on the WRX soon and would like to go the "sumo-touring" route.

• Locked thread